• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Exploration Thread - Day 79: Axel Stone (Streets of Rage)

D

Deleted member

I'm not really sure what that... means, is the problem. It sounds like you use forward air after neutral air and you get a different move with a different rhythm. But I'm not sure how that really solves it. Sure, you cancel at the end of an attack in a rhythm and you connect the two, I get it. That's a good solution - but I don't get the changing cues bit. Cues in Rhythm Heaven don't change based on what came before them. The Karate Man pot gets thrown and gets hit one beat later, and that doesn't change if it happens right after you kick a bomb. It just sounds way more complicated than it needs to me without really being based on much, if I'm understanding you right. Which... I'm probably not.
Yeah I didn't do a good job of explaining it. I was thinking of a mix between Bayonetta's preset combo routes with ABK and Witch Twist & Marth's Dancing Blade directionals. So in your example, forward air -> forward gives a pot whereas forward air -> down gives a bomb.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Yeah I didn't do a good job of explaining it. I was thinking of a mix between Bayonetta's preset combo routes with ABK and Witch Twist & Marth's Dancing Blade directionals. So in your example, forward air -> forward gives a pot whereas forward air -> down gives a bomb.
I mean, I understand what you're going for with this, but I still don't quite how this is supposed to work. Like, forward air corresponds to something getting thrown in Karate Man, but what does it do other than set up for other moves? What even gets thrown when you put in the first forward, if forward is a pot and down is a bomb; does one magically transform into the other?

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Completely forgot about this thread for a bit. Anyways, why do people want the Chorus Kids? At first, they were my top choice for a RH rep, but now that I think about it, the Chorus Kids are very insignificant.

Isaac (TBoI) xAll

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Fun fact, I'm the one who submit the Barista for the Smash Sequel Project. As for gimmick I posted one myself there, I'm not really good at describing moves without a visual representation. Ok, enough with the sad feeling here's a gimmick for Barista.
Despite me being the submitter of the Barista I kinda feel like I already satisfied with everyone take on his moveset but I'm still iffy with the gimmick so I submit one myself

I envisioned Barista to be the lightest character in the roster despite being similar to Duck Hunt, to cover this up most of his move has him reference the various minigame in the series by calling upon a specific character and object besides him into the battlefield. Of course to keep this aesthetic all the summoned character will be all 2D while Barista and the summoned object will be 3D just like the rest of the fighter.

Barista will have a gimmick and as you all know involved timing your attack to the beat of the music, considering he is a base game character I want the gimmick to be simple and effective, rather than treating this as something like a Mario RPG game and to avoid predictability my gimmick can be used anytime you want as long as you time it right with the tempo without doing a string of combo forcing your opponent to read the rhythm to anticipate your attack, this in turn will trigger a sweet spot on all of Barista's attack, when you landed this sweet spot it play a special sound effect/jingle but if you can't or just don't bother syncing to beat at all your damage is still pretty average. On the top left of the Barista's character UI appear a P icon that will bounce around bopping to the current music which help timing your attack where it would shine if you do it successfully
All nomination goes for Agumon

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Completely forgot about this thread for a bit. Anyways, why do people want the Chorus Kids? At first, they were my top choice for a RH rep, but now that I think about it, the Chorus Kids are very insignificant.
I think it's three main things:

1) They're cute and memorable, even if they're less reocurring then Karate Joe or Rhythm Girl are.

2) They would be a fun gimmick as we haven't had a trio like that before.

3) Even when we try to deny it, Smash Bros speculation will always at least partly be governed by what the community thinks is more likely. If the community expects something/someone, they will generally just tend to have more fans - nothing wrong with it; it just happened. As there is evidence Chrous Kids were considered/scrapped before (being leaked through the Gematsu leak which is believable as being an early project plan from before everyone/everything was settled down + Rhythm Heaven files being left over in the game + Rhythm Heaven randomly having content in Smash Run in spite of no playable character or stage), people are more likely to gravitate to the idea that they would be brought back then Rhythm Heaven comes back with a new different representative.

So, for RH content, are we thinking they'd 3D-ify the character, or does G&W get another 2D animation friend?

NinJeds

Smash Rookie

Anyway, I don’t have much to say on a RH rep other then it’s probably my most wanted 1st Party and I wish it made the boat for Sm4sh. Whoever the character is, they would definitely offer a very interesting concept and gimmick.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
So, for RH content, are we thinking they'd 3D-ify the character, or does G&W get another 2D animation friend?
The thing is we all know that the artstyle of Rhythm Heaven is similar to WarioWare, and I know that Wario have exist in a 3D environment before we kinda have to look at the Ashley assist trophy which is in 3D but, the thing that puzzled me is that their trophy and Smash Run enemy just uses their artwork/sprite similar to Paper Mario but I feel like if we get another 2D fighter it would have to be someone who take that advantage pretty well not just cosmetic reasons like Paper Mario. Considering how simple the possible pick for RH I don't think Sakurai would mind making a new 3D model

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I made a move set for the Barista for the Smash Infinite thread. While I personally want Rhythm Girl, This Moveset is a good representation of what I could see or want in a Rhythm Heaven Character.

--Gimmick--
The Barista is a 2D character like Game&Watch

The Barista has a lot of Summons, they all appear behind them and are also 2D

The Barista will bounce up and down, hitting any attacks in time with the beat will increase their power, There is a speaker next to Barista's face that also bounces in time with the attacks.

Due to the complexity of changing the Barista's rhythm to match the current song, Whenever Barista is on screen a drum track is playing 70 beats per minute and that is the BPM that the Barista follows. The Drum Track can be toggled if need be.

--Stats--

Speed: Same as Duck Hunt

Weight: Same as Duck Hunt

Fall speed: Same as Diddy Kong

Air Speed: Same as Little Mac

Initial Dash: Same as Pikachu

Run Speed: Same as Duck Hunt

--Basic Attacks--

Jab: Muscle Doll appears and punches once and after that you hear an announcer say the word "Jab" timing your a-press properly Muscle Doll will punch forwards, This can go as long as you want as long as you're not damaged

Side tilt: The Wandering Samurai appears and slices forwards

Up tilt: A Cheer Reader is summoned and spins her sign above her head, the image on the sign is randomly generated

Down tilt: The Sneaky Spirit arises from the ground in front of the Barista

Dash Attack: A Sumo Brother pushes their arms forwards

Get Up: A seal from flipper flop spins around the Barista

Ledge Get Up: A Tiny fork from Sick Beats, attacks the ground

Side Smash: The Reporter Stands behind the Barista in the back of him and the Wrestler in the front, The reporter does her "Whoa you go big guy" cue from the game, Releasing the Side Smash with the proper timing the Wrestler's Arm flexes hitting the opponent and knocking them slightly upwards

Up Smash: One of the Clappy Trio appears and claps their hands above their head

Down Smash: 2 Blue Birds appear in front of and behind the barista and once the button is released they dig their beaks into the ground, grounding any opponents hit by the beak and then they're launched once the birds flip their beaks up.

Neutral air: The barista transforms into a character from lockstep and performs the pose seen in that minigame dealing damage, pressing the a button in time while in air will deal more damage on each hit

Forward Air: A Golfer from Hole In One hits downwards

Back Air: The Dog or Cat will appear behind Barista and swing their racket downwards

Up Air: A Monkey Rides the Barista and Hits upwards like in Monkey Watch

Down Air: one of the See Saw characters stomps down on the ground, this is a stall and fall

--Specials--

Neutral: Karate Man, Karate Joe (Or Karate Joe Senior) Appear if you press the button once you hit a flower pot projectile forwards, pressing the button 3 times will hit 3 projectiles in a row and holding the button will cause KJ to hit a volley of projectiles ending with a barrel that does a lot of damage and Knockback but has little range. Performing these attacks not in time with Barista's bounces will be worse. To assist with Barista's bounces there are visual and audio cues they are "1,2" "Hit 3" and "Combo"

Side: Glee Club, Holding the button causes up to 3 Chrous kids to appear in a line, letting go has them sing dealing damage.

Down: Tap Trial, The Barista recedes into the background and the Tap Trial Girl appears in the front, Tapping the B button gain once has the girl tap her left foot on the ground, dealing damage, Tapping it twice she taps her foot twice on the right side, Tapping the button 3 times has her tap her feet 3 times dealing damage on both sides, Holding the B-button has her charge up a jump and jumps in the year, dealing damage on liftoff and landing. Performing these attacks not in time with Barista's bounces will be worse. To assist with Barista's bounces there are visual and audio cues Their will be a monkey sound that is either "1" "2" "3" "Hold"

Up: Launch Party, The Barista hold onto a rocket from launch party, each rocket has timer and letting go at the right time will launch the rocket there are 4 rockets
-Red, counts down from 3 every beat
-Blue, Counts down from 5 very quickly
-Green, Counts down from 7 at a fast pace
-Grey, Counts fown from 1 at a very slow pace but launches the farthest

Final Smash: Beat The Beat, The Barista drinks coffee and dashes forwards, it knocks them into a cutscene where the opponents are caught in a rainbow and pressing the B button in time with Barista's bounces will cause more and more rhythm heaven character from all across the series to appear dealing more and more damage. ending with a rainbow explosion.

--Grabs--

Basic grab: 2 Arms from Packing Pests grabs the opponent

Pummel: Marshal jumps on the opponents head

F-throw: The DJ Student from DJ school will Scratch the opponent forwards

B-throw: The arms transform into Munchy Monk and the opponent is hit backwards

U-throw: A dough Dude launches the opponent upwards

D-throw: The fork from Fork lifter will stab the opponent into the ground

--Misc--
The Screen KO animation is the Barista's Stamp

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Poor Rhythm Heaven. I don’t think I’ve seen the thread this inactive yet. I’d love to ask more questions but I know so little about the series that it’s hard to even come up with something to ask. The games look pretty interesting though and it seems like it could have a fun stage. I see that someone already posted a suggestion for a stage but what other ideas would be fun? Would something like the Wario Ware stage work with different rhythm based mini games built in as the stage transitions between them?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Quick note, this day will go on until tomorrow to get the schedule back in order. Eggman's kinda sent things off track, and I'd like to fix that.

Anyways, to spark some discussion:
To all you Rhythm Heaven fans out there, what's a crazy fact about the series - Both the in-universe events and production trivia - That you find fun to explain to non-fans?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Quick note, this day will go on until tomorrow to get the schedule back in order. Eggman's kinda sent things off track, and I'd like to fix that.

To all you Rhythm Heaven fans out there, what's a crazy fact about the series - Both the in-universe events and production trivia - That you find fun to explain to non-fans?
I have a few facts to post, if you don't mind.

1. Karate Joe actually isn't into the whole karate thing, and he actually wants to be a soccer player. But his Father wants him to master karate instead, to the point that he told him that he can't leave his house until he masters it.

2. The various versions of Rhythm Girl that show up throughout the series' run are apparently the same girl, according Nintendo Badge Arcade. In addition, Tap Trial has a bit more story behind it. Specifically, the girl wanted to enter the secret tap-dance parties of the animal kingdom, and went to great lengths to find shoes with the right shade of red. The red dress she wears is apparently a birthday gift from her mom, and the reason the monkeys in Tap Trial wear different outfits is because she convinced them to try on new outfits with her.

Oh, and according to Nintendo Badge Arcade, Rhythm Girl actually HAS a name: Yuka.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
The series name of "Rhythm Tengoku" was actually an accident. When it came time to find a name, one person suggested something (we're not quite sure on what it was) but people misheard it as "Rhythm Tengoku", and liked it so much that it eventually stuck.

Also, during the western release of the DS game (which btw was the first game to hit overseas), they had a notable marketing campaign with Beyonce of all people. Giving us stuff like this.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
I've never played Rhythm heaven, so this is more of a general question about a rhythm game representative in Smash than one specifically about this franchise - How much do you guys feel that any rhythm game character needs to come with some sort of rhythm based mechanic / gimmick. We know a mechanic like this has appeared before in Smash in the form of DK's (now removed) Final Smash, but also there's lots of signs that the Chorus Kids were planned for Smash at some point before eventually being scrapped. In my opinion, it really might be too difficult to implement that sort of mechanic in a fun / satisfying way in a hectic fighting game. We do have moves like deep breathing and incineroar side B which are already frustrating to perform online because of lag, so I can only imagine this sort of thing will be much worse for a character that needs to time moves with specific buttons. I think a Rhythm Heaven (or any rhythm game character) would benefit from simply not trying to implement this mechanic at all.

Nominations:
Jace x 10

amageish

Smash Master
The famous Ringside wrestler/interview sequence was originally going instead to be posing for photographs at the cake-cutting of a wedding! Huzzah marriage...

I've never played Rhythm heaven, so this is more of a general question about a rhythm game representative in Smash than one specifically about this franchise - How much do you guys feel that any rhythm game character needs to come with some sort of rhythm based mechanic / gimmick. We know a mechanic like this has appeared before in Smash in the form of DK's (now removed) Final Smash, but also there's lots of signs that the Chorus Kids were planned for Smash at some point before eventually being scrapped. In my opinion, it really might be too difficult to implement that sort of mechanic in a fun / satisfying way in a hectic fighting game. We do have moves like deep breathing and incineroar side B which are already frustrating to perform online because of lag, so I can only imagine this sort of thing will be much worse for a character that needs to time moves with specific buttons. I think a Rhythm Heaven (or any rhythm game character) would benefit from simply not trying to implement this mechanic at all.

Nominations:
Jace x 10
I feel like the Rhythm Heaven rep should be fun and if a BPM gimmick gets in the way of it being fun/practical, then it's better to just have a silly Rhythm-Heaven-vibes character.

Or at minimum, give it a stage. I am so confused how this IP has never had a stage...

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Hey since the Ayumi Tachibana poll at the top of this page is closed already, here's an idea for a poll. Rhythm Heaven is probably the most requested franchise for Smash that has so many possibilities for who could be included as the fighter, from the Chorus Kids to Karate Joe to Tibby and the Tap Trial girl. We oculd start a poll for the remainder of the day to see which character is most popular among us. Personally, I think I'd add the Tap Trial girl to Smash if I were in charge, probably under the name of Ms. Rhythm since Mr. Game & Watch kinda started the trend. Her very human shape makes her the best candidate for performing most of the actions in the other Rhythm Heaven minigames without looking awkward. Karate Joe also does that but he's too connected to martial arts which would be a waste of RH's creativity.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hey since the Ayumi Tachibana poll at the top of this page is closed already, here's an idea for a poll. Rhythm Heaven is probably the most requested franchise for Smash that has so many possibilities for who could be included as the fighter, from the Chorus Kids to Karate Joe to Tibby and the Tap Trial girl. We oculd start a poll for the remainder of the day to see which character is most popular among us. Personally, I think I'd add the Tap Trial girl to Smash if I were in charge, probably under the name of Ms. Rhythm since Mr. Game & Watch kinda started the trend. Her very human shape makes her the best candidate for performing most of the actions in the other Rhythm Heaven minigames without looking awkward. Karate Joe also does that but he's too connected to martial arts which would be a waste of RH's creativity.
I feel like it'd be more natural to just see where the conversation goes. We didn't set it up at the beginning of the day anyways, so it wouldn't be the most accurate of polls either.

Anyways, I think I'd go with SSBI's RH rep and add Barista. I dunno, I just like little doggos and adding another one to Smash is a win in my book.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Thought I'd share my personal selection for potential RH tracks. 50 to be exact, this includes the 3 already in Ultimate as of current. All are pretty much in chronological order of when they debuted. Of course some would probably get remixed.

Given this is a series all about music, this was a lot harder to pin down than you think. I've had this playlist forr a while now and even then I've been adding and removing tracks often until I'm fully satisfied with it. I tried to go for some of the iconic rhythm games and remixes plus tracks that'd just work well in Smash's environment.

Also the 51st track in the playlist is what I'd envision the rep's victory theme to be

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, here's the noms list

• 50+ noms
  • Quote - x90
  • Sora - x65
  • LoL rep - x60
  • Euden - x55
  • 26-50 noms
  • Zegram Grant - x50
  • Funky Kong - x50
  • Isaac (TBoI) - x50
  • Masked Man - x45
  • Agumon - x45
  • Farmer - x40
  • Jace x35
  • Maxwell - x35
  • 11-25 noms
  • Amaterasu - x25
  • 2B - x25
  • Chosen Undead - x20
  • Frisk - x19
  • Estelle Bright - x15
  • Pyramid Head x15
  • Mega Man X x15
  • Trauma Center Content - x12
  • 6-10 noms
  • Master Hand - x10
  • Laharl - x10
  • Daitoryo - x10
  • Battletoads - x10
  • Isaac (Golden Sun) - x10
  • Shovel Knight - x10
  • Amiya - x5
  • Elma - x8
  • 5 noms and under
  • Gunvolt - x5
  • Octoling - x5
  • Jill Stingray - x5
  • Astral Chain rep - x5
  • Nathan Drake x5
  • Under 5 noms
  • Sans - x2
  • Freedy Fazbear - x2
  • Alucard - x5
  • Jill Valentine - x1
  • Fillia - x1
  • Danganronpa rep - x1
  • Marco Rossi - x1
  • Gordon Freeman - x1
  • Dart Monkey - x1

Oof, lowest spread of noms in a while.

Yeah, I should probably get some help with recording all this on time...

Anyways, Tom Nook
1621354034889.png

I will meme everyone into oblivion if I have the chance

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

• 50+ noms
  • Quote - x90
  • Sora - x65
  • LoL rep - x60
  • Euden - x55
  • 26-50 noms
  • Zegram Grant - x50
  • Funky Kong - x50
  • Isaac (TBoI) - x50
  • Masked Man - x45
  • Agumon - x45
  • Farmer - x40
  • Jace x35
  • Maxwell - x35
  • 11-25 noms
  • Amaterasu - x25
  • 2B - x25
  • Chosen Undead - x20
  • Frisk - x19
  • Estelle Bright - x15
  • Pyramid Head x15
  • Mega Man X x15
  • 6-10 noms
  • Master Hand - x10
  • Laharl - x10
  • Daitoryo - x10
  • Battletoads - x10
  • Shovel Knight - x10
  • Amiya - x5
  • Elma - x8
  • 5 noms and under
  • Gunvolt - x5
  • Octoling - x5
  • Jill Stingray - x5
  • Astral Chain rep - x5
  • Nathan Drake x5
  • Under 5 noms
  • Sans - x2
  • Freedy Fazbear - x2
  • Alucard - x5
  • Jill Valentine - x1
  • Fillia - x1
  • Danganronpa rep - x1
  • Marco Rossi - x1
  • Gordon Freeman - x1
  • Dart Monkey - x1

Anyways, Tom Nook
View attachment 315643
I made a post though, didn’t you see it? I also posted some noms that day

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Alright, here's my question: how would Tom Nook be different from Villager and Isabelle?

Nominations: Euden (Dragalia Lost) x10

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Animal Crossing is another game I haven’t had the opportunity to play myself but it is so huge that I couldn’t really complain if we get another character. My question is what could Tom Nook do to separate himself from Isabelle and Villager? Do you think he would be another semiclone or does he have enough material for a completely original moveset?

x10 Zegram Ghart

Paraster

Smash Lord
Noms:
Isaac (TBoI) x5

Is it possible Tom Nook could have a moveset geared around construction and/or using Bells as a currency/resource? This seems like an interesting way to reflect his canonical tendencies.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Tom Nook is a character that I'm surprised hasn't made it in the game. I did see a set for Tom Nook somewhere that involved Nook Miles and a lot of stuff from New Horizons, so that's the uniqueness covered. As for his importance to the series, his role in every title is pretty much the only reason why he's one of the #1 Animal Crossing Candidate in Smash now that Isabelle and Villager are in. Oh BTW here's the video with the set I was talking about:

As for noms...
Pyramid Head x10

I will keep nom'ing this dude and will stand by him for a good long time.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Alright, here's my question: how would Tom Nook be different from Villager and Isabelle?

Tom Nook would likely be more stage control orienting, building settlements or what the things were called by using bells in his moveset, earn money by beating people up and spending it to do something that hinders your opponents

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
My question is what could Tom Nook do to separate himself from Isabelle and Villager?
how would Tom Nook be different from Villager and Isabelle?
From looking at both Isabelle and Villager it seems that their moveset is mostly based around activity that you and other villager can do in the game (fishing, digging etc.) However, forgive me if I'm mistaken, shopkeeper and special villager or in this case Tom Nook seems to do specific things that no other villager can and is only unique to them, like the Able Sisters making new clothes or Blathers with his museum collection that could be made for an interesting moveset. With Nook selling you items and expanding your home this could give him a moveset based around his job.

All noms for Saber from Fate

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Tom Nook would likely be more stage control orienting, building settlements or what the things were called by using bells in his moveset, earn money by beating people up and spending it to do something that hinders your opponents
The first thing I imagined here was Tom Nook bribing the judges to rule against you

The second was Tom Nook paying a hitman to go after your head

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I would love Tom Nook in Smash Bros. He just really appeals to me for some reason.
Do you guys think they could implement a gimmick that revolves around how he's known for gifting players with crippling debt?
Noms: Master Hand x10

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

• 50+ noms
  • Quote - x90
  • Sora - x65
  • LoL rep - x60
  • Euden - x55
  • 26-50 noms
  • Zegram Grant - x50
  • Funky Kong - x50
  • Isaac (TBoI) - x50
  • Masked Man - x45
  • Agumon - x45
  • Farmer - x40
  • Jace x35
  • Maxwell - x35
  • 11-25 noms
  • Amaterasu - x25
  • 2B - x25
  • Chosen Undead - x20
  • Frisk - x19
  • Estelle Bright - x15
  • Pyramid Head x15
  • Mega Man X x15
  • 6-10 noms
  • Master Hand - x10
  • Laharl - x10
  • Daitoryo - x10
  • Battletoads - x10
  • Shovel Knight - x10
  • Amiya - x5
  • Elma - x8
  • 5 noms and under
  • Gunvolt - x5
  • Octoling - x5
  • Jill Stingray - x5
  • Astral Chain rep - x5
  • Nathan Drake x5
  • Under 5 noms
  • Sans - x2
  • Freedy Fazbear - x2
  • Alucard - x5
  • Jill Valentine - x1
  • Fillia - x1
  • Danganronpa rep - x1
  • Marco Rossi - x1
  • Gordon Freeman - x1
  • Dart Monkey - x1

Anyways, Tom Nook
View attachment 315643
Two questions:
  1. I'm out of the loop; why is Day 7 Tom Nook?
  2. I don't see my name in the noms list. Could you add it back in, please?

Laniv

Smash Champion
Yes, hello! Heard we were talking about Tom Nook!

What I imagine is that he'd share a handful of moves with Villager and Isabelle, but his specials, throws and some smash attacks would be very different-- the Wolf to Villager and Isabelle's Fox and Falco, as it were.

There are two things Tom Nook can do that
1. Villager and Isabelle haven't done already, and
2. Are something only he really can do.

And those are:

Bells:

1621360611053.png

and Furniture Leaves:

1621360630277.png

I imagine that Nook could gain more Bells the more attacks he lands on an opponent, boosting his stats the more Bells he has on hand. Basically, the anti-Lucario. Bells could simply stay in his pocket, or be spent on stronger or quicker attacks. If the player wishes, Nook can also, as others have said, spend Bells on buildings and taking over areas of the stage that would penalize the opponent if they stepped foot in it-- a literal zoner. If he has to use tools, he could even spend Bells to (possibly temporarily) upgrade those tools into their silver or even golden variants.

As for his leaves, they could be placed by Nook as part of his smashes, landing on the ground as furniture, or laid down as traps like Snake's C4, or even thrown like throwing stars, turning into furniture on impact. This might be pushing it a bit, but perhaps they could lean into his tanuki origins and have him transforms items into leaves that he can use.

Pocket, I feel, is the Animal Crossing thumbprint in Smash Bros, much like the Fire Emblem cast's counters and the Star Fox crew's blasters. Tom Nook's version can be differentiated from the other two Animal Crossers by allowing him to "sell" items and projectiles he catches and convert them into Bells to boost his stats.

And what better Final Smash for Tom Nook than building a house for his opponents, dealing massive damage from the sheer weight of the debt they've found themselves in?

1621362914541.png

Long story short, I think Tom Nook can make for a very interesting character that, while similar, can provide a different experience from Villager and Isabelle. If another Animal Crossing character is on the table, it's probably going to be him.

1621362730074.png

Pillow

Smash Lord
Ah Tom Nook.

So here's the funny thing, despite never playing Animal Crossing in my life, I have always loved this character. The idea of a tanuki loan shark just appeals to me so hard.

In terms of playstyle, I agree with the many other here who suggested he play similarly to Villager/Isabelle but with an included money collecting mechanic. Honestly they could just make coins pop out like during coin mode, which technically causes confusion with the coin mode, but literally who plays that mode? Like his other AC buddies, his focus should be on area denial / zoning, but now with resource management thrown in so he can be allowed stronger options balanced by the weakness of having to grab and manage the money.

Yes, hello! Heard we were talking about Tom Nook!

What I imagine is that he'd share a handful of moves with Villager and Isabelle, but his specials, throws and some smash attacks would be very different-- the Wolf to Villager and Isabelle's Fox and Falco, as it were.

There are two things Tom Nook can do that
1. Villager and Isabelle haven't done already, and
2. Are something only he really can do.

And those are:

Bells:

View attachment 315651

and Furniture Leaves:

View attachment 315652

I imagine that Nook could gain more Bells the more attacks he lands on an opponent, boosting his stats the more Bells he has on hand. Basically, the anti-Lucario. Bells could simply stay in his pocket, or be spent on stronger or quicker attacks. If the player wishes, Nook can also, as others have said, spend Bells on buildings and taking over areas of the stage that would penalize the opponent if they stepped foot in it-- a literal zoner. If he has to use tools, he could even spend Bells to (possibly temporarily) upgrade those tools into their silver or even golden variants.

As for his leaves, they could be placed by Nook as part of his smashes, landing on the ground as furniture, or laid down as traps like Snake's C4, or even thrown like throwing stars, turning into furniture on impact. This might be pushing it a bit, but perhaps they could lean into his tanuki origins and have him transforms items into leaves that he can use.

Pocket, I feel, is the Animal Crossing thumbprint in Smash Bros, much like the Fire Emblem cast's counters and the Star Fox crew's blasters. Tom Nook's version can be differentiated from the other two Animal Crossers by allowing him to "sell" items and projectiles he catches and convert them into Bells to boost his stats.

And what better Final Smash for Tom Nook than building a house for his opponents, dealing massive damage from the sheer weight of the debt they've found themselves in?

View attachment 315658

Long story short, I think Tom Nook can make for a very interesting character that, while similar, can provide a different experience from Villager and Isabelle. If another Animal Crossing character is on the table, it's probably going to be him.

View attachment 315657
I really like the idea of him collecting money to summon stronger furniture honestly. That would just be sweet.

Noms:
x10 Jace

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Two questions:
  1. I'm out of the loop; why is Day 7 Tom Nook?
  2. I don't see my name in the noms list. Could you add it back in, please?
  1. We voted on whether or not to push back Ayumi's day, since we were worried people wouldn't have enough time to get through the FDC remakes in time to give their full thoughts. Tom Nook was part of the tiebreaker with Phoenix, so we just brought him in to fill the empty spot
  2. The previous day was just low on activity, without much concept pitches or questions. We're not just handing out noms just for showing up; If you're not in the extra noms, it just means you didn't fill the requirements for the extra noms.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
  1. We voted on whether or not to push back Ayumi's day, since we were worried people wouldn't have enough time to get through the FDC remakes in time to give their full thoughts. Tom Nook was part of the tiebreaker with Phoenix, so we just brought him in to fill the empty spot
  2. The previous day was just low on activity, without much concept pitches or questions. We're not just handing out noms just for showing up; If you're not in the extra noms, it just means you didn't fill the requirements for the extra noms.
Ah, okay then.

Noms: Sora x5

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, Tom Nook time!

I think people have kind of hit the nail on the head here already and it's best to have Nook represent the mechanics of AC not already in the game - the economy and the non-equipment items. Maybe toss in some NL/NH mechanics that are MIA from the current kits to flesh out the moveset in places where it'd be weird to use bells and furniture?

I do wonder how we'd handle a new AC stage though, given that we do have a Animal Crossing island, even if it isn't any of the NH islands...

Noms: Farmer x 15

Gengar84

Smash Hero
As far as I’m aware, Animal Crossing is a series that doesn’t really have a villain since it’s just about living day to day and building a town. Am I correct in assuming that Tom Nook is the closest the series has to a villain? I’m curious if Sakurai would group Tom in with them for events and such even if he isn’t really villainous.

amageish

Smash Master
As far as I’m aware, Animal Crossing is a series that doesn’t really have a villain since it’s just about living day to day and building a town. Am I correct in assuming that Tom Nook is the closest the series has to a villain? I’m curious if Sakurai would group Tom in with them for events and such even if he isn’t really villainous.
No, the idea of Tom Nook as a mob boss or robber baron sort of figure is an entirely fanon thing. Canonically, he's a rich dude who was meant to invoke a sort of "Your boss at a job you don't love, but are happy enough with and, hey, it's a living!" vibe, but he's still meant to be a good guy who is willing to help you out. It's canonically implied that he sells things at a loss and there's assorted mentions of him doing charity work throughout the games. Plus, while he is giving out loans, these loans are interest-free and they are never actually due - you can theoretically never pay him back with the only penalty being an inability to take out a new loan until the previous one is paid.

He makes a good villain if you're writing a satire article that uses Animal Crossing as a metaphor for the capitalist system we're living in IRL, but that doesn't make him a villain in-universe.

Now, if Sakurai would make memes or jokes about it? Maybe! The fanon interpretation of Tom Nook as the ultimate evil is a thing in all regions and I'm sure Sakurai would be aware of it, but a joke wouldn't be about canon.

If Animal Crossing has a "villain," then it probably would have been the insurance salesman Lyle who did actually scam you out of money in earlier games, but even he's had a heel-turn in the later games and is depicted as a well-meaning family man now (well, in New Leaf and Happy Home Designer; he isn't in New Horizons ((yet))). It's just a happy world that has only gotten happier and wholesome-ier as the franchise has grown up.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
No, the idea of Tom Nook as a mob boss or robber baron sort of figure is an entirely fanon thing. Canonically, he's a rich dude who was meant to invoke a sort of "Your boss at a job you don't love, but are happy enough with and, hey, it's a living!" vibe, but he's still meant to be a good guy who is willing to help you out. It's canonically implied that he sells things at a loss and there's assorted mentions of him doing charity work throughout the games. Plus, while he is giving out loans, these loans are interest-free and they are never actually due - you can theoretically never pay him back with the only penalty being an inability to take out a new loan until the previous one is paid.

He makes a good villain if you're writing a satire article that uses Animal Crossing as a metaphor for the capitalist system we're living in IRL, but that doesn't make him a villain in-universe.

Now, if Sakurai would make memes or jokes about it? Maybe! The fanon interpretation of Tom Nook as the ultimate evil is a thing in all regions and I'm sure Sakurai would be aware of it, but a joke wouldn't be about canon.

If Animal Crossing has a "villain," then it probably would have been the insurance salesman Lyle who did actually scam you out of money in earlier games, but even he's had a heel-turn in the later games and is depicted as a well-meaning family man now (well, in New Leaf and Happy Home Designer; he isn't in New Horizons ((yet))). It's just a happy world that has only gotten happier and wholesome-ier as the franchise has grown up.
Thanks. That was a great explanation. I feel like I understand him a lot better now because I was always more familiar with the fannon than the official games.

I think you meant face-turn. Heels are the bad guys in wrestling :ultincineroar:.

Last edited:
Top Bottom