• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So many de-confirmations lately... How wonderful. With all these characters being removed from the picture, we're gradually getting a more clear idea of what the final roster will look like.

Now it's just a question of who will be next?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I guess one can assume that Sakurai will be paying more attention to the older franchises for reps than on the newer franchises. Greninja may be new, but its franchise is over 15 years old. Wonderful 101 has hardly been around for a full year yet.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
There may be a lot of disconfirmations lately, but the most important thing to note is who it's been.

First Dillon, now Wonder Red. Neither were tremendously popular, but the characters are becoming progressively more significant.

Soon we'll start to get to the good stuff. :demon:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am 100% supporting Sceptile now. Holy **** this is amazing!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Looks like Sceptile is looking like a real possibility, if they planned this ahead of time, then Sakurai must know about it. Hmm... now Mewtwo looks like a pin in a trash can now.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Darn It Mewtwo! Why'd you have to get put behind that amazing.... grass starter....

Sceptile for SSB4.

Also: I WANNNA MEGA WOBBUFFET!!!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

inb4sceptileisashoein

I'm still saying Pikachu, Lucario, Gekkouga, Charizard, Mewtwo, and Jigglypuff.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Although I chose Treecko back in Sapphire and would love to see Sceptile in smash, should he be in over Mewtwo? I would really enjoy either one of them, though. Third gen representative Sceptile makes sense.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'd actually prefer Grovyle :troll:
But I'm hyped about the remakes! I noticed that the release window is November. Smash comes out in the Summer, so we would already know all the characters due to them being the same. If Sceptile were to become playable, when would they reveal him?
Also, I still think Blaziken would have a much higher chance due to his extreme popularity.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
We've been getting so many deconfirmations it's kinda scary... who knows who's next. :nervous:

HOEN CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!

http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

Sceptile for smash! XD Discuss.
Serebii said:
The press release lists these games as a fresh take on Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire and states "The new titles promise to take players through a dramatic story within a spectacular new world. "
Story? GameFreak? Hahaha, yeah right, I'll believe it when I see it. Props if they could make it more worthwhile then X/Y.

But the remakes have finally begun, huh? After all these years of people saying, "Oh, look at this! It's totally hinting at a R/S remake!" has finally come true. Well, I'm wondering if it will have any impact on Smash if Sakurai new about this earlier... I don't mind if Sceptile's playable and the like, though, yeesh, I think some people would be upset if a 3rd Gen Pokemon has priority over Mewtwo (not saying a 3rd Gen is guaranteed, we have to wait on this).

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
We've been getting so many deconfirmations it's kinda scary... who knows who's next. :nervous:

Story? GameFreak? Hahaha, yeah right, I'll believe it when I see it. Props if they could make it more worthwhile then X/Y.

But the remakes have finally begun, huh? After all these years of people saying, "Oh, look at this! It's totally hinting at a R/S remake!" has finally come true. Well, I'm wondering if it will have any impact on Smash if Sakurai new about this earlier... I don't mind if Sceptile's playable and the like, though, yeesh, I think some people would be upset if a 3rd Gen Pokemon has priority over Mewtwo (not saying a 3rd Gen is guaranteed, we have to wait on this).
Something of note is that the Pegi rating is higher than before...so take that as you will.

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I'm a little embarrassed. here is my legit thought process when I saw the trophy today:

"Hey, it's that guy from Wonderful 101. What was his name again? OH! I remember! So Viewtiful Joe is a......wait....WHAT!? NO! Wonder Red! Jesus! Wonder Red is a trophy now, cool."

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I can see them showing off Ruby/Sapphire remake @ e3 then at the sametime show smash bros newcomer SCEPTILE!!!

lol :p

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Even though this probably won't mean much for a character like Sceptile or any other potential 3rd gen Pokemon, apart of me wonders a bit if GF would use a character to advertise the remakes. But again, they probably won't.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
HOENN!!!

Er, anyway... While I would say this makes Sceptile actually plausible now, I'd really have to wonder if Sakurai would know about this so far ahead of time. Greninja is one thing, X and Y were announced quite some time before Smash, so it's plausible he'd know of Greninja before the games actually came out. This is so far into the development of Smash that I have a hard time believing it will influence anything in the game, unless Game Freak forces it on Sakurai.

Also, until Sceptile gets a mega evolution, it's still overshadowed by Blaziken.

D

Deleted member

Even though this probably won't mean much for a character like Sceptile or any other potential 3rd gen Pokemon, apart of me wonders a bit if GF would use a character to advertise the remakes. But again, they probably won't.
The only way this would happen is if Game Freaks had been working on the 3rd gen remake and told Sakurai about it back when he was deciding the roster. It's unlikely, though, considering that the remake was likely started on immediately after Pokémon X & Y (they can reuse model which speeds up development time).

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, Greninja, Mewtwo, Sceptile, and Jiggs.

I would personally be alright with seven pokemon.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's too little too late to be thinking about the Ruby and Sapphire remakes if you asked me. Smash 3DS will be out before those games anyway.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, Greninja, Mewtwo, Sceptile, and Jiggs.

I would personally be alright with seven pokemon.
The same amount of Pokemon characters that a lot of people expected before Brawl Pokemon and Mewtwo got shot down. :laugh:

The only way this would happen is if Game Freaks had been working on the 3rd gen remake and told Sakurai about it back when he was deciding the roster. It's unlikely, though, considering that the remake was likely started on immediately after Pokémon X & Y (they can reuse model which speeds up development time).
I guess at most they could add a stage and music for the 3rd Gen. But reusing a model from X/Y and importing it to smash would be rather glaring.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Eh, I can't really see THAT many Pokemon characters happening personally, but I suppose it's not impossible.

Not going to throw in support for Sceptile for now, I would rather have Grovyle, or have Squirtle and Ivysaur back instead. In any case, I want Mewtwo and the Jiggs back.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
GameFreak might end up pushing the remakes REALLY hard and had Sakurai add Sceptile pre-emptively.

Unlikely, but possible.
I don't think Sceptile has any chance whatsoever. Mewtwo may not be a Grass-type, but it's way more iconic for being the first uber-leveled legendary.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
It's too little too late to be thinking about the Ruby and Sapphire remakes if you asked me. Smash 3DS will be out before those games anyway.
You never know with GameFreak.

We were all anticipating seven Pokemon prior to PT's deconfirmation so we all know it's a distinct possibility.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I wouldn't be surprised to see a Gen 3 Newcomer. I think Blaziken is more likely than Sceptile due to popularity and having a Mega Evolution.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You never know with GameFreak.

We were all anticipating seven Pokemon prior to PT's deconfirmation so we all know it's a distinct possibility.
Still, three fully evolved starters seems like overkill. Ivysaur isn't fully evolved itself, so one would probably think about Grovyle instead. Besides, Blaziken is more popular than Sceptile when you consider its access to a mega evolution.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I wonder what Squirtle and Ivysaur's fate will be in the end and how many people would asume Sceptile replaced Ivysaur if he were to be confirmed?

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So I see that a Ruby and Sapphire remake is unveiled. The only question remains is the possibility of a Pokemon from the 3rd gen being as a playable character for SSB Wii U and 3DS.

Other than that I don't really mind if a 3rd gen Pokemon makes it in.

I wonder what Squirtle and Ivysaur's fate will be in the end and how many people would asume Sceptile replaced Ivysaur if he were to be confirmed?
Maybe either as a Pokeball item or a collectable trophy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom