• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Specific Counterpicks/Bans: Kirby

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
*bangs on pots and pans*

We're not gonna get any more contribution from the Jiggs players, btw. I can tell you from modding over there...... they simply don't give a **** about discussing anything remotely serious, lol.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
*bangs on pots and pans*

We're not gonna get any more contribution from the Jiggs players, btw. I can tell you from modding over there...... they simply don't give a **** about discussing anything remotely serious, lol.
It's because they play Jigglypuff...

<_<

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183

ALRIGHT, so King DDD~ I will have to say its almost the same with Ike

Strike: YI/BF, Halberd, Lylat, PS1, Delfino/CS, SV, FD

Reasoning: Flat stages mean CGs! CS and Delfino have walk offs <3, DDD can't abuse water since his only spike is Up B (you better use "Dive" if all else to avoid it) and cause he's slow in water so pick which one you like better. Delfino will give more walk offs but randomly while CS is 1/3 the time a walk off. PS1 and Lylat are both neutral here, however if you don't like the platforms go PS1. Halberd has those early utilt kills against you since his utilt is just as strong as Snake's. YI and BF are just more inclined to DDD giving him platforms to hide under. I like BF more though so I'd strike YT first personally.

Counterpicking DDD: FD and SV, best stages to abuse the CG.

Bans: Brinstar, YI/BF

Omegapaste

Smash Cadet
I would avoid stages with low platforms, seeing DDD's Utilt can get Pika killed at low percents.
On the other hand, platforms give cover for pika when DDD's like to camp in the air and fall down with their Bair or neutral B. DDD's also like to spam alot of his projectiles which can block your jolts.

I would choose a flat stage first like FD or SV. If you get problems with his aerial tricks I would CP him with a low platform stage like lylat or halberd. Halberd also provides sharking options for pika which work well against DDD.
Like Ussi said, Delfino would also work well because of the sharking and water advantages.

Roller

Smash Legend
I think Ussi has said basically all that is needed to be said.

Obviously walkoff stages are sweet, and any area where we have free range to cg/spam projectiles is great. Honestly, I don't think there is further need to discuss this topic, just copy what Ussi said to the OP and move on unless someone has an earth shattering realization that I'm unaware of.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
ESAM has a different strike order, I'd like to hear his reasoning for it. Again I know stages are personal perference as is my list

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I consider castle siege to be better than FD becasue not only is it flat, but it also gives us a chance to walk off. Also, it gives areas to relieve pressure. If D3 is pressuring you on FD...you are kinda screwed and basically have to be obvious with QA's to get away. On Castle Siege, the level itself gives you platforms/tiltings/statues to help alleviate the pressure.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Against D3, Castle Siege ftw. As has been said, he can't roam all around the stage at the speed we can, and we can walk him off with f-throw chaingrabs.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Ummm I hate playing pika on fd, and bf would be where I would most want to go out of the five nuetrals.

Cp? Maybe halberd? Idk what you guys like, but it'll most likely work, this matchup is ****.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
We're going by MLG stages right?

This MU isn't that bad for D3. It's 55:45 Pika at worse.

For strikes, I'd say Lylat, Halberd, Battlefield, and PS1. Castle Siege would probably be the best cp. I'm also thinking Green Greens because of the walls. As for bans, I'd say Brinstar or Norfair.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
IIRC, by MLG rules, DDD can wall infinite you...... don't go to Green Greens. ;;

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
It's a wall! ;; Even if he doesn't infinite (I don't think it actually works on Pika, but he can still get multiple grabs in.... I dunno, a DDD player would know better), he can still dthrow > tech chase to crap out of you with walls there..... playing against TUSM was a nightmare on Green Greens, and you can't really approach well with the blocks there (tjolts don't wrap around).

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
What the? You should know that D3 can't cg Pika! You play a D3 all the time! Those walls being there actually make it impossible for him to tech chase you because you can tech the walls. You're right about him being hard to approach on this stage, but so is Pika.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I know he can't normally CG Pika, but I thought the wall thing worked on everyone..... or at least let him grab multiple times. Oh well, my bad, guess I was just being lazy when we played.

EDIT: Wow, I just looked this up to see where I got it from..... I must be trippin.

Anyways, Pika's hard to approach too, but imo, this stage just takes an already campy MU and makes it 10000x worse. And you can't even use tjolts to your benefit as effectively.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Yeah, D3 can only wall infinite the characters he can chaingrab. All the lighter characters will always slam into the walls allowing a tech.

The walls also help Pika cg D3 from 0-67% and he can end with an fsmash or footstool which can lead to qal/jab lock.

And there's nothing wrong with the MU becoming more campy. As long as Pika still has the advantage it's all good.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Meh, to each his own. I prefer stages that make it easier to approach/bait him.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Doesn't make it better ;x
Stages are always a personal thing..... you can weigh the pros and cons all you want, but besides the few stages that are definitely no/yes, stage choice is largely dependent on one's playstyle and comfort level.

Which is why I said "to each his own" rather than outright disagreeing.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Green greens is a good choice against D3 actually. D3 has horrible air speed. If he has to jump over the blocks to get u hes DONE. Free thunders. If he has to jump to the sides of the stage hes gonna get hit guaranteed.

As for the CG thing, if D3 throws me into the wal,l im teching and nairing in his face.

Jolts on Greens da bes!

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
The key word being IF. ESAM knows about the 9B technique, lol.

But like I said, to each his own. Personally, I think GGs is hyped too much for Pika, but whatever..... chalk it as another one of my "weird" opinions
that usually end up being the general consensus sometime in the future =P

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad stage vs. DDD (although it's not my cup of tea), but I wouldn't say it's CP-worthy.

Also, @ESAM: I don't think any more DDDs are coming to contribute. Lazy birds.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
The key word being IF. ESAM knows about the 9B technique, lol.

But like I said, to each his own. Personally, I think GGs is hyped too much for Pika, but whatever..... chalk it as another one of my "weird" opinions
that usually end up being the general consensus sometime in the future =P

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad stage vs. DDD (although it's not my cup of tea), but I wouldn't say it's CP-worthy.

Also, @ESAM: I don't think any more DDDs are coming to contribute. Lazy birds.
You can keep saying to each his own, but the fact is, when 2 characters fight each other, there will be 1 dominate stage for each character to pick, I don't know if its GG's for Pika, but one stage will be the best for a matchup, its not a playstyle thing, its a character thing, play the character correctly on the stage.

/RANT

No phone calls, only text's and thats if its about luvin me. (smirk)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I disagree. *shrug*
Well you are wrong. FD is amazing for Falco because he can camp. For a falco that doesn't like to camp, FD would still be the best level, he would just do not as good because he won't camp.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Well you are wrong. FD is amazing for Falco because he can camp. For a falco that doesn't like to camp, FD would still be the best level, he would just do not as good because he won't camp.
but besides the few stages that are definitely no/yes,
It's called reading. Falco on FD is a blatantly obvious example.

But I don't think GGs is one of those definite yes/no stages. That's my opinion. You're entitled to yours.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You are also entitled to a wrong opinion.

If X is good at Y, and Z stage lets you use Y more effectively, whether or not you like using Y, it makes it a good stage.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
ESAM's always an ******* and always thinks he's right no matter what. We're all used to it by now..... it's just gotten worse now that he thinks he's hot ****. (No offense, ESAM, but you know it's true.)

@ESAM: Like I said, everybody's entitled to their opinion. I don't really care if you automatically think I'm wrong because you disagree..... being a **** isn't going to make me suddenly change my mind, lol.

I'm not ********. I see your point very clearly. But I have a different view on stage choices, and that's that.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I'm not being a ****, I'm just being blunt and honest. I don't always think I'm right, but you have to prove me wrong. If you have a different view and you don't wanna CP there, you don't have to. However, that doesn't make it a bad stage because it eccentuates a strategy that you don't prefer.

Wait...if you don't wanna camp why do you play zelda/brawl?

Also, getting 4th at MLG doesn't really...matter. I have a more realistic view of the pros, I used to think they were so distant since I lose to Seibrik and Seibrik loses to a lot of them, but it really is a small gap/no gap. I always had strong opinions because based off of MY experience it has proven to be right. That's why I think that IC is even or in our favor, and MK is our hardest match-up, NOT marth. Prove me wrong if you can, but if you can't I will think I'm right.

Roller

Smash Legend
I'm actually gonna have to agree with Vex and ESAM on the stage thing. The fact that you acknowledge that stage matters at all, Kaylo. "the few stages that are definitely no/yes" should lead you to the conclusion that stages all should have a lean towards one or the other. There isn't just some magical quality to a few stages, it is just more pronounced in some than in others. You just need to know how to play correctly on the stage as Vex had said.

As for GGs specifically I could not say I have enough experience there vs D3 to comment, I would be inclined to lean towards pika for reasons stated above. But like I said, that is without proper experience on the mu for that stage.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
First of all, for clarification..... again: I never said GGs is a bad stage vs. DDD, only that I don't feel it's CP-worthy. Never did the words "it's bad against DDD because I don't like it" come from me..... in fact, I even clearly said in one of my earlier posts that I don't necessarily think it's a bad stage vs. him, so @ESAM: I dunno why you're aiming that "that doesn't make it a bad stage" stuff at me. Like I said, learn to read.

The fact that I said it's not my cup of tea should be a moot point. I never let that interfere with my objective view of the stage, so I would really appreciate it if people would stop assuming that it did.

However, since y'all really want to get into it, this is the flaw I see in the reasoning for Pika being "amazing" on GGs vs. DDD:

You're basing all of the stage's benefits off the assumption that Pikachu will have the lead. There are two problems with this, imo, one theory-based and one reality-based.

1) This assumption comes from the fact that Pikachu can safely camp DDD, but personally, I see the beginning of the match being more or less of a stalemate.

Tjolt camp isn't exactly effective..... it doesn't pressure DDD's shield that much (plus his shield is huge), it's ridiculously easy to pshield, and guess what? He also has this little thing called a spotdodge. Tjolt is laggy enough that it's both easy to see coming and won't be coming out often enough to scare DDD into approaching.... it's not like Falco's lasers or Pit's arrows where they can fire off a ton fairly quickly. Tjolt is also very low priority. He can stand there and clank jolts with utilt (or practically any other move + remember that clanking negates endlag) all day if he wants to. His options for avoiding jolts are numerous and easy to do.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem since we could mix jolts in with fake-out approaches, baiting, etc., but on GGs, any smart DDD will plainly see that you have zero safe approach options. GGs limits you to approaching from the air from above if DDD's camping one of the little platforms, and all of our air approaches are unsafe on block. There's no room to retreat aerials for baiting, and to grab DDD or approach from the ground, we have to safely land next to him, which I don't see happening. Because he knows you're limited, Pika's baiting abilities for an approach opening become much less effective, if not totally ineffective.

Now, do you have to approach? No. But neither does DDD..... 9B technique. You'll be shooting jolts, and he'll keep avoiding them with any of his many options.

Granted, this could happen on any stage, but the reason why GGs is less effective as a stage, imo, is because on other stages, Pika's baiting potential is significantly higher since he has more approach options than just coming down from the air. He also has more room to maneuver, retreat aerials, etc..... he can actually somewhat scare/bait DDD into moving while staying safe. You can break the blocks, but a) they come back down pretty quickly, b) I don't see that helping the cause too much because of the limited time you have before the blocks respawn, and c) you could easily leave yourself open while trying to break them.

EDIT #2: Prime brought up that you can go to the ledge and plank him, but then you either have to: commit to breaking the blocks, which could leave you open, or somehow get past DDD to the ledge behind him, which will also leave you open. Then (depending on which ledge you take) you have to deal with blocks spawning around/on top of you, although I'm not sure if that would affect planking since they disappear when they land directly on you.

Also, we talked about apples, which I did think about but didn't comment on. You could drop apples on his head, but they're not that much of a deal-maker imo. At most, they'll force a shield, but I don't see any real benefit to that unless you can get to the ground to grab him.

That's the more theory-/technical-based reason why GGs doesn't work so well in my opinion. The more reality-based one is:

2) In real matches, you don't always have the lead. Especially in a MU like this one where DDD's damage output >> ours and on a stage where we don't have the space to CG him. (Note: I realize we can do wall shenanigans, but that assumes that you're facing the right way when you grab him AND that you can land safely next to him to get the grab, which is highly unlikely if he's camping one of the side platforms. Inb4buffereddthrow: it's not guaranteed.)

In a normal match, if DDD gets the lead, you're kinda screwed, but like I mentioned before: Pika's baiting potential is much higher on other stages. On GGs, if you lose the lead, it's pretty much a done deal (for the reasons I outlined earlier). The risk of falling behind percentage-wise on this stage is MUCH higher than on other stages, so for all wall tricks and whatnot you can pull off, in my opinion, it's not worth it for a CP.

