• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Oh, yay, Hat Kid day! I love Hat Kid's design and the game's OST is just so great.

That said, my love of Hat Kid is apparently not mutual, as the game (at least on PS4) makes me incredibly motion sick to play. I don't know why; motion sickness from games is usually just something I deal with from first-person games, but something about A Hat in Time just knocks me out within minutes of playing.

Ergo, I have two questions to ask:
1) What area from the game do you think is famous enough to get a stage?
2) Would Bow Kid be an alt? I don't know much about her beyond her design and that she was revealed with art by the Curiomatic team, but I think she's a Luigi-esque character?
Chapter 2 (taking place in Dead Bird Studio) seems to be the fan favorite chapter, I think - though I think that's more down to the characters than the location. Still, a stage split down the middle between a western movie and some flashy musical would make for a pretty cool stage.

Bow Kid is the character Player 2 plays as. I could go either way on her, though - she's almost comically not-prominent, as her only appearance in the story is getting her picture stapled onto the corner of the loading screens. (Also, if you thought the camera was nauseating normally, it gets bad when it's trying to squeeze two players onto the same screen.)

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Y'know, this... might be a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I'm not sure I'd really want the different hats of the game to really have a place in the moveset.

I don't know - I didn't find myself using them a whole lot, so despite the game being named after them, I find it somewhat difficult to call them a core thing we would have to represent.

If we had some kinda hat-swapping gimmick... I mean, besides y'all knowing how I feel about those, I feel like it'd just be affecting one move of hers - which kinda doesn't really have a point. It's like Dante's styles and how they're not at all represented in MvC. There's no point in a stance that changes one move.

And if we just gave her the moves, I fear that would lead to a somewhat aesthetically-incohesive moveset.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Dead Bird Studios could make for a very cool stage. I feel like Mafia Town would probably end up being Hat Kid's stage for being the first area you visit and thus most recognizable. Although would Nintendo take issue with having the word "Mafia" in Smash?

When it comes to hat Kid's different hats, well, I forget alot of the hats she had tbh as its been a while since I played A hat in Time. I could see her different hats just kind of showing up throughout her moveset instead of having a hat-switching gimmick though. Like, one hat I do remember is that scooter one and I could see that being a special move similar to Wario's bike, or maybe they could even have it be a dash attack.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What about the stage? There’s a lot of choices

Paraster

Smash Lord
A while back I came up with some ideas for Hat Kid's moves. Not a full moveset, but I think my ideas are decent.
Spoiler: Moveset Ideas Neutral attack - Hat Kid swings her umbrella, using the 3-swing combo she used in her game.
Dash attack - Hat Kid dives forward.
Grab - Hat Kid launches a tether with her Hookshot Badge.
Pummel - Hat Kid bonks her opponent on the head with her umbrella multiple times.
Neutral special - Brewing Hat: Hat Kid's hat is replaced with the Brewing Hat as she shakes an explosive potion, charging it up. It behaves like a charge shot, except the projectile is a gravity-affected explosive.
Side special - Scooter Badge: Hat Kid summons her scooter as her hat is replaced with the Sprint Hat. It behaves like the Wario Bike except faster, less damaging, and not being destructible.
Up special - Dweller Mask: Instead of a traditional recovery move, Hat Kid uses the Dweller Mask to make a spectral platform appear below her. The platform disappears after a few seconds, and the move cannot be used for some time (marked by a cooldown meter by Hat Kid's character portrait).
Down special - Ice Hat: Hat Kid turns into an ice sculpture and falls downward quickly. It does less damage/knockback than Kirby's Stone, but has an area of effect when it lands.
Final Smash - Hyper Zone: Hat Kid throws a Time Piece down and in front of her. When it collides with a surface or opponent, it bursts into a void that transports all opponents that get caught in it to the Hyper Zone (the rainbow arena from the finale). Victims are bombarded by Time Pieces from above before Hat Kid shoots a large laser from her umbrella at them.
My pick for a stage would be Dead Bird Studio. A movie studio stage? With both disco and western decorations? And the potential to give Xander Mobus yet another voice role in this game? Sounds great!
What would hat Kid's Spirit Board be like?
You'd probably need a few more for a full board (only character I can think of to add is Mafia Boss, maybe Bow Kid if she isn't an alt skin), but here's what I have. (Note that stages may be substituted out based on what the HiT stage ends up being.)
  • The Conductor
    • Advanced
    • Support: Fog Immunity
    • Orange Falco on Spirit Train
    • The enemy starts with a Killing Edge, Bob-ombs will rain from the sky
  • DJ Grooves
    • Advanced
    • Support: Bomber Equipped
    • Pink King Dedede on New Pork City
    • Item: Party Balls, Hostile assist trophies (Yuri Kozukata) will appear, The enemy likes to taunt
  • The Snatcher
    • Ace
    • Primary: Initial Damage 30%
    • Giant purple Kirby on Dracula’s Castle (Ω form)
    • The enemy will occasionally be invincible, The enemy has super armor and is hard to launch or make flinch, Certain items (Spiny Shells) will appear in large numbers
  • Queen Vanessa
    • Novice
    • Support: Impact Run
    • Green Peach on Luigi’s Mansion
    • The enemy is invincible, The enemy favors grabs and pummels, Stamina Battle (you have 1.0 HP), Survive until the timer runs out (45 seconds)
  • Mustache Girl
    • Legend
    • Support: Time Stop (start the battle with the Timer effect)
    • Red Isabelle (or Hat Kid?) on Norfair
    • Item: Timers and Daybreak, The enemy is easily distracted by items, The enemy has increased move speed when the enemy’s at high damage

Also, I mentioned Bow Kid--would she get to be an alternate skin for Hat Kid?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
A while back I came up with some ideas for Hat Kid's moves. Not a full moveset, but I think my ideas are decent.

My pick for a stage would be Dead Bird Studio. A movie studio stage? With both disco and western decorations? And the potential to give Xander Mobus yet another voice role in this game? Sounds great!

You'd probably need a few more for a full board (only character I can think of to add is Mafia Boss, maybe Bow Kid if she isn't an alt skin), but here's what I have. (Note that stages may be substituted out based on what the HiT stage ends up being.)
  • The Conductor
    • Advanced
  • DJ Grooves
    • Advanced
    • Item: Party Balls, Hostile assist trophies (Yuri Kozukata) will appear, The enemy likes to taunt
  • The Snatcher
    • Ace
    • The enemy will occasionally be invincible, The enemy has super armor and is hard to launch or make flinch, Certain items (Spiny Shells) will appear in large numbers
  • Queen Vanessa
    • Novice
    • The enemy is invincible, The enemy favors grabs and pummels, Stamina Battle (you have 1.0 HP), Survive until the timer runs out (45 seconds)
  • Mustache Girl
    • Legend
    • Item: Timers and Daybreak, The enemy is easily distracted by items, The enemy has increased move speed when the enemy’s at high damage

Personally, I think Bow Kid would either be an alt or a Daisy-esque Echo (as in, the differences are INCREDIBLY minor). Whichever the devs prefer.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Neutral attack - Hat Kid swings her umbrella, using the 3-swing combo she used in her game.
Dash attack - Hat Kid dives forward.
Grab - Hat Kid launches a tether with her Hookshot Badge.
Pummel - Hat Kid bonks her opponent on the head with her umbrella multiple times.
Neutral special - Brewing Hat: Hat Kid's hat is replaced with the Brewing Hat as she shakes an explosive potion, charging it up. It behaves like a charge shot, except the projectile is a gravity-affected explosive.
Side special - Scooter Badge: Hat Kid summons her scooter as her hat is replaced with the Sprint Hat. It behaves like the Wario Bike except faster, less damaging, and not being destructible.
Up special - Dweller Mask: Instead of a traditional recovery move, Hat Kid uses the Dweller Mask to make a spectral platform appear below her. The platform disappears after a few seconds, and the move cannot be used for some time (marked by a cooldown meter by Hat Kid's character portrait).
Down special - Ice Hat: Hat Kid turns into an ice sculpture and falls downward quickly. It does less damage/knockback than Kirby's Stone, but has an area of effect when it lands.
Final Smash - Hyper Zone: Hat Kid throws a Time Piece down and in front of her. When it collides with a surface or opponent, it bursts into a void that transports all opponents that get caught in it to the Hyper Zone (the rainbow arena from the finale). Victims are bombarded by Time Pieces from above before Hat Kid shoots a large laser from her umbrella at them.
I... think it's somewhat comical how much I disagree with this moveset. Not that it's bad, but the little I have of a moveset contradicts this almost completely.
  • The neutral attack is the only thing I actually agree with.
  • I think the dive is such a big part of movement in this game that I think making it a standard dash attack is a wasted opportunity. I had it as a side special.
  • Same goes for the Hookshot Badge, which I put on up special.
  • The hat specials are fine, and it's fun having all four specials be hats, but... I don't know, the hat abilities have always felt kind of ancillary to me. I only really used them when required outside of the final Death Wishes.
  • Finally... I dunno, it seems weird to me for Hat Kid's final smash to be breaking a time piece when, like, the entire plot of the game is that she doesn't want people to break the time pieces for... kind of unspecified reasons.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I only know a little bit about A Hat in Time from watching one episode of Shadypenguinn’s streams on YouTube. The game looks fun and very charming but I’m having difficulty coming up with a question that hasn’t already been asked.

For now, I’ll just go with a general question: What could be a good boss or assist trophy if Hat Kid gets in?

Noms:
x5 Fulgore
x5 Velvet Crowe

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I only know a little bit about A Hat in Time from watching one episode of Shadypenguinn’s streams on YouTube. The game looks fun and very charming but I’m having difficulty coming up with a question that hasn’t already been asked.

For now, I’ll just go with a general question: What could be a good boss or assist trophy if Hat Kid gets in?

Noms:
x5 Fulgore
x5 Velvet Crowe
I think it's the same answer for both: I think Snatcher is the best pick. He's proven pretty popular and has an entire boss fight to pull from.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think it's the same answer for both: I think Snatcher is the best pick. He's proven pretty popular and has an entire boss fight to pull from.
yeah i think everyone would agree with that

i suppose you could have vanessa as an at freezing anyone she catches or mayabe she could be a stage element on a creepy version of gamer

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I know some people aren't familiar with all the hats, so here's a quick rundown:
  • Kid's Hat - Default. No special power that would work in Smash really well, but it shows you where you're supposed to go to progress
  • Sprint Hat - Well... You sprint. Combining it with the Scooter Badge turns it into a scooter, which makes it go even faster
  • Brewing Hat - Hat Kid yeets an explosive potion
  • Ice Hat - Turns you into an ice sculpture on command. Functionally the same as Kirby's Stone ability.
  • Dweller's Mask - Technically not a hat but it's counted as one anyways. It materializes platforms that you can't stand on otherwise
  • Time Stop Hat - toki wo tomare

• The Conductor
      • Advanced
    • DJ Grooves
      • Advanced
    • The Snatcher
      • Ace
    • Queen Vanessa
      • Novice
    • Mustache Girl
      • Legend
    [*]

Yeah, I thought about making the Dweller's Mask an up special too. It sounds like it could be a pretty unique recovery. Then again, the Hookshot fits the recovery thing too. I suppose we could make the a Ice Hat a down air, but I feel like it fits as a special better.

Regarding Bow Kid, it seems like she'd make for an easy alt. She's basically cosmetic anyways, with no real story presence or alternate abilities that would make her unique enough for her own slot, even as an Echo.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I think I was actually leaning toward the idea of the hats not being in the moveset at all and instead just being Hat Kid's alts, with her outfit changing in color scheme to match the hat.

The remaining two would probably be the parade outfit and the detective outfit.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
What about Hat Kid's classic mode? I imagine it being her going up against people with time-related powers, or have been involved in grand time-travel adventures (Like Shulk, Bayonetta, Sonic, etc); or maybe about going up against characters that look plucked right out of the mafia (Wario would totally fit, for example)?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It’s a meme from the anime JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure
Of course it is

What about Hat Kid's classic mode? I imagine it being her going up against people with time-related powers, or have been involved in grand time-travel adventures (Like Shulk, Bayonetta, Sonic, etc); or maybe about going up against characters that look plucked right out of the mafia (Wario would totally fit, for example)?
Characters with famous hats, Mario link etc

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I'm most fond of fogbadge's hat idea, but you could also have her face characters who appeared in platform games.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Hat Kid's stage would be centered around her spaceship, most likely inside. But, rotating different stages should be on the table.

I think relegating each hat to each move is better than strictly following wheel command which is her source material.
Just giving entirely new moveset for each hat seems like waste to me.

Should her dash attack have homing ability like in her original game?

Master Chief x everything I have up to this point.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
What could Hat Kid's Palutena Guidence look like?

15 to Vectorman
It's difficult to say specifically. But one particular thing I'd want to see is them never specifically calling her "Hat Kid", in keeping with the general way no character in the game really calls her by a specific name.

(I would like to see them attempt to call her by her canonical name, >Ļᒣ-!♭ᒣ<⊣, though. That'd be funny.)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
It's difficult to say specifically. But one particular thing I'd want to see is them never specifically calling her "Hat Kid", in keeping with the general way no character in the game really calls her by a specific name.

(I would like to see them attempt to call her by her canonical name, >Ļᒣ-!♭ᒣ<⊣, though. That'd be funny.)
Pit: Lady Palutena, who's the little girl in the hat?

Palutena: You're facing a space-faring adventurer, Pit. Her name is >Ļᒣ-!♭ᒣ<⊣.

Pit: Uh...gesundheit?

amageish

Smash Master
You know, I have some hats of my own... When I put on this hat, it grants me the power of BASIC ARITHMETIC. Lemme show it off.

(I'm going Madeline x10 and Aloy x15 for my noms)

75+ noms
Laharl - x95
Fulgore - x95
Sakura Shinguji - x90
Madeleine - x90
Geolyte (Meteos) - x85
Saber - x85
Velvet Crowe - x80

Octoling - x79

50-75 noms
Black Mage - x75
Axel Stone - x75
Shovel Knight - x75
Aloy - x70
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Master Chief - x65
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Heavy - x60
Chibi-Robo - x55
Ichiban - x55
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x55

26-50 noms
Rintarou Okabe - x50
Bubsy - x50
Estelle Bright - x50
Rivals of Aether rep - x50
Endo Mamoru - x45
Ryu Hayabusa - x40
Klonoa - x40
2B - x40
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Sly Cooper - x28
Trauma Center Content - x27

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
Ori - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Brian - x15
Vectorman - x15

5-10 noms
Crypto - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Gunvolt - x10
Darkest Dungeon Content - x10
Doomguy - x10
Alm - x10
SMT Content - x5
Frogger - x5
Jonesy - x5
Ezio - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3

The noms list has gotten so large that I've added a new division, at least for the time being. Spend your final noms of the week wisely, everyone. We got Ryza's and Gordon's days left, so plenty of time for things to continue moving around.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You know, I have some hats of my own... When I put on this hat, it grants me the power of BASIC ARITHMETIC. Lemme show it off.

(I'm going Madeline x10 and Aloy x15 for my noms)

75+ noms
Laharl - x95
Fulgore - x95
Sakura Shinguji - x90
Madeleine - x90
Geolyte (Meteos) - x85
Saber - x85
Velvet Crowe - x80

Octoling - x79

50-75 noms
Black Mage - x75
Axel Stone - x75
Shovel Knight - x75
Aloy - x70
Filia (Skullgirls) - x70
Master Chief - x65
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Heavy - x60
Chibi-Robo - x55
Ichiban - x55
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x55

26-50 noms
Rintarou Okabe - x50
Bubsy - x50
Estelle Bright - x50
Rivals of Aether rep - x50
Endo Mamoru - x45
Ryu Hayabusa - x40
Klonoa - x40
2B - x40
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Sly Cooper - x28
Trauma Center Content - x27

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
Ori - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Brian - x15
Vectorman - x15

5-10 noms
Crypto - x10
Daitoryo - x10
Gunvolt - x10
Darkest Dungeon Content - x10
Doomguy - x10
Alm - x10
SMT Content - x5
Frogger - x5
Jonesy - x5
Ezio - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Chell - x3

The noms list has gotten so large that I've added a new division, at least for the time being. Spend your final noms of the week wisely, everyone. We got Ryza's and Gordon's days left, so plenty of time for things to continue moving around.
needs more toad

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I did an article on Hat Kid about a year ago which you can read here:

I think having Hat Kid with different hat attacks is the best way to represent her. Also she has an insane amount of costume potential.

It's hard to choose which stage she'd have since there are so many great options. I went with her Spaceship that travels to different locations, but if I had to choose just one actual level I'd probably go with Mafia Town.

For my noms I'll put whatever the max amount is towards Carl Johnson.

Paraster

Smash Lord
What could Hat Kid's Palutena Guidence look like?

15 to Vectorman
I once made an entire script/mockup for a Palutena's Guidance where Palutena and Pit are interrupted by a certain character (much like Chrom in Robin's or Alcard in Richter's).

Not sure how good it is in hindsight, but I'll let you guys be the judge of that.
Hat Kid 1.png

Hat Kid 2.png

Hat Kid 3.png

Hat Kid 4.png

Hat Kid 5.png

Hat Kid 6.png

Hat Kid 7.png

Hat Kid 8.png

Hat Kid 9.png

Hat Kid 10.png

Hat Kid 11.png

Hat Kid 12.png

Hat Kid 13.png

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

I mean Steve wasn't really an official name for the Minecraft protagonist for a very long time but look at where we are now

Top Bottom