• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Either this is someone who looks uncannily like Shulk, or this is Shulk.
Shulk or not, this guy's pretty hot. Unless if like the shadowed part of his face is monstrous or something. Then he'll be like only 50% hot. Jk, jk. ;) :laugh: I should stop commenting on guys...

But yeah, I'm curious about this dude as well and I'd love confirmation asap. Hoping that he's Shulk, or somehow connected to him...

I've love to see Shulk in Smash -- he's probably one of my most wanted newcomers that I feel more confident in, plus with all that's going on (not saying he's 100% guaranteed, but compared to my other top wanted characters like Zoroark, Isa, Bowser Jr., Kamek, ehh, I think you understand why I feel that way).

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Too many clothes.

Well, we need more sword-wielders if we are to have a dragon (Ridley).

Last edited:

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
Concerning the Mii icon argument going on: in case it hasn't already been pointed out, the crown is also the symbol used when marking a Mii as a Favorite. It didn't mean much for most (or all, not sure) Wii games, BUT! On the Wii U, IIRC, the Favorite function is also used to designate which Miis on the system can be used in games (thinking of Nintendo Land in particular here, but I'd assume it applies for any game that uses Miis), probably because of just how much more space there is to store Miis on the Wii U (you can have literally thousands of Miis on a Wii U compared to a hard limit of 100 on the Wii). Thus, the crown that's used as the Mii series icon likely doesn't just represent Find Mii, it represents one of the Mii Maker's most important functions; indeed, the very function that would determine the selection of Miis you could use in Smash Bros (assuming playability, of course).

Just my two cents on the matter; I'd rather not get involved further unless there's some horrific misunderstanding about the above. I will say, I'd be up for it just because it would mean you could say that every fictional character, historical figure, and person on earth was confirmed for Smash Bros and you'd technically be telling the truth. I'd totally main Hank Hill, myself. Or myself, whichever.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

Either this is someone who looks uncannily like Shulk, or this is Shulk.
They're really not though. This guy looks younger, has darker hair that is less fluffy and has different shaped and colored eyes.
If anything he's a descendent of Shulk.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, here's hoping we'll know at E3.

Along with a potential Shulk reveal? Please?

D

Deleted member

My new prediction roster. Yep, I'm betting on the Sal Leak being true. Too much going for it.

51 Characters.
The only difference between this roster and my roster is that yours has Snake on it and I have Mach Rider.

My only suggestion is to cut Snake and add a retro character.
Wolf's far less of a clone than Falco is, in reality. Even then, if cuts were to happen on my roster, Snake and Lucas would go before Wolf.
Snake should go since he's been hinted at not returning by Kojima. Lucas, on the other hand, should be treated as a shoe-in because there really is nothing going against him. He was a high-priority Brawl character that doesn't have to worry about a new protagonist receiving high priority. I will be absolutely shocked if Lucas gets the axed.

Here's how I see potential cuts:

Already gone:
:pt:

Probably not coming back:
:ivysaur::squirtle::snake:

Possible cuts (from first to last in likelihood):
:wolf::ike::jigglypuff:

Definitely returning for this game:
:falcon::ness2::popo::falco::ganondorf::gw::warioc::metaknight::lucas::rob:
If DLC characters are a thing, I think unique fighters could be within reason. As long as the game is accepted and active, and time is permitting, then I think they could make it happen. Stages and items should be an easier task.
It would probably only happen if it were cut Brawl veterans due to time/technical constraints or (by some anti-miracle) Mewtwo not returning.
Can't see 50+ characters roster happening because Sakurai flat out said it isn't about character counts and 50 is more than enough.

Just curious what your prediction roster look like in less than 50 slots using the followings: 8x5, 7x6, 9x5, or 8x6.
Basically Opossum's new prediction roster, but without Snake, King K. Rool and one of Wolf/Ike. I'd also have a retro character there.
I like the RosalinaX rumor featuring 48 characters with 4 cuts as a base or initial plan.

So we start with the Brawl 39. 4 cuts. Ivysaur, Squirtle, Lucas, and Wolf (or Ike) cut.

Little Mac, Mii, Pac-Man, Megaman, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk, Palutena, Chrom, Chorus Men, Greninja, and Rosalina and Luma from the Sal rumor and the revealed Rosalina.

So now 47. The RosalinaX rumor said 48 characters. So let us throw in Ridley. I think Sakurai might ultimately be teasing us with his ultimate role.

Now that is not to say that if there is time, Sakurai cannot throw in Dixie and Mewtwo for an even 50.
I'm just going to say a few things...

First off, I've already explained in this post why Lucas isn't going anywhere. Secondly, Snake is probably getting the axe.

Finally, should both the Sal Romano and RosalinaX leak be both true (and we should really be taking both leaks at real possibilities at this point; especially the former), the last mysterious character is going to be Mewtwo (unless the part about RosalinaX's forty-eight characters (subjected to change) and four cuts means something else differently). There is no way Sakurai is going to exclude the most wanted character for this game; when Mega Man was already included because of popularity. That means no K. Rool, no Ridley, no Isaac, no retro character, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
My only suggestion is to cut Snake and add a retro character.Snake should go since he's been hinted at not returning by Kojima. Lucas, on the other hand, should be treated as a shoe-in because there really is nothing going against him. He was a high-priority Brawl character that doesn't have to worry about a new protagonist receiving high priority. I will be absolutely shocked if Lucas gets the axed.
Snake hasn't been "hinted" at not returning. Kojima blatantly said he didn't expect him to come back.
If it had been a hint, he would've been shoo-in.

Also, Kojima is known to be

a) Insane.
b) a troll.

That's probably why he's friends with Sakurai (who is both of those things) in the first place. Not everything he says should be taken at face value.

And how is Lucas "shoo-in" but Ike and Jigglypuff potentially getting cut?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Which franchise would you rather have highly represented in Smash Bros:

This beauty:

Or this:

:smirk:
The latter, obviously.

Well, in my mind, since Shulk's series is still going on, he's more likely due to his series' current prominence. While Isaac has a lot to work with (though, not necessarily more than Shulk, since he has a ridiculous amount of abilities in his games), Golden Sun is on hiatus, while Shulk's series is continuing on full force.
The last Golden Sun game was released in 2010, two years before the roster was finalised. Recency is not an issue.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Which franchise would you rather have highly represented in Smash Bros:

This beauty:

Or this:

:smirk:
Well I don't really mind "bad graphics", but Golden Sun is just pretty lacking in the story and character development aspects, which should be the most important aspects of any JRPG, so I'd prefer Xenoblade personally.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Shulk would obviously be my choice. But it ain't going to stop both of them from being in if either one was revealed first.
And Xenoblade is just a better game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Do you guys think in the end that the Pokemon Trainer, Squirtle and Ivysaur would end up as our only cuts?
There's still Solid Snake that needs to be taken into account too, since it's always possible that he'll get replaced with a different 3rd party rep. Only time will tell though.

Shalashaska

Banned via Warnings
If Snake does get cut, I hope another Konami character takes his place. Even if we can't have David, I'd still like a Sega-Capcom-Namco-Konami quartet.

Also, this is extremely unlikely, but if we got an Atari character, who would it be? Harry from Pitfall?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
If Snake does get cut, I hope another Konami character takes his place. Even if we can't have David, I'd still like a Sega-Capcom-Namco-Konami quartet.

Also, this is extremely unlikely, but if we got an Atari character, who would it be? Harry from Pitfall?
I literally don't think any character from Atari is enough of an All-Star to make it in...even theoretically.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You know what would really be something is if every character that was speculated to be at risk of being cut, such as Ike, Wolf and Lucas, along with Chrom, Pac-Man, Miis and the Chorus Men ends up being shown at E3. The reactions of disbelief and shock from people would definitely be interesting.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This. ^
I actually want this to happen now.
"Wolf is a clone! Why does he get to stay?!"
"Great, the most niche Nintendo franchise ever gets over-repped again with that waste of space clone Lucas returning. What's wrong with a little bit of effort and originality, Sakurai?!"
"Who gains anything from including characters like this nobody wants?"
"This is just Brawl. 2! Where's the innovation"
"ROB sucks and nobody likes him!"
"Why would anyone gain anything from including irrelevant characters such as Wolf and Lucas?"
"Why Pac-Man? He's irrelevant and lame!"

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
That's probably why he's friends with Sakurai (who is both of those things) in the first place. Not everything he says should be taken at face value.

And how is Lucas "shoo-in" but Ike and Jigglypuff potentially getting cut?
The only difference between this roster and my roster is that yours has Snake on it and I have Mach Rider.

My only suggestion is to cut Snake and add a retro character.Snake should go since he's been hinted at not returning by Kojima. Lucas, on the other hand, should be treated as a shoe-in because there really is nothing going against him. He was a high-priority Brawl character that doesn't have to worry about a new protagonist receiving high priority. I will be absolutely shocked if Lucas gets the axed.

Here's how I see potential cuts:

Already gone:
:pt:

Probably not coming back:
:ivysaur::squirtle::snake:

Possible cuts (from first to last in likelihood):
:wolf::ike::jigglypuff:

Definitely returning for this game:
:falcon::ness2::popo::falco::ganondorf::gw::warioc::metaknight::lucas::rob:It would probably only happen if it were cut Brawl veterans due to time/technical constraints or (by some anti-miracle) Mewtwo not returning.
Basically Opossum's new prediction roster, but without Snake, King K. Rool and one of Wolf/Ike. I'd also have a retro character there.
I'm just going to say a few things...

First off, I've already explained in this post why Lucas isn't going anywhere. Secondly, Snake is probably getting the axe.

Finally, should both the Sal Romano and RosalinaX leak be both true (and we should really be taking both leaks at real possibilities at this point; especially the former), the last mysterious character is going to be Mewtwo (unless the part about RosalinaX's forty-eight characters (subjected to change) and four cuts means something else differently). There is no way Sakurai is going to exclude the most wanted character for this game; when Mega Man was already included because of popularity. That means no K. Rool, no Ridley, no Isaac, no retro character, etc.
He already answered that- Lucas doesn't have a Chrom to his Ike or an every-other-possible-pokemon to his Jigglypuff. If characters are going to replaced in any way, Lucas won't be, where Ike and Jigglypuff could be.

Also, I quote your entire post, SSBF, because honestly I think it's the most realistic outcome. All the characters are exactly where I would put them in terms of likeliness of returning. Although, I don't buy into leaks as much as you do, but I don't particularly care if they're right or not, either.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I literally don't think any character from Atari is enough of an All-Star to make it in...even theoretically.
Q Bert? He's a movie star now.

E.T.? Legendary in a bad way, but they found all his old games!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Atari rep... hmm.. well... nah, you're right. No one off the top of my head.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Since I haven't done this in a while (since the Direct) this is my new roster. It's designed akin to Melee's CSS.
49 Slots, 4 cuts (Ivy, Squirtle, Snake, Lucas) and Mewtwo as usual. Sal Leak has no influence on me.
13 Newcomers:
-Rosalina & Luma
-King K. Rool
-Greninja
-Takamaru
-Little Mac
-Bandana Waddle Dee
-Palutena
-Chrom
-Villager
-Wii Fit Trainers
-Shulk
-Mega Man
-Pac-Man
Replace Bandana dee with Ridley to continue our internet friendship.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know what would really be something is if every character that was speculated to be at risk of being cut, such as Ike, Wolf and Lucas, along with Chrom, Pac-Man, Miis and the Chorus Men ends up being shown at E3. The reactions of disbelief and shock from people would definitely be interesting.
Ike and Lucas would make my day. Just like with the Direct, everything will suck except for the awesomeness that is Charizard Ike. And Lucas is pretty cool to.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hey hey hey! You guys leave poor Shulk alone here. Bluepikmin, don't go starting graphics debates!

Seeing Ike at E3 would be amazing. I just want him to be there.

Well, him, plus K. Rool, Mewtwo and the Sal leak and you've got the perfect Smash roster! Awww yiss. (Mileage may vary, but that's all I need.)

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Golden Sun looked amazing for it's time. I don't see how graphics would be a disadvantage for Golden Sun getting representation in Smash. In fact, it makes it all the more exciting!

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I would be fine with either of them or both. << I'm not picky.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Not Really.....you think this bad what do you think is gonna happen if people think

Metaknight
Wario
Ganondorf will be cut? Be much worse bro Trust me.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ganondorf was THE most suggested Zelda character before we got bombared with all those Zelda newcomers in Melee.

Cutting him would be extremely unwise.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
To be honest,I would want a stage in between.

Foresay Gangplank Galleon (GBA version because why not?) and Bowser's Castle from Paper Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom