• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I honestly think we can get some uniqueness from Chrom. He isn't my first choice for a fe character by any means but I do think he has potential from the Awakening cut scenes and his various reclasses and the fact he uses lances as a back up.

I know Ike can use axes as a back up but that wasn't even till Radiant Dawn and it isn't exactly something well known with Ike

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think Chrom will have something very surprising up his sleeve. I have no idea what, but looking at the current newcomer cast and their movesets it doesn't seem like Sakurai would make a Marth/Ike hybrid, that's just too plain.

Personally I could settle for a more standard newcomer, can't really wrap my head around all these wacky concepts myself, but I'm not big on Chrom either way.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
l think Chrom will have something very surprising up his sleeve. I have no idea what, but looking at the current newcomer cast and their movesets it doesn't seem like Sakurai would make a Marth/Ike hybrid, that's just too plain.

Personally I could settle for a more standard newcomer, can't really wrap my head around all these wacky concepts myself, but I'm not big on Chrom either way.
Sakurai will have something none of us can imagine for him probably. Not big on Chrom myself as I said but I'm excited at the prospect of a third fire emblem fighter none the less

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I can definitely see a mechanic that as Shulk uses normal attacks, he builds up a meter (similar to the Talent Art Guage in Xenoblade) that allows him to use a powered up special ala Lucario in PM.
Each special could have a Monado version of it that powers it up significantly.
Buster, Shield, Speed and a few others come into mind.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I like the idea of Shulks final smash being a chain attack and have cameos from his team.. But maybe that would end up being too much like Mega's

Shulk should have Dunbans electric gutbuster only because that's the most amazing RPG tech name ever to me xD

Morbi

Scavenger
All this talk about Little Mac being generic makes me sad.

I'll give you that he has a basic boxing style though. Dude even switches into a hitman style stance briefly in his idle animation but doesn't throw a single flicker punch; what a tease.
Little Mac is still my most wanted newcomer. I always knew that he would be generic, that was not ever an issue for me. I cannot; however, deny that he is generic. I would honestly interpret myself as delusional if I did. Albeit he is more than just punches, but some people like to pretend that Sakurai took a generic concept and turned it into a masterpiece. I do not believe that to be the case in the slightest. I would like to believe that I am not biased in this specific instance because I still find his character intriguing and interesting, I want to play him more than any of the newcomers and I intend to main him, but that does not mean that he is not generic.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Little Mac is still my most wanted newcomer. I always knew that he would be generic, that was not ever an issue for me. I cannot; however, deny that he is generic. I would honestly interpret myself as delusional if I did. Albeit he is more than just punches, but some people like to pretend that Sakurai took a generic concept and turned it into a masterpiece. I do not believe that to be the case in the slightest. I would like to believe that I am not biased in this specific instance because I still find his character intriguing and interesting, I want to play him more than any of the newcomers and I intend to main him, but that does not mean that he is not generic.
I'm delusional and biased because I don't?

Boxing is a generic concept?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm delusional and biased because I don't?

Boxing is a generic concept?
I did not insinuate anything to that effect, perhaps you are misconstruing something?

No. Of course not, but that is what (almost) everyone believes, "he just punches, I do not want a character that just punches." Prior to his reveal, almost everyone thought that it was a boring concept and that Sakurai would have to work a miracle in order to make Little Mac's move-set diverse. I am merely asserting that he did not. I am more interested in other characters that box because the concept was implemented properly elsewhere.

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
As long as a character is conveyed in a form that's true to them, I don't care how generic he is. Not that I think boxing is in itself a generic idea. Tekken's Steve Fox and Street Fighter's Dudley were executed well and they turned out to bring one of the more unique styles to their respective games.

Morbi

Scavenger
As long as a character is conveyed in a form that's true to them, I don't care how generic he is. Not that I think boxing is in itself a generic idea. Tekken's Steve Fox and Street Fighter's Dudley were executed well and they turned out to bring one of the more unique styles to their respective games.
My thoughts verbatim. It is irrelevant that I find him generic because Little Mac is; for the most part, true to his character. It is just difficult for me to ignore the notion that he IS generic from my perspective. Just to clarify my thoughts, if someone says something negative, someone, somewhere is going to take it the wrong way.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So Nintendo is a sponsor for EVO. NOW I'm expecting a character this Friday.

And is that why there was Crashboards?
Friday is only Pools play though, wouldn't make much sense to announce a character then. At Evo announcements are usually made pre-Grand Finals, and that's on Sunday.

Of course they could just drop a PotD on Friday instead of actually showing a trailer over the stream, but that kind of defeats the point of sponsor = character reveal.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
We're likely to get a reveal on Friday, but it won't have anything to do with EVO.
I hope you're right. I need something to temporarily excite me while I wait in anguish and anticipation for the 3DS version to come out. XD

Hong

The Strongest
I think Chrom will have something very surprising up his sleeve. I have no idea what, but looking at the current newcomer cast and their movesets it doesn't seem like Sakurai would make a Marth/Ike hybrid, that's just too plain.

Aside from a mix-up focused fighter or any number of niches Smash Bros is still missing:

I'd LOVE if they made him into some goofy, over-the-top, romance-based character. So he raises his support ranking by attacking and KOing foes, and then after he reaches an S support rank he can use a move to "propose" to his enemies, which kind of works like a Raging Demon-esque command grab. If not, Support can be a Final Smash instead, but whatever.

It'd be a horrible embarrassment for the character, sure, but it would also be hilarious and would represent the support mechanic of Fire Emblem in an interesting way.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Aside from a mix-up focused fighter or any number of niches Smash Bros is still missing:

I'd LOVE if they made him into some goofy, over-the-top, romance-based character. So he raises his support ranking by attacking and KOing foes, and then after he reaches an S support rank he can use a move to "propose" to his enemies, which kind of works like a Raging Demon-esque command grab. If not, Support can be a Final Smash instead, but whatever.

It'd be a horrible embarrassment for the character, sure, but it would also be hilarious and would represent the support mechanic of Fire Emblem in an interesting way.
It would be Super Effective against Jigglypuff, too!

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace

Let's just put Virion in the game instead. :awesome:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Aww man Steve Fox is the Sheet man

anyway, two things I saw:

1. The mac is generic debate- I dont think many of the characters in smash are 'unique' except a handful (Olimar, IC, Lucario in theory) so the fact that he's another basic striker isn't a huge deal for me

2. Chrom's uniqueness- The whole lance thing is never gonna happen, Ike was a hero who could wield axes but never did, Chrom is gonna be the same, nor will they incorprate reclass, if he makes it he's probably gonna be a median between Ike and marth like Link feels. I'm just worried about his specials, they really scraped the bottom of the barrel to create 7 unique specials for Ike and Marth

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Yeah lances aren't even Chrom's primary weapon anyways. Plus the Falchion, man. The Falchion.

Hmmm maybe he could have a self-healing move? That's what you can do to yourself with it in Awakening anyways.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah lances aren't even Chrom's primary weapon anyways. Plus the Falchion, man. The Falchion.

Hmmm maybe he could have a self-healing move? That's what you can do to yourself with it in Awakening anyways.
Doesn't Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing also have a self healing effect?

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Doesn't Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing also have a self healing effect?
Yes. But that isn't really its primary function as a move. Its primary purpose is to power up attacks for a brief amount of time.

The Falchion is used to fight and self-heal. And slay dragons.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yes. But that isn't really its primary function as a move. Its primary purpose is to power up attacks for a brief amount of time.

The Falchion is used to fight and self-heal. And slay dragons.
The Falchion's primary purpose is to fight. Self healing is a minor ability it gets at the very end of the game.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
You are correct indeed. And I think maybe a self-healing move could be fitting for Chrom if he indeed makes it in, or perhaps have an Aether that absorbs health.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You are correct indeed. And I think maybe a self-healing move could be fitting for Chrom if he indeed makes it in, or perhaps have an Aether that absorbs health.
I just feel like a self healing move is similar to Chrom using spears: an ability that Chrom has, but one that's rather negligible in the context of the game. It seems like pulling from the bottom of the barrel for the sake of making Chrom unique.

Also, why should Chrom have an Aether that restores health while Ike doesn't?

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I don't know how a Falchion heal move would fit into Chrom's specials, assuming he'll get some chargeable neutral B sword attack and a down B counter. It IS indeed a Falchion feature, it IS a thing, not just pulling from the bottom of the barrel, they'll probably be pulling from the bottom of the barrel as far as Chrom goes anyways as he really doesn't have much to offer in terms of character or abilities that Marth and Ike have already provided, but I don't want to really discuss that right now.

As for a healing Aether, good question. Chrom's Aether is visually different from Ike's, but they both work the same functionally. But actually, now that I think about it, I think a healing Aether would be fitting as a custom move for both Chrom and Ike. Aether heals both in their respective games, but in Smash it don't heal jack. So delegating a healing Aether to a custom move seems pretty ideal.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You people do realize that healing can easily become a game breaking mechanic in fighting games right?
I think that, to make up for it, the character using it should be extremely fraile, and the move should leave them vulnerable for a short time.

Then you have to use your healing move very strategically.
I'm still holding out for Rest healing some HP in customization.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
He can 'learn' sol cant he?

EDIT: also, Project M Ivysaur has a healing move and its not broken and the pace and spacing of PM is way faster than SSB4 is gonna be so I dont see it being broken at all. Plus Ivy's turns into solar beam, so if one was pure healing with no culmination I don't think it would be broken.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
You people do realize that healing can easily become a game breaking mechanic in fighting games right?
It's an immensely slippery slope that I'd avoid all-together unless it creates an interesting dynamic/play experience.

For example, Elena in USF4 has healing. It's an ultra, and really weak unless you use the long version which is incredibly punishable. On all accounts, it was considered "weak" or average, because you are trading it for a powerful offensive option.

But at this year's CEO, in the top 8 we had an Elena player who camped out against a Guile. Using FADC, she was able to stay on the other end of the screen and pull off several heals in one set. What happened was, it forced the Guile player to be more aggressive. I enjoyed it more than, say, a fight between two zoning characters. The match can be seen here.

Wii Fit Trainer right now is about right. Deep Breathing activates faster and heals more depending on how long it has been since it was used, and at a maximum of 4%. This helps reinforce the dynamic of WFT as a character who wants to get away from the enemy to recharge, and doesn't really function as a heal-on-demand that you can just use whenever you want.

In any event, there is still plenty of stuff that Chrom can do that doesn't involve healing, so I rather we don't.
He can 'learn' sol cant he?
No.

Aether, however, is a combination of Sol and Luna in succession.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, people are failing to actually create a playstyle for Chrom.

Not a moveset, a playstyle. There is a bunch of jumbled ideas but nobody has bother to make it concrete.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Regarding healing, it could be implemented in ways that don't make it totally broken. For example, minimal healing or charged healing a la Deep Breathing. If there is healing it would probably be best to implement it in a custom Aether move.

Also, people are failing to actually create a playstyle for Chrom.

Not a moveset, a playstyle. There is a bunch of jumbled ideas but nobody has bother to make it concrete.
Yeah, mostly because he offers nothing that Marth and Ike already have. Maybe his shield could come in handy, I don't know. He shares Marth's blade, and has Aether like Ike.

Also I wrote this a while back regarding Chrom...

...what we have is a heavy sword user and a lighter sword user, both being blue-haired lords in their respective games. Sure, Chrom could definitely be a playable character, there's zero doubt about that. But what is going to differentiate him from them? Chrom uses Aether too, that fact alone does wonders in further pushing his potential near-synonymy with Ike/Marth. Will he just be a moderately powerful blue-haired Fire Emblem lord? Sure, that could work, but that's a waste of a character slot in my mind. If not, how is he going to be different from them? The only thing that comes to my mind that can separate him from the rest is his Shield of Seals (i.e. the Fire Emblem). Even with that, I could only see it being implemented in the way that Link/Toon Link's shields are used, i.e. protecting from some projectiles from the front while in idle position. Or, it could be used like Pit's Mirror Shield, and with it being the Fire Emblem, it probably could merit acting exactly the same as that.

So...sure, Chrom is from the best-selling game in the series. The best-selling game that also saved the series from its demise. I get that. But barring that, what else does Chrom have to offer that Marth and Ike haven't. Essentially, nothing..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom