• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters on Sakurai's Poll

HourglassMemory

Smash Journeyman
This is something I haven't understood yet....where do you guys read Sakurai's responses? How do you know it's him responding? Does he have a name with which you can indentify him on the boards? When I go to the boards it's just answers...I never really saw a list of things like you guys put in here. Could someone give me the page where this new list is?

Gold_Darkness

Smash Apprentice
kilroy said:
it could mean any number of things, but i think it's worth noting that these are the poll entries/suggestions from japanese fans that Sakurai is choosing to present to the public.

references are:

#114 Miyuutsu?
This is Mewtwo from Pokemon.

SmashZ

Smash Cadet
HourglassMemory said:
This is something I haven't understood yet....where do you guys read Sakurai's responses?
You do know that they're taking this information from the Japanese message list, not the American forums, right?

How do you know it's him responding? Does he have a name with which you can indentify him on the boards? When I go to the boards it's just answers...I never really saw a list of things like you guys put in here. Could someone give me the page where this new list is?
The list is made from the suggestions shown in the messages sent by Japanese fan, there isn't any kind of list prepared in the Japanese site itself.

Sakurai's replies always are in the last position of the page and have a gray background, not a white one, unlike the other messages.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
These are emails that he's responding to, not necessarily JUST character suggestions.

Check SamuraiPanda's stickied topic for the most important things that Sakurai has said.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
TrustTheFungus said:
...He's Takamaru. The star of Nazo no Murasamejou. Released April 14, 1986 for the Famicom Disk System. It was re-released for the Famicom Mini Series and made a cameo appearance in Pikmin 2.
what entry was that?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Entry #71.

The person mentions a Famicom Disk System game, describes it, and it is pretty much obvious to be Nazo no Murasamejou (Riddle of Castle Murasame). He asks if that game will appear as well, the protagonist being the young samurai Takamaru. I don't think Takamaru is called out BY NAME, but mentioning his game appearing implies they're asking for him. That's probably why it was missed.

I wonder if there's others people have skipped over by mistake, because they didn't get the translation JUST right... I mean, Takao? Who the heck is that?

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
FlipTroopa said:
Entry #71.

The person mentions a Famicom Disk System game, describes it, and it is pretty much obvious to be Nazo no Murasamejou (Riddle of Castle Murasame). He asks if that game will appear as well, the protagonist being the young samurai Takamaru. I don't think Takamaru is called out BY NAME, but mentioning his game appearing implies they're asking for him. That's probably why it was missed.

I wonder if there's others people have skipped over by mistake, because they didn't get the translation JUST right... I mean, Takao? Who the heck is that?

ok, thanks for that! yeah, we're doing out best here to tally them all up. consensus and inquiry seemed to indicate that Takao was a person and not a character. but we could be wrong.

TrustTheFungus

Smash Cadet
FlipTroopa said:
Entry #71.

It does mention Takamaru, but Google translates the "maru" at the end of his name into "circle."

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Woah, then that ROCKS, because I LOOOVE Nazo no Murasamejo :D :D

It's basically the sister game to Zelda, but all action. You can slash ninjas with your katana, toss out kunai/fireballs/paper fans, deflect shurikens with your sword, turn invisible, run on water... Hoo yeah! ^.^ What a fantastic addition to the SSB Franchise if Takamaru makes it in!

GenG

Smash Lord
Murasame-Jo is one the best 2D beat em up on NES, I like it much better than Ikari Warriors for example.
I'm all for Takamaru, but his style would crush a bit with another possible newcomer, Lyndis from Fire emblem.

So I'll swap Lyndis for Ephraim.

Oni Shinigami

Smash Journeyman
If megaman somehow makes it to the game it will be the end of my social life,I have already promised if he made it to the game I would abandon my other characters and pay full attention to being a Megaman expert.

The_TooCool_Master

Smash Apprentice
Bump for translation of the new stuff(I know Panda is away).

I looked and

no.136 : Better graphics for Zelda's magic attacks?
no.137 : Think he's asking for a stage. A forest that season's would change.
no.138 : Talking about Ness.
no.139 : He seems to be talking about the game's announcer voice.

TrainerAbu

Smash Cadet
Wow this topic went to the middle of the 2nd page @___@..

There's new ones up today, one suggests Little Mac.

GenG

Smash Lord
Yes, the Little Mac one is great: "The Legendary Champ, the man who defeated Myke Tyson".

I want him so badly in Brawl...

GenG

Smash Lord
The ogre is from Shin Oni ga Shima, a popular japanese text game based on the tale of Momotaro. Was released on NES and then remade on SNES in 1997.

Dragonz

Smash Rookie
MeLeo said:
The original Earthbound was called Mother in Japan. That is the game from where Ness is from, along with the three other main characters named Paula, Jeff, and Poo. There was originally going to be an Earthbound 2 for the N64 (which is the only reason why they put Ness in SSB), but the project was cancelled.

Instead, they created Mother 2 released in Japan only, which had a completely different story line and completely different characters from Earthbound. Mother 3 also shares no connection with Earthbound. I still have the original Earthbound for the SNES, and I feel only characters from Earthbound should be considered. Ness is from Earthbound, and his teammates from Earthbound should be the only ones that appear in SSBB.

It would be an insult to Earthbound and to Ness to add characters from the Mother series in Japan to SSBB. Not only that, but I feel the storyline from Earthbound was great, and I was so angry when they cancelled the Earthbound 2 project for the N64. Now that Ness is already in the SSB series, only characters in his game should be added. Paula, Jeff, and Poo were created with Ness and they would be perfect additions to the game.
Poo should definetly have more priority in being added to the SSBB roster as opposed to those washups claus and lucas from Mother 3.

Sniffnoy

Smash Cadet
kilroy said:
#147 ???
#149 ???
Are these two suggesting characters at all? #149 mentions companions of Kirby, but seems to be suggesting that they be items, or that they come out of containers like the random enemies in SSBM. I don't see anything suggesting new characters in #147.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
The original Earthbound was called Mother in Japan. That is the game from where Ness is from, along with the three other main characters named Paula, Jeff, and Poo. There was originally going to be an Earthbound 2 for the N64 (which is the only reason why they put Ness in SSB), but the project was cancelled.

Instead, they created Mother 2 released in Japan only, which had a completely different story line and completely different characters from Earthbound. Mother 3 also shares no connection with Earthbound. I still have the original Earthbound for the SNES, and I feel only characters from Earthbound should be considered. Ness is from Earthbound, and his teammates from Earthbound should be the only ones that appear in SSBB.

It would be an insult to Earthbound and to Ness to add characters from the Mother series in Japan to SSBB. Not only that, but I feel the storyline from Earthbound was great, and I was so angry when they cancelled the Earthbound 2 project for the N64. Now that Ness is already in the SSB series, only characters in his game should be added. Paula, Jeff, and Poo were created with Ness and they would be perfect additions to the game.
You forget, Marth and Roy are from two completely different games in the same series. They never even met. Just because they started taking from Ness's game doesn't mean they have to keep taking from Earthbound. If they do put in Mother characters, they will most likely put in Mother 3 characters, and keep Ness as the rep from Mother 2.

It wouldn't be an insult. That would be like saying liking Final Fantasy 4 characters over Final Fantasy 6 characters is an insult to the Final Fantasy series.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Whoa Diddys on the list! :D

Well... does that mean that they also might consider him NOT being in the game... O.o;
O NOEZ MANG! O__O

MeLeo

Smash Cadet
nomis said:
And Paula, Jeff, Poo > Flint, Lucas, Claus
Exactly, this is the best defense as to why Paula, Jeff, and Poo should have more priority as SSBB characters than Flint, Lucas, and Claus-- Paula, Jeff, and Poo are simply better characters.
Call this statement completely opinionated-- but that's my opinion :cool:

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
Dragonz said:
Poo should definetly have more priority in being added to the SSBB roster as opposed to those washups claus and lucas from Mother 3.
You wouldn't be calling Claus that if you knew what happened to him in the game. It's quite sad. And as for Lucas, I would save that comment incase he appears as a Ness clone. They can find ways around that if they think enough but I doubt they'll bother.

I just want to say, whoever wrote this has no knowledge of Earthbound as a whole. Mother 1 for the NES came first, was released in the US in prototype form but never got a market for it. Mother 2 for the SNES IS the same exact thing as Earthbound for SNES, it isn't seperate from it in any way. And finally Mother 3, IS connected to Earthbound. It's got a WHOLE FRIGGIN' BUNCH OF REFFERENCES!
Hell the main villian and leader of the Pig Army is (old man version) Pokey for crying out loud!

To the guy who wrote that: :mad: Boy, you deserve an *** kicking for saying such stupid things. It ticks me off when someone says this crap and acting like they're professionals of it. The only pros on knowledge of this franchise are the guys at Starmen.net. (Well I'm sure there's more than them but I'm just listing an example) They can back me up on this info if you don't believe me.

MeLeo

Smash Cadet
Bowser85 said:
You wouldn't be calling Claus that if you knew what happened to him in the game. It's quite sad. And as for Lucas, I would save that comment incase he appears as a Ness clone. They can find ways around that if they think enough but I doubt they'll bother.

I just want to say, whoever wrote this has no knowledge of Earthbound as a whole. Mother 1 for the NES came first, was released in the US in prototype form but never got a market for it. Mother 2 for the SNES IS the same exact thing as Earthbound for SNES, it isn't seperate from it in any way. And finally Mother 3, IS connected to Earthbound. It's got a WHOLE FRIGGIN' BUNCH OF REFFERENCES!
Hell the main villian and leader of the Pig Army is (old man version) Pokey for crying out loud!

To the guy who wrote that: :mad: Boy, you deserve an *** kicking for saying such stupid things. It ticks me off when someone says this crap and acting like they're professionals of it. The only pros on knowledge of this franchise are the guys at Starmen.net. (Well I'm sure there's more than them but I'm just listing an example) They can back me up on this info if you don't believe me.
I know that there was an Earthbound 2 planned for the N64 that was unfortunately cancelled-- was it supposed to be exactly the same as Mother 3 is now?

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
MeLeo said:
I know that there was an Earthbound 2 planned for the N64 that was unfortunately cancelled-- was it supposed to be exactly the same as Mother 3 is now?
Yes. Flint, Lucas, and Claus are all present in the EB64 screenshots.

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
Well yeah, that's true and all but Itoi had to make some changes between the old 64 format and the final GBA format. And I don't just mean character designs either. Originally, 64 had twelve chapters, GBA has 8. Also Flint and Claus played more roles than they do in the final GBA build. But other than that, yeah it's the exact same game.

Jenkins: Spy Monkey

Smash Journeyman
Drunken, loose cannon cowboy swinging a 2x4 > Ninja child named after feces.

Why can't there be characters from Mother 2 and Mother 3? Any one who says Flint is not a great character is just being a dumpus.

PS: I do like Poo by the way, I just LOVE Flint is all.

kilroy

Smash Journeyman
i know NOTHING about earthbound, but for those that do, i have a question.

why do you think jeff is the only other character requested so far from earthbound?

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Kilroy I don't know anything about Earthbound either, but I've heard many people requesting Poo about as much as Jeff is being suggested. I haven't heard too many people requesting Paula either, but I guess that makes sense because she would most likely be a clone of Ness.

Top Bottom