• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters on Sakurai's Poll

D1

Banned via Administration
O____o wait Jet Force Gemini chars might make it into Brawl?!!!

OMFG I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS SCHWEEEEET!

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sniffnoy said:
M, true. Regardless, though, I've found it. Google knows all. Entering those two katakana words into Google, the first result is Nintendo's page for a game called Star Twins featuring a character named Lupus, which also happens to have been released in 1999. Wikipedia then tells us that this game was in English known as Jet Force Gemini, and Lupus still called Lupus.
Nice detective work! So RUUPUSU of SUTAATSINZU is Lupus of Star Twins (JFG)... interesting.

Oh, is Lupus the dog? That would be interesting indeed.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Lupus is the dog.

But keep in mind, these are just user suggestions. Sakurai isn't saying these characters have any chance at all.

ßruK

Smash Apprentice
They're are suggesting music that was already in melee. ZOMG. Stupid Japaneses >_<

The Kirby Superstar's Music will obviously be in the game. >_< (Metaknight's battleship music and Kirby's famous battle game)

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
Jet Force Gemini's still Rareware property anyway. Microsoft wouldn't allow it, even if Rare was originally Nintendo's property in the first place. They're ignorant vultures.

TrustTheFungus

Smash Cadet
I read on a different message board that #71 is talking about Takamaru from Nazo no Murasamejou.

"In addition, in the same disk Gaea also the 鷹 circle of the village rainy castle of puzzle is favorite [kiyara].
The music where that paste is good in the background castle town the 鷹 circle which runs about. Very, was the difficult game, but the enemy which got near, the span! The pleasant sensation which with the sword one can just shake and push down did not accumulate at all.
Recently, knowing that degree of distinction of the 鷹 circle is low above imagining, it will be amazed, but reputation we want recovering here, you think that is, doing, it increases."

I imagine "disk Gaea" is the Famicom Disk System. "Castle of puzzle" would be a bad translation of part of Nazo no Murasamejou. (Nazo=puzzle, and I think jou is castle, but I don't know Japanese.) "? circle" seems to be talking about a character, which I assume is Takamaru. Actually...now that I think about it. I believe "maru" is circle. I remember watching the ending theme for the Kirby anime in Japanese. It used the word "maru" a lot to explain how to draw Kirby. I believe it was circle.

This would be great. Takamaru is one of my top ten most wanted characters!

Etra

Smash Cadet
Wow. I didn't know Jet Force Gemini was such a popular game. :o I still have the box for it right over there! -points-

Would be really cool to see Geno and Lupus in there. <3 Most of those characters, though...Ew. :S

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Somehow I think that they'd pick Juno to be in SSBB before Lupus seeing as how he's the main character and all...

On a side...how could I have forgotten about Juno for SSBB...I freakin' loved that game...; ;

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I really don't see how you people are dissapointed by this list..
I mean: Megaman, Geno, Kalas, Sigurd, Captain Olimar, Ike, Simon Belmont...I'm also sure that Nintendo is considering other characters as well. (and yes I know this isn't officially who made the cut into SSBB.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Ya...as much as I'd hate to admit it...JFG isn't that popular and the fact that its a third party game only shatters the chances of him being in more...

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Oh yeah...keep forgetting that though they clearly say they are part of Microsoft Game Studios on their website...

Which makes Juno's chances boarderline impossible. /sigh

On a more serious note,I wish we could figure out the purpose of this list...I will be seriously disheartened (moreso than McFox makes me) if this is only a list of the characters that intrigue Mr. Sakurai or he thought deserved a second thought...despite their low chances of making it in. I'm starting to hate this "suggestion poll" now...

GenG

Smash Lord
It's strange, so far any suggestion in the Sakurai's poll hasn't mentioned Stafy even once. It's a very popular character in Japan, with 4 games, with both moveset and a fighting style that would fit very good in the game. He is actually one of the characters that SHOULD be in instead of these Mario and Zelda generic characters like Waluigi, Daisy, Koopa Troopa, Toad, Goomba, Skullkid, Tingle... He even could switch places with Stapy with down B ala Zelda/Sheik, since Stapy has different moves and properties (wall jump, sweep, magic shield, weaker, smaller yet faster...). Really, he should be in, when you play any Stafy game and you unlock all the moves, you can't avoid to think: "Man, this character is perfect for Smash Bros.".

The same with Ray 01. He is a proyectile spammer but more focused in strategic setups and traps based in delayed explosions, with almost 3 different types of proyectiles (missile, bomb, main weapon), a rush tackle, three jumps, dash jumps. Ray 01 vs Samus yay.

It's very frustrating, such perfect characters that could not appear in Brawl cause there is no people suggesting them. I heard that Brawl could be the last one (since Sakurai was almost "dragged" in this project) and I would like to see some special characters in.

I'm all optimistic for these two, really. The game will still rock without them, but... Won't be the same, at least for me.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Ya, I think Starfi has a large chance of getting in. Kinda like FE (for awhile), his is just one of thos JPN only franchises that has enough games in it series (though the Ice Climbers and Ness have shown that doesn't matter) to merit their place in SSBB. And the whole "Where the freak is that thing from?" could motivate them to bring another JPN only series over to America.

Custom Robo might have the same chances, though I don't know if its as popular...

On a side note...its weird that Starfi didn't have a trophy, in SSBM, while Ray 01 did...

GenG

Smash Lord
It's not that weird, because the first Stafy game was released on later 2002 (as I recall, don't sure about it either) and Smash Bros. DX hit stores almost a year before that. Some odd facts: Stafy had a teaser poster in the Yoshi Cinema in Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, appears in the new Super Princess Peach (they called him Starfish, a prince of a faraway land), and Wario made several appareances in Stafy 3 too. You know, they both are "treasure hunters". Funny indeed :D

Custom Robo has 4 games so far, and an upcoming DS game: Custom Robo Arena, scheduled for this year.

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
Custom Robo might have the same chances, though I don't know if its as popular...
Probably not as popular here in America though. Only one game was released to my knowledge and it tanked. (It's ridiculously linear. The story's okay though. I'll give it that.)

GenG

Smash Lord
Custom Robo GC has an average fan backup in the US and it sold amazingly good (it surpassed games like 1080º Avalanche or Fire Emblem Path of Radiance), plus they are bringing the DS title too.

Not sure about Japan either, but the GC one did pretty bad.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I'm not, the one for the gamecube was terrible and repetitive for the most part and I doubt it could get better by going to the DS.

GenG

Smash Lord
The main gist of the CR series is to challenge people who actually have the game with your own setup. If you don't have anybody to play, the game gets kind of boring and weak after unlocking everything.
However, the DS one will have online battles. The matter is wether you like the gameplay and the "make your robo" thing. But the online battles is the most obvious addition to the series at this point.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Yea that's true. I guess it could get better just like Mario Kart did by going online(but then again I actually liked Mario Kart to begin with) but since I don't like the gameplay in CR, I'm not going to like this one either but other than that I'm sure it'll sell better than its gamecube counterpart(even though that's not saying much)

D1

Banned via Administration
kilroy said:
it could mean any number of things, but i think it's worth noting that these are the poll entries/suggestions from japanese fans that Sakurai is choosing to present to the public.

references are:

Megaman (Megaman)
Claus (MOTHER 3)
Lucas (MOTHER 3)
King K. Rool (DK Country)
King Dedede (Kirby)
Geno (SMB RPG)
Professor Kawashima (Brain Age)
Kalas (Batten Kaitos)
Sigurd (Fire Emblem)
Black Shadow (F-Zero)
Dragon Chan (Super Punch-Out!!!)
G-Red (Gotchaforce)
Hammer Bros. (Super Mario Bros.)
Oguma (Fire Emblem)
Captain Olimar (Pikmin)
Lip (Panel de Pon)
Ike (Fire Emblem)
Black Knight (Fire Emblem)
Toad (Super Mario Bros. 2)
Lolo and Lala (Kirby)
Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
Ray 01 (Custom Robo)
Princess Katia (Lost Kingdom)
Sukapon (Joy Mecha Fight)
Colonel Volgin (Metal Gear Solid 3)
Lupus (Jet Force Gemini)
Ganondorf/Ganon (Legend of Zelda)

Sakurai said no manga characters.

the poll will end around July.

that's all we can discern so far. let me know if something changes on the WEBSITE and i'll update.
KALAS FROM BATEN KAITOS!!!!!!!!!!! OMMMMMMFG SWEEET!

GenG

Smash Lord
Oh my ****ing god, Sakurai uploaded today 30 new entries instead of the usual 10.
I now a bit of romaji (I turn the text from kanji to romaji), but It's too much text for me.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
McFox's Dead Body said:
Well, I doubt Sakurai is making his decisions based solely on what random Japanese people are suggesting.

not solely, no, but they are a factor. he wants to connect with the fans and see what they want. that's the point of this.

he did this last time, too. that's how we got marth and roy.

i'm confident at least one of these people will be in the game. that's all i can say, though. otherwise, it's just a look into the minds of the japanese fans, so we can see what sakurai sees (or at least what he chooses to share.)

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Urg, I dont have the time now, and I'll be in class from 10 until 4:30 (**** those long discussion sessions) but when I get back, I might have enough time to translate all of the character suggestions if you guys really need me to.

The_TooCool_Master

Smash Apprentice
I'll see what I can do...

1-????(seems like he's talking about Link and Pikachu's look)
2-I think it's King DeDeDe
3-F-Zero character
4-Yotshusi? (Japanese word)
5-Wind Waker Link?
6-Cat Eye Link?
7-??????
8-??????
9-??????
10-I think it's Sora from KH.
11-??????
12-??????
13-Pikmin and Olimar?
14-The angry chickens from the Zelda series.
15-Talking about Ness.
16-??????
17-Metroid characters and DeDeDe?

Might have missed 2 characters. My translator stopped translating at some parts.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
The_TooCool_Master said:
I'll see what I can do...

1-????(seems like he's talking about Link and Pikachu's look)
2-I think it's King DeDeDe
3-F-Zero character
4-Yotshusi? (Japanese word)
5-Wind Waker Link?
6-Cat Eye Link?
7-??????
8-??????
9-??????
10-I think it's Sora from KH.
11-??????
12-??????
13-Pikmin and Olimar?
14-The angry chickens from the Zelda series.
15-Talking about Ness.
16-??????
17-Metroid characters and DeDeDe?

Might have missed 2 characters. My translator stopped translating at some parts.
3 = Falcon
4 = Yoshi

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
Shark X said:
Apparently not. But if he's considering Sora, Wind Waker Link, and Angery Chickens, then I truely believe none of these list are true...
what do you mean by "true?" what are you looking for?

this isn't that complicated. these are the entries that tickle sakurai's fancy. angry chickens won't be playable characters, of course. they could be an item or stage hazard.

Top Bottom