Being on your counterpick means you lost the first match, which means you really need to make **** sure you're on a stage where you're pretty ****ing guaranteed to win. To me, it's not smart to pick a stage where if you get behind off some stupid mistake or controller malfunction or distraction or whatever, it's an easy loss. I'm trying to give real advice for real people playing real matches, not for some fantasy world where Pikas play frame-perfect. The reality is, most Pikas make mistakes; the reality is, yes, Pika will PROBABLY be ahead percentage-wise, but he could very realistically be behind. It's basic risk/reward assessment, and to me, this stage seems too risky as a CP if you fall behind.

If you're playing vs. a DDD who's impatient or aggro or who actually approaches, by all means, pick Green Greens. But the DDDs I've played/seen play (mostly TUSM and Vex) are patient to an extreme and will happily sit there doing nothing more than necessary while you hop around shooting jolts and throwing out bait like it's supposed to do something. As easy as it is for you to camp, it's just as easy for him to avoid/not be bothered by your camp.

The last reason why I think GGs is meh as a CP is because DDD kills a lot earlier on this stage. So does Pika, but Pika's lighter, weaker, and shorter-ranged; DDD is fatter, stronger, and has more range. A bair off-stage, a dtilt at the edge, or a utilt are pretty much death once you're anywhere near killing range, whereas DDD still lives longer and can shieldgrab/grab punish all of our KO options/setups, barring a thunder at the top of the screen (which still requires a setup).

That's my opinion on the stage. I feel like that was a waste of time since y'all will probably tl;dr, but at least now nobody can say I didn't give my full reasoning.

EDIT: As for what I would CP against DDD, I'd just go for a neutral tbqh. Probably SV. Or a stage with walk-offs like CS or Delfino.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
First of all, for clarification..... again: I never said GGs is a bad stage vs. DDD, only that I don't feel it's CP-worthy. Never did the words "it's bad against DDD because I don't like it" come from me..... in fact, I even clearly said in one of my earlier posts that I don't necessarily think it's a bad stage vs. him, so @ESAM: I dunno why you're aiming that "that doesn't make it a bad stage" stuff at me. Like I said, learn to read.

The fact that I said it's not my cup of tea should be a moot point. I never let that interfere with my objective view of the stage, so I would really appreciate it if people would stop assuming that it did.

However, since y'all really want to get into it, this is the flaw I see in the reasoning for Pika being "amazing" on GGs vs. DDD:

You're basing all of the stage's benefits off the assumption that Pikachu will have the lead. There are two problems with this, imo, one theory-based and one reality-based.

1) This assumption comes from the fact that Pikachu can safely camp DDD, but personally, I see the beginning of the match being more or less of a stalemate.

Tjolt camp isn't exactly effective..... it doesn't pressure DDD's shield that much (plus his shield is huge), it's ridiculously easy to pshield, and guess what? He also has this little thing called a spotdodge. Tjolt is laggy enough that it's both easy to see coming and won't be coming out often enough to scare DDD into approaching.... it's not like Falco's lasers or Pit's arrows where they can fire off a ton fairly quickly. Tjolt is also very low priority. He can stand there and clank jolts with utilt (or practically any other move + remember that clanking negates endlag) all day if he wants to. His options for avoiding jolts are numerous and easy to do.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem since we could mix jolts in with fake-out approaches, baiting, etc., but on GGs, any smart DDD will plainly see that you have zero safe approach options. GGs limits you to approaching from the air from above if DDD's camping one of the little platforms, and all of our air approaches are unsafe on block. There's no room to retreat aerials for baiting, and to grab DDD or approach from the ground, we have to safely land next to him, which I don't see happening. Because he knows you're limited, Pika's baiting abilities for an approach opening become much less effective, if not totally ineffective.

Now, do you have to approach? No. But neither does DDD..... 9B technique. You'll be shooting jolts, and he'll keep avoiding them with any of his many options.

Granted, this could happen on any stage, but the reason why GGs is less effective as a stage, imo, is because on other stages, Pika's baiting potential is significantly higher since he has more approach options than just coming down from the air. He also has more room to maneuver, retreat aerials, etc..... he can actually somewhat scare/bait DDD into moving while staying safe. You can break the blocks, but a) they come back down pretty quickly, b) I don't see that helping the cause too much because of the limited time you have before the blocks respawn, and c) you could easily leave yourself open while trying to break them.

EDIT #2: Prime brought up that you can go to the ledge and plank him, but then you either have to: commit to breaking the blocks, which could leave you open, or somehow get past DDD to the ledge behind him, which will also leave you open. Then (depending on which ledge you take) you have to deal with blocks spawning around/on top of you, although I'm not sure if that would affect planking since they disappear when they land directly on you.

Also, we talked about apples, which I did think about but didn't comment on. You could drop apples on his head, but they're not that much of a deal-maker imo. At most, they'll force a shield, but I don't see any real benefit to that unless you can get to the ground to grab him.

That's the more theory-/technical-based reason why GGs doesn't work so well in my opinion. The more reality-based one is:

2) In real matches, you don't always have the lead. Especially in a MU like this one where DDD's damage output >> ours and on a stage where we don't have the space to CG him. (Note: I realize we can do wall shenanigans, but that assumes that you're facing the right way when you grab him AND that you can land safely next to him to get the grab, which is highly unlikely if he's camping one of the side platforms. Inb4buffereddthrow: it's not guaranteed.)

In a normal match, if DDD gets the lead, you're kinda screwed, but like I mentioned before: Pika's baiting potential is much higher on other stages. On GGs, if you lose the lead, it's pretty much a done deal (for the reasons I outlined earlier). The risk of falling behind percentage-wise on this stage is MUCH higher than on other stages, so for all wall tricks and whatnot you can pull off, in my opinion, it's not worth it for a CP.

Being on your counterpick means you lost the first match, which means you really need to make **** sure you're on a stage where you're pretty ****ing guaranteed to win. To me, it's not smart to pick a stage where if you get behind off some stupid mistake or controller malfunction or distraction or whatever, it's an easy loss. I'm trying to give real advice for real people playing real matches, not for some fantasy world where Pikas play frame-perfect. The reality is, most Pikas make mistakes; the reality is, yes, Pika will PROBABLY be ahead percentage-wise, but he could very realistically be behind. It's basic risk/reward assessment, and to me, this stage seems too risky as a CP if you fall behind.

If you're playing vs. a DDD who's impatient or aggro or who actually approaches, by all means, pick Green Greens. But the DDDs I've played/seen play (mostly TUSM and Vex) are patient to an extreme and will happily sit there doing nothing more than necessary while you hop around shooting jolts and throwing out bait like it's supposed to do something. As easy as it is for you to camp, it's just as easy for him to avoid/not be bothered by your camp.

The last reason why I think GGs is meh as a CP is because DDD kills a lot earlier on this stage. So does Pika, but Pika's lighter, weaker, and shorter-ranged; DDD is fatter, stronger, and has more range. A bair off-stage, a dtilt at the edge, or a utilt are pretty much death once you're anywhere near killing range, whereas DDD still lives longer and can shieldgrab/grab punish all of our KO options/setups, barring a thunder at the top of the screen (which still requires a setup).

That's my opinion on the stage. I feel like that was a waste of time since y'all will probably tl;dr, but at least now nobody can say I didn't give my full reasoning.

EDIT: As for what I would CP against DDD, I'd just go for a neutral tbqh. Probably SV. Or a stage with walk-offs like CS or Delfino.
And you didn't post that whole reasoning before, why?

I never said it was a good stage lol. As you can see in my suggestions I say CP to Castle Siege for the most part. You were just arguing weird. That right there is what is really good. The fact that you held that out until now when you are frustrated is amusing and confusing.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I actually did give my reasoning between a few posts (just not nearly as elaborately), but everybody skipped over those parts and went right to assuming things. -_- It's whatever tho.

EDIT: Also, on AIM, you said to me that GGs is "amazing" vs. DDD. ;) I have the IM log to prove it.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
YOU GET THAT METAKNIGHT PICTURE OFF OF YOUR NAME NOW!

GG is too debatable for either side so I'm not using it as a CP or Ban.

Would a Ban on BF or Brinstar be better?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I always ban Brinstar just to be on the safe side, but that's just me.

But NL's right that DDD probably won't CP that, so banning BF sounds fine too if you wanna take that chance.

& unless somebody can teach me how to actually have fun vs. DDD, Mamaknight is here to stay for a while. ;____;

Top Bottom