• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander Claus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4382-1975-7034
Have we even had a series (aside from Mario and it's spin offs) get more than 4 character reps?

Because if we haven't I think Pokemon is done with characters (Pika, Lucario, Charizard and Greninja) But who knows, right?

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm still betting on Mewtwo and Jigglypuff, and I never said otherwise.

I'm just saying that if we were to get a 3rd gen Pokemon that Blaziken makes the most sense.
Precisely (I was just using your post as a template, I wasn't meaning to direct any negative connotations at you). When I first joined Smashboards, I wasn't comfortable supporting Mewtwo; I am a hipster, as such, I do not like supporting mainstream characters, but the incompetence of the majority of speculators honestly makes Mewtwo seem like an unexpected choice. If, one year ago, I told myself that one day Mewtwo and Ridley would be interpreted as "surprise" characters... I obviously would not have believed myself.

I now feel comfortable supporting blatantly obvious candidates like Mewtwo and Ridley; funny how that is.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Swampert is going to be in because Stealth Rocks. :troll:
Have we even had a series (aside from Mario and it's spin offs) get more than 4 character reps?

Because if we haven't I think Pokemon is done with characters (Pika, Lucario, Charizard and Greninja) But who knows, right?
Technically Zelda, if you count Zelda and Sheik separate characters.
Same applies to Pokémon. Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Chariard could count as separate characters, pushing the maximum character limit to six.

Last edited:

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
Um, hello, Mewtwo anyone?
He is the newcomer with the most evidence in his favor? Logic dictates that he is the most feasible choice.

Oh wait... Hoenn confirmed. Yep, first Lucario replaced Mewtwo, and then Greninja replaced Mewtwo, I suppose a 3rd generation Pokemon is the next to "replace" Mewtwo? :denzel:
Technically Mewtwo is a veteran not a newcomer.

But I do agree with you. As much as I love Pokemon I don't think smash needs any more representatives from it. And If there was to be another one then that spot should go to Mewtwo in my opinion.

Scepetile's chances are really low. This thing about that there needs to be a grass starter to complete the trio sounds abit far fetched, Greninja and Charizard never got it because they were merely starters. The Hoenn remake doesn't change anything, I'm pretty sure the roster was finalized a while ago, but then again I'm not sure if Sakurai knew about the games development before the roster was finalized.

Morbi

Scavenger

Yes; we have had Pokemon and Zelda both receive more than 4 character representatives.

Commander Claus

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4382-1975-7034
Yes; we have had Pokemon and Zelda both receive more than 4 character representatives.
Swampert is going to be in because Stealth Rocks. :troll:

Technically Zelda, if you count Zelda and Sheik separate characters.
Same applies to Pokémon. Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Chariard could count as separate characters, pushing the maximum character limit to six.
Oh, right I suppose that is true. Guess I didn't think about that considering the official version they shared a selection portrait.

Morbi

Scavenger
Technically Mewtwo is a veteran not a newcomer.

But I do agree with you. As much as I love Pokemon I don't think smash needs any more representatives from it. And If there was to be another one then that spot should go to Mewtwo in my opinion.

Scepetile's chances are really low. This thing about that there needs to be a grass starter to complete the trio sounds abit far fetched, Greninja and Charizard never got it because they were merely starters. The Hoenn remake doesn't change anything, I'm pretty sure the roster was finalized a while ago, but then again I'm not sure if Sakurai knew about the games development before the roster was finalized.
I allude to Mewtwo in that context for a few reasons; the first, Mewtwo is most likely out of any veteran to receive a move-set overhaul by the preponderance of the evidence. The second reason is that the most accurate term to describe Mewtwo is "returning veteran" which is applicable to everyone not a newcomer. The other reason is that many have not played Melee, as such, he will essentially be a newcomer to them. Another reason, we do not know if we are going to get the same Mewtwo, for all we know, we could get Femtwo or Mega Mewtwo Y, you never know. Lastly, he is still a newcomer by definition; however, every other character not announced would also be a newcomer by definition. So that aspect is immaterial.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Oh, right I suppose that is true. Guess I didn't think about that considering the official version they shared a selection portrait.
I use to consider Zelda/Sheik and Pokémon Trainer as one character. But now I realize that they take just as much time to develop as any other character. I'm still going to miss switching. . .

D

Deleted member

Which could make her low priority again.
The point is it that even if Jigglypuff is low priority, he does have the advantage of being so easy to make. This is what likely saved him in Brawl and what will probably get him to return for this game.

Morbi

Scavenger
The point is it that even if Jigglypuff is low priority, he does have the advantage of being so easy to make. This is what likely saved him in Brawl and what will probably get him to return for this game.
Not only that; but Jigglypuff is actually one of the more unique characters in the game with mechanics like the shield or sing/rest. She has a diverse play-style that has been present for 15 years, she isn't going anywhere just because people don't like her.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Where's all this evidence for Mewtwo? I just don't see it.
+Pokemon characters are chosen based on "what's hot".

+Mewtwo has been heavily promoted for X/Y and has even gotten a new anime special dedicated to it.

+Is the most requested character worldwide

Almost everything is in Mewtwo's favor.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
Precisely (I was just using your post as a template, I wasn't meaning to direct any negative connotations at you). When I first joined Smashboards, I wasn't comfortable supporting Mewtwo; I am a hipster, as such, I do not like supporting mainstream characters, but the incompetence of the majority of speculators honestly makes Mewtwo seem like an unexpected choice. If, one year ago, I told myself that one day Mewtwo and Ridley would be interpreted as "surprise" characters... I obviously would not have believed myself.

I now feel comfortable supporting blatantly obvious candidates like Mewtwo and Ridley; funny how that is.
LOL old you reminds me of current me. :p

Also if Sceptile is considered likely, I guess every other possible 3rd gen rep is. So guys, if you had to choose any 3rd gen rep, who would it be? Mine Gardevoir, that was actually my favourite pokemon in that gen.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Puff is pretty much expected to return due the reasons above. But personally I want is her gone in favour of a better balanced Mewtwo because to be blunt, that character had next to no reason for being in 64.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace

Also if Sceptile is considered likely, I guess every other possible 3rd gen rep is. So guys, if you had to choose any 3rd gen rep, who would it be? Mine Gardevoir, that was actually my favourite pokemon in that gen.
Well Sceptile is considered likely cause we already have a fire pokemon (charizard) and a water pokemon (Greninja) and both are from different generations... and even more now that there's going to be a remake of Pokemon Ruby and Saphiro

Edit: Am i the only one that prefer Grovyle over Sceptile D: ?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Where's all this evidence for Mewtwo? I just don't see it.
+ Most requested character in all regions
+ One of the most popular Pokemon in general
+ Planned in all previous games
+ Playable previously
+ Notable role in X/Y
+ Used currently in promotion, used in promotion when the roster was being decided
+ Sakurai noted how he was being "considered"

Seems pretty unlikely, at least to me, that Sakurai would voluntarily raise how a character was being considered if they weren't going to end up playable, considering statements like that from Sakurai are very few and far between, whereas he usually opts for something more vague, and less definitive (yes, even more vague and less definitive than "he's being considered").

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I see Sceptile as a bit more likely now than before, but still only as likely as Genesect was before his disconfirmation.
I'm sorry, when was Genesect disconfirmed?

And I find Sceptile and Blaziken almost tied.
Blaziken's popularity surpasses Sceptile's by a long shot.
But Sceptile represents an unrepresented type, while both of Blaziken's types are represented.

Morbi

Scavenger
Evidence for Mewtwo:
1. Mewtwo is one of the most prominent Pokemon; he is obviously the most prevalent legendary to appear in the franchise lore as well. Fun fact, he is the first Pokemon to appear in the Pokemon opening.
2. This is an aspect of notion one, but Mewtwo has made the most major appearances in Pokemon movies, he has appeared as a main character in 3. The most recent being: Genesect the Legend Awakened which was released right around when many believe the roster to be finalized.
3. Mewtwo's Mega Evolution was the first to be revealed, this alludes to his marketing importance, Gamefreak clearly understands that he is a fan-favorite.
4. Mewtwo is the most requested character for Smash in general; requests don't yield much on their own, but they are a good indicator of popularity.
5. Sakurai has actually addressed Mewtwo, he was one of the only characters Sakurai has ever gone out of his way to mention. We might discern this as interest in the character.
6. Speaking of interest in the character, Mewtwo was planned for every iteration of Smash, obviously outside circumstances prevented two of those appearances, nevertheless, his demand is ever so present.
7. Mewtwo was almost finished in Brawl according to the code, as such, we should objectively treat him as though he was a Melee veteran. He is just as safe as any other Melee veteran. Mewtwo was to be included from Melee to Brawl, there was LITERALLY nothing going for him, but he was still planned. As of current, from Brawl to Smash 4, he is the overt marketing Pokemon.
8. Pokemon Origins; it was evidence for solo Charizard, which happened, it was something I advocated day in and day out. Mewtwo was a big part of this promotional special.
9. He returns as a primary legendary in Pokemon X and Y; people used to argue that Lucario's Mega Evolution didn't matter, but it obviously did. Mewtwo is in his traditional pose in a cave. Something iconic to his character in regards to the game. This promotes the best selling 3DS title.
10. No other Pokemon is as important or unique, there are no more ideal choices. He is the only missing piece, a piece that was never intended to be missing. The priority list is not stagnant. Believe it or not, things change in 6 years. Clearly, for Mewtwo, things have changed for the better. His staggering importance is just as observable as it was when he was in his prime.

Edit- He also follows Sakurai's arbitrary criteria. He is unique, he will probably sell copies, etc.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

I agree, if I could have any 3rd generation representative, it would be Gardevoir.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Y'know what would be the best solution to all of this?

. . . . . . . . .

Pokken Fighters

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Puff is pretty much expected to return due the reasons above. But personally I want is her gone in favour of a better balanced Mewtwo because to be blunt, that character had next to no reason for being in 64.
Jigglypuff actually had a lot of reasons to be in Smash 64!

There were only 4 real candidates for Smash 64: Pikachu for obvious reasons, Jigglypuff for it's repeated comedic value as it always appeared throughout the first anime season getting mad that no one paid enough attention to it and then putting them all to sleep, Meowth as he represented the evil group Team Rocket and lastly Mewtwo who was regarded as the most powerful Pokemon at that time and he's creations explained Team Rocket's goals. Jigglypuff ultimately beat the other 2 out for the spot due to software limitations and being easy to program by taking Kirby's model but it had reasons for consideration.

It's not like Jigglypuff was some random choice that didn't deserve it at that time. I can understand if you don't like a certain character but don't act like it was never popular.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
In regards to the remakes having an impact on Smash...

I would think that if they did, we would have seen some new pokeball pokemon from Hoenn introduced. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we have. And going by Greninja's trailer, we've seen all of them.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
While I am getting excited for the new Hoenn remakes, I'm bent on the opinion that they have no merit for any playable characters, PotD's talking about pokeball Pokemon appearances perhaps, but nobody from Gen 3 will be playable. As far as Pokemon, I stand on a platform with one plank: Jigglypuff, end of story.

Morbi

Scavenger

I would think that if they did, we would have seen some new pokeball pokemon from Hoenn introduced. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we have. And going by Greninja's trailer, we've seen all of them.
We haven't necessarily seen all of the Pokeball Pokemon though; he could have been saving them in anticipation for the confirmation.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

There were only 4 real candidates for Smash 64: Pikachu for obvious reasons, Jigglypuff for it's repeated comedic value as it always appeared throughout the first anime season getting mad that no one paid enough attention to it and then putting them all to sleep, Meowth as he represented the evil group Team Rocket and lastly Mewtwo who was regarded as the most powerful Pokemon at that time and he's creations explained Team Rocket's goals. Jigglypuff ultimately beat the other 2 out for the spot due to software limitations and being easy to program by taking Kirby's model but it had reasons for consideration.

It's not like Jigglypuff was some random choice that didn't deserve it at that time. I can understand if you don't like a certain character but don't act like it was never popular.
Only reason she was added was that she was easier to develop with Kirby as a blueprint, although the anime may have had some influence.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm sorry, when was Genesect disconfirmed?

And I find Sceptile and Blaziken almost tied.
Blaziken's popularity surpasses Sceptile's by a long shot.
But Sceptile represents an unrepresented type, while both of Blaziken's types are represented.
I wasn't expecting Genesect but when was him disconfirmed?
Wasn't he in Charizard's trailer with Zoroark?

Last edited:

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
@ Morbi Morbi

The way I see it, Gamefreak only brought back Mewtwo to lure in the older generation of Pokemon players back into the game, same reason they only gave the Gen1 starters a Mega-Evo. I really don't see them using him again from this point on, and since Gamefreak influences pokemon additions to smash I doubt they would push for him all that much.

As far as popularity goes, Charizard beats Mewtwo hands down. In this regard I think Charizard takes the cake for Pokemon included due to popularity.

People always bring up the fact that Mewtwo was planned before, but at the end of the day the fact that matters is that he didn't make it in. For some reason or another Sakurai always puts him in the back of the production line. Which to me seems to be an indicator that he doesn't much care for him. Also if they (Sakurai, Gamefreak and Nintendo) thought that Mewtwo would be such a big copy seller in regards to the Smash franchise, they would've prioritized him in Brawl.

For me, the final nail in the Poke-coffin was the greninja trailer. Greninja's charge attack was an obvious misdirection intended to make people think it was Mewtwo, and it worked; just look at all the reaction videos on youtube as people clamor for Mewtwo before being surprised.

Look, I'm not anti-Mewtwo. I would be very glad to see him in the game (especially instead of Lucario), but I just don't think he's as likely as people hype him up to be.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace

Naaa i don't think so, we already have enough Hoenn pokemons and it makes more sense to spend time adding new generation pokemons than old generation pokemons even if they are going to add a new character of that generation cause... they already have many pokemons that represent that generation.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805

What? I was never disregarding the fact she was popular. It just seems to me that Puff being in because of her simple design is her only saving grace. And if they we're choosing a Pokemon character due to the anime, Meowth would've been the better choice for him being a much more recurring character in the anime moreso than Puff.

Morbi

Scavenger
@ Morbi Morbi

The way I see it, Gamefreak only brought back Mewtwo to lure in the older generation of Pokemon players back into the game, same reason they only gave the Gen1 starters a Mega-Evo. I really don't see them using him again from this point on, and since Gamefreak influences pokemon additions to smash I doubt they would push for him all that much.

As far as popularity goes, Charizard beats Mewtwo hands down. In this regard I think Charizard takes the cake for Pokemon included due to popularity.

People always bring up the fact that Mewtwo was planned before, but at the end of the day the fact that matters is that he didn't make it in. For some reason or another Sakurai always puts him in the back of the production line. Which to me seems to be an indicator that he doesn't much care for him. Also if they (Sakurai, Gamefreak and Nintendo) thought that Mewtwo would be such a big copy seller in regards to the Smash franchise, they would've prioritized him in Brawl.

For me, the final nail in the Poke-coffin was the greninja trailer. Greninja's charge attack was an obvious misdirection intended to make people think it was Mewtwo, and it worked; just look at all the reaction videos on youtube as people clamor for Mewtwo before being surprised.

Look, I'm not anti-Mewtwo. I would be very glad to see him in the game (especially instead of Lucario), but I just don't think he's as likely as people hype him up to be.
Which would indicate? Might it be possible that people would purchase a game with Mewtwo in it? I feel as though you comprehend the reason, you have just come to a different conclusion (which was that Sakurai wouldn't put in Mewtwo for the same reason that Gamefreak did). How did you come to this conclusion? It certainly wasn't with any logical reasoning.

This is true; however, it is also entirely irrelevant. All Pokemon with the exception of Jigglypuff and Pichu were chosen based on popularity. Not just Charizard.

That proverbial "nail in the coffin" is actually one of the predominant reasons I find him to be extremely likely. Someone put up a comparison picture, in that trailer, Greninja was missing his webbed fingers and his pelvic fin. That trailers intent was to incite suspicions about Mewtwo, purposeful ambiguity, similar to Ridley. The purpose was not to de-confirmed him.

Good, if you would like to see him in the game, you are going to be excited. He is the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom