• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters who should had made the cut?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not counting characters who are Spirits because we don't know if they deconfirm or not. I'm talking about characters who had been downright deconfirmed like assists.

One in particular I felt should had gotten in was Isaac IMO. Not for myself but the fans of him. I feel it wasn't fair me and the K. Rool fans gotten our boi yet they didn't considering he's been asked for just as long and the way Isaac was revealed is especially a huge slap in the face being he was absent in 4 but returns as an assist in this game combined with the fact that he was revealed at the last minute rather then earlier which would had saved them all the pain of not going through all that pointless speculation especially with the "hints" like the Rathalos image or item which made it seemed like Sakurai had been trolling with them. This is the only time I felt he honestly screwed the pooch.

What about you guys?

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I’m biased obviously, but Skull Kid. Zelda is in such dire need of another rep and I really think Skull Kid is the one, apart from maybe an echo Impa. He’s so wildly iconic and would provide a super unique moveset, it’s such a shame Sakurai didn’t realize his potential.

Although Shadow got completely and utterly snubbed. He’s the only character I’m legit kinda salty didn’t make it, because he seemed like such a lock up until the end that I honestly have to wonder what Sakurai was thinking in leaving him out.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Yeah, Shovel Knight should have been playable. Judging by his assist moves, he could of been considered. Mayhaps.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Judging by his assist moves, he could of been considered. Mayhaps.
According to Sakurai no cuts were made in Ultimate although I'm kind of still a firm believer Monster Hunter was considered due to the presence of Rathalos.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
To me:

Shadow - Probably the character that in my opinion deserved to be here the most. Had all of the qualifications for a fighter, unique or echo, and was basically a lock when Richter was revealed. Then he was confirmed as an Assist Trophy despite having literally every single thing possible going for him to be there as a playable character. Probably the deconfirmation that stung the most.

Isaac - Long overdue. Golden Sun is a good series and his moveset opens up a ton of possibilities for him.

Shovel Knight - I think Shovel Knight should have been DLC. His series has quite a bit of Spirit representation and was highly requested to be even Smash 4 DLC.

These are the main 3 so far.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Isaac, for sure. And maybe Spring-Man. ARMS deserves recognition, but at the same time if implementing him or Ribbon Girl was problematic, they could use Twintelle, easily ARMS's most popular character.

I'd say Rex or Fiora, but I'm kinda 50-50 on Mii Costumes deconfirming, and I in fact believe Final Smash Appearances are NOT deconfirmations in a post-Chrom world.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
For me, it's Bomberman and Krystal, no question. Isaac and Shadow also deserved to be playable.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Although Shadow got completely and utterly snubbed. He’s the only character I’m legit kinda salty didn’t make it, because he seemed like such a lock up until the end that I honestly have to wonder what Sakurai was thinking in leaving him out.
I didn't know Shadow was a Nintendo character and it was completely up to Sakurai to decide his role.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If we are counting out popularity and are counting just soley importance, than I would say Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee. Those two would actually make the roster feel complete while any other characters would just be a great addition.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If we are counting out popularity and are counting just soley importance, than I would say Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee. Those two would actually make the roster feel complete while any other characters would just be a great addition.
Those characters can be counted too considering it seems they probably won't be getting in.

But yeah I'm especially surprised Dixie didn't make the cut this time since she was even considered for Brawl.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I was honestly surprised that Shadow wasn't an echo fighter.

Same with Black Knight, but less so. When he disappeared from that stage background I thought for sure it meant he was going to be an Ike echo. But then, nope, AT.

According to Sakurai no cuts were made in Ultimate although I'm kind of still a firm believer Monster Hunter was considered due to the presence of Rathalos.
Actually, Rathalos feels more like a last minute addition with the way there is no other MH content in the game. Not even Spirits.

I'm curious if maybe that boss fight didn't start out as one of the dragon final bosses from the FE series, and was converted to Rathalos late in development when a deal was worked out.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Those characters can be counted too considering it seems they probably won't be getting in.

But yeah I'm especially surprised Dixie didn't make the cut this time since she was even considered for Brawl.
If we’re gonna briefly include spirits since those two are also spirits, I’ll throw my hat into the ring yes wrong idiom idc and mention Black Shadow (F-Zero) and Elma (Xenoblade) too. ESPECIALLY Elma. If Rex was too soon and Fiora was relegated to a FS (though I still have hope for a miracle with Fiora at least), Elma was at one point considered THE prime candidate for a new Xenoblade character since X was a HUGE hit on the Wii U.

But nope...we still just have Shulk for Xenoblade. Black Shadow would have been amazing too as another villain and Captain Falcon’s arch nemesis since Samurai Goroh is an Assist Trophy for the third time in a row, and Blood Falcon is an alternate palette.

I have a strong feeling that AT LEAST Elma will shatter expectations and become DLC though. Her VO, Caitlin Glass, is doing a new voice acting project that requires an NDA. And we all know how it went with Adam Howden before Shulk was revealed in the 4 days...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If we’re gonna briefly include spirits since those two are also spirits, I’ll throw my hat into the ring yes wrong idiom idc and mention Black Shadow (F-Zero) and Elma (Xenoblade) too. ESPECIALLY Elma. If Rex was too soon and Fiora was relegated to a FS (though I still have hope for a miracle with Fiora at least), Elma was at one point considered THE prime candidate for a new Xenoblade character since X was a HUGE hit on the Wii U.

But nope...we still just have Shulk for Xenoblade. Black Shadow would have been amazing too as another villain and Captain Falcon’s arch nemesis since Samurai Goroh is an Assist Trophy for the third time in a row, and Blood Falcon is an alternate palette.

I have a strong feeling that AT LEAST Elma will shatter expectations and become DLC though. Her VO, Caitlin Glass, is doing a new voice acting project that requires an NDA. And we all know how it went with Adam Howden before Shulk was revealed in the 4 days...
I think it's unfair that Xenoblade has 1 rep while Fire Emblem has freaking 7. Black Shadow was a missed opportunity for what could have been a great Echo Fighter.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think it's unfair that Xenoblade has 1 rep while Fire Emblem has freaking 7. Black Shadow was a missed opportunity for what could have been a great Echo Fighter.
If I remember Echoes have to be the same or very close proportions to their original counterpart. Black Shadow is both taller and bulkier than Falcon so he couldn’t be an echo. After all, Isabelle wasn’t an Echo of Villager. Black Shadow could at least be a semi clone.

On that note, if my dream comes true, Mecha-Fiora could be either an echo or semi-clone of Elma. Probably the latter since I remember Sakurai saying echoes wouldn’t be DLC — at least maybe not PAID DLC.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If I remember Echoes have to be the same or very close proportions to their original counterpart. Black Shadow is both taller and bulkier than Falcon so he couldn’t be an echo. After all, Isabelle wasn’t an Echo of Villager. Black Shadow could at least be a semi clone.

On that note, if my dream comes true, Mecha-Fiora could be either an echo or semi-clone of Elma. Probably the latter since I remember Sakurai saying echoes wouldn’t be DLC — at least maybe not PAID DLC.
Ganondorf is taller than Captain Falcon and he's a semi-clone of him. Plus, Black Shadow would be downscaled just like every other villain in the roster.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Bomberman for sure. I can tell he was a popular vote atleast for making it in as an assist trophy, but the sadness of not seeing him playable is real. A gaming legend.

Shadow should have been an easy clone for sonic or atleast a pallete swap. Actually I wish they had more unique costumes maybe as DLC in the future instead of a simple change in color sometimes. Like how mario has unique costumes.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don't think assists are hard deconfirms anymore now that Chrom exists.
Well ah...maybe not Final Smash or Non-Boss Stage Cameos at least. It’s part of why I have renewed hope for Fiora, and wouldn’t mind Bass or Kumatora either. Viridi, Pauline and Captain Toad are also viable I’d think.

I still think ATs’ geese are cooked, cause they already have a moveset controlled by the AI that adapts to situations while the former two do the exact same thing every time they appear. That’s just me, though.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Do hope your right I'm a supporter of her.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Don't take it the wrong way, but I'd rather have Rex and/or Pyra than Elma. I didn't care for X.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
I'm in the same camp that would rather have Rex for a second Xenoblade rep than Elma. As much as I enjoyed X, I just don't think it had much of an impact than 2 did.

Now for the actual question, just by going off assists, the only character I think should've made it would be Krystal, only because her staff could've brought so much to the table, especially considering she's the only one who uses a weapon like that (as far as I know) and the other characters from the StarFox universe are all clones of each other.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm in the same camp that would rather have Rex for a second Xenoblade rep than Elma. As much as I enjoyed X, I just don't think it had much of an impact than 2 did.

Now for the actual question, just by going off assists, the only character I think should've made it would be Krystal, only because her staff could've brought so much to the table, especially considering she's the only one who uses a weapon like that (as far as I know) and the other characters from the StarFox universe are all clones of each other.
...Wolf.

But I can get wanting more variety, however, they seem fairly intent on sweeping Adventures, Assault, and Command more or less under the rug outside of a few nodes. The fact she's even an assist (and using the Adventures' design nonetheless) may have been a stretch.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Skull Kid and Isaac got shafted pretty hard. I would say Geno as well, but he was never a guarantee.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
A lot of stuff goes on behind the scenes when it comes to the Smash roster, and I'm sure they must have had a good reason to make Bomberman an Assist Trophy. He's a gaming icon and deserves to be playable for sure, and they must have known that, so I'm thinking it must have had something to do with Konami or not wanting to overrepresent one company.

That being said I have absolutely no idea why they didn't just make Shadow an echo. Bizarre.

And yes, Isaac fans got screwed over. I don't really understand--they clearly knew he was in demand thanks to the ballot, and yet they still withheld his role in the game until the very last minute. That seems unnecessarily cruel to me.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
...Wolf.

But I can get wanting more variety, however, they seem fairly intent on sweeping Adventures, Assault, and Command more or less under the rug outside of a few nodes. The fact she's even an assist (and using the Adventures' design nonetheless) may have been a stretch.
While a lot of his moveset has properties and animations different from Fox and Falco's, Wolf is still relatively similar. At worst, he's a semi-clone. At best... Still not entirely original, IMO.

Arthur97

Smash Master
While a lot of his moveset has properties and animations different from Fox and Falco's, Wolf is still relatively similar. At worst, he's a semi-clone. At best... Still not entirely original, IMO.
Derivative, but hardly a clone. Just because the specials have the same names (mostly), and look similar, he got labeled a clone. Even those function differently and he has, what, one aerial that's like Fox's now? Bair is a bit sketchy as there's only so much you can do for those. Even Ridley has a very similar one.

Last edited:

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
Derivative, but hardly a clone. Just because the specials have the same names (mostly), and look similar, he got labeled a clone. Even those function differently and he has, what, one aerial that's like Fox's now? Bair is a bit sketchy as there's only so much you can do for those. Even Ridley has a very similar one.
He may be hardly a clone to some, but at the very least, he's still a bit of clone. Again, I admit that a lot of his moves are different, but they're still based off other characters.

Arthur97

Smash Master
He may be hardly a clone to some, but at the very least, he's still a bit of clone. Again, I admit that a lot of his moves are different, but they're still based off other characters.
If they're based off of others, then it's usually no one same fighter they're based off of. Most of his moves are radically different from Fox's. So, if he's not even a Fox clone, he's hardly a clone of any other fighter except maybe Falco. I'm not sure you grasp just how different most of them are. Most of them aren't even based off of Fox.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
If they're based off of others, then it's usually no one same fighter they're based off of. Most of his moves are radically different from Fox's. So, if he's not even a Fox clone, he's hardly a clone of any other fighter except maybe Falco. I'm not sure you grasp just how different most of them are. Most of them aren't even based off of Fox.
I understand he's different and I understand why people say he's not a clone. Honestly, he's the least "clone" of any clone like characters, but to me, he's still somewhat based off of someone else because they're are some similarities, if ever so slightly.

Let's just put a pin on it because I really don't wanna come back here.

D

Deleted member

I was disappointed when Bomberman and Shovel Knight were revealed as Assist Trophies, so I would've preferred it if they were playable.

I’m biased obviously, but Skull Kid. Zelda is in such dire need of another rep and I really think Skull Kid is the one, apart from maybe an echo Impa.
Looks like someone forgot about Tingle, the best Zelda character.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
People considered Shadow a lock? No wonder some of you are disappointed.

No character is truly a lock. This false expectation was imposed by yourselves; not by Sakurai or Nintendo. It's fine if you are disappointed of his absence, but you only have yourselves to blame for it.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

No character is truly a lock. This false expectation was imposed by yourselves; not by Sakurai or Nintendo. It's fine if you are disappointed of his absence, but you only have yourselves to blame for it.
Tell that to :ultincineroar::ultisabelle::ultken:

As far as I know those three were guaranteed locks due to supporting evidence.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I have what I want. Quite frankly, I'd prefer the protagonist-antagonist concept. Drop characters who canonically lack combat skills. Drop third-party characters. Drop extraneous characters from a single series. Focus on developing more balanced characters.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace

What about Inkling? I mean, we essentially all knew they were guaranteed to be in this game, I’d call them a lock at the very least

Top Bottom