• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters who should had made the cut?

osby

Smash Obsessed
What about Inkling? I mean, we essentially all knew they were guaranteed to be in this game, I’d call them a lock at the very least
Funny enough, a lot of people thought they were a lock for Smash 4 DLC.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A lot of stuff goes on behind the scenes when it comes to the Smash roster, and I'm sure they must have had a good reason to make Bomberman an Assist Trophy. He's a gaming icon and deserves to be playable for sure, and they must have known that, so I'm thinking it must have had something to do with Konami or not wanting to overrepresent one company.

That being said I have absolutely no idea why they didn't just make Shadow an echo. Bizarre.

And yes, Isaac fans got screwed over. I don't really understand--they clearly knew he was in demand thanks to the ballot, and yet they still withheld his role in the game until the very last minute. That seems unnecessarily cruel to me.
Isaac might have not done as well as a lot of people think, or at least enough to get a slot in the roster. After all, Sakurai said that the Belmonts or Castlevania scored high in the Smash Ballot and we didn't feel the presence of their demand at all on online anywhere. That shows that we and not even Source Gaming don't know anything at all about the true results of the Smash Ballot and who was at the top of the list behind Bayonetta, K. Rool, and the Belmonts.

I have what I want. Quite frankly, I'd prefer the protagonist-antagonist concept. Drop characters who canonically lack combat skills. Drop third-party characters. Drop extraneous characters from a single series. Focus on developing more balanced characters.
While I love me some villains, there isn't that many more left that can live up to the hype, level, and legacy of :ultbowser:, :ultganondorf:, :ultridley:, and :ultkrool:. The only three Nintendo villains I can think of that's left that would make people really jump out of their seats is Pig Ganon, Skull Kid, and Porky. Medusa or Hades would be nice as well, but anybody else would either be not that interesting or one off when it comes to wants left on Nintendo's rouge's gallery. With 3rd party villains though, there is a bunch that lives up to or even has a bigger legacy than :ultganondorf:, :ultridley:, and :ultkrool:. Villains such as Dr. Eggman, Sephiroth, Dr. Wily, and M. Bison would truly live up to Nintendo's big 4's standards.

Also, I'm on board for ditching 3rd party characters in the next game if it means we can get nothing but Nintendo characters. But I think every series should have their main and important characters in the roster by a number of 4 to 5. Roles of said series should all be in the roster: protagonist, co-protagonists, and antagonist. I don't agree with the idea of the roster just only having protagonist and antagonist because it would look really empty in my eyes. I agree though with trying to balance everybody in the roster together to a T.

What about Inkling? I mean, we essentially all knew they were guaranteed to be in this game, I’d call them a lock at the very least
Exactly! The Inklings would have been in this game in any universe or outcome with or without the Smash Ballot.

rhythmreview

Smash Rookie
I think its clear that Nintendo and the Smash team have no interest in adding characters that aren't Japanese. There are several American gaming icons (Banjo, Crash, Scorpion, Sub Zero) that would be great additions to Smash but whether it be licensing disputes or lack of interest from Nintendo of Japan to include them.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think its clear that Nintendo and the Smash team have no interest in adding characters that aren't Japanese. There are several American gaming icons (Banjo, Crash, Scorpion, Sub Zero) that would be great additions to Smash but whether it be licensing disputes or lack of interest from Nintendo of Japan to include them.
:ultdiddy::ultdarksamus::ultkrool: aren't Japanese.

rhythmreview

Smash Rookie
:ultdiddy::ultdarksamus::ultkrool: aren't Japanese.
Their IPs are owned by Nintendo. I forgot to mention third party characters in my OP. They may have been outsourced but they were approved by Nintendo to be released in their properties. I wouldn't associate these characters as American.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Their IPs are owned by Nintendo. I forgot to mention third party characters in my OP. They may have been outsourced but they were approved by Nintendo to be released in their properties. I wouldn't associate these characters as American.
:ultdiddy:, :ultkrool:, and Banjo are not American, they're British. But as you said, :ultdiddy:, :ultkrool:, and :ultdarksamus: are owned by Nintendo so they're are technically Japanese now.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'll correct myself: Most of what we perceive as wanted characters aren't always a lock. It is true that Inkling was guaranteed in this game thanks to the success of Splatoon but other choices that we may consider very likely or guaranteed aren't always the case like with Isaac, Shadow or Geno.
We let ourselves go sometimes into thinking that X character is going to have a spot in Smash (happened to me with Wolf in Smash 4), but the circumstances aren't what we always think of it.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Remember when Skull Kid was a lock for Ultimate simply because people wanted him and we didn't see his Assist Trophy on 8/8?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Remember when Skull Kid was a lock for Ultimate simply because people wanted him and we didn't see his Assist Trophy on 8/8?
Loz18's rumor spreading didn't help matters either...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Loz18's rumor spreading didn't help matters either...
Nor did the chairs and pillows.

I think it was actually the plant hinting towards :ultpiranha: Sakurai is truly the master of trolling ain't he? The chairs and pillows was there just to throw us off.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
While I love me some villains, there isn't that many more left that can live up to the hype, level, and legacy of :ultbowser:, :ultganondorf:, :ultridley:, and :ultkrool:. The only three Nintendo villains I can think of that's left that would make people really jump out of their seats is Pig Ganon, Skull Kid, and Porky. Medusa or Hades would be nice as well, but anybody else would either be not that interesting or one off when it comes to wants left on Nintendo's rouge's gallery. With 3rd party villains though, there is a bunch that lives up to or even has a bigger legacy than :ultganondorf:, :ultridley:, and :ultkrool:. Villains such as Dr. Eggman, Sephiroth, Dr. Wily, and M. Bison would truly live up to Nintendo's big 4's standards.

Also, I'm on board for ditching 3rd party characters in the next game if it means we can get nothing but Nintendo characters. But I think every series should have their main and important characters in the roster by a number of 4 to 5. Roles of said series should all be in the roster: protagonist, co-protagonists, and antagonist. I don't agree with the idea of the roster just only having protagonist and antagonist because it would look really empty in my eyes. I agree though with trying to balance everybody in the roster together to a T.
Yeah, but Pig Ganon is just Ganon anyway. Skull Kid only had one game. Porky would be an interesting choice. Medusa and Hades would be great. Medusa could easily be a Palutena echo fighter. If Monolith Soft and Namco continue with developing SSB, they could add an antagonist of their own. I'm in favor of reducing the roster, though. Unless you're a casual gamer, plenty of characters on the roster will go unnoticed in the competitive scene. Not every antagonist has to be the final boss, either. Octoling can be an echo fighter of Inkling, for example.

Oddball

Smash Lord
There's a lot of character I would have really liked to see in the game and a lot of characters that i thought were likely but the only character that I just KNEW was going to make it into SMASH and didn't was Spring man. ... or at least Ribbon Girl. One of the two.

Also, for the record, I really didn't expect Shadow or Geno. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the Smash community that doesn't think they';re that big a deal. Tails deserves to be in Smash a lot more than Shadow does anyway.

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216
I don't think assists are hard deconfirms anymore now that Chrom exists.
I find this statement troubling. If you’re an asssit trophy in the the current game you’re not going to become a playable character in that game, sure there is always the next game but not the current one, although could you imagine if one of the DLC is a current assist trophy and they just take out the assist trophy

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I find this statement troubling. If you’re an asssit trophy in the the current game you’re not going to become a playable character in that game, sure there is always the next game but not the current one, although could you imagine if one of the DLC is a current assist trophy and they just take out the assist trophy
People said similar stuff about Chrom. Most assumed he'd be removed from Pair Up at the least, but he was not. Now, I don't agree with that decision, but it seems to say to me that being an assist or something doesn't hard deconfirm. Think about it, is there any proof that they can't be both?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
People said similar stuff about Chrom. Most assumed he'd be removed from Pair Up at the least, but he was not. Now, I don't agree with that decision, but it seems to say to me that being an assist or something doesn't hard deconfirm. Think about it, is there any proof that they can't be both?
Depends on whether you count Sakurai saying "This guy is an assist trophy which means he isn't a playable fighter" in a miiverse post 5 years ago as proof.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
A gen 7 Pokemon people liked before Verg said "it's not them".

Here comes the cat cult.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I think it was actually the plant hinting towards :ultpiranha: Sakurai is truly the master of trolling ain't he? The chairs and pillows was there just to throw us off.
LMAO!!!

Yeah, but Pig Ganon is just Ganon anyway.
The beast Ganon from OOT, TP, and BOTW is very different from the mage Ganon that's in LOZ, AOL, ALTTP, OOG, OOS, FSA, and ALBW. I want the classic Ganon with the trident, that can teleport and uses magic at his disposal. So that way, we can have a a different version of Ganon in the roster that would actually have a original moveset unlike Ganondorf who is a semi-clone of Captain Falcon.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

The chairs and pillows were really more of a hint about Galeem and Dharkon...

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216
I also don’t agree with the fact that chrom is still in robins fianl smash
Chrom: “Ok robin , on my mark who we beating up”?
Robin: “Yourself”
Chrom “.......”
But the fact is if you’re an assist trophy you’re literally meant to not be playable, it’s sakurais way of saying, hey they aren’t playable but they can still be in the battle.
And I don’t get it, chrom wasnt an assist trophy in sm4sh, he was a final smash, so trying to compare the two is not accurate

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Paper Mario should've made the cut! Get it? Cos he's made out of paper

... and he'd be a great character in his own right with the potential to be really fun and unique

Oh and *insert obligatory shilling for Skull Kid here*

Unfortunately, neither of them look remotely likely for DLC

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely Skull Kid. He's the antagonist of one of the most well-loved Zelda games ever and is in fact arguably the entire crux of the plot. He has a tragic backstory. He has an awesome design. He has a huge potential for a moveset, take a look at Hyrule Warriors! Heck, if he had been in Hyrule Warriors earlier, I'm pretty confident he would have made it in. HW shows plenty of potential for him, and he wouldn't even need to borrow from that to have a viable moveset. Not to mention the Mii Costume they have this time for him is so spot-on, he's practically playable in a "post-Majora's-Mask" way. The 3D fighter model is already there, and that seems to be the hardest part of making a fighter (at least that's what I assume given how Sakurai said trophies were really hard to make). They're halfway there already with him being playable as it stands (in fact I main Skull Kid Mii and refer to him as Skull Kid), all they'd need to do is add a proper moveset and his voice.

I also think Shadow should have gotten in, I was confident he would because he could be one the the easiest echoes ever. That could be largely Sega's fault since he's 3rd party, but still.

Looks like someone forgot about Tingle, the best Zelda character.
I'm not sure if you're joking, but assuming you're serious, I actually have to highly disagree there. And not just because Tingle is kind of creepy and is really hated in America (though that's part of the reason).

Tingle had a bit of a role in Majora's Mask, and was used in Wind Waker to get maps. He was essentially a seller in both games. Skull Kid, however? He's absolutely essential to the plot of Majora's Mask. He stole the Mask from the Salesman. He cast Link into Termina, turned Link into a Deku Scrub, and was possessed by Majora to cause the moon to fall over a descent of 3 days. Link's fairy companion for that game is Tael, who was one of Skull Kid's fairy companions before they split up. Her primary goal is to get back to her brother and stop Skull Kid. Though Skull Kid isn't given a whole lot of on-screen focus, the entire plot literally hinges on him about as much as Link. They're like parallels, stuck in a sense of childhood, though Link has grown up mentally in a sense after Ocarina of Time, while Skull Kid has not. Skull Kid is just a lonely child who let Majora's immense power overtake him. You can have Majora's Mask without Tingle. You can't have it without Skull Kid.

Not to mention, Skull Kid is incredibly beloved. We wouldn't have gems like this if he wasn't:

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I also don’t agree with the fact that chrom is still in robins fianl smash
Chrom: “Ok robin , on my mark who we beating up”?
Robin: “Yourself”
Chrom “.......”
But the fact is if you’re an assist trophy you’re literally meant to not be playable, it’s sakurais way of saying, hey they aren’t playable but they can still be in the battle.
And I don’t get it, chrom wasnt an assist trophy in sm4sh, he was a final smash, so trying to compare the two is not accurate
This means little. People thought having trophies deconfirmed Lucas and Mewtwo for 4. Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't. Doesn't help Sakurai seems to love questionable decisions like that.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
The beast Ganon from OOT, TP, and BOTW is very different from the mage Ganon that's in LOZ, AOL, ALTTP, OOG, OOS, FSA, and ALBW. I want the classic Ganon with the trident, that can teleport and uses magic at his disposal. So that way, we can have a a different version of Ganon in the roster that would actually have a original moveset unlike Ganondorf who is a semi-clone of Captain Falcon.
Well, my issue right now is three Link characters. Why do we need copies? I understand they're different Link incarnations, but they all often share very similar equipment, making additional versions irrelevant. You don't like the new BotW Link? Play as Young Link. While I'm a fan of Dark Samus, I'd rather she had some changes of her own to make her more different than Samus. She has her own set of abilities that can be taken from the Metroid Prime trilogy. Something tells me Zero Suit Samus is here to stay, but I'd rather have another character in her place like Space Pirate, who could be a character with a conglomerate moveset. Beast Ganon is still the same demon king in a different form. I'd be up for visual changes and moveset overhauls to match the current version like Link from BotW.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, my issue right now is three Link characters. Why do we need copies? I understand they're different Link incarnations, but they all often share very similar equipment, making additional versions irrelevant. You don't like the new BotW Link? Play as Young Link. While I'm a fan of Dark Samus, I'd rather she had some changes of her own to make her more different than Samus. She has her own set of abilities that can be taken from the Metroid Prime trilogy. Something tells me Zero Suit Samus is here to stay, but I'd rather have another character in her place like Space Pirate, who could be a character with a conglomerate moveset. Beast Ganon is still the same demon king in a different form. I'd be up for visual changes and moveset overhauls to match the current version like Link from BotW.
Link has a original moveset while Ganondorf does not. So there would be more of a reason for wanting Ganon because of that. Also, in All Star Mode in the previous games, Ganondorf was listed in the late 90's section of the cast which means Smash doesn't count Ganondorf as Ganon from the original Legend of Zelda from 1986. He has appeared in more games than Ganondorf, so he deserves to get in as much or more than him.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Link has a original moveset while Ganondorf does not. So there would be more of a reason for wanting Ganon because of that. Also, in All Star Mode in the previous games, Ganondorf was listed in the late 90's section of the cast which means Smash doesn't count Ganondorf as Ganon from the original Legend of Zelda from 1986. He has appeared in more games than Ganondorf, so he deserves to get in as much or more than him.
My point is they're the self-same person in different forms. This is supported in Zelda canon. Even the more recent BotW makes note of this detail that in the past, Calamity Ganon took on the form of a human, but not this time around.

"The Demon King has been defeated countless times by heroes in the past. He is thought to have been resurrected after many years. Leading a demon army, he invades Lesser Hyrule, seeking the Triforce." (Hyrule Historia, p. 106)

"No longer bearing any trace of the man known as the Great Thief, Ganondorf, he opposes Link in the form of a demonic beast, bereft of intelligence." (ibid., p. 106)

"Extraordinary. You stand as a paragon of your kind, human. You fight like no human or demon I have ever known. Though this is not the end. My hate . . . never perishes. It is born anew in a cycle with no end! I will rise again! Those like you . . . Those who share the blood of the goddess and the spirit of the hero . . . They are eternally bound to this curse. An incarnation of my hatred shall ever follow your kind, dooming them to wander a blood-soaked sea of darkness for all time!" (Demise, Skyward Sword)

"However, the destruction of Demise was not the end of the battle. It was the beginning of a curse: a never ending cycle of the reincarnation of the Demon King, whose hatred for those with the blood of the Goddess and the Spirit of the Hero is everlasting" (Hyrule Historia, p. 76)

"Ganon . . . This beast was once of the Gerudo . . . Once human. He was called Ganondorf! King of Darkness, ancient demon reborn. The wielder of the trident!!" (Princess Zelda, Four Swords Adventures)

"Once known as the King of Thieves, Ganondorf Dragmire used the power of the Triforce to become the beast, Ganon." (Nintendo Online Guide - The Legend of Zelda)

"Though 'Ganon' is also a nickname for Ganondorf, here it refers to the beastlike form adopted by the thief following his transformation. The Demon King resembles a giant boar." (Hyrule Historia, p. 90)

"A design sketch depicting Ganondorf’s phantom. Ganondorf never appears in the Oracle series, however. Only his beast form, Ganon, is seen." (ibid., p 169)

"Ganon: No trace remains of the human known as Ganondorf." (ibid., p.121)

"The history of the royal family of Hyrule is also the history of Calamity Ganon, a primal evil that has endured over the ages." (Impa, BotW)

"Ganon was born out of a dark past. He is a pure embodiment of the ancient evil that is reborn time and time again . . . He has given up on reincarnation and assumed his pure enraged form." (Zelda, BotW)

Ganondorf is Ganon, and Ganon is Ganondorf. There are different forms he takes, and this is even seen in both OoT and TP where he has a human form and beast form. Thus, if the developers decided to introduce the beast form that resembles a boar, they could. All I'm saying is they could just change his appearance, his name, and his moveset.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
Crono, M Bison and Tatsu should have been in Ultimate.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
Tatsu as in Xenoblade Chronicles X Tatsu?
Yes the Potato. I am not even joking. I was gutted when you could not have him as a party member in XBCX. Nopons are the best :3

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Shadow's assist reveal being held off last direct really stung. I really don't know why they did it like this for him and Issac.

With Knuckles constantly being shown off as the new Sonic assist, with Shadow nowhere in sight, and Shadow being a perfect fit for an echo fighter. It's hard not to find that last second reveal pretty disappointing.

They really should have gotten veteran ATs reveals out of the way faster then they did.

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
The term "Character who Should Have Made the Cut" (CWSHMTC, I'll be using that abbreviation) is a very loose term. Everyone has different opinions on who they think should be in the game. For example, I wish Plusle and Minum made it in, but I know that's a fairly unpopular opinion, and they're probably far from being a CWSHMTC. I wouldn't be depressed if they never made it in to any Smash game.

I really don't like it when they say their character is a CWSHMTC because it looks ungrateful. People who say someone is a CWSHMTC is likely someone who built up too much hype over the potential for their character to make it and got salty because they didn't get in. It doesn't help that leak culture only adds to this frustration. Look what happened with the Grinch leak. A lot of people thought Geno, Shadow, and the Chorus Kids were CWSHMTCs.

Honestly, I don't like the way people say that their character is deserving of being in the game. It's too subjective of a term, yet a lot of people thinks its objective that their favorite character is deserving of a spot.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The term "Character who Should Have Made the Cut" (CWSHMTC, I'll be using that abbreviation) is a very loose term. Everyone has different opinions on who they think should be in the game. For example, I wish Plusle and Minum made it in, but I know that's a fairly unpopular opinion, and they're probably far from being a CWSHMTC. I wouldn't be depressed if they never made it in to any Smash game.

I really don't like it when they say their character is a CWSHMTC because it looks ungrateful. People who say someone is a CWSHMTC is likely someone who built up too much hype over the potential for their character to make it and got salty because they didn't get in. It doesn't help that leak culture only adds to this frustration. Look what happened with the Grinch leak. A lot of people thought Geno, Shadow, and the Chorus Kids were CWSHMTCs.

Honestly, I don't like the way people say that their character is deserving of being in the game. It's too subjective of a term, yet a lot of people thinks its objective that their favorite character is deserving of a spot.
... you're taking this far too seriously.

Everyone knows this is a subjective topic, which is why people can have fun discussing it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Personally I feel like we have every essential character in the game, the last characters which should have made the cut at the end of Smash 4 DLC were Inkling, Ridley and K. Rool imo, and they're here now. The closest I can think of would be Dixie Kong, I don't really care much about her myself, but I was already very surprised that she wasn't in Smash 4, that she isn't in Ultimate either is just kind of baffling.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Personally I feel like we have every essential character in the game, the last characters which should have made the cut at the end of Smash 4 DLC were Inkling, Ridley and K. Rool imo, and they're here now. The closest I can think of would be Dixie Kong, I don't really care much about her myself, but I was already very surprised that she wasn't in Smash 4, that she isn't in Ultimate either is just kind of baffling.
What about Toad? He's considered one of the so called last Nintendo All-Stars IIRC.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
The thing is, for pretty much every single character, I can at least think of a logical reason for why they aren't included, even if I don't necessarily agree with that reason.

Isaac should be in Smash, buuuut he's from a long-dead relatively obscure series and might not generate tons of internet buzz. I don't like that mindset but I can understand why Nintendo might have it.

Waluigi should be in Smash, buuuut his whole shtick is that he's a loser who never gets his way, so becoming playable might run counter to his character somewhat. I still would like Waluigi but that reasoning does make sense to me.

Toad should be in Smash, buuuut he's kind of the original NPC and doesn't have a lot of moveset potential separate from Mario, plus I'd rather we got Captain Toad further down the road anyway.

Geno I'd like in Smash, buuuut he's a supporting character from an old RPG owned by another company who has pretty much nothing going for him other than sheer popularity and moveset potential.

Skull Kid I'd like in Smash, buuuut he's a one-shot villain from one of the less popular 3D Zeldas and the series always has a Majora's Mask rep with Young Link.

Bandana Dee should be in Smash, buuuut he's a Kirby character not created by Sakurai so he's pretty much blocked off forever. Lame.

I can do this with pretty much everyone except Dixie Kong. She's a relevant character from a relevant series, has a personality that would fit well in the game, is historically a playable protagonist, has tons of moveset potential, and is decently popular (not as much as the big boys, but respectable). In addition to all of that, she was partially developed in Brawl, so the team even has a small head start on her. Unlike with those other folks, all of whom I'd love to see make the cut, I can't think of a single reason Dixie shouldn't be playable other than internal or personal politics among the developers.

So yeah, that's just my viewpoint, I guess.

Billy Maize

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
0610-7203-0641
I think it's unfair that Xenoblade has 1 rep while Fire Emblem has freaking 7. Black Shadow was a missed opportunity for what could have been a great Echo Fighter.
Hell yes, I've been thinking the same thing, fire emblem gets a ridiculous amount of fighters while there are tons of other series that deserve more representation. I'm definitely biased because I love it, but the only fighter from f-zero has been captain falcon for every single game, despite the wealth of characters to choose from. I and many other fans would have greatly appreciated the inclusion of someone like black shadow, samurai goroh, the skull, or anyone else, especially since there hasn't been a new f-zero game for almost 15 years now.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Skull Kid I'd like in Smash, buuuut he's a one-shot villain from one of the less popular 3D Zeldas and the series always has a Majora's Mask rep with Young Link..
I actually have an objection to that. (Not the you wanting Skull Kid in part, lol). Apologies for the length of the post, it's just basically a rebuttal to reasons other people object to Skull Kid being in Smash.

Regarding Skull Kid, people who dismiss his role as a "one-shot villain" aren't really accurate. For one thing, he was in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess as well. In very minor roles, granted, but he's still hardly a one-shot (also he was in later editions of Hyrule Warriors). Not to mention the events of Majora's Mask are literally dependent on Skull Kid's presence and actions. He's basically a parallel to Link, and runs the story almost as much as Link does. Heck, the fairy companion Link has that game has getting back to her brother and Skull Kid as her motivation. You take out Skull Kid, Majora's Mask as a story never happens.

And I'd hardly call Majora's Mask one of the less popular. These days I'd say it's one of the most popular. It has an incredible short film in the form of Terrible Fate, Theopany (whose music was included in said short) has done 2 Majora's Mask albums called Times End 1 and 2 with a 3rd on the way, and an album called Children of Termina was just released this past year that as the name implies, is entirely focused on Majora's Mask. Also there's an opera being created that currently has some demos and they're amazing. An unpopular game would not be putting out such passionate efforts of high-quality content all these years later. Seeing as you're a fellow Skull Kid fan, I highly recommend you'd check them out if you haven't, they're great! (Fair warning though: Deku Palace in the Majora Opera will get stuck in your head)

If you're talking about how initially it didn't sell well (which I can understand, I've heard that as an argument), and how it isn't as popular as, say, Ocarina of Time or Breath of the Wild: it didn't reach as wide an audience, and there's a reason for that—for some crazy reason, it required an adapter to play, which was needed for only one other game, which was a Donkey Kong Country game and nothing else. Pretty sure that stopped quite a lot of people from playing it, including myself as a kid (I wanted to but I played it over at my cousin's house instead).

Also, Young Link is much more an Ocarina of Time rep, not a Majora's Mask one at all. He doesn't have the transformation masks, he doesn't have a Fierce Deity Final Smash, he does't even have a Fierce Deity alternate costume. There's nothing about Young Link that's specifically Majora's Mask, unfortunately.

Plus, with the Mii Costume looking just like Skull Kid the Smash team is already halfway there with having him in (the difficulty of 3D models is the reason trophies were replaced with Spirits in the first place, after all). :) Does that and all the above points make it certain he'll get in the next Smash? Nah, but it does at least build a good case for it.

Also you have a lot more characters you'd like in Smash than I do, lol. XD

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I was just naming some of the community's most wanteds. I would like to see all of those characters though.

I guess it all just comes down to Zelda's main issue, which is that it seemingly isn't allowed to have characters who aren't Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. It's not an official rule or anything, but it's very strange that the series has gone since Melee without any truly new fighters. This is The Legend of Zelda we're talking about, after all. The only conclusion I can draw is that the Smash team thinks Zelda is just fine with its Triforce carriers and their various alternate selves, which is not a position I agree with at all, but at least one that I can...begrudgingly understand.

Top Bottom