• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I find that to be very unlikely. The Miis are a huge part of Nintendo at this point, and have appeared in numerous titles ranging from sports and parties to racing and adventuring. Why should their symbol, which represents their series and universe, be limited to that of Find Mii? They've appeared in so much more, so giving them a symbol that only represents a single game they appeared in seems very odd.
the gear is odd.

what do you have to say about THAT?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
the gear is odd.

what do you have to say about THAT?
Well, I don't really know much about the Mega Man series, so I don't think I can properly answer that. However, considering that Mega Man is a robot, and his series is all about robots, it's not that odd, I think.

The Miis having the Find Mii crown as their symbol? That's odd because it doesn't encompass what the Miis are and what they've done. For a comparison, I think it would be like the Mario characters being represented by a kart symbol, or if the Pokemon characters were represented by, say, a Time Gear symbol. Does that make sense?

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
...And they're hyping up X as a big game. It seems they want Shulk's series to become one of Nintendo's bigger ones.
it's the about same amount of hype they had for Professor Layton: Azran Legacy if I recall.

It seems that they want Layton to become one of Nintendo's bigger series :troll:

Morbi

Scavenger
...And they're hyping up X as a big game. It seems they want Shulk's series to become one of Nintendo's bigger ones.
Is Shulk even in X? I have heard that he was, then I heard that he wasn't, then I heard that he MIGHT be. I have no idea what do believe. If Shulk is in the game, I am underestimating his chance.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Well, I don't really know much about the Mega Man series, so I don't think I can properly answer that. However, considering that Mega Man is a robot, and his series is all about robots, it's not that odd, I think.
well, it was odd for me, anyways.

The Miis having the Find Mii crown as their symbol? That's odd because it doesn't encompass what the Miis are and what they've done. For a comparison, I think it would be like the Mario characters being represented by a kart symbol. Does that make sense?
Makes more sense than if Miis were categorized under the Wii Fit logo.

Speaking of which, doesn't the Wii Fit logo confirm that there can be different logos of different parts of franchises? specifically the Wii franchise? Who knows, there might be one for Miis and Find Mii.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I wouldn't say they are pushing X at the moment, due to the fact that we're still in the middle of hyping Mario Kart 8 (>hyping) and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS. If they were pushing X, we should of seen a lot more footage and promotion for the game by now, but it seems like they're going to wait until there is leg room so it doesn't get drowned out by other things going on. In fact, I'd say the best option the game should get is being delayed till Spring 2015, so it doesn't clash with Super Smash Bros.

Also, the factor that this sort of game is getting greenlit is clearly because of Xenoblade Chronicles and how the potential for something massive was demonstrated by a relatively newly recruited company. So X is basically there to further expand on the premise, and Nintendo would be foolish to ignore that.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Can't see 50+ characters roster happening because Sakurai flat out said it isn't about character counts and 50 is more than enough.

Just curious what your prediction roster look like in less than 50 slots using the followings: 8x5, 7x6, 9x5, or 8x6.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Can't see 50+ characters roster happening because Sakurai flat out said it isn't about character counts and 50 is more than enough.

Just curious what your prediction roster look like in less than 50 slots using the followings: 8x5, 7x6, 9x5, or 8x6.
Brawl Roster = 39 characters
My SSB4 Prediction Roster = 54 characters

Boosting up the number of playable characters by 15 isn't that much.

Morbi

Scavenger
Maybe the art style doesn't fit with Snake, and he will be the only playable character.
Everyone else we've seen so far is just a really elaborate Assist Trophy.
Elaborate assist trophies with character pages? You have to try harder, friend.

What about just 50? You allude to 50+ and "less than 50" but there is no mention of the holy number that is 50.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Elaborate assist trophies with character pages? You have to try harder, friend.
They are still video game characters, these hey deserve their own character page.
The less iconic ones like Samurai Goroh, Andross, and Dr. Wright don't need a whole page.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
But Huff N. Puff is irrelevant! Kracko is much more relevant and important! We are also in dire need of another Kirby rep!
What's more important? Making sure Mario, Nintendo's flagship series, doesn't get less squares on the character select screen than Pokemon (Which would be stupid.), or letting Kirby, which, I'll have you know, does not need anymore representation, have another rep?
Don't count Huff N. Puff out just because he doesn't fill your character quota! He'd be extremely unique and very unexpected! Much more-so than Kracko! All the more reason to expect him! In fact, I bet he's being saved for E3!

Eh, I see no use in arguing about this any further. At the very least we can agree that clouds are a very important part of nature and deserve representation.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think the roster will have 50-53.

50 is only 11 newcomers if no cuts. 13 if ivysaur and squirtle are cut. either way not that much more.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
They are still video game characters, these hey deserve their own character page.
The less iconic ones like Samurai Goroh, Andross, and Dr. Wright don't need a whole page.
Better; I am starting to believe you.

What's more important? Making sure Mario, Nintendo's flagship series, doesn't get less squares on the character select screen than Pokemon (Which would be stupid.), or letting Kirby, which, I'll have you know, does not need anymore representation, have another rep?
Don't count Huff N. Puff out just because he doesn't fill your character quota! He'd be extremely unique and very unexpected! Much more-so than Kracko! All the more reason to expect him! In fact, I bet he's being saved for E3!

Eh, I see no use in arguing about this any further. At the very least we can agree that clouds are a very important part of nature and deserve representation.
Making sure Mario doesn't get less squares than Pokemon.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
@ Morbi Morbi I meant at least 50 (can be "50+" 0)

Sure, you can believe at least 50 but others found it unbelievable.

I want to see your prediction roster with less than 50

Just for the lolz...

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Makes more sense than if Miis were categorized under the Wii Fit logo.
Yes, but just because it makes more sense than an alternative doesn't mean it makes sense.

Besides, I doubt there's going to be a Find Mii stage on the Wii U, so the Find Mii symbol the Miis would have (in that case) would lose all meaning in that version of the game.

Speaking of which, doesn't the Wii Fit logo confirm that there can be different logos of different parts of franchises? specifically the Wii franchise? Who knows, there might be one for Miis and Find Mii.
True. But that doesn't change the fact that the Miis using the Find Mii symbol for their own doesn't make sense for who they are. A much more appropriate symbol would be something like a basic Mii silhouette, of just Mii. And considering how closely related the Find Mii stage is to the Miis, it could easily share either of those two symbols with the Miis and no one would question it. But it doesn't. The Find Mii stage has a symbol that definitely represents it and no other series. If the Miis were playable, why would it not have a symbol that the Miis could use? It's the closest thing to a home stage the Miis have, after all.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

Either this is someone who looks uncannily like Shulk, or this is Shulk.
The weird thing is that this fella hasn't been seen since the January 2013 Nintendo Direct.

Seems odd how they tease a character like this, and then are completely silent for more then a year.

Morbi

Scavenger
@ Morbi Morbi I meant at least 50 (can be "50+" 0)

Sure, you can believe at least 50 but others found it unbelievable.

I want to see your prediction roster with less than 50

Just for the lolz...
50+ can be 50... not plus? Okay, that is an interesting notion, something that I will keep near and dear to the heart.

Anyways, my prediction roster with less than 50? It is immaculate, I am the master speculator of destiny, they sing songs about my triumphs.
Cuts- Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Snake
Additions- Mewtwo, Black Shadow, Hades, Ganon, Bandanna Dee, King Hippo, and Pink Gold Peach.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I like the RosalinaX rumor featuring 48 characters with 4 cuts as a base or initial plan.

So we start with the Brawl 39. 4 cuts. Ivysaur, Squirtle, Lucas, and Wolf (or Ike) cut.

Little Mac, Mii, Pac-Man, Megaman, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk, Palutena, Chrom, Chorus Men, Greninja, and Rosalina and Luma from the Sal rumor and the revealed Rosalina.

So now 47. The RosalinaX rumor said 48 characters. So let us throw in Ridley. I think Sakurai might ultimately be teasing us with his ultimate role.

Now that is not to say that if there is time, Sakurai cannot throw in Dixie and Mewtwo for an even 50.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I like the RosalinaX rumor featuring 48 characters with 4 cuts as a base or initial plan.

Little Mac, Mii, Pac-Man, Megaman, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk, Palutena, Chrom, Chorus Men, Greninja, and Rosalina and Luma from the Sal rumor and the revealed Rosalina.

So we start with the Brawl 39. 4 cuts. Ivysaur, Squirtle, Lucas, and Wolf or Ike cut.

So now 47. The RosalinaX rumor said 48 characters. So let us throw in Ridley. I think Sakurai might ultimately be teasing us.

Now that is not to say that if there is time, Sakurai cannot throw in Dixie and Mewtwo for an even 50.
Or; since we are fallaciously presuming the priority list is stagnant, he could add Toon Zelda and Toon Sheik for an even 50. Poor Mewtwo, all of the evidence in the world and Sakurai STILL keeps him at the same spot on the priority list, right there by Dixie... sad.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Thanks, @ Morbi Morbi . that is pretty interesting character choices. However Palutena seems to be missing... I thought she's most likely only behind Mewtwo, especially there are Palutena's stages and she's not in Pit's Final Smash anymore. Kudos for making up a 49 characters roster :)

I'm also curious as to what @ Starcutter Starcutter and others' rosters look like with less than 50 too XD

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I want to fill a toilet bowl with vomit and the sounds of my stuttering gags lurching forth from my convulsing throat when I hear of Toon Zelda as a suggestion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have no idea what that is.
NDAs are Non-Disclosure Agreements made within 2 groups of people or a few that outlines confidential material.

For instance, Kojima probably signed it when he & Sakurai together saw Snake in SSB4. Kojima then cannot tell anyone about it.

Or if I signed one with Sakurai about knowing the whole roster for SSB4, I couldn't tell anyone anything about it (I wish I could, that'd be funny) :p

Its basically a contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
Thanks, @ Morbi Morbi . that is pretty interesting character choices. However Palutena seems to be missing... I thought she's most likely only behind Mewtwo, especially there are Palutena's stages and she's not in Pit's Final Smash anymore. Kudos for making up a 49 characters roster :)

I'm also curious as to what @ Starcutter Starcutter and others' rosters look like with less than 50 too XD
I was just joking; that was my wish list. Palutena is barely ahead of Kaepora Gaebora in likelihood; she has him beat, but not by much.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If Shulk and Chrom both get in, does it make sense for Ike to be a possible cut?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Which franchise would you rather have highly represented in Smash Bros:

This beauty:

Or this:

:smirk:
I forgot all graphics transfer directly from the game. That's why Dillon looks so ****ty compared to all those characters who got Wii U games like Fox and Mega Man. :rolleyes:

Well, in my mind, since Shulk's series is still going on, he's more likely due to his series' current prominence. While Isaac has a lot to work with (though, not necessarily more than Shulk, since he has a ridiculous amount of abilities in his games), Golden Sun is on hiatus, while Shulk's series is continuing on full force.
Two years (the time period between DD and when Sakurai started compiling the roster) isn't much of a hiatus.

I do think Shulk will be included, but Nintendo =/= Sakurai.

Also, two games does not a "bigger Nintendo series" make. Especially ones that have so far... received relatively minimal attention from the company.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If Shulk and Chrom both get in, does it make sense for Ike to be a possible cut?
I don't see what Shulk has to do with that. There's no correlation between him and Ike's chances of returning, aside from Shulk taking up a spot on the roster that maybe could have gone to Ike. But even then, that applies to every newcomer. So I fail to see why Shulk getting in alongside Chrom would have any impact on Ike's chances whatsoever.

Unless you think there are too many swordsmen, but that doesn't really make much sense.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Two years (the time period between DD and when Sakurai started compiling the roster) isn't much of a hiatus.
True. But Sakurai would be informed of a new game in the Xenoblade series.

I do think Shulk will be included, but Nintendo =/= Sakurai.

Also, two games does not a "bigger Nintendo series" make. Especially ones that have so far... received relatively minimal attention from the company.
I guess that's true. To me, though, it seems that they're trying to hype this one up at least.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I don't see what Shulk has to do with that. There's no correlation between him and Ike's chances of returning, aside from Shulk taking up a spot on the roster that maybe could have gone to Ike. But even then, that applies to every newcomer. So I fail to see why Shulk getting in alongside Chrom would have any impact on Ike's chances whatsoever.

Unless you think there are too many swordsmen, but that doesn't really make much sense.
My thought process is design space.

Sakurai wants to add characters that can do something new.
What can Chrom offer? What can Shulk offer?

Shulk offers long range and status effects. Chrom is a little more difficult to analyze in what he could really bring to the table. Perhaps he could simply take Ike's moveset with a few tweaks and slighty refined stats allowing Shulk to be the strong sword wielder with the absence of Ike. Just a thought.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
True. But Sakurai would be informed of a new game in the Xenoblade series.
That's true, but it doesn't really have much to do with the point I raised. There have been series on hiatus longer than GS who still got playable representation...

I guess that's true. To me, though, it seems that they're trying to hype this one up at least.
By showing it, what, thrice since it was announced over a year ago? As part of Directs where it didn't get as much spotlight as other games?

They'll probably step it up a bit before it releases... but this seems par for the course as far as Nintendo hyping a non-triple A game goes, tbh even a little below average.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
My thought process is design space.

Sakurai wants to add characters that can do something new.
What can Chrom offer? What can Shulk offer?

Shulk offers long range and status effects. Chrom is a little more difficult to analyze in what he could really bring to the table. Perhaps he could simply take Ike's moveset with a few tweaks and slighty refined stats allowing Shulk to be the strong sword wielder with the absence of Ike. Just a thought.
Or we could add another Fire Emblem character over Chrom. One that could offer much more as a unique character that doesn't need to borrow anything from Ike. Just a thought.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Or we could add another Fire Emblem character over Chrom. One that could offer much more as a unique character that doesn't need to borrow anything from Ike. Just a thought.
True. I am going by the Sal rumor as a hypothetical which would include both Shulk and Chrom.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
That's true, but it doesn't really have much to do with the point I raised. There have been series on hiatus longer than GS who still got playable representation...
Not counting retros, who?

By showing it, what, thrice since it was announced over a year ago? As part of Directs where it didn't get as much spotlight as other games?

They'll probably step it up a bit before it releases... but this seems par for the course as far as Nintendo hyping a non-triple A game goes, tbh even a little below average.
Huh. Guess they haven't been hyping it too much. I hadn't realized.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I have no idea what that is.
NDA = Non-disclosure agreement. Basically an agreement not to talk about a media project you may be working on. Anyone working with any proximity to Smash 4 is probably under one, which is why Kojima's comments on Snake's inclusion/non-inclusion shouldn't be used as evidence for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom