• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

Paraster

Smash Lord
My vote for a Rivals character would be Orcane, as he's treated as a mascot in many respects and has an interesting "puddle" mechanic (up special has him warp to a puddle; puddles can turn into damaging bubbles). Zetterburn would be my #2--also treated as a mascot, but fire is more common in Smash and his DoT gimmick (even with the "DoT ends when you land a smash attack but said smash attack is strengthened" thing) is less interesting to me.

(Also, Orcane technically originates from a Smash fangame--based on Vaporeon as it appeared in Super Smash Land--and this would be hilarious.)

I have an Orcane doc if anyone is interested in side content. (Moveset isn't that interesting since you could literally just carry over his Rivals moveset, give him grabs, and be done.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I stand by my statement that if we're getting a Rivals rep then Sylvanos would be the best choice. There is no other character in Smash that works like him. Placing grass on the terrain and then using it to your advantage (whether it's consuming it to extend your side B or using your Down B to attack with all the grass on the field) is very unique. If they added someone like Zetterburn then I'd question why they even bothered with a Rivals rep if they're just gonna stick with the most vanilla choice that's already similar to other characters in Smash.

amageish

Smash Master
My vote for a Rivals character would be Orcane, as he's treated as a mascot in many respects and has an interesting "puddle" mechanic (up special has him warp to a puddle; puddles can turn into damaging bubbles). Zetterburn would be my #2--also treated as a mascot, but fire is more common in Smash and his DoT gimmick (even with the "DoT ends when you land a smash attack but said smash attack is strengthened" thing) is less interesting to me.

(Also, Orcane technically originates from a Smash fangame--based on Vaporeon as it appeared in Super Smash Land--and this would be hilarious.)

I have an Orcane doc if anyone is interested in side content. (Moveset isn't that interesting since you could literally just carry over his Rivals moveset, give him grabs, and be done.
That seems pretty likely. He is the one added in... most crossovers? Orcane is in Indie Pogo, Orcane is going to be in Fraymakers, etc. Definitely seems to be their go-to character and basically their mascot.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve never played the game but the characters have pretty fun designs. Forsburn reminds me a lot of Zoroark, at least based on the dating sim picture.

I’m curious how directly the moveset of whoever is chosen would translate to Smash. Being a Smash clone, would the character translate basically one to one?

Noms:

x10 Goomba/Goombella

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I’ve never played the game but the characters have pretty fun designs. Forsburn reminds me a lot of Zoroark, at least based on the dating sim picture.

I’m curious how directly the moveset of whoever is chosen would translate to Smash. Being a Smash clone, would the character translate basically one to one?

Noms:

x10 Goomba/Goombella
Movesets would be one to one probably.

However! Rivals is different from Smash mechanics-wise. Grabs and Shields don't exist in Rivals and are replaced by a parry system. Think of Parries like perfect shielding in Smash 4 execution-wise (but if you miss you can't do anything for a very brief moment; it's kind of like a counter in this way). Mechanic-wise, if you land a parry then your opponent can't do anything for a second or so, allowing you to follow up with a punish. If you parry a projectile, the projectile is reflected.

I could see the Smash devs adding parries (while keeping grabs and shields) as a fighter ability exclusive to a Rivals character.

Ledgegrabbing isn't a thing in Rivals either; every character is given multiple wall jumps, so I could see a Rivals rep in Smash getting wall jumps as well.

Noms go to King Harkinian.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

Noms:

x10 Goomba/Goombella
I mean, the most Smash-alike character would probably be Clairen. She's a swordswoman with a tipper mechanic and her story seems to take loose inspiration from Lucina's plot in particular.

That said, I probably don't need to say why people wouldn't want her as the character lol.

What are some songs you would like to see brought over into Smash if a character gets in?
The good news is, by nature of being a fighting game, we don't really have to deal with the "All of the songs are pretty chill" challenge we have sometimes faced... That said, I'll include a couple spin-off songs too just for fun. Here's some tracks!

Paraster

Smash Lord
I mean, the most Smash-alike character would probably be Clairen. She's a swordswoman with a tipper mechanic and her story seems to take loose inspiration from Lucina's plot in particular.

That said, I probably don't need to say why people wouldn't want her as the character lol.

The good news is, by nature of being a fighting game, we don't really have to deal with the "All of the songs are pretty chill" challenge we have sometimes faced... That said, I'll include a couple spin-off songs too just for fun. Here's some tracks!

Let's not forget Lightning Pandemonium and Decisive Encounter.

What stage would get included, do you think?

Noms: Ryu Hayabusa x15
Either the home stage of whatever character is picked (for instance, Merchant Port if it's Orcane) or the Aethereal Gates as a "neutral ground."

On that topic, I'd love if stage skins are carried over somehow--like if Merchant Port was the stage, holding Y while selecting it would change it to the Swampy Estuary (layout is identical to MP hazardless, but has a different aesthetic; they occupy the same stage slot on RoA stage select).

amageish

Smash Master
Here's the noms list... In lieu of a joke, let's all gasp at how there is a friggin 4-way tie for 7th place right now!

75+ noms
Tsubasa Oribe - x120
Velvet Crowe - x110
Octoling - x100
Brian - x95
Rintarou Okabe - x95
Toad - x95
Alm - x90
Axel Stone - x90
Endo Mamoru - x90
Ryu Hayabusa - x90

Black Mage - x85

50-75 noms
Shovel Knight - x75
Goomba/Goombella - x75
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Ori - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x65
Crypto - x60
Heavy - x60
God Eater Rep - x55

26-50 noms
Bubsy - x50
Vectorman - x45
Carmen Sandiego - x45
2B - x40
Jonesy - x32
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Jason Frudnick - x30
Sly Cooper - x28
Trauma Center Content - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
Dart Monkey (Bloons) - x25
FEH Summoner - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Daitoryo - x20
Ezio - x15
Darkest Dungeon Content - x11

5-10 noms
Gunvolt - x10
King Harkinian - x5
Jack (Final Fantasy Origin) - x5
Scizor - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
SMT Content - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ahri - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3
Lobotomy Corporation/Library of Ruina Content - x2

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, let's move onto Gengar day! It is the final day of this week and Newcomer Speculation has 12 days until meeting its inevitable demise...

ahemtoday ahemtoday would you do the honours of giving us some noms?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, let's move onto Gengar day! It is the final day of this week and Newcomer Speculation has 12 days until meeting its inevitable demise...

ahemtoday ahemtoday would you do the honours of giving us some noms?
I hope we can do Octoling before the final presentation…

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So Gengar.

As far as moveset potential goes, he seems to be the kind of fella who'd already be unique by virtue of being a Ghost-type. Now I know it's probably unlikely to use a Pokemon ability as a Special, but Cursed Body sounds like it could really be a fun move-disabling ability. Maybe it could be a counter where specific counter-frames trigger that effect, but otherwise, they reflect damage back at the opponent.

Noms:
All to Dart Monkey

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
noms go to toad

ah gengar, the shadow pokemon. evolved form of noxious gas and the favourite pokemon of my best friend. he would be interesting one to have, some of the moves hes known for are in game already, shadow ball and shadow sneak. plenty more that arent in use yet. its also worth remembering that hes a fan favourite even by gen 1 standards, i believe he won both a poll for who should get a mega form and who should be in pokken. lots could be done with him

Gengar84

Smash Hero
One idea I had for Gengar was for its down special to be a combination of Hypnosis and Dream Eater. Normally, it is a slow forward wave attack that puts opponents to sleep like Jigglypuff’s Sing. If Gengar uses the move on a sleeping opponent, it becomes Dream Eater, which is essentially Robin’s Nosferatu.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, it's gotta have Shadow Ball. Sure, Mewtwo also uses it, but it still fits. Maybe have it not swerve in this case, or have other properties that Mewtwo's doesn't. It should also deal a bit more damage, but perhaps with more charge time in comparison.

Shadow Claw is another good option for things like normals or throws. It can use various elemental punches/kicks too, but even just normal punches/kicks work fine. When grabbing, Lick is a perfect move to use. >.>

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Gengar should be doing some pretty tricky and unorthodox things, Lick should definitely be involved and maybe something like Hex to capitalise on inflicting ailments like sleep or poison or freeze for example. It should also take full advantage of being a ghost so the crouch could be partially phasing through the platform which would play out as simply shifting the hitbox, this means they're more vulnerable to attacks from beneath however

One idea I had for Gengar was for its down special to be a combination of Hypnosis and Dream Eater. Normally, it is a slow forward wave attack that puts opponents to sleep like Jigglypuff’s Sing. If Gengar uses the move on a sleeping opponent, it becomes Dream Eater, which is essentially Robin’s Nosferatu.
Considering the two move set up, it ought to be relatively strong, but hypnosis should be hard to land. Dream Eater should be a strong heal but it doesn't launch so you can opt to follow up with Hex instead, depending on what you want. The opponent wakes up either way.

Noms:
All in on God Eater

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think the best stage for Gengar is probably either the Pokémon Tower or just Lavender Town in general. I think a remix of Lavender Town’s theme would be great for its intro trailer.

Something similar to this remix by Little V Mills would be cool:

On a side note, I think it might be pointless to nominate any future characters if this forum is closing in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I think the best stage for Gengar is probably either the Pokémon Tower or just Lavender Town in general. I think a remix of Lavender Town’s theme would be great for its intro trailer.

Something similar to this remix by Little V Mills would be cool:

On a side note, I think it might be pointless to nominate any future characters if this forum is closing in a few weeks.
I'd say move the thread over to the gaming section and make sure all noms and stuff are up to date

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
If we had to get another Gen 1 Pokemon, I do think Gengar is one of the best candidates. In addition to everything that people have said in regards to what he could bring to the table, he's simply cool and has a different aesthetic from the majority of the roster. He's a fan favorite and while I do not want another Pokemon for the time being, he'd be one of the choices that I can live with.

amageish

Smash Master
Lavender Town is an iconic area from Pokemon for a tonne of reasons; it would be the perfect stage for a ghoul like Gengar.

Definitely a lot of potential for a ghosty character too...

Here's the current noms list. We'll switch over to Tsubasa soon.

75+ noms
Tsubasa Oribe - x130
Toad - x110
Velvet Crowe - x110
Octoling - x105
Brian - x95
Rintarou Okabe - x95
Alm - x95

Axel Stone - x90
Endo Mamoru - x90
Ryu Hayabusa - x90
Black Mage - x85
Heavy - x80

50-75 noms
Shovel Knight - x75
Goomba/Goombella - x75
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Ori - x70
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x65
Crypto - x60
God Eater Rep - x60

26-50 noms
Bubsy - x50
Vectorman - x45
Carmen Sandiego - x45
2B - x40
Jonesy - x32
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Jason Frudnick - x30
Dart Monkey (Bloons) - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
FEH Summoner - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Daitoryo - x20
Ezio - x15

5-10 noms
Gunvolt - x10
King Harkinian - x5
Scizor - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ahri - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3

As for whether to keep taking noms... The future of this thread is an interesting and important question. I think we just need to decide if we want to keep going as a fun hypothetical thread or if this is approaching the time things die....

We could also consider rebranding into a general "What If X Was In a Platform Fighter" thread and not limit it to characters who would theoretically be eligable for Smash Bros, if people would be interested in that? Really, it all depends on what people what to do and if there's interest in keeping the thread active at all, as it's been easy for us to go quiet for several days lately...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Lavender Town is an iconic area from Pokemon for a tonne of reasons; it would be the perfect stage for a ghoul like Gengar.

Definitely a lot of potential for a ghosty character too...

Here's the current noms list. We'll switch over to Tsubasa soon.

75+ noms
Tsubasa Oribe - x130
Toad - x110
Velvet Crowe - x110
Octoling - x105
Brian - x95
Rintarou Okabe - x95
Alm - x95

Axel Stone - x90
Endo Mamoru - x90
Ryu Hayabusa - x90
Black Mage - x85
Heavy - x80

50-75 noms
Shovel Knight - x75
Goomba/Goombella - x75
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Ori - x70
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x65
Crypto - x60
God Eater Rep - x60

26-50 noms
Bubsy - x50
Vectorman - x45
Carmen Sandiego - x45
2B - x40
Jonesy - x32
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Jason Frudnick - x30
Dart Monkey (Bloons) - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
FEH Summoner - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Daitoryo - x20
Ezio - x15

5-10 noms
Gunvolt - x10
King Harkinian - x5
Scizor - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ahri - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3

As for whether to keep taking noms... The future of this thread is an interesting and important question. I think we just need to decide if we want to keep going as a fun hypothetical thread or if this is approaching the time things die....

We could also consider rebranding into a general "What If X Was In a Platform Fighter" thread and not limit it to characters who would theoretically be eligable for Smash Bros, if people would be interested in that? Really, it all depends on what people what to do and if there's interest in keeping the thread active at all, as it's been easy for us to go quiet for several days lately...
Can we maybe do two things at a time? Just to speed things along

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ah yes, the lone Spirit from her game and piece of content period, not even Itsuki’s a Spirit

I mean if we did get her as playable over Itsuki AND as the last Spirit Promotion that would be both hilarious and awesome. We need more spear users

also the music slaps

what music would she come with? 🤔

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Can we maybe do two things at a time? Just to speed things along
I think it's best we stick to one, but let's make sure we change every 24 hours...

Ah yes, the lone Spirit from her game and piece of content period, not even Itsuki’s a Spirit

I mean if we did get her as playable over Itsuki AND as the last Spirit Promotion that would be both hilarious and awesome. We need more spear users

also the music slaps

what music would she come with? 🤔
Yeah, it is funny TMS has the same number of spirits as most obscure one-off series despite just being a Wii U game that is now on Switch...

As for music, yeah, uh, there's an absurd amount of options given all the vocal tracks and all the normal battle/dungeon/overworld themes a JRPG is wont to have... There's also both instrumental and vocal versions of the vocal songs, but I am going to operate under the logic of "If Fire Emblem Heroes can get the vocal versions, then Smash Bros can too."

I'm also going to pitch her Final Smash as being one of her duo arts from the game... Based on the FEH subreddit, it seems like "Dream Catcher" is super popular?

Now I don't exactly know how to translate Tokyo Mirage Sessions into Smash Bros as a character, but the game has a lot of style, so I could only imagine them having maybe even a few similarities to Joker right now.
Yeah, uh, I guess TMS in premise should be Joker if Arsene is always out... I otherwise imagine Tsubasa would function somewhat similar to the pitches people tend to give FE pegasus knights for Smash movesets, with specials that summon the pegasus for high mobility.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think it's best we stick to one, but let's make sure we change every 24 hours...

Yeah, it is funny TMS has the same number of spirits as most obscure one-off series despite just being a Wii U game that is now on Switch...

As for music, yeah, uh, there's an absurd amount of options given all the vocal tracks and all the normal battle/dungeon/overworld themes a JRPG is wont to have... There's also both instrumental and vocal versions of the vocal songs, but I am going to operate under the logic of "If Fire Emblem Heroes can get the vocal versions, then Smash Bros can too."

I'm also going to pitch her Final Smash as being one of her duo arts from the game... Based on the FEH subreddit, it seems like "Dream Catcher" is super popular?

Yeah, uh, I guess TMS in premise should be Joker if Arsene is always out... I otherwise imagine Tsubasa would function somewhat similar to the pitches people tend to give FE pegasus knights for Smash movesets, with specials that summon the pegasus for high mobility.
Even Xenoblade X has more spirits than TMS - Elma, Lin, Lao, Tatsu, the Formula Skell

but also no music :drsad:

Top Bottom