• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
There is zero evidence for that to be the case though.

Could he do it? Sure. Nothing pointing towards it though.
I don't think that's quite true, either. If Sakurai just revealed Ridley as only the boss he was hinted as, it'd be underwhelming and hurt the hype for the game. I'm 100% convinced that Other M Ridley is a boss of the Pyrosphere, as well. I don't think Sakurai would manipulate gameplay just to tease us. That all being said, and because I can't imagine Sakurai doing something to hurt our hype for the game, that leaves us with only the option of having Ridley as both playable and a boss. Naturally, I can't guarantee it's going to happen, but not only do I strongly think it will, but I also believe that I have a good reason for thinking so. Other people may disagree, but this is my honest opinion.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't think that's quite true, either. If Sakurai just revealed Ridley as only the boss he was hinted as, it'd be underwhelming and hurt the hype for the game. I'm 100% convinced that Other M Ridley, as well. I don't think Sakurai would manipulate gameplay just to tease us. That all being said, and because I can't imagine Sakurai doing something to hurt our hype for the game, that leaves us with only the option of having Ridley as both playable and a boss. Naturally, I can't guarantee it's going to happen, but not only do I strongly think it will, but I also believe that I have a good reason for thinking so. Other people may disagree, but this is my honest opinion.
I think you're overestimating the impact Ridley has on this game.

What about the rest of the characters he shot down? Doesn't that hurt hype for supporters as well? People will lose hype no matter what characters get disconfirmed for this game. I highly doubt Ridley is a special case to the point that Sakurai would put time and effort into purposely trolling. He isn't the most wanted newcomer (that would go to Mewtwo, K.Rool close behind). Ridley was specifically hinted at in the "Boss Characters" section, which also contained Yellow Devil.

I'm not telling you to give up hope. But I wouldn't consider Ridley some shoe-in character. Nobody is.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Does Nintendo have any heavyweight female characters that'd fit for smash?
I can't think of any.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
That's a really hard one. Mostly because most female characters in games, not just Nintendo, are usually classifed as light weight orf average weight. I can't think of a clear example off the top of my head. I mean you could possibly make a character with little set attributes do that. Maybe like Palutena who doesn't really seem to have a canon weight class other then simply being relatively tall at least in comparison to other KI characters by making her attacks hit harder. Though in the fight in uprising you can actually get a game over by hitting her too many times because she doesn't have alot of HP so that still a bit of a strench.

Technically speaking, Samus in her suit should be the heaviest though there seems to be some variation in regards to that.

... yeah I've got nothing define.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Out of curiosity, but was I the only person on this planet to have actually watched the Smash Nintendo Direct? Because I'm starting to think so.

Gune

Smash Lord
We already have Rosalina, she's heavyweight in Mario Kart, so she's heavyweight in Smash
Wasn't rosalina light to medium in MK7?
Out of curiosity, but was I the only person on this planet to have actually watched the Smash Nintendo Direct? Because I'm starting to think so.
What do you mean? Was there another one or something?

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Expect she already been described as light weight by Sakurai in Smash. It doesn't sound like her weight class in Mario Kart will match her Smash variation.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think it's just more that she's a tall invidiual by far compared to other females in the series and when your standing on the ground or on a vechicle you have your full weight on the ground. While in Smash she is utilizing gravity and not putting her full weight on the ground. At least that the only logic I can apply to why her smash and other variation are different.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Palutena could work as any weight, honestly.
More then likely because she has never been defined in any specific way in this regards. It would make for a more unique additional character then another light weight magic user.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Does Nintendo have any heavyweight female characters that'd fit for smash?
I can't think of any.
Well, there's Samus, but other than that. . .
No? Why do you say that?

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
We already have Rosalina, she's heavyweight in Mario Kart, so she's heavyweight in Smash
Sakurai stated that Rosalina would be a lightweight fighter. We just don't know how light she'll be.

You see, Diddy was confirmed to be a lightweight in Brawl, but he's actually one of the heavier lightweights in that game, outweighing Peach. Who's to say that Rosalina may be a heavier lightweight herself?

It should also be noted that Yoshi is treated as a heavyweight in Smash Bros., despite being treated as a lightweight or middleweight in the Mario spin-offs.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Sakurai stated that Rosalina would be a lightweight fighter. We just don't know how light she'll be.

You see, Diddy was confirmed to be a lightweight in Brawl, but he's actually one of the heavier lightweights in that game, outweighing Peach. Who's to say that Rosalina may be a heavier lightweight herself?

It should also be noted that Yoshi is treated as a heavyweight in Smash Bros., despite being treated as a lightweight or middleweight in the Mario spin-offs.
Yeah, but 8 feet tall and lightweight don't mix.
Nope can't change it now rosalina is actually fat, that's the new head cannon now.
Rosalina is not fat, that's the most ridiculous argument I've seen all day

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I think you're overestimating the impact Ridley has on this game.

What about the rest of the characters he shot down? Doesn't that hurt hype for supporters as well? People will lose hype no matter what characters get disconfirmed for this game. I highly doubt Ridley is a special case to the point that Sakurai would put time and effort into purposely trolling. He isn't the most wanted newcomer (that would go to Mewtwo, K.Rool close behind). Ridley was specifically hinted at in the "Boss Characters" section, which also contained Yellow Devil.

I'm not telling you to give up hope. But I wouldn't consider Ridley some shoe-in character. Nobody is.
I really don't think I'm overestimating his impact. Sakurai himself seems to be acknowledging it by not simply showing off the boss hazard.

It's isn't necessarily the disconfirmation of Ridley that would hurt the hype, but more so the fact that he was exactly what he was hinted at. That's boring. Sakurai would purposely troll like this because it would generate tons of hype in the long run. The fact that he was in the "Boss Characters" section, I think, is an insignificant fact.

D

Deleted member

Maybe....the reason why Ridley isn't being included as a character...

....is because Sakurai has another giant lizard thing in mind as a character. noitsnotgodzilla

G-Bowser, or as you know him, Giga Bowser. :troll:
Actually being somewhat serious with this.

We know that Transformations are being scrapped/seperated, save for cases like Giga Mac and Mega Lucario, who directly use the movesets of the normal states.
"But wait a minute, Golden. Doesn't Giga Bowser use Bowser's moves too?" Yep, or at least he did. Back when Bowser was like, as Snake put it, "a cheap movie monster".
Now that Bowser is more like his modern Mario franchise self in posture and mannerisms, Giga Bowser doesn't really fit the new style. With that in mind, Bowser is likely to get a new Final Smash.

Just look at what I mean with this lovely example made by Angelglory:

Upright G-Bowser has to be one of the freakiest things I have ever seen.

"Doesn't Giga Mac have a different idle than Little Mac?" That he does. However, Giga Mac using Mac's moves doesn't seem that ridiculous in concept.

.....now look at this:

This is Bowser's new dropkick Forward Smash. Think it suits the monstrosity that is G-Bowser? Didn't think so.

And, bear in mind that G-Bowser was originally not Bowser, but a mutated giant Bowser copy.
So, we're getting G-Bowser as his own character retaining Bowser's more bestial style from previous Smash games. Maybe even with a return of the Koopa Klaw.
You've heard it here first. :awesome:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Maybe....the reason why Ridley isn't being included as a character...

....is because Sakurai has another giant lizard thing in mind as a character. noitsnotgodzilla

G-Bowser, or as you know him, Giga Bowser. :troll:
Actually being somewhat serious with this.

We know that Transformations are being scrapped/seperated, save for cases like Giga Mac and Mega Lucario, who directly use the movesets of the normal states.
"But wait a minute, Golden. Doesn't Giga Bowser use Bowser's moves too?" Yep, or at least he did. Back when Bowser was like, as Snake put it, "a cheap movie monster".
Now that Bowser is more like his modern Mario franchise self in posture and mannerisms, Giga Bowser doesn't really fit the new style. With that in mind, Bowser is likely to get a new Final Smash.

Just look at what I mean with this lovely example made by Angelglory:

Upright G-Bowser has to be one of the freakiest things I have ever seen.

"Doesn't Giga Mac have a different idle than Little Mac?" That he does. However, Giga Mac using Mac's moves doesn't seem that ridiculous in concept.

.....now look at this:

This is Bowser's new dropkick Forward Smash. Think it suits the monstrosity that is G-Bowser? Didn't think so.

And, bear in mind that G-Bowser was originally not Bowser, but a mutated giant Bowser copy.
So, we're getting G-Bowser as his own character retaining Bowser's more bestial style from previous Smash games. Maybe even with a return of the Koopa Klaw.
Oh man...
Giga Drop Kicks. :bee:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Heavy-weight females? This is a topic one should tread lightly on... I do know the exact character I would have loved to see, however.

[collapse=]
Damn M$.[/collapse]

If only...

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I trust Mario Kart more than Sakurai.

And MK says Rosalina is as heavy as a giant ape. Dat big gurl.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
That's what I'm saying though, GameFreak had to plan what they wanted to do with the starters, they don't know if it'll catch on but they just cross their fingers. They try to take the smart route, with Lucario it was a cool talking Pokemon similar to Mewtwo and people ate it up, that one worked out. Zoroark was meant to be the second coming of Lucario but he failed despite his marketing, that's just one example of GameFreak pushing only for it to not go through. Now they're pushing Greninja, which was a smart choice as the mindset of most people is InstantAwesomeJustAddNinja. Ash having a Froakie was just an example, they plan out the anime months in advance, it takes a long time just to make a single episode and you can guarantee that they have the entire season planned out already.
Sure, you can hope that the scenario you want to pan out does so, but it will not always be the case, Zoroark proves that. Guessing and then hoping that it sells is poor market planning as it may not work in your favor and then you're stuck with a bad product. Another thing to consider is that before his reveal in Smash, GF has shown no indication that they care about Greninja more then the other Pokemon. He wasn't pushed early like Blaziken, he isn't getting a larger role in any of the upcoming episodes nor the movie, and his current advertising places him no higher then Delphox or Chesnaught. If they initially made Greninja to be the "next big thing," they haven't really shown it, which makes me think that it's more likely that they chose him because of his newfound popularity rather then intentionally making him as the new "Lucario."

Also, you still failed to rebut my point, Ash had a Treecko that wasn't the most popular of its generation and yet he was caught ahead of Torchic. If the writers were trying to push the next big thing, they would've went with the already massively popular chicken rather then the potentially popular gecko and yet they chose differently. If that happened back in Hoenn, what's to say that they made the decision with Froakie because they expected it to be popular? Particularly when Fennekin was the much bigger hit ahead of its compatriots at the time they were making the decision?

Another thing, in this interview, Sakurai says this:

For example, X and Y are coming out – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet, but we look at the animated series or movies and anything like that and again, find out which ones are going to be central to any of conversations in Pokemon going forward.
At this point, Sakurai implies that he and GF had not come to a conclusion of choosing which Pokemon to use, which could mean that he waited to see which Pokemon would hit it off before he made the decision.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Sure, you can hope that the scenario you want to pan out does so, but it will not always be the case, Zoroark proves that. Guessing and then hoping that it sells is poor market planning as it may not work in your favor and then you're stuck with a bad product. Another thing to consider is that before his reveal in Smash, GF has shown no indication that they care about Greninja more then the other Pokemon. He wasn't pushed early like Blaziken, he isn't getting a larger role in any of the upcoming episodes nor the movie, and his current advertising places him no higher then Delphox or Chesnaught. If they initially made Greninja to be the "next big thing," they haven't really shown it, which makes me think that it's more likely that they chose him because of his newfound popularity rather then intentionally making him as the new "Lucario."

Also, you still failed to rebut my point, Ash had a Treecko that wasn't the most popular of its generation and yet he was caught ahead of Torchic. If the writers were trying to push the next big thing, they would've went with the already massively popular chicken rather then the potentially popular gecko and yet they chose differently. If that happened back in Hoenn, what's to say that they made the decision with Froakie because they expected it to be popular? Particularly when Fennekin was the much bigger hit ahead of its compatriots at the time they were making the decision?

Another thing, in this interview, Sakurai says this:

At this point, Sakurai implies that he and GF had not come to a conclusion of choosing which Pokemon to use, which could mean that he waited to see which Pokemon would hit it off before he made the decision.
So would this mean the roster was never finalized during the summer?

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Here is my dream Roster guys!

Hmm, I like the picture you chose for the "Random" slot; it does an excellent job of representing Nintendo itself. I always thought it would be cool for the Pokémon Ditto to appear in the Random slot, but this really takes the cake. I would definitely love to see that instead of the blank white box in Brawl.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I'm pretty sure Sakurai made Rosalina lightweight for balance. Palutena could be heavy or light depending on her attacks. I personally see her as Link or Samus weight.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Yeah, but 8 feet tall and lightweight don't mix.
Mewtwo was also tall and lightweight. It did not end well for him.

Don't Bowser's Feet grow a bit for his side smash? That would be terrifying on mah gigga.
I'm certain that the people who have watched and analyze the direct in its whole are in the vast minority.
For example, i'm sure someone who reads this post did not notice that a dragoon part appears behind sonic when he's fighting mario on the halberd.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom