• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters on Sakurai's Poll

Reyairia

Smash Champion
What sets him apart is a more stronger fanbase. Plus his role in SMRPG was more significant.
I just said that the polls could easily mean nothing in terms of fanbase, and despite my research, he doesn't seem more particularly important than other one time characters that I have seen. :ohwell:

My argument is not who's more important to who, but rather why they are important to each of their fanbase, which seems to be what your argument is about.
I'm not saying fanbase, I'm saying importance in their games.

You don't have to be a big follower of the Metroid series to know who Ridley is and that he's more than just another boss. I admit that so far, I've only played Corruption (which shall be fixed) and only a quick wiki was enough to say enough.
I think people are gravely overestimating how much popularity plays a role, we already saw all the disappointment people had when Lyn and Samurai Goroh were deconfirmed.

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman
well, Geno did get a lot of attention from Sakurai, the same amount of love as almost half of the newcomers, and more attention than Lyn and Goroh.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
well, Geno did get a lot of attention from Sakurai, the same amount of love as almost half of the newcomers, and more attention than Lyn and Goroh.
He has to show he's paying attention to the polls. :ohwell: Otherwise that can get him into trouble.
-shrug- But you never know, Geno could be in and that's that. -shrug- It doesn't really matter to me.

XCWarrior

Smash Apprentice
Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, Zack and Wiki, SMR
He has to show he's paying attention to the polls. :ohwell: Otherwise that can get him into trouble.
-shrug- But you never know, Geno could be in and that's that. -shrug- It doesn't really matter to me.

How and why would he get into trouble? Are people not going to buy the game or something? HA! He'll do what he wants with the information. He clearly is listening to some people, or he is just picking it semi-random. We'll find out in the end. I'm sure most of these will at least be trophies, and the more popular ones asst trophies.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
How and why would he get into trouble? Are people not going to buy the game or something?
Well, he wouldn't get into specific trouble per say, but it wouldn't make him look good.
Truth to be told, I believe recurrence/importance gives characters a chance, and all popularity does is secure it.

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm a new member here ^_^.

I'd like to start off this post by first asking, what is the importance of a poll? The answer is, polls are used to collect valuable data when it comes to research or an experiment. Now not all polls are 100% accurate or legit, anyone with an IQ could tell you that, but Sakurai's poll is a decent base for argument because it is a reference that isn't pulled out of thin air. Just because characters are on the poll doesn't necessarily guarantee them a spot on the official roster. For sake or argument, the top five picks on the poll have the highest chances of appearing as playable characters. However, a high chance doesn't mean anything.
In terms of Smash Bros Brawl, one must never forget that it is a Nintendo game and therefore will have bias. Although I would love to have a boatload of third parties, it isn't likely. The point is, because this is a Nintendo title, the characters you see will usually have rich Nintendo history behind them or the characters must have appeared on a Nintendo counsel at least once.

All right, I know I'm boring you with info you already have, I'll begin the real part of my post now. I just felt as if it was important to have those elements in mind as I type this out because often my position is misinterpreted.

The never ending Geno argument:

So, who is this Geno guy that everyone is talking about? Whats so great about him? Is he cool? Has he appeared in many games? Is he popular? I'll try to answer these questions to the best of my abilities. I won't necessarily go too far in depth considering there is a Geno thread.

A lot of people aren't giving Geno his due credit. Many of the negative arguments are about how he hasn't been in many games, why he's unpopular and how there is stronger representation of Square Enix than a godforsaken puppet that nobody has even heard of.

A) Roughly 10 years ago, Nintendo pushed on to find a new idea for a Mario game. They obviously noted Squaresoft's popularity and decided to contract them out for help. With the brilliant game designers at Squaresoft and Nintendo, they finally pulled through to create the first Mario RPG. Why was this a big deal? There were a ton of firsts in this title. Mario was finally in a 3D world, he could fight by using his fists and other weapons, the storyline was kind of shoddy but was interesting nontheless but most importantly, Squaresoft developed this marvelous game. So whats the deal? Squaresoft has developed PLENTY of games for Nintendo. Well, this is Squaresoft's first Mario game. Arguably for the first time, Squaresoft acted as a second party to Nintendo. Not only did Squaresoft create characters FOR a Mario game (I'll cover this in a moment, sit tight) but they also created building blocks for future Mario RPGs to come.

