• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Chorus Men seems like a good choice for Rhythm Heaven. How do you showcase rhythm in Smash and distinguish them from other characters that use combos and flow of battle?

Well, three characters is a start. Give the character(s) the option for a second and third attack after nearly every input. Like Link's Smash or Snake's forward tilt.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I didn't really realize that, and I'm sorry for anyone that was a recipient of my anger (AKA Kenith).

I'm just getting ticked off in response to people hating on "a" because it isn't "b" or as predictable as "c".
You're getting ticked off over nothing.
Kenith wasn't hating on anything really other than the prospect of "this will happen because the leak says so" (a position I find to be hoopla since it implies the leak is fake), and you turned it into some sort of an assault on the entire Rhythm Heaven franchise out of nowhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Let's not get too heated here.

I think part of it is that many people have already resigned themselves to the fact we're probably going to be getting Mii, and they've gotten used to the idea even if they're not a fan of it, while Chorus Men is a newer and less inevitable notion to wrap your head around.

If WFT was yet to be revealed but was on Sal's list, she'd get a lot of hate too...
True. Which is interesting as she turned out to be very awesome.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
This by itself really doesn't contribute to the discussion, please try and have your posts contain at least some substance. Thanks~
Well, it just irks me when people say that a franchise doesn't "deserve" however many characters. Like what is the metric being used here?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I serve... a higher authority

B Geno Whirl - Geno throws a large disk of white light at his enemy. If you hold down B you'll be able to not only charge your attack, but you can aim the disk whichever direction you please

B > Double Punch - Geno's hands detach from his body, and go flying at the enemy. This move is very quick and acts as a moving shield, sort of like Mario's FLUDD. You can use this to defend yourself from blasts, or push an enemy further away from the stage while they're attempting to recover.

B ^ Star teleport - Geno reverts to his true form, a small shimmering star, and teleports. Think of a much faster, but much smaller ranged version of Farore's wind.

B V Geno Blast - Geno turns to the camera and folds his arms. If he's attacked Geno will wink, and raise his hands into the air. From here a large blue beam of light will rain down on both him, and the enemy. This move acts like a counter, and is good for KO'ing opponents

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Mother anyone?

I mean, we have 2 Mother characters yet we still have 2 DK and Metroid characters, series which sell a lot more than Mother.

I used to use sales as an argument, but quite frankly that argument was buried a while back.
I do think sales have an impact.

Sales are a direct indicator of the popularity of a franchise. Mario, Pokémon and Zelda have become the big 3 of Nintendo only due to their sales.

I'm not saying that sales are the be-all, end-all factor, but they do have some influence.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Speaking of the Wii games, one awesome idea I saw from Wariofan was that if the Miis were in, both the Miis and WFT could have had their series representation been just "Wii."
Yeah, that would have been preferable to me. Instead it looks like there are separate symbols for Wii Fit, Find Mii, Pilotwings (which is more understandable, but still), and for Miis if they're in.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yeah, that would have been preferable to me. Instead it looks like there are separate symbols for Wii Fit, Find Mii, Pilotwings (which is more understandable, but still), and for Miis if they're in.
What would it be? The DS symbol from the Pictochat stage?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Or, if Miis aren't in, then each series will be representing itself and not have to be part of some large universe that's tied together by the Miis.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Oh boy, another Geno discussion...

Ok, I'll bite. I'm pretty sure Geno will not be playable in ANY super smash bros game. Sakurai has stated that he wants only well known and popular third party characters, I do not remember seeing Geno being more well known or popular as other third party characters such as Sonic, PacMan, or even Shadow mind you. Geno doesn't even represent his own company Square Enix very well either. And no, his cameo in Superstar Saga means absolutely nothing because they said in the credits of that game that Geno is property of Square Enix.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Oh boy, another Geno discussion...

Ok, I'll bite. I'm pretty sure Geno will not be playable in ANY super smash bros game. Sakurai has stated that he wants only well known and popular third party characters, I do not remember seeing Geno being more well known or popular as other third party characters such as Sonic, PacMan, or even Shadow mind you. Geno doesn't even represent his own company Square Enix very well either.
What do you mean "another" Geno discussion?

Geno can rep Square Enix fine, because unlike some other characters involved, Geno has been on an adventure with Mario and co.
Also take into consideration how popular he was around Brawl, which made Sakurai aware of him at least.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
What do you mean "another" Geno discussion?

Geno can rep Square Enix fine, because unlike some other characters involved, Geno has been on an adventure with Mario and co.
Also take into consideration how popular he was around Brawl, which made Sakurai aware of him at least.
Well who would be the mascot for Square Enix anyway? I'm pretty sure Sakurai ignored him because he obviously wasn't Square Enix' mascot. If we got a Square Enix rep, I'd see Sora getting in first to be honest.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Pikachu: Of course being Pokemon's mascot is obvious but it was also the only Pokemon to have it's own voice actor.
Lucario: According to Pokemon canon, Lucario was the FIRST Pokemon to ever Mega-evolve.
Charizard: For the first time ever, X and Y allowed you to choose 2 starter Pokemon. One of the new Gen 6 starters and one of the original Gen 1 starters, but Charizard has something that Blastoise and Venasaur don't have and that's 2 Mega-evolutions, with one of those being the hoped for Fire/Dragon typing that most fans thought Charizard should have been from the start.
Greninja: There was a time when Froakie was considered the lesser of the Gen 6 starters, but after the final evolutions leaked quite a number of people jumped on the Froakie bandwagon. Not to forget that the competitive scene fell in love with Greninja after learning of it's hidden ability Protean. So Greninja represents all of the new Gen 6 Pokemon as the fan favorite.

Now if we look at that list we see that we covered: Pokemon's mascot, Mega-Evolution, and new Gen 6 Pokemon. There is only one MAJOR thing left to be represented from X and Y and that is FAIRY typing! Let's rewind to E3 2013 when Pokemon was up... the announcer says, "And, Introducing a new type of Pokemon...Fairy type!" Then we see 4 Pokemon confirmed to have the new typing: Sylveon, Gardevoir, Marill and...JIGGLYPUFF!!! Jigglypuff was the first of a few to be revealed to have the Fairy typing, and it just so happens that the new Smash gets shown as well...coincidence? Probably. But we all know Game Freak has a hand in what Pokemon are playable so you can say that this was a way to make Jigglypuff relevant again.

From this, I would say it's far more likely that Jigglypuff has priority over Mewtwo as Mewtwo doesn't represent something different from X and Y that's already being represented. Plus the fact that many characters are being reworked and I'm sure Jigglypuff will have a few new specials and smashes to show off the Fairy typing. I'm not saying Mewtwo won't be playable, but Jigglypuff literally has no reason to be cut this time around.
I can make up reasons why Pokemon are "important" as well, but it's easier to get right to the point.
Pikachu: Obvious, as you said, the mascot of Pokemon.
Lucario: Was highly advertised and became successful, is still highly advertised, Game Freak wouldn't want him removed.
Charizard: Most popular Pokemon, also happens to be highly advertised by X/Y, a no-brainer.
Greninja: As much as people would deny it, Greninja is highly likely to be the next big thing, and that's thanks to GameFreak. While it isn't overtly advertised at the moment, GameFreak had to make plans for it, one of the main points is that Ash has a Froakie in the anime, which instantly shoots it up. It isn't just coincidence, GameFreak/the Pokemon Co. have plans for Greninja and they pushed him to further that.

Now here's where Mewtwo and Jigglypuff fall into play, in an ideal world we would have both, and I'm still hoping we do. But Mewtwo has been highly advertised lately, and has even been hinted by Sakurai himself. Jigglypuff has veteran status, but that's the only thing going for her. You bring up the point of "fairy typing" (like others have), but that doesn't make any difference in the slightest. The only reason Jigglypuff will be in is because of her veteran status, not because she has a fresh coat of paint. Even so, there are other fairy type options, and the fairy type itself was never that heavily advertised compared to everything else in X/Y, it isn't as important as people make it out to be. Just singling out her type isn't a reason to include her, otherwise we'd have "obligatory grass starter," or just one of every type, Fairy isn't somehow more important than the rest.

I don't want Jiggs to leave either, and I'm not saying it's likely for her to get cut, I'm just being realistic. It's entirely possible for her to get the boot, the new fairy type isn't some saving grace, her status as a perfect attendee is the only thing she has.

Niala

Smash Ace
I'd just like to throw in that the less you know about a character, the more potential they have. Once you fine-tune details of a character they become specific and lose imagination, just because you're playing off what's already there instead of making it up yourself.

As such, I'm infinitely interested in what the Chorus Men might have to offer, should the leak be true. I can imagine loads of things a music based trio might offer that would be incredibly interesting, simply because I have no real knowledge of their limitations.

Also as much as I'd love to see Geno make a cameo, I just don't see it happening. Not yet, anyway.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd also like to throw in that character parameters are a necessity for an All-Star crossover game based on fanservice. Going to an extreme end of the "the less you know about them, the more unique they can be" spectrum, we'd have an entire roster of OCs.

Morbi

Scavenger
I'd also like to throw in that character parameters are a necessity for an All-Star crossover game based on fanservice. Going to an extreme end of the "the less you know about them, the more unique they can be" spectrum, we'd have an entire roster of OCs.
I agree; we need both. That is what gives us a great balance. Certain characters that have their overt parameters and you can tell where the inspiration came from (such as Link, Zelda, Pokemon etc.), and characters with not much to go on, and as a result, they are interesting (Captain Falcon, Fox, etc.).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Major flaw with this statement, but if we had a roster full of OC material it wouldn't exactly be a crossover to begin with. It would instead be more comparable to stuff like Tekken and Guilty Gear.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Major flaw with this statement, but if we had a roster full of OC material it wouldn't exactly be a crossover to begin with. It would instead be more comparable to stuff like Tekken and Guilty Gear.
That was my intended point...a roster full of OCs, "unique" OCs but OCs nonetheless, wouldn't be an All-Star crossover, which Smash is.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I believe what BKupa is trying to say, is that the point of Smash is to fight as Nintendo All-Stars. If you want an actual fighting game, go play Tekken or something.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom