• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters on Sakurai's Poll

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
well Geno has that "mysterious" aura as well.

it is true that Geno's only in one game and that one game can't be the whole Metroid series, but significance is significance. may not be as big as Ridley's in general but it's still there.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
well Geno has that "mysterious" aura as well.

it is true that Geno's only in one game and that one game can't be the whole Metroid series, but significance is significance. may not be as big as Ridley's in general but it's still there.
Hon, it's still only one game... :( At least Sheik was part of Zelda, and at least the Ice Climbers were the protagonists of their's.
It's just me wondering if that significance in that one game is enough. For me it all boils down on how important popularity is, and how much Sakurai actually trusts the poll.

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
honestly, if Geno isn't in, I can't think of another well known fighter from the Mario series except maybe Bowser Jr. Assuming Doc is out, and all the Pokemon except Pichu return + 1 more Pokemon rep; unless Gen and/or Bowser Jr get in, Pokemon will have more reps than Mario, and that can't happen.

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
the thing is, if Doc is out, unless Geno (or BJ or someone else, but only Geno and BJ actually have signifigance) is in, there are still less number of mario reps than Pokemon reps (assuming one more newcomer) which would be awkward.

Pengie

Smash Lord
The way I see it if you don't own a SNES you probably don't know who Geno is so many kids that are about 16 and under won't be able to recognize who he is. Ridley on the other hand has been a major boss in about 4 or 5 games ranging form the SNES to the Gamecube to the Wii and thus more recognizable to much more people.

And on the subject of Pokemon having more characters than Mario it probably won't have more. They might be equal because they are Ninty's top two franchises but it won't have more.

Pengie

Smash Lord
OK the way I should have phrased it as should be "most kids who are 16 and under won't know who he is." By the way I am not against Geno, I actually think he is a pretty cool character.

Geist

Smash Master
A lot of people didn't know who Game and Watch was, or Ice Climbers. And most Americans didn't know who Roy or Marth were.
great point. that has a lot to do with the fact nintendo listens to the japanese kids before anyone in North America. -.-

ridley is so going to be in brawl. =3

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
To be honest I have never heared of this character untill I came to this board, I dont know what he did, why he is so significant to everyone and how in the hell a character making an appearance in only one game (to my understanding) and not even being the main character of that game got such a huge fan base, its worse than the flying clown form Nights.

I dont really like being ignorant so Im gonna wiki him jus now but still why does everyone love geno?

and why is no one pissed that Ray 01 isnt in the game (for all we know)

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
Geno isn't really important. Super Mario RPG was an important game, and Geno just happened to be in it. He isn't really important to the Mario storyline at all anymore, which is my definition of importance.
Nothing against Geno, as I'm not opposed to his inclusion but if it weren't for his immense popularity I don't think he'd get in.
Ridley however, is recurring, is important, a young teen who has never played Metroid before could recognize him and therefore caters to a vast audience, and not only the people who were born in the 80s.
(Take a stats course and you'll realize that internet polls are hardly reliable)
So yeah, while Geno probably scored higher with the older gamers that go and check out Nintendo websites if you were to take it out with the teens they'd just go "Who is Geno?" Hence why I don't think the poll is too reliable, and Sakurai would probably realize it himself as well.
Geno was actually a very important character in SMRPG. If not for him, Mario's story would've probably gone as far as him simply saving Peach from Booster's Tower. Since it was Geno, after all, the one who knew what was really going on with the Star Pieces and who the real enemy was. If anything he was a more important character than Mario was. I won't go as far as to say Geno was the "cause" of SMRPG, but I would certainly say he was an important character of the game.

Now I never followed the Metroid serioes. The only games I played were Metroid for the original NES and Super Metroid for SNES, but I agree that Ridley is a good character that should be added, but more important than Geno? Perhaps, I guess as it was said before, it all comes down to preference. I honestly think both have a great chance of being in it.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno Geno
But what about Geno?

On the topic of Geno, I think that his fanbase is largely overexaggerated. Yeah, he's a talking puppet that was featured in like, what, 2 games? I had never heard of him before I started looking here. This leads me to beleive that he's not overwhelmingly important. Not to say that I don't think he's in, I think he will get in, I just don't see why.

TBone06

Smash Ace
But what about Geno?

On the topic of Geno, I think that his fanbase is largely overexaggerated. Yeah, he's a talking puppet that was featured in like, what, 2 games? I had never heard of him before I started looking here. This leads me to beleive that he's not overwhelmingly important. Not to say that I don't think he's in, I think he will get in, I just don't see why.
I disagree, his fanbase is true, you check that whole Geno thread, every member supports him, not because of popularity, but because they loved him in SMRPG and they see the potential that he has to be in Brawl. He may be an underdog but I truly believe he'll make an entrance in this game as a PC.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Geno was actually a very important character in SMRPG. If not for him, Mario's story would've probably gone as far as him simply saving Peach from Booster's Tower.
Merlon was an important character in Super Paper Mario,Ciela was an important character in Phantom Hourglass. Do we expect this characters in Brawl? No. So my point is, even as an important one-time character, I don't see anything that sets him apart from the other one-time important characters aside from having a 999 damage attack.

Now I never followed the Metroid serioes. The only games I played were Metroid for the original NES and Super Metroid for SNES, but I agree that Ridley is a good character that should be added, but more important than Geno? Perhaps, I guess as it was said before, it all comes down to preference. I honestly think both have a great chance of being in it.
Yes, more important than Geno. Even in any Metroid game, Ridley still maintains the same importance Geno had in his one game, but differently, Ridley maintains his importance throughout the entire Metroid series. If Ridley hadn't been around, Samus would have lived a peaceful normal life in her colony and the series would have never begun. Not only that, but he still maintains as an important milestone for Samus everytime she defeats him which has been in almost every Metroid game. Plus there are no 3rd Party qualms because Ridley continues to belong to Nintendo.

Maybe you should actually do some research on Ridley before comparing him to Geno in an argument, hon.

I don't know the rules for getting into Brawl at all, but so far I have yet to see characters that have only appeared in one game without a. being only part of an already recurring and existing character (Sheik, maybe why she didn't get her own spot) or b. being the protagonists of their games (Ice Climbers). Geno is neither, therefore, I continue to be a skeptic of his inclusion which cannot be given to Ridley.

I disagree, his fanbase is true, you check that whole Geno thread, every member supports him...
Well, of course every member supports him, it's the Geno thread, honey!
I'll repeat this once more; if you have ever taken a Statistics course, you will know that internet polls, any type of internet polls, are not at all perfect samples. My statistics book even goes so far as to consider them completely useless! Nintendo believes that 48% of people who play their games are over 18, but what about the other 52%? 52% is still the majority! and most teens or preteens who do play Nintendo probably a. have only started since around age 9 b. Do not really go on the internet to speak about Nintendo, if they're even open to playing their games at all and c. Probably wouldn't recognize Geno at all. I predict if that Nintendo were to do a reliable sample survey, which would be phoning about 5000 of people who have played more than a certain number of nintendo games Geno's popularity would probably be up to 35% less!

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
Geno was playable, he has that going for him.

I really want Geno playable, just because he's an offbeat Mario character, and would surprise a lot of younger people when he shows up with the Mario icon :o

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Merlon's actually been in all three Paper Mario games, but he's not exactly a main character in any of them.
You get my point.

Geno was playable, he has that going for him.
So was Vivian. :ohwell:

I really want Geno playable, just because he's an offbeat Mario character, and would surprise a lot of younger people when he shows up with the Mario icon :o
That's a bit of a weak reason to want a character in Brawl though. ^_^;;;

Guys, I repeat, please don't confuse me for a hater. :( I'm not, I just have yet to see a truly convincing argument that gives Geno a high chance in Brawl without depending on the poll results.

Wreked

Smash Lord
Guys, I repeat, please don't confuse me for a hater. :( I'm not, I just have yet to see a truly convincing argument that gives Geno a high chance in Brawl without depending on the poll results.
It's probally just personal opinion on Geno. I don't like the guy but I don't hate him.

I admit he would be cool and obscure. And a kinda WTF character. But as Rey said I don't really why he should be in other than popularity. He was an important character for one game. I know i know I support Midna, who was important for one game. I doubt she will be in but there is a chance. Midna is a good example for why she should be in. It's just mostly popularity and fanbase. But it will be intersting to see what happens to the doll.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Whadya mean it lacked Olimar, he's got 3 votes, tied with the likes of Krystal and only beaten by a few fairly well known reps + Geno (sorry, he may be popular, but he's not exactly series important, just game important). Those above Olimar on the Poll each have 2+ games in a known series to their name. He's not doing badly there.

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
Merlon was an important character in Super Paper Mario,Ciela was an important character in Phantom Hourglass. Do we expect this characters in Brawl? No. So my point is, even as an important one-time character, I don't see anything that sets him apart from the other one-time important characters aside from having a 999 damage attack.

Yes, more important than Geno. Even in any Metroid game, Ridley still maintains the same importance Geno had in his one game, but differently, Ridley maintains his importance throughout the entire Metroid series. If Ridley hadn't been around, Samus would have lived a peaceful normal life in her colony and the series would have never begun. Not only that, but he still maintains as an important milestone for Samus everytime she defeats him which has been in almost every Metroid game. Plus there are no 3rd Party qualms because Ridley continues to belong to Nintendo.

Maybe you should actually do some research on Ridley before comparing him to Geno in an argument, hon.

I don't know the rules for getting into Brawl at all, but so far I have yet to see characters that have only appeared in one game without a. being only part of an already recurring and existing character (Sheik, maybe why she didn't get her own spot) or b. being the protagonists of their games (Ice Climbers). Geno is neither, therefore, I continue to be a skeptic of his inclusion which cannot be given to Ridley
What sets him apart is a more stronger fanbase. Plus his role in SMRPG was more significant. As shown in the polls Geno is a character who could be expected in Brawl. But popularity won't decide everything. Sakurai is the main person who decides who goes into Brawl, considering the history that happen in the past between Nintendo and Squaresoft, Geno has a bigger chance of being in it. Besides having a 999 damage attack, Geno was a much more unique character.

I'm aware of who Ridley is and I agree the majority points to him being a more well known character. But then again, there people, like me, who have not followed the Metroid series, which is why Geno still has a high level of popularity despite appearing in only 1 game. My argument is not who's more important to who, but rather why they are important to each of their fanbase, which seems to be what your argument is about. It's obvious this time around, Sakurai is looking more toward adding characters who have a large fanbase behind them.

Top Bottom