B) When Squaresoft was working on Super Mario RPG, they wanted to create some memorable characters who are known as "Geno" and "Mallow". In a sense, you could consider Geno and Mallow to be Square Enix's Mario characters. So who would be bestto represent Square Enix in Super Smash Bros Brawl? Geno or Mallow of course! Now stop! Hold on right there! I completely understand that there are a million other choices for characters to represent Square Enix in Super Smash Bros Brawl, but the point is, Super Smash Bros Brawl is a Nintendo fighter! If this fighting game were based on popularity and nothing else, then by all means, add Cloud, add Auron, add Sephiroth, add Sora etc. Again, people, Geno is Square Enix's NINTENDO character! You won't see Geno or Mallow outside of the Nintendo world!

C) Unfortunately for a lot of arguers who oppose Geno, it isn't my fault or problem that Geno scored very high on Sakurai's official poll. Its just the way it is. If the fans felt as if Sora or Cloud or Crono were more popular and more deserving, then THEY should have scored as high if not higher than Geno on this poll. So about Geno only appearing in one game.. if you can recall, when Squaresoft was developing games, for a long time there were no direct sequels to any games they developed. Sure there is Final Fantasy II, but is that a direct sequel to the first? Is Final Fantasy III a direct sequel to Final Fantasy II? This was an unwritten rule for Squaresoft at the time. RECENTLY, the rule has been broken and the unwritten rule theory is one of the reasons why there was never a direct sequel to Super Mario RPG. Besides, Super Mario RPG is a masterpiece, perhaps also Nintendo and Squaresoft felt as if it should have stayed standalone. Also, it is possible that Nintendo and Squaresoft couldn't come to a legal agreement at the time. We may never know.

D) Now I will discuss some of the hints or evidence that supports Geno's cause in Super Smash Bros Brawl. By the way, before I get into any of this, this entire sub point is entirely speculation and opinions. I do not claim to have any official information and any accuracy listed that has proven Geno's spot on the roster is completely coincidental. All right, I hope that made sense ^_^. Anyways, aside from Geno being a top pick on the official poll, what else is there to support his inclusion in Super Smash Bros Brawl? Weeelllll... a while back, I think it was Nintendo's president that wanted Smash Bros Brawl to showcase Nintendo's history. It makes sense because of the amount of retro characters on the roster. I believe it is safe to assume that the very first Mario RPG is important to Nintendo's history. Rather than ranting on in a paragraph I'll list some short reasons:

1) Super Mario RPG is coming to the Wii VC. If Square Enix is all right with that, (ok they make money off of it, I know, just hang in there) then why would they say no to Geno? Even if Square Enix holds the copyrights to Geno, I think Nintendo has some sort of say as well because of Geno's circumstances.

2) Geno isn't necessarily a third party character even IF he realistically is. Confusing isn't it? Well, Geno was created in a joint custody game, more specifically a Mario game. That is what makes Geno a unique character. He was technically created as a "second party" character, however Nintendo doesn't own Square Enix. Oh man, what to do! Unlike our good friend Culex who also appeared in Super Mario RPG, Geno was created from a copyrighted Mario "world" which is the Star Road. The Star Road first appeared in Super Mario World which was independently developed by Nintendo. There is much confusion when it comes to rights and such especially when you have a third party character that was CREATED for a Mario game. *on a side note I have contacted Nintendo about if they have some sort of partial rights to Geno, I am still awaiting a response. If you check the Smash Bros Melee instruction booklet, you will find that Rare was given due credit for their material that was developed under Nintendo's guidance. Perhaps the same logic can be applied to Geno?

3) Composers don't mean anything when it comes to character confirmation, lets face it.. or do they? Well, I took the liberty of researching the credits of Super Mario RPG and found that the music was created by Yoko Shimomura. She is also a confirmed composer for Super Smash Bros Brawl. Is this a coincidence? Due to Geno's popularity and the fact that she is a confirmed composer, may..maybe Geno really is a playable character..? o_O
*her work as listed as Kingdom Hearts, but I doubt that Sora is actually in Super Smash Bros Brawl. That doesn't mean I don't WANT Sora, it just seems more logical that Geno is IN Brawl.

All right guys, I think I've said enough (for now). Of course this explanation is far from complete. I appreciate you guys reading all or most of it. I am also aware there is a Geno thread with.. is it.. 400+ pages? So it probably means that I'm just repeating a bunch of information already stated in there. Oh well, my apologies if I am. I hope I was somewhat convincing! ^_^

ValiantVernon

Smash Journeyman
i wouldnt be to sad if Geno made it ehehehehe actually i would leap with joy and main him and sonic and Link but him as my main main lol
I wuoldnt even be able to express my happiness

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
.... This has turned into more of a Geno thread than a thread about "the poll" and its relationship with the newcomers for brawl. Maybe we should drop this Geno argument and start arguing if the poll actually has any influence over the newcomers to brawl, or even if its influence is greater than random measages being mailed to hal right now saying
"PLZ PLZ PLZ MR.SAKURA PUT RAY 01 IN GAME!!! MUCH LOVE, Ray01_3452@hotmail.com"

... or we could drop this whole thing and start spreading some love for RAY 01!?

I know I already posted on this one, and most people just replied "Yeah he should be, but what about Geno?"

You know what screw Geno, Ray 01 DEFINETLEY DESERVES MORE LOVE THAN A PUPPET THAT CAME OUT IN ONE GAME!

on top of that, Geno isn't even really a puppet, hes just some sort of star spirit possesing a puppet in order to help save his Star Road with the help of Mario and co.

Giant Customizable Robot > Puppet
Entire Series > Secondary Character in one game

Ray 01>Geno

Ray 01 for Brawl (and Doc too)

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
.... This has turned into more of a Geno thread than a thread about "the poll" and its relationship with the newcomers for brawl. Maybe we should drop this Geno argument and start arguing if the poll actually has any influence over the newcomers to brawl, or even if its influence is greater than random measages being mailed to hal right now saying
"PLZ PLZ PLZ MR.SAKURA PUT RAY 01 IN GAME!!! MUCH LOVE, Ray01_3452@hotmail.com"

... or we could drop this whole thing and start spreading some love for RAY 01!?

I know I already posted on this one, and most people just replied "Yeah he should be, but what about Geno?"

You know what screw Geno, Ray 01 DEFINETLEY DESERVES MORE LOVE THAN A PUPPET THAT CAME OUT IN ONE GAME!

on top of that, Geno isn't even really a puppet, hes just some sort of star spirit possesing a puppet in order to help save his Star Road with the help of Mario and co.

Giant Customizable Robot > Puppet
Entire Series > Secondary Character in one game

Ray 01>Geno

Ray 01 for Brawl (and Doc too)
Geno doesn't belong to Nintendo though.. it isn't as if they can do whatever they wish with him. They most likely need permission from Square Enix and when you have other parties involved in developing games, Nintendo doesn't make as much of a profit as they would if they developed their games independently. Which would you prefer? All profits or 1/2 or 3/4 of the total profit?

I acknowledge your support for Ray 01, but it isn't necessary to belittle Geno..

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
Geno doesn't belong to Nintendo though.. it isn't as if they can do whatever they wish with him. They most likely need permission from Square Enix and when you have other parties involved in developing games, Nintendo doesn't make as much of a profit as they would if they developed their games independently. Which would you prefer? All profits or 1/2 or 3/4 of the total profit?

I acknowledge your support for Ray 01, but it isn't necessary to belittle Geno..

Theres one flaw in your argument, the fact that you beleive there actually losing a % of the earnings, in reality there not. Lets look at Sonic for a second (Ignore Snake since Mr.Sakura was doing his homie a favour)

Sonic is in a Nintendo game but sega isn't gaining money off this deal, wth? Did sega do Nintendo a favour and donate them there character? No, in reality they did a trade, Mario was lent to Sega for a game (Mario and Sonic at the Olympics) and in return Nintendo go to use Sonic. So if they DO get to take a Square Enix character, Square Enix will take Mario for one of their games.

Cool no?

Sorry for Belittling Geno, just didnt think he should get more attention than Ray 01 (am I the only guy who seriously awed at the fact that he's being picked over the most randomest characters?)

Which reminds me DROP THE GENO, no more talking Geno, lets talk poll or better yet Ray 01

AmericanGTS

Smash Apprentice
Theres one flaw in your argument, the fact that you beleive there actually losing a % of the earnings, in reality there not. Lets look at Sonic for a second (Ignore Snake since Mr.Sakura was doing his homie a favour)

Sonic is in a Nintendo game but sega isn't gaining money off this deal, wth? Did sega do Nintendo a favour and donate them there character? No, in reality they did a trade, Mario was lent to Sega for a game (Mario and Sonic at the Olympics) and in return Nintendo go to use Sonic. So if they DO get to take a Square Enix character, Square Enix will take Mario for one of their games.

Cool no?

Sorry for Belittling Geno, just didnt think he should get more attention than Ray 01 (am I the only guy who series awed at the fact that he's being picked over the most randomest characters?)

Which reminds me DROP THE GENO, no more talking Geno, lets talk poll or better yet Ray 01
Umm, I didn't say I believed that Nintendo is "losing" money, just not gaining as much as they could if they independently developed a title. It isn't economically possible to say they aren't gaining as much as they could if another party is involved and taking some of the profits.. Also, Sonic doesn't compare to Geno.. Sonic games are still in production and Sonic is a much more profitable and recognizable character than Geno.

But, you're right, enough with the Geno argument. All I can do, as the loyal fanboy I am, is wait for his confirmation! *crosses fingers*

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
I trust that he is in. Sure, it'd be a challenge for Sakurai to make him a PC, but it's a challenge he can face fine.
plus if being a PC doesnt work...he still has a great chance of being either an AT or a boss....but yet for some reason i just find him only as a boss....I dont hate him...but i see him better this way....

Reyairia

Smash Champion
plus if being a PC doesnt work...he still has a great chance of being either an AT or a boss....but yet for some reason i just find him only as a boss....I dont hate him...but i see him better this way....
He can be both, look at Bowser in Melee.
Mother Brain can be a boss only character, Ridley needs to be playable because that's just how important he is.

Ridley FTB!!!

Smash Lord
He can be both, look at Bowser in Melee.
Mother Brain can be a boss only character, Ridley needs to be playable because that's just how important he is.

i agree but for a better sse for ridley to show more awsomeness is this...

Youre character walks into the room with mother brain.suddenly you see ridley attacking mother brain.he kills her easily and goes for you making it look like he is uber tough.as his appearance on in battle.he flys in from the background just like in mp1

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
But wait, I really dont think the whole Bowser as boss and also playable really works. Mostly for this reason , Melee never really had a story line and an actual "Boss" fight in the sence that your were actually doing something all to come to this endiong to face off with the greatest , only random appearances by characters, and a final showdown with Master/Crazy hand and maybe GIGA bowser... that didnt come out to right, I mean as in the Boss idea in melee isn't really the traditional boss fight and is not to the same caliber as these Boss fights in Brawl

However this time around I doubt will ever see Characters playing a dual roll as boss and character, the only that could happen is... (Imagine this Scenario)

Mario is player 1 and P1 is doing his normal platforming untill "Cut scene" Giant gomba apperes and bam right before it attacks Sonic cuts in and smacks goomba into the sky with his charged spin move thingy, thus triggering a battle between Mario and Sonic and when P1 wins (The metroid item find or LOZ Item find music plays whichever you prefer) and it says "You can now play as Sonic" or w/e and the game continues.

This could happen for Ridley, but replace Mario with Samus and Goomba with a Metroid but really, if you think of it, Ridley is the most Iconic enemy and the most recuring boss in the Metroid series, it would make more sense for him to be a boss then an actual PC . I know I know some of you will say, HEY what about Bowser noob he's Mario's "Most Iconic Boss" and he's still a PC!!!! ... well first off Bowser is playable in many other games and Bowser is also on the rare occasion a good guy (Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga)
also hes Bowser, and Ridley is Ridley. Ridley reeks of pure evil while Bowser just doesnt cut it.

Id rather see Ridley as PC but my money is on him being the Metroid Boss

Reyairia

Smash Champion
HEY what about Bowser noob he's Mario's "Most Iconic Boss" and he's still a PC!!!! ... well first off Bowser is playable in many other games and Bowser is also on the rare occasion a good guy (Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga)
also hes Bowser, and Ridley is Ridley. Ridley reeks of pure evil while Bowser just doesnt cut it.
What about Ganondorf then? :D

DarkLink64

Smash Rookie
Id say my characters for Brawl are,

Paper Mario,
Zant,
Wolf Link,
James Bond,
Shadow,
Bowser Jr.
and maybe some others I cant think of right now

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Id say my characters for Brawl are,

Paper Mario,
Zant,
Wolf Link,
James Bond,
Shadow,
Bowser Jr.
and maybe some others I cant think of right now
James Bond is not an original video game character plus he only uses guns....and Sakurai forbids the use of actual bullets.. *shoots JB*

if yur talking Shadow from the Sonic series....honestly..what were u thinking?...*beheads Shadow* beside we are not going to have another third party character from the same series as the ones we have that were mentioned....

Wolf Link....well....although that would seem interesting....how will that explain the story in The Subspace Emissary? *traps Wolf Link in a cage*....

adaptor17

Smash Journeyman
it would be amazing if these characters were in...
Link
Pit
Lucario
Shadow the Hedgehog
if this were to happen,it would be even better than what it is now.(the best game of all time).

MegatronPwnsYou

Smash Lord
James Bond is not an original video game character plus he only uses guns....and Sakurai forbids the use of actual bullets.. *shoots JB*
James Bond has a bigger chance then you think, he was on the Melee and Brawl polls. Sakurai shows much interest in him. Plus he has alot of gadgets too, Q-Jet, Grapple Claw, Watch Lazer, pen grenade, not just guns.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
James Bond has a bigger chance then you think, he was on the Melee and Brawl polls. Sakurai shows much interest in him. Plus he has alot of gadgets too, Q-Jet, Grapple Claw, Watch Lazer, pen grenade, not just guns.
eh...tru....and the motion senor bomb from the first USver SSB and US ver SSBM did make an appearance from the James Bond games....IDK...it just that whole movie rights and how he didnt start as an original game character....but if he wasnt a movie character...then i would say yes

sonic smash down

Smash Lord
eh...tru....and the motion senor bomb from the first USver SSB and US ver SSBM did make an appearance from the James Bond games....IDK...it just that whole movie rights and how he didnt start as an original game character....but if he wasnt a movie character...then i would say yes

yeah but since snake is in as that kind of character james is not going to pull though on this mission he will just turn out as a copy of snake unless thats one of his alternate costumes which i doubt

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
hmm although Sakurai is not putting any anime characters in this game ( and im very glad that he isnt)....but if he did...I got the perfect character from an anime that would be a splendid addition to Brawl......and no...its not from DBZ

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Please don't say Naruto.
although im a Naruto fan...he's not in my choices for Brawl.....espcially if they are going to use the American voice ( DIE MAILE FLANAGAN!!!!!!) no i have someone else in mind....someone frightful...someone impulsive.....she's the very last person u'll want to ever owe money too......>=D

MegatronPwnsYou

Smash Lord
although im a Naruto fan...he's not in my choices for Brawl.....espcially if they are going to use the American voice ( DIE MAILE FLANAGAN!!!!!!) no i have someone else in mind....someone frightful...someone impulsive.....she's the very last person u'll want to ever owe money too......>=D
Sailor Moon?

Top Bottom