• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters on Sakurai's Poll

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
you can bring up Super Mario Sunshine Bowser all you want. Bowser's been in more Mario games than just that and he's always been only slightly bigger than Mario. one game isn't going to change a thing.

not to mention that Melee came out before Sunshine anyway.. so they really had nothing to 'tune down'.

oh, and a cookie to anyone who guesses Bowser's size after the boss fight was over. no, really. guess.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
you can bring up Super Mario Sunshine Bowser all you want. Bowser's been in more Mario games than just that and he's always been only slightly bigger than Mario. one game isn't going to change a thing.

not to mention that Melee came out before Sunshine anyway.. so they really had nothing to 'tune down'.

oh, and a cookie to anyone who guesses Bowser's size after the boss fight was over. no, really. guess.
Yeah, and Sakurai is so going to leave out such an important character in the Metroid series solely because they won't resize him.
Oh wait, they already did.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
the sprite pics are pretty accurate if you give Mario his regular mushroom. the size difference isn't that great.

as for the Galaxy picture, what's it matter when it came after Melee?

and I'll admit, grahamcracker, that's not a BAD resize, but I still doubt Ridley getting in simply because he was mentioned in the update directly. that's just me, though.

Wreked

Smash Lord
the sprite pics are pretty accurate if you give Mario his regular mushroom. the size difference isn't that great.

Why does it matter about melee. Were talking about Ridley's size and how he can be resized. And Galaxy is a current game where Brawl Bowser and Galaxy Bowser are totally different and that he was resized without a problem.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
Bowser was already resized before Sunshine came out. so it's not hard to tune up something that was already resized from the start.

but that argument doesn't matter anymore; I see Ridley's slightly smaller in the Melee intro. I still don't think he's going to make it, though.

Wreked

Smash Lord
Bowser was already resized before Sunshine came out. so it's not hard to tune up something that was already resized from the start.

but that argument doesn't matter anymore; I see Ridley's slightly smaller in the Melee intro. I still don't think he's going to make it, though.
Umm ok. I feel that way about geno but whatever.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Here's a fun little compare:

Ridley -
+ Direct confrontation history with Samus.
+ One of the more important characters for Metroid.
+ Bad@$$
- Size issues, but they hardly count.
- Um... nothing here, no other negatives on him.

Geno
+ Popular, I suppose.
+ Unique
- Not a main character.
- Not a Nintendo character.
- Not a recurring character.

Ridley has pretty much nothing against him but the size issue, and Bowser is fair proof it doesn't matter.

Wreked

Smash Lord

Ridley -
+ Bad@$$

Geno
+ Popular, I suppose.
+ Unique
- Not a main character.

Ridley has pretty much nothing against him but the size issue, and Bowser is fair proof it doesn't matter.

I agree completely. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Geno he is just meh to me. I don't really care if he is in or not, kinda like DeDeDe was to me. If he is third party then I won't like him cause he'll give megaman a run for his money. But if he does indeed belong to nintendo then whatever. I'll try him out but I won't main him. I sure as h**l will try to main Ridley though.

Hoboman725

Smash Journeyman
Geno
+ Hugely popular
+ Unique
- Not a main character..
+Retro character
+did I mention the immense fanbase?
+great moveset

Wreked

Smash Lord
Geno
+ Hugely popular
+ Unique
- Not a main character..
+Retro character
+great moveset
Fanbase can only get you so far. And I think that the only thing that is holding him back is his status with Nintendo. I don't really like his moveset. it's cool and all but it's not wow, that's unique and cool. But i've only seen the one mcfox made so I don't know. If you have another better moveset i'll be glad to see it.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
Geno isn't nintendo technically but he is one at heart.

let's not forget the advantage of him being a Mario rep. that automatically gives him just as much importance if you REALLY think about it.

Wreked

Smash Lord
Geno isn't nintendo technically but he is one at heart.

let's not forget the advantage of him being a Mario rep. that automatically gives him just as much importance if you REALLY think about it.
So geno is third party?

And yeah being from a mario game is a plus but that would still be just another rep in a crowded franchise anyway.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
Geno is third-party but some consider him second-party through some long explanation that basically says he's more of a second-party character.

I'm not really onto that kind of issue though.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Geno
+ Hugely popular
+ Unique
- Not a main character..
+Retro character
+great moveset
The 'Retro' characters are all from really short series, two-three games. Super Mario Brothers does not make the cut for Retro since its still going.

I already hit the popularity button, needs no listing twice.

I hit the Unique thing when it comes to moveset, it needs no listing twice.

Geno is a fine character, and him getting in is okay by my book. However in a compair to Ridley as 'who deserves it more' there really is no contest. And I ain't a Metroid fan, I've played two Metroid games and didn't finish either.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
The 'Retro' characters are all from really short series, two-three games. Super Mario Brothers does not make the cut for Retro since its still going.

I already hit the popularity button, needs no listing twice.

I hit the Unique thing when it comes to moveset, it needs no listing twice.

Geno is a fine character, and him getting in is okay by my book. However in a compair to Ridley as 'who deserves it more' there really is no contest. And I ain't a Metroid fan, I've played two Metroid games and didn't finish either.
deserving in that context still comes down to preference.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
deserving in that context still comes down to preference.
Not when one character is the main antagonist, the reason why the protagonist became who she was, and has been in almost every game in the franchise.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to see Geno getting in if it weren't for his immense popularity.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
Not when one character is the main antagonist, the reason why the protagonist became who she was, and has been in almost every game in the franchise.
Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to see Geno getting in if it weren't for his immense popularity.
well, Geno does have a few things going for if you want to mean it like that (albeit not as great as Ridley's significance to his series)

Geno stars in the first Nintendo RPG that started off a branch of other Mario RPGs that turned out being real successful. he pretty much added more depth to the storyline besides saving Princess Peach. he's also the only Mario character you'd ever really want to label "badass" or close to it.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Did anyone look at the poll that Smash 64 and Melee had?

Someone made a topic on Gfaqs for the results of those polls:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=39153675

Maybe looking at the old polls can give us a better idea on how the poll would influence character selection for Brawl.
Game FAQ is hardly reliable when it comes to that sort of stuff... Although, the results on that are the same as this:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=81891

Maybe they had the same source.

As for the character selection influence, I think there will be many more characters slots then the last one, and I think either the really popular, or really obscure, are going to make it.

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
... You know who I think deserves to be in Brawl more than both Ridely and Geno?

Ray 01

You know why? cause .... maybe I should make a list....

+ IS A main character for his own game
+ IS a 1st party character
+ Has no represantation, outside of trophies in any SSB game
+ Would be the only robot fighter
+ If you played any of the Custom Robo games, you know his move set is unlimted...mostly
+ Is extremely unique

I really dont see why he wont be in this game at all, Metroid already has a representer(Im not really counting Zamus) and Geno aint really 1st party.

Custom Robo needs to be in this game (also Doc but thats just me)

... totaly off Topic but does anyone else want a galaxy stage? Maybe just a planet where you could some how go all around it and when you jump, you jump higher than normal, and gravity would pull you back down really fast if youre a certain distance away from the planet.

Would be cool

Ridley FTB!!!

Smash Lord
... You know who I think deserves to be in Brawl more than both Ridely and Geno?

Ray 01

You know why? cause .... maybe I should make a list....

+ IS A main character for his own game
+ IS a 1st party character
+ Has no represantation, outside of trophies in any SSB game
+ Would be the only robot fighter
+ If you played any of the Custom Robo games, you know his move set is unlimted...mostly
+ Is extremely unique

I really dont see why he wont be in this game at all, Metroid already has a representer(Im not really counting Zamus) and Geno aint really 1st party.

Custom Robo needs to be in this game (also Doc but thats just me)
okay..ill explain the ridley part(someone else can do geno)
samus being the only represent of the 4/5th best nintendo franchise ever.look donkey kong now has two reps.metroid is way..way..way more famous than Donkey kong.ridley is on the polls 4/5.high for everyones standers.ridley has also converted many to like him even at first the wanted to 'diss' him.being the only other decent metroid rep he has to be in..k

also ray 01 should be in as a pc.he would be awsome.

balladofwindfishes

Smash Journeyman

and I'll admit, grahamcracker, that's not a BAD resize, but I still doubt Ridley getting in simply because he was mentioned in the update directly. that's just me, though.
that's hypocritical to say Ridley is too big and that Mario sprites are accurate because in sprite based games Ridley is only a bit taller than Samus, about the same height difference as sprite mario and sprite bowser...

GhostAnime

Smash Ace

give Mario his mushroom and they're relatively the same height.

the difference between these two are much, much greater than the difference between him and Bowser.

not that it matters anymore. he's resized in Melee, anyway. see my previous post.

ruffrydr017

Smash Apprentice
okay..ill explain the ridley part(someone else can do geno)
samus being the only represent of the 4/5th best nintendo franchise ever.look donkey kong now has two reps.metroid is way..way..way more famous than Donkey kong..
Donkey Kong has been around since, how long? Sorry, DK is way more well known to the common man than Metriod and Samus.

But I do agree, Metroid needs more representatives, and one who isn't Dark Samus.

Ridley FTB!!!

Smash Lord
Donkey Kong has been around since, how long? Sorry, DK is way more well known to the common man than Metriod and Samus.

But I do agree, Metroid needs more representatives, and one who isn't Dark Samus.
yeah DK has been around one of the longest but many people say his series has just went *makes fart noise*but Fans still beleive(Evidence:Diddy)

Rick88

Smash Journeyman

Ridley -
+ Bad@$$

Geno
+ Popular, I suppose.
+ Unique
- Not a main character.

Actually

Geno
+ Popular
+ Unique
+ Important character
+ Sakurai considers him 1st party after Nintendo and Squaresoft had settled their differences (don't know the story there)
- Not a main character
- Not a recurring character

Nothing against Ridley, but I think Geno has a greater, if not, equal chance of being there as much as Ridley does.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Actually

Geno
+ Popular
+ Unique
+ Important character
+ Sakurai considers him 1st party after Nintendo and Squaresoft had settled their differences (don't know the story there)
- Not a main character
- Not a recurring character

Nothing against Ridley, but I think Geno has a greater, if not, equal chance of being there as much as Ridley does.
Geno isn't really important. Super Mario RPG was an important game, and Geno just happened to be in it. He isn't really important to the Mario storyline at all anymore, which is my definition of importance.
Nothing against Geno, as I'm not opposed to his inclusion but if it weren't for his immense popularity I don't think he'd get in.
Ridley however, is recurring, is important, a young teen who has never played Metroid before could recognize him and therefore caters to a vast audience, and not only the people who were born in the 80s.
(Take a stats course and you'll realize that internet polls are hardly reliable)
So yeah, while Geno probably scored higher with the older gamers that go and check out Nintendo websites if you were to take it out with the teens they'd just go "Who is Geno?" Hence why I don't think the poll is too reliable, and Sakurai would probably realize it himself as well.

GhostAnime

Smash Ace
Geno isn't really important. Super Mario RPG was an important game, and Geno just happened to be in it. He isn't really important to the Mario storyline at all anymore, which is my definition of importance.
Nothing against Geno, as I'm not opposed to his inclusion but if it weren't for his immense popularity I don't think he'd get in.
Ridley however, is recurring, is important, a young teen who has never played Metroid before could recognize him and therefore caters to a vast audience, and not only the people who were born in the 80s.
(Take a stats course and you'll realize that internet polls are hardly reliable)
So yeah, while Geno probably scored higher with the older gamers that go and check out Nintendo websites if you were to take it out with the teens they'd just go "Who is Geno?" Hence why I don't think the poll is too reliable, and Sakurai would probably realize it himself as well.
Geno may not be the exact focus in Super Mario RPG, but he has just about as much significance to his game than Ridley does to his series. I'd say a partner that makes the storyline interesting is just as good as a villain that re-appears all the time.

of course, in an Internet poll, Ridley would win. there's no mistaking it.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Geno may not be the exact focus in Super Mario RPG, but he has just about as much significance to his game than Ridley does to his series. I'd say a partner that makes the storyline interesting is just as good as a villain that re-appears all the time.
Yes, but it still continues to be solely one game, and Ridley is important in the whole series of games, making him more important, and whether you believe one is more interesting than the other is solely your opinion. The characters that get into Brawl are made to represent a whole franchise, and thus should not be limited to solely one game. As I've said before, I am not opposed to Geno's inclusion at all, but I think you are making a big mistake by comparing his importance and the likelihood of his inclusion to Ridley's.

Top Bottom