• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Having DK have DK, Diddy, Dixie, and K.Rool as playable and Cranky as an Assist seems like it would represent DK pretty well, even if I'd rather have Cranky be playable instead of Dixie.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Here is a question for everyone: How would you like to see Shadow the Hedgehog in smash 4?
-promoted to playable
-stays as an assist
-demoted to trophy
-changed to sonic alt. costume (my personal pick)
changed to boss/stage hazard

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Here is a question for everyone: How would you like to see Shadow the Hedgehog in smash 4?
-promoted to playable
-stays as an assist
-demoted to trophy
I'd rather see it changed to Sonic's alternate costume, it'd probably also be the closest we could get him playable.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
-promoted to playable
-stays as an assist
-demoted to trophy
Demoted to trophy as I feel Tails should be the AT this time around.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
-promoted to playable
-stays as an assist
-demoted to trophy
I wanna say Assist and Costume but i stick with Assist

Why doesnt Skull Kid crash the Moon.................

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
This right here is perfect. I'd still be content if it was just K. Rool, but both deserve to be in. I'll be very disappointed if we don't see a DK newcomer this game.
Im assuming everyone wants to read our likes and dislikes for the future ssb?

I wouldn't be disappointed at all, actually I would be happy. 2 DK newcomers are enough, I want to see more variety of series from Nintendo to be a playable character. stop increasing Big franchises char roster size and start giving us new series as playable characters. lol

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

I wouldn't be disappointed at all, actually I would be happy. 2 DK newcomers are enough, I want to see more variety of series from Nintendo to be a playable character. stop increasing Big franchises char roster size and start giving us new series as playable characters. lol
This is how I feel really. I adore DK (DKC and arcade DK), but I'm perfectly content with just DK and Diddy. If I had to choose one character from the series to add, as much as I love Dixie and Cranky, I'd represent arcade DK with DK Jr. (unless Cranky fits the bill) and give him a moveset off that because there's so much potential in climbing vines and ladders, throwing hammers and oil drums, using hammers and backflips and handstands and all that, but I can live without it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This is how I feel really. I adore DK (DKC and arcade DK), but I'm perfectly content with just DK and Diddy. If I had to choose one character from the series to add, as much as I love Dixie and Cranky, I'd represent arcade DK with DK Jr. (unless Cranky fits the bill) and give him a moveset off that because there's so much potential in climbing vines and ladders, throwing hammers and oil drums, using hammers and backflips and handstands and all that, but I can live without it.
I basically see it with nice and innovative specials,but Diddy-like physical moves (:GCA: attacks)

Last edited:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
So I got bored and decided to make a DREAM roster. I still used some common sense when making this so I'm curious to see what some might think. Anyways, here it is.

Dream Roster Roster.png

I know if there's any criticism it will probably be due to the lack of Lucas, but to be honest I don't care about Lucas at all...sorry Lucas fans. Though I did leave out a few popular characters.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
-promoted to playable
-stays as an assist
-demoted to trophy
Assist, even though I think Tails deserves to be the assist character.
Eggman for stage boss

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
-promoted to playable
-stays as an assist
-demoted to trophy
Either regular trophy, or none of the above.
I feel the same way, and I actually hope for the scenario you mentioned.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The dream roster brought up a question in my mind :

When did we last have a discussion about Black Shadow?

D

Deleted member

This isn't Mario we're talking about here, which already has its four core characters and more with Rosalina. Donkey Kong is still missing two very significant characters.

And we're already getting tons of new franchise in this game, so I don't see the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ironically, Marth is also tall and light, just like Mewtwo, but he's been one of the best contenders in the Smash Bros. series.
Because Marth has a better blend of attributes. He's smaller, falls faster (which means has a more efficient SHFFL), has a lot more killing options, being faster, and sports generally better range. Though Mewtwo does sport some things Marth lacks, like a more effective recovery, arguably better throws, and has access to a projectile. Though the reason why Mewtwo suffers is because of his large frame and slow falling speed which makes Mewtwo vulnerable to juggles, and Mewtwo's best KO options have a lot of limitations.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Because Marth has a better blend of attributes. He has blue hair and a sword.
Fixed.
Seriously though, he has good priority thanks to his sword. It even blocks many projectiles. Good range, KO moves, quick, and his grabs although they don't KO, they set him up in a good position to follow up, and also has great grab range.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Because Marth has a better blend of attributes. He's smaller, falls faster (which means has a more efficient SHFFL), has a lot more killing options, being faster, and sports generally better range. Though Mewtwo does sport some things Marth lacks, like a more effective recovery, arguably better throws, and has access to a projectile. Though the reason why Mewtwo suffers is because of his large frame and slow falling speed which makes Mewtwo vulnerable to juggles, and Mewtwo's best KO options have a lot of limitations.
It is very ironic how in Melee, Mewtwo suffered even more than Peach, who is also a light and floaty fighter. Of course, Peach was heavier than Mewtwo, so she was a tad harder to KO, despite having the same falling speed as Mewtwo.

Hopefully, if Mewtwo does return, its weight gets a much needed buff, since its weight in Melee seems way more suited for Mega Mewtwo Y.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Mewtwo or Palutena should have a levitating ability. They can use grounded attacks while hovering a few feet above the floor.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It is very ironic how in Melee, Mewtwo suffered even more than Peach, who is also a light and floaty fighter.
That's because of float cancels, the versatility of Turnip, and the infamous down smash.

That down smash can actually rake up over 70%+ if the opponent attempts to crouch cancel, it has semi-spike properties meaning it can actually KO fast falling character over the edge at abnormally low percentages, and the attack sports decent power at higher percentages.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Are we still on Dixie vs K. Rool?

If not, I don't care I will be saying my due.

K. Rool has Dixie beat easily in terms of potential move set and personality. The guy is a ticking time bomb of creativity and unrestrained potential, He could easily be made into one of the more unique characters on the roster (the thought of him having costumes that each have their own move sets makes my mouth water).

However, Dixie does have K. Rool beat in terms of relevancy considering her recent appearance in DKC:TP. Plus, she is fairly popular.

It would says its a 50/50 between the two. Ideally, it would be the best for both to get in as they both have their own merits. It really makes me sad to think that K Rool could get in over Dixie or vice versa.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I get the feeling people here are really downplaying arcade DK's significance.

Also I wouldn't say K.Rool has better personality (TOO inconsistent, he's practically different every appearance which is jarring), but he's got some amazing moveset potential. Dixie at least has a set and distinct personality that is apparent by her actions and design.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
On Mewtwo: Hopefully Sakurai takes all 280 lbs of Mewtwo seriously in SSB4, granted Mewtwo gets in.

So I got bored and decided to make a DREAM roster. I still used some common sense when making this so I'm curious to see what some might think. Anyways, here it is.

View attachment 13645

I know if there's any criticism it will probably be due to the lack of Lucas, but to be honest I don't care about Lucas at all...sorry Lucas fans. Though I did leave out a few popular characters.
I find your lack of Lucas disturbing. :troll:

Just joking, I can understand your dream logic.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
On Mewtwo: Hopefully Sakurai takes all 280 lbs of Mewtwo seriously in SSB4, granted Mewtwo gets in.
I presume the reason why Mewtwo was light to begin with was to balance out the fact that Mewtwo has the best recovery in Melee, so to prevent Mewtwo from become too resilient he was made abnormally light. The problem though is that it made Mewtwo too vulnerable to juggling, and the developers failed to give Mewtwo better attributes to compensate for the lightweight. Mewtwo could of been a good glass cannon character if his KO options we more reliable and he had more speed, but they aren't there.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I see no reason why Dixie and King K. Rool cannot both be playable. But we do need a new character in the super-weight class and so far we have none. Even taking the Sal rumor into account.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I see no reason why Dixie and King K. Rool cannot both be playable. But we do need a new character in the super-weight class and so far we have none. Even taking the Sal rumor into account.
It is time for his return

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This isn't Mario we're talking about here, which already has its four core characters and more with Rosalina. Donkey Kong is still missing two very significant characters.

And we're already getting tons of new franchise in this game, so I don't see the problem.
I refer Dixie more recognized than signifigant. K.Rool on the other hand....

It is time for his return
Oh boy,I always wanted a playable character that comes from an item....seriously? MM is as unoriginal as that Gold Peach thing.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Personally i dont think sakurai sees reps or choices in the same way some do. Many seem to think hes either deciding characters based on what weight classes are needed, or which franchises need to be even, i just dont think he works that way. Its far more random and from what i can tell based on what characters he sees potential in, and if there is new blood for him to look towards as well.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I get the feeling people here are really downplaying arcade DK's significance.

Also I wouldn't say K.Rool has better personality (TOO inconsistent, he's practically different every appearance which is jarring), but he's got some amazing moveset potential. Dixie at least has a set and distinct personality that is apparent by her actions and design.
It could be argued that widens what the developers could potentially pull from. However, I feel this is the K. Rool that most everyone is familiar with:
Rather than his other secret identities. This design is most likely the route developers would take when design the character with his costumes or different personalities being pushed to the side.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I doubt it. I think they will take the route of the Melee K.Rool trophy. Or at least, I am hoping so!

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I doubt it. I think they will take the route of the Melee K.Rool trophy. Or at least, I am hoping so!

Maybe a mixture of both? I personally would like to see a recreation of K. Rool while keeping faithful to his original appearance. Like how the LoZ characters were done.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I feel like K. Rool will be redesigned to an extent.
Maybe take his Brawl trophy and give him a gold played belly, something like that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Maybe a mixture of both? I personally would like to see a recreation of K. Rool while keeping faithful to his original appearance. Like how the LoZ characters were done.
This is the design that would mix best with the current designs of DK and Diddy. Can't speak about DK, but Diddy's look is 100% inspired by his SNES DKC look. After Returns, and Tropical Freeze, they could've easily redesigned him, but they didn't.

I however do think that a more PAON-like K.Rool will appear in the eventual DKCR 3 however. As the 'climber' games and Returns games really have similar art style. Especially Jungle Climber and Returns 1.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Retro's DKC borrows more from Jungle Beat than Paon's Swing/Climber games, I thought.

Though only in a more cartoony sense. Retro's art style is very much its own thing.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The cartoony thing was definitely inspired by the PAON games I always felt.

Anyway, let's do something new. Out of all the 'Original 12', rank who you like most to least

For me:

1) :4dk:
2) :4pikachu:
3) :4link:
4) :4samus:
5) :4yoshi:
6) :ness2:
7) :falcon:
8) :4luigi:
9) :4kirby:
10) :4fox:
11) :4mario:
12) :jigglypuff:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I would at least want a design for King K. Rool that makes him look intimidating and tough, like the cruel ******* he is.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
K. Rool and Dixie both have enough merits to get in, but I do think Dixie's chances were kind of hurt by not being revealed around Tropical Freeze's release, not to mention she doesn't really scream "potential" not that way K. Rool does.

And with the Kremlings making their comeback after years on hiatus, as enemies in Smash Run, K. Rool has a better chance than ever before IMO. At this point, I think K. Rool is tied with Palutena for the most likely newcomers.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
-promoted to playable
-stays as an assist
-demoted to trophy
Changed to Sonic Alternate costume, but I'd much rather see him playable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom