• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Graphics are a terrible reason for including or removing a character.
Fixed your grammatical error

Well,sometimes it can be a good thing. Who wants to see a 3D Custer from Custer's Revenge? I sure as hell don't.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Posting my roster again. The only cuts are Ivysaur and Squirtle. Might be a bit boring to some, as I think it leans on the safe side.

rosterr.png

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ganondorf was THE most suggested Zelda character before we got bombared with all those Zelda newcomers in Melee.

Cutting him would be extremely unwise.

Unless they give him a non-clone moveset,people will want innovation,then the demand for the Ghirahim switch will finally be upon us by the good old Supply and Demand. Gotta study your economics

Also,2004.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People were upset a character as random as G&W took up the last spot, much like how they were upset at ROB for a similar thing years later. Just as they'll do for Chorus Men, or maybe even another character this time around. I assume there was much tossing around of the word "undeserving" and such, though around Melee people were also upset at the abundance of clones...

And the fact that Ganondorf was a Captain Falcon clone.

In any case, the G&W hate wasn't graphics-based.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
G&W was one of my favorites in Melee and I never even heard of him at that time. Thank God he was pretty good in Brawl.
Oh and today's PotD reminded me of the final battle in Donkey Kong 64
King K. Rool confirmed.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Game And Watch is part of Nintendo's history, existing even before Mario himself! Mr Game And Watch will never leave Super Smash Bros! The only thing I'm worried about is his victory music.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
People were upset a character as random as G&W took up the last spot, much like how they were upset at ROB for a similar thing years later. Just as they'll do for Chorus Men, or maybe even another character this time around. I assume there was much tossing around of the word "undeserving" and such, though around Melee people were also upset at the abundance of clones...

And the fact that Ganondorf was a Captain Falcon clone.

In any case, the G&W hate wasn't graphics-based.
Funny thing is, from an objective point of view, both of these characters represents major important parts of Nintendo history, meaning it made no sense to say they are somehow "undeserving."

As lame as the Miis are, I feel they would fit the modern equivalent of Mr. Game and Watch for this franchise in terms of representing a majorly important part of Nintendo history.

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
R.O.B > G&W :troll:
I'm sure everyone feels the same way.:awesome:

On a more serious note, I highly doubt he would get cut, sure I was pissed to the max when he was in Melee but I've warmed to him. His 2D gimmick is one of unique things I have seen in Smash Bros. I would be shocked if he was cut.

R.O.B, I don't really care about. I know a lot of people love the guy but I just can't get behind him. I think his time is done TBH.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Funny thing is, from an objective point of view, both of these characters represents major important parts of Nintendo history, meaning it made no sense to say they are somehow "undeserving."

As lame as the Miis are, I feel they would fit the modern equivalent of Mr. Game and Watch for this franchise in terms of representing a majorly important part of Nintendo history.
Alot of people have issues seeing beyond their own bubble for a lack of a better term. People get caught up in their view on a situation which drives much of the hate towards certain characters and usually try to justify it to themselves. I'm not the biggest fan of G&W or the Miis but I do at least understand what makes their presense quite possible.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
People complaining about certain characters stealing slots motivates me to use them, so I can enjoy the salty tears that their precious Shrek didn't get on the roster.

Chorus Kids won't be the exception to this.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't like the Chorus Men, but at least I won't be dumb enough to accuse them of "stealing" anyone's slot. Same thing with the Miis.

Alot of people have issues seeing beyond their own bubble for a lack of a better term. People get caught up in their view on a situation which drives much of the hate towards certain characters and usually try to justify it to themselves. I'm not the biggest fan of G&W or the Miis but I do at least understand what makes their presense quite possible.
Funny thing is, I don't even necessarily consider Rhythm Heaven characters as inherently somehow "undeserving" as much as I just simply don't like the Chorus Men and find them to be lame.Despite that, I can appreciate the notion of expanding the potential playable pool beyond the "limitations" of obscurity and/or popularity as opposed to scraping the bottom of the barrel and including someone like Shrek and Goku.* Now those guys are truly examples of characters that doesn't deserve to be in.

At the very least, I'm just happy we didn't get someone stupid like a floating head or a freaking photorealistic dog.

*Dragon Ball's Goku, of course. Nintendo's Goku, on the other hand would actually be alright.

People complaining about certain characters stealing slots motivates me to use them, so I can enjoy the salty tears that their precious Shrek didn't get on the roster.

Chorus Kids won't be the exception to this.
Remember to use Pac-Man!:troll:

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Undeserving is such a weird word and is so utterly subjective to the point of becoming pretty meaningless as so much of is based on what games people have played and how they invidiually view the characters. Depending how they play out, characters that are viewed as undesersving could become desireable returning characters as we've seen in the past.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
G&W was one of my favorites in Melee and I never even heard of him at that time. Thank God he was pretty good in Brawl.
Oh and today's PotD reminded me of the final battle in Donkey Kong 64
King K. Rool confirmed.
Imagine K Rool being confirmed from jumping off from the lights

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Unless they give him a non-clone moveset,people will want innovation,then the demand for the Ghirahim switch will finally be upon us by the good old Supply and Demand. Gotta study your economics

Also,2004.
I remember when people used to say the same thing about Zant for Brawl. Ghirahim won't get in over Ganondorf (Alongside possibly, but not over) that would be like replacing Bowser with Petey Pirahna, or Dedede with Magolor.

Morbi

Scavenger
If Game & Watch gets cut, I'm actually gonna be mad. Thank god it will never happen.
If that day ever came; I honestly don't know what I would do, I really don't.

I remember when people used to say the same thing about Zant for Brawl. Ghirahim won't get in over Ganondorf (Alongside possibly, but not over) that would be like replacing Bowser with Petey Pirahna, or Dedede with Magolor.
Ganondorf is one of the safest veterans, right behind Captain Falcon, of course.

Undeserving is such a weird word and is so utterly subjective to the point of becoming pretty meaningless as so much of is based on what games people have played and how they invidiually view the characters. Depending how they play out, characters that are viewed as undesersving could become desireable returning characters as we've seen in the past.
Like Pichu, I thought he was really deserving, but everyone calls him a "troll" character.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Like Pichu, I thought he was really deserving, but everyone calls him a "troll" character.
Pichu is a character that doesn't seem deserving unless you look at what it represents, like

a) The second generation of Pokemon (which was a huge deal at the time)
b) The baby Pokemon introduced in that generation
c) Multiple Pokemon movies
d) A sidekick to Pikachu

Morbi

Scavenger
Pichu is a character that doesn't seem deserving unless you look at what it represents, like

a) The second generation of Pokemon (which was a huge deal at the time)
b) The baby Pokemon introduced in that generation
c) Multiple Pokemon movies
d) A sidekick to Pikachu
Pichu didn't represent any of those notions in my case; I just loved him for his unique mechanic and very small model, along with my enthusiasm for the character. I despise all electrical rodents aside from Pichu, so he was more of the Pikachu for me (mascot of Pokemon). Basically, he was more cute, so therefore, he was more prominent (subjectively).

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Pichu didn't represent any of those notions in my case; I just loved him for his unique mechanic and very small model, along with my enthusiasm for the character. I despise all electrical rodents aside from Pichu, so he was more of the Pikachu for me (mascot of Pokemon). Basically, he was more cute, so therefore, he was more prominent (subjectively).
So...

You like him because he's cute.

Morbi

Scavenger
So...

You like him because he's cute.
Not only is he cute, but he is one of the most fun characters in the game. He might be a clone, but the mechanic makes all the difference. There is nothing more satisfying than destroying your tryhard friends with such an adorable little creature. But yes, it is mostly because he is cute.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
For StarFox veterans(Because we only have one compatible newcomer to speak of.),I would choose Wolf over Falco(If there were only two). Mainly because Wolf is more unique in how I see it.

Also,his theme is pretty good (not that it has anything to do with chances),so what would be more satisfying then mauling people with your own theme?

Also,Quad City DJs : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pACurQe_2bM

Morbi

Scavenger
I agree; Wolf is the more ideal choice from a game-play perspective. He is, at the very most, a pseudo-clone that shares one move. Falco on the other hand, is a semi-clone. I also believe that Wolf is more likely from a character perspective as well, he was intended to be in Melee, but his aesthetics were too similar to Fox. Falco's specials could more easily be imputed to Wolf too. I don't think either are going anywhere, but Wolf is the clear choice. Falco only beats him in seniority, which should come second to game-play, I am certain that Sakurai would agree.

Morbi

Scavenger
I look like a ****ing idiot, but is this real? I found it on the internet.
No. Someone created that fake picture WAY back for the Pokemon X and Y reveal that never happened, in October.

I can't remember why it was fake, I think you can see Mario in the background or something.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Hah, I remember that one. Been awhile since I saw that one, I pretty sure it was prove fake a long time ago.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
@ J jaredthemighty
Fake. Mario is still shown in the Jumbotron.
This is a really old leak from October 2013, and a touch up of Jigg's model from Brawl.

Welcome to the boards, BTW.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Those rapid responses; I wish we were still that enthusiastic about discussing characters. There is only one character that I even care about any more, when I joined, I had hopes, expectations, and dreams... but now, I just want Black Shadow.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Those rapid responses; I wish we were still that enthusiastic about discussing characters. There is only one character that I even care about any more, when I joined, I had hopes, expectations, and dreams... but now, I just want Black Shadow.
I wish, but people are quick to ending them whenever it's not the popular character discussed. :p

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
Same here, if only as a way to give G-dorf his own moveset while keeping that Heavy Falcon set.
I REALLY hope that now that Nintendo seems to be listening to fans, they announce a brand new F-Zero game during their digital event, which would lead to a franchise revival and a shot at adding Black Shadow to Smash.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I would love to be that enthusiastic person, but I am intimidated by the torrent of Chroms, Chorus Men, Pacmans, Miis, and other inevitabilities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom