• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

characters you DON'T want in smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Luckily for me I want the characters I want because I actually like them and not because of the relevancy meme.
So its a meme for me to put more value in series who are alive and kicking instead of riding my nostalgia my whole life. Lmao.

I want to try and explain that its ok to like what you like but you’ve made it clear I’d be wasting my time already so. :T

EDIT: The hell is this nonsense about needing a pass to not want something in? No one needs your ****ing approval to dislike something ffs...

Its my opinion to have. Get over it.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm not against Geno tho
But are you against a character. It doesn't matter the reason. You either are okay with everyone in Smash, or you're not okay with everyone in Smash. There's no inbetween. You've made it clear it's hard to find a character you think shouldn't be in. But you did find one. You just aren't against a lot of characters in general. And that's fine too. But it is a double standard. If you're fine with anyone being in Smash, that means there can't be an exception to that either. If there is, you aren't literally fine with anyone being in Smash.

And honestly, there's no reason to think somebody should be okay with any possible character. We all have biases, and that's not a bad thing whatsoever. Having different tastes makes life interesting.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
But are you against a character. It doesn't matter the reason. You either are okay with everyone in Smash, or you're not okay with everyone in Smash. There's no inbetween. You've made it clear it's hard to find a character you think shouldn't be in. But you did find one. You just aren't against a lot of characters in general. And that's fine too. But it is a double standard. If you're fine with anyone being in Smash, that means there can't be an exception to that either. If there is, you aren't literally fine with anyone being in Smash.

And honestly, there's no reason to think somebody should be okay with any possible character. We all have biases, and that's not a bad thing whatsoever. Having different tastes makes life interesting.
Life is interesting for you? Luckyyyy hahahaa

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Apart from Goku, because I'd prefer Smash to stay gaming mascots, the only other character I could think of that I wouldn't like in Smash would be Steve from Minecraft. I find that design really unappealing and kinda ugly to look at, and Smash has all of these amazing character designs, while Steve just feels kinda basic and boring to me.

If we were to have something to represent Minecraft tho, a Minecraft stage would be kinda neat! I find the environments of that game to be the more iconic thing about it, and Steve is kinda...ehhh...

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
You joined literally this month and have like 31 posts.

So its a meme for me to put more value in series who are alive and kicking instead of riding my nostalgia my whole life. Lmao.
Yes. If you want a character only because they've recently been in a game instead of any genuine reasons then you've bought into the "muh relevancy" meme and hard.

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I'm partially against Geno just because I think it sets an odd precedence- sure he has a following, buGt he's niche, his game is old, he wasn't even the main character, and people could made similar arguments about other characters who I think most would agree shouldn't be in the game. For example, Fawful is way more relevant with that Superstar Saga remake and checks similar boxes, so what, besides SMRPG's cult following, makes Geno so much more likely? Just because I saw it recently, someone could argue that Crono from Chrono Trigger should have Geno's spot and it'd be hard to argue against it without being semantic. Banjo also could get similar arguments, and though I have no experience with the series, I think it deserves it a little more than Geno.

That said, while I don't quite get it, I wouldn't be completely against Geno making it in- almost just for the sake of making his fans happy. Everyone has dream reps that don't make sense on paper, so I say let 'em have 'em. Isaac from Golden Sun checks similar boxes (though is first party and his game's lead) and Sora is my pipe dream choice (it won't happen), so I get that Geno has fans, just not why he's so much more likely than others. If Geno makes it, I'll probably roll my eyes a little because it wasn't my dream character, but I'll be happy for his fans and I'll get over it quickly.

So... I guess that really only leaves certain rival company mascots and non-game characters (like anime ones) that I'm opposed to. Spyro and Crash personally seem like poor choices to me, since they directly represent a rival of Nintendo's and don't have a good presence on Nintendo systems. You know what, though? I was against Sonic and Pac-Man because I wanted Smash to represent Nintendo's all stars and not just gaming in general. They grew on me though, as did Ryu, so I would probably get used to whoever winds up in the game eventually, especially if they're fun to play as.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm partially against Geno just because I think it sets an odd precedence- sure he has a following, buGt he's niche, his game is old, he wasn't even the main character, and people could made similar arguments about other characters who I think most would agree shouldn't be in the game. For example, Fawful is way more relevant with that Superstar Saga remake and checks similar boxes, so what, besides SMRPG's cult following, makes Geno so much more likely? Just because I saw it recently, someone could argue that Crono from Chrono Trigger should have Geno's spot and it'd be hard to argue against it without being semantic. Banjo also could get similar arguments, and though I have no experience with the series, I think it deserves it a little more than Geno.

That said, while I don't quite get it, I wouldn't be completely against Geno making it in- almost just for the sake of making his fans happy. Everyone has dream reps that don't make sense on paper, so I say let 'em have 'em. Isaac from Golden Sun checks similar boxes (though is first party and his game's lead) and Sora is my pipe dream choice (it won't happen), so I get that Geno has fans, just not why he's so much more likely than others. If Geno makes it, I'll probably roll my eyes a little because it wasn't my dream character, but I'll be happy for his fans and I'll get over it quickly.

So... I guess that really only leaves certain rival company mascots and non-game characters (like anime ones) that I'm opposed to. Spyro and Crash personally seem like poor choices to me, since they directly represent a rival of Nintendo's and don't have a good presence on Nintendo systems. You know what, though? I was against Sonic and Pac-Man because I wanted Smash to represent Nintendo's all stars and not just gaming in general. They grew on me though, as did Ryu, so I would probably get used to whoever winds up in the game eventually, especially if they're fun to play as.
Geno is more likely because Sakurai wants him in. That's literally a major edge that no other Square character has at this point(Cloud was the only big gun and competition, and Sakurai wanted him as well due to his massive gaming history).

Crono doesn't have this factor. Maybe Sakurai is interested in him. Maybe he's not. But we don't know and thus it's pointless to say any other Square character is more likely than Geno when Sakurai's blessing is a lot stronger than just personal opinions. He also has noted fan demand, which is part of why he was a costume, but the fact Sakurai wanted him in since Brawl also played a role. Just having fan demand may not do enough. If Sakurai doesn't want a character in, it can be as simple as "nope, not doing it". For whatever other reason it'll be. Besides that, Crono isn't anywhere all that iconic, not at least on Slime's level(or how big Dragon Quest in general is). So he's a bad comparison. Super Mario RPG is also a very famous game, though a bit obscure for a Mario game. But he's not a niche character anyway. He's a fan favorite from an extremely popular game. He's more comparable to Banjo in general anyway. Banjo has extreme fan demand, from a two-hit wonder(the games after the N64, while reasonable sellers, have nowhere near the famous impact it has on Nintendo fans. Though Banjo & Kazooie didn't heavily shape the gaming world, they did help a few games. You know what also did? Super Mario RPG. Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi owe their existence to it, as both were based upon how the games work. Paper Mario only exists because it was a planned sequel to Super Mario RPG. M&L is less obvious, but a good chunk of its mechanics were based upon that game, and even Geno made a cameo in the original version).

Spyro nor Crash are company mascots. They're not owned by Sony and just started there. They're literally as much of a company mascot as Fighter from FF1 is for Nintendo. As in, not at all. Company mascots have to actually be owned by the company. Oddly enough, Microsoft didn't have an original 1st party character, but bought out Halo among other games too. Master Chief and Steve? are basically their biggest mascots. There's other smaller ones that are very easy to recognize and have big gaming history too(Fulgore, for instance. Though it's harder to remember the names of some characters from many 1st party games, too. Microsoft is kind of weird in that regard. Like Sony, it doesn't have many clear mascots or even a general set of major 1st party characters. Neither company ever did. Nintendo and Sega were two of the few known for this, who had 1st party characters. Microsoft and Sony's platforms suffer from the issue of most games being 3rd party as is. Crash, Spyro, Final Fantasy, and good luck even telling who Microsoft owns at times. There's such a tiny slew it's ridiculous).

Heck, take a look at PlayStation All-Stars. Many of them are relevant to the PlayStation, but it has barely a single 1st party character. And there's good reasons for that. Almost every Sony game is 3rd party to begin with. Including this one. Sony is a electronics company first, and a gaming platform second. Microsoft is similar, with PC first, gaming second. This leads to the fact that they don't create a ton of their own games due to not being focused solely on gaming. Unlike Nintendo, and well, Sega before they fall. Atari too, but to be fair, the amount of 1st party games is even harder to say at this point. Heck, is Spy VS Spy even 1st party at the time of creation?(obviously ones like Fulgore were 1st party Nintendo characters, and now are 1st party for Microsoft and 3rd party for Nintendo. In a twist? Fulgore was never 3rd party at any point in Microsoft's history. It never appeared on a Microsoft system till after being bought out. Funny that). But you get the point, hopefully. The whole "company mascot" is something that is actually rare these days if you're not named Nintendo or Sega. In fact, Banjo & Kazooie are Rareware's own one, but aren't Microsoft's own mascot. As it's a different situation. If you want an actual Sony Company Mascot, look no further than Nathan Drake, an actual 1st party character.

Though I get what you mean, that you feel that characters who felt like they were All-Stars of another system shouldn't be in Smash. Just remember that All-Star =/= Company Mascot. It implies a company owns them when they don't(and in many cases, never once did).

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
You joined literally this month and have like 31 posts.

Yes. If you want a character only because they've recently been in a game instead of any genuine reasons then you've bought into the "muh relevancy" meme and hard.
WhendidIsayIonlywantcharactersbecauseofrelevencey OH WAIT I NEVER DID. IMAGINE THAT.

Can we stop being salty others have different opinions please? I dunno why you come into a thread about having dissenting opinions just to say the ones you don't like are dumb. Just because I agree with a viewpoint doesn't mean I "bought into" anything. I just have a different opinion.....this really isn't hard, dude.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
WhendidIsayIonlywantcharactersbecauseofrelevencey OH WAIT I NEVER DID. IMAGINE THAT.

Can we stop being salty others have different opinions please? I dunno why you come into a thread about having dissenting opinions just to say the ones you don't like are dumb. Just because I agree with a viewpoint doesn't mean I "bought into" anything. I just have a different opinion.....this really isn't hard, dude.
I just thought it was ironic how you tooted the relevancy trumpet so hard while planning to main an irrelevant (note that "irrelevant" doesn't mean "bad" here) character in Smash Ultimate.

Then you got super defensive for some reason.

Last edited:

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
Is this the norm? People discarding someone's opinion because they "literally joined this month"? This is the second time today I've seen someone say that, and if that's the norm, what sort of incentive does someone like me have to stick around if my opinion would simply get disregarded for "being new"?

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
Is this the norm? People discarding someone's opinion because they "literally joined this month"? This is the second time today I've seen someone say that, and if that's the norm, what sort of incentive does someone like me have to stick around if my opinion would simply get disregarded for "being new"?
It's the norm in a thread that's specifically made to make people mad and start arguments, anywhere else and as long as you're civil anyone is welcome.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I like Tails as a character but
I'm gonna go ahead and say I don't want Shadow. And I say that because he'll probably be an echo. This game does not need two Sonics.
Its not just Shadow I agree with it, I also feel like Tails isn't necessary either. He's a likable character but he seems to be seriously bland fighting wise. I just can't imagine it.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I just thought it was ironic how you tooted the relevancy trumpet so hard while planning to main an irrelevant (note that "irrelevant" doesn't mean "bad" here) character in Smash Ultimate.

Then you got super defensive for some reason.
No I just called out your bad arguments and didn’t understand your problem. :laugh:

Edit: for the sake of the thread: I don’t care for Buzzwole, either. Hes pretty much the Waluigi of Gen 7. He’d be funny for a minute cause of the memes but Incineroar has way more potential as a character, imho.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I wouldn't worry to much about it, it's the internet, you'll come across those who think their opinion is the be-all-end-all anywhere you go. For the most part, the people here are rather civil and respectful, don't let a couple of outliers ruin your experience. If anything, those attacking a person's "newness" will be the ones members will take to negatively.

It's the norm in a thread that's specifically made to make people mad and start arguments, anywhere else and as long as you're civil anyone is welcome.
Overall, I think people might get a little more spicy here simply because it's the only real place for those to express their not wants. You can't go into a character support thread and express your distaste for said character without either derailing the thread or riling up the support base. So it's good to have a place where you can express your lack of interest for particular characters and why.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
No I just called out your bad arguments and didn’t understand your problem. :laugh:

Edit: for the sake of the thread: I don’t care for Buzzwole, either. Hes pretty much the Waluigi of Gen 7. He’d be funny for a minute cause of the memes but Incineroar has way more potential as a character, imho.
Bad arguments don't make people as defensive as you got.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
This thread is a mistake.

Also just gonna day I don’t like Tapu Koko as a gen 7 Rep because I feel it’s moveset is lacking. Most of the other speculated choices I can imagine a fun moveset for, but Koko seems dull. Also having a third electric type is not something I would want personally.

Pacman High Tier

Smash Cadet
NNID
judetheloon
Switch FC
SW-4116-2252-3537
I don't want Marx. He's so comparitively minor compared to Dark Matter or even Magolor and I don't know why he of all Kirby villains is so wanted, even with Star Allies. If he got in it would deconfirm a chance of a more important or better Kirby villain.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
No more third party characters. No shadow the Hedgehog. Heck, remove Sonic, since his moveset is boring and uninteresting. No steve from Minecraft, no more Fe characters, no Xenoblade characters, no more semi-clones or clones (*cough*Dr. Mario*cough*), no more advertisements (*ahem*Corrin*ahem*), no fourth parties (*excuse me*Goku*coughs again*), no joke characters (*cough wow I must have a cold*Wii Fit Trainer*sniff*), and lastly no more sword wielders or punch/kickers (creative movesets please).

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
You have Galacta Knight and Masked Man in your sig.
It's because you can come up with a moveset for them that isn't just the sword, you can use their stuff from the boss fights too (Lasers, tornadoes, PSI, etc.). Unlike other sword wielders (Link, Marth, & co.), who have poorly chosen movesets for design.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
It's because you can come up with a moveset for them that isn't just the sword, you can use their stuff from the boss fights too (Lasers, tornadoes, PSI, etc.). Unlike other sword wielders (Link, Marth, & co.), who have poorly chosen movesets for design.
So in other words, “MY sword wielders have moveset potential, all others don’t and should not be in smash”?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm not saying they should be removed, nor do the others not have potential. I'm saying the current SW's have untapped potential that Sakurai seems unwilling to add, most likely because they're too afraid to completely overhaul a character's moveset (which is semi-reasonable). If they can't at least make our current Sw's better, then why add more.

And besides holy crap man it's just a signature, ever heard of MYOB?

UserKev

Smash Champion
I can't stand the Chorus Kids. Keep them to singing. Bring in Rhythm girl.

I personally don't want anymore echo fighters either. Ruins the charm of them as their supposed to be a small group and creates more repetitive speculation. Daisy and Dark Samus are the last echoes that really feel necessary, honestly.

Last edited:

CleverDan

Smash Cadet
The Chorus Kids popularity baffles me. I honestly believe the Gematsu leak mistook Marshal for one of them. I'd love a Rhythm Heaven character, but one like Tibby or Karate Joe.

Crash Bandicoot. I was never a Crash fan but I'm willing to give his remake trilogy a try, although the not-side scrolling platforming just looks frustrating. I also feel third-parties in Smash need to have some gaming industry impact to be added, (except Bayonetta got around this by having her 2nd and 3rd games be Nintendo published). I never felt Crash got the levels of Mario and Sonic, but more like Billy Hatcher or Klonoa.

Ninten and Black Shadow. I feel both of these characters are very generic design-wise and in personality. I think most of their support is out of obligation to give their series more reps. Adding "all three Mother protagonists" feels like a bad reason. At least Porky would be a unique villian with ties to both Ness and Lucas. Black Shadow wears an all black outfit with horns and a cape who tries to defeat Falcon until the bigger bad shows up. Goroh would be more interesting but he's back as an assist already.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The Chorus Kids popularity baffles me. I honestly believe the Gematsu leak mistook Marshal for one of them. I'd love a Rhythm Heaven character, but one like Tibby or Karate Joe.

Crash Bandicoot. I was never a Crash fan but I'm willing to give his remake trilogy a try, although the not-side scrolling platforming just looks frustrating. I also feel third-parties in Smash need to have some gaming industry impact to be added, (except Bayonetta got around this by having her 2nd and 3rd games be Nintendo published). I never felt Crash got the levels of Mario and Sonic, but more like Billy Hatcher or Klonoa.

Ninten and Black Shadow. I feel both of these characters are very generic design-wise and in personality. I think most of their support is out of obligation to give their series more reps. Adding "all three Mother protagonists" feels like a bad reason. At least Porky would be a unique villian with ties to both Ness and Lucas. Black Shadow wears an all black outfit with horns and a cape who tries to defeat Falcon until the bigger bad shows up. Goroh would be more interesting but he's back as an assist already.
Chrous kids is part ironic request, part meme, and very very small part genuine request

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Goku.

Why do people even request him? Is it because Dragon Ball is popular. It's not even Third Party to begin with. Heck I'd even give Master Chief and Scorpion better chances of getting in and that's stretching it. At least they're video game characters which he even isn't in the first place.

Chorus Kids are another. If Smash is to get an Rhythm Heaven rep it should be Karate Joe. He has more going for him.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's not even Third Party to begin with.
Yes, yes it is. Nintendo doesn't own it. Therefore, they're 3rd party characters. 4th party is just a nickname for non-game 3rd parties, but they're always going to be 3rd parties if Nintendo does not own them. There are zero exceptions to this factor.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yes, yes it is. Nintendo doesn't own it. Therefore, they're 3rd party characters. 4th party is just a nickname for non-game 3rd parties, but they're always going to be 3rd parties if Nintendo does not own them. There are zero exceptions to this factor.
Always thought Third Party referred to those not owned but otherwise has history or close ties with such as Hideo being friends with Sakurai hence Snakes inclusion as he was intended for Melee but was left out due the game already far in development by the time he begged him to add Snake.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Always thought Third Party referred to those not owned but otherwise has history or close ties with such as Hideo being friends with Sakurai hence Snakes inclusion as he was intended for Melee but was left out due the game already far in development by the time he begged him to add Snake.
Nope, 3rd party literally just means "Nintendo does not own them" when it comes to Smash. To clarify, 3rd party is any company that is not owned by the parent company's system owner. So, say, Gamefreak makes a game for the PlayStation. As Sony does not own GameFreak, it's a 3rd party game.

To say the least, context matters. So Master Chief is 3rd party on any Nintendo system or game on Nintendo, but 1st party on a Microsoft game. He has a 3rd party appearance on Minecraft Switch via a costume.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Nope, 3rd party literally just means "Nintendo does not own them" when it comes to Smash. To clarify, 3rd party is any company that is not owned by the parent company's system owner. So, say, Gamefreak makes a game for the PlayStation. As Sony does not own GameFreak, it's a 3rd party game.

To say the least, context matters. So Master Chief is 3rd party on any Nintendo system or game on Nintendo, but 1st party on a Microsoft game. He has a 3rd party appearance on Minecraft Switch via a costume.
Ah thanks for correcting me then.

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
Guys do you at least know the Rhythm heaven series ? The chorus kids are as if not more iconic than Joe. There is less mini games involving them than Karate Joe sure but it's them that are used in various stuff to promote the game.

And no Marshall and Tibby are clearly not iconic on top on being very annoying.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I don't want Marx. He's so comparitively minor compared to Dark Matter or even Magolor and I don't know why he of all Kirby villains is so wanted, even with Star Allies. If he got in it would deconfirm a chance of a more important or better Kirby villain.
9k=.jpeg

He’s just a fun cute little guy who wants to destroy

Geno, If we’re going for gameing incons here I would rather see Lara Croft from Square

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
There's no characters I hate enough to not want, but as far as fan requests, I could care less if Sora, Waluigi or Goku make it in; Sora was just a vehicle to travel the Disney worlds, Waluigi doesn't have moves and Goku isn't from games.

Last edited:

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I'll say one I think most of us can get behind, one that I think looms over Smash 5 like a gross 'lol-random' spectre - A Playable Rabbid.

I feel as though they are sleeper-likely as they are one of the only franchises to partner with Mario, represent a huge partner to Nintendo - Ubisoft (sorry Rayman fans, Rabbids are probably more iconic these days somehow), and their partnership game turned out amazing - far better than they have any right to be.

I fear we're getting these lumpy lol-randoms, and noone else sees it coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom