• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Just a reminder this is a roster prediction thread, not a fan made/ dream roster.
Here's my roster prediction... Although I'm still holding out for King K. Rool and Ridley (even though the latter isn't looking likely at this point in time). I'm assuming the Gematsu leaks are legitimate and I kept the roster at a realistic 48 character cap.
Best prediction roster ive seen so far, It's my prediction roster also, but take out IKE and ADD TAKAMARU!!! for another retro character rep.

because TAkamaru vs Little Mac.

Plus Little Mac has very similar Ike special moves.

Also 48 character was also mentioned in the RosalinaX leak. So it fits well with Gematsu leak.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Actually, no, we're not going to get a character based on them being in the clouds.

We're going to get a character that IS a cloud.

KRACKO CONFIRMED.
No, better idea. We need a sixth Mario character so that Pokemon doesn't end up having more reps. So let's kill two birds with one stone.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Alright, here!

Well, this is a fairly large roster, for a start. I'm not sure if we're really going to get more than 50 characters. I notice you're also basing this off the leak, though you do have some good choices (like K. Rool and Mewtwo) that weren't in the leak, so that's nice to see.

As I said not too long ago, I find Layton to be very unlikely. I don't see much of a reason he should be included over other big name third-party characters, like Snake. And, uh... Why exactly do you have Pokemon Trainer on your roster? I mean, not only is that a very unlikely choice, but the Pokemon characters are now taking up a very large portion of the roster. I would suggest cutting him out, and maybe Layton too. Both are very likely not going to happen, and your roster could use a bit of trimming, I think. Other than that, it's a pretty good roster for one based on the leak.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Alright, here!

+K. Rool
+Shulk
+Palutena
+Pac-Man
+Mii
+Snake cut

(!'s are neutral points)
! Large, but not excessively so.
! Chrom's bland, but this is following the leak, so...
! I don't think Isaac's terribly likely, but I see his merits.
! Layton's not the likeliest character in the world, but he's possible
! Kinda weird layout. Putting the Legend of Zelda and Fire Emblem together is a bad enough idea on its own, but also adding in Isaac and Shulk is just wrong. Consider starting out with a layout of series debut (with third parties and Game and Watch being obvious exceptions) and shifting it as needed.
! Get some new icons, dude.

-No Takamaru retro. Sakurai mentioned that he likes reviving series through Smash around when SSB4's development started, so I think a retro's all but inevitable.
-Pokemon Trainer on his own? Please explain how Pokemon is deserving of two newcomers and Mewtwo.
-Marshal? Shouldn't it be Chorus Kids?

Decent roster. It has the biggest names (Palutena, Pac-Man, K. Rool) and plenty of other interesting characters. Main flaw is that your surprises (Layton and Pokemon Trainer) aren't the best choices...I'd go with something like Chibi Robo instead if you're going to add a surprise or two. Maybe consider a historical character too (Daitoryo propaganda :awesome:). I approve of your cutting Snake because, if you're going to cut anyone, he's the most likely cut. I like him, but he's on shaky ground. It is a little big, but I could see it happening.

7.5/10

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
No, better idea. We need a sixth Mario character so that Pokemon doesn't end up having more reps. So let's kill two birds with one stone.

But Huff N. Puff is irrelevant! Kracko is much more relevant and important! We are also in dire need of another Kirby rep!

Last edited:

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
Just a reminder this is a roster prediction thread, not a fan made/ dream roster.

Best prediction roster ive seen so far, It's my prediction roster also, but take out IKE and ADD TAKAMARU!!! for another retro character rep.

because TAkamaru vs Little Mac.

Plus Little Mac has very similar Ike special moves.

Also 48 character was also mentioned in the RosalinaX leak. So it fits well with Gematsu leak.
I'm kinda jealous that my roster didn't even get an recongnition yet. lol But yeah, I agree. This roster is good.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
shoot.

:facepalm:

I posted the wrong roster. hold on a sec. that was my last roster I never ended up posting from a while ago

EDIT: Here's the actual roster

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
shoot.

I posted the wrong roster. hold on a sec. that was my last roster I never ended up posting from a while ago

Oh.

Never mind that last post.

Except for the part about Professor Layton. I still think that Layton is very unlikely and doesn't really take precedence over other big name third-party characters, especially Pac-Man, who you've apparently cut out of this version. Personally, I'd take out Layton in favor of Pac-Man (or Snake).

There's also no retro on this roster, which seems a bit odd considering what Sakurai has said regarding the matter. I think the most obvious place for a retro on this roster would be in the place of Isaac, who, while not a bad character choice by any means, is probably the most expendable character on the roster.

Other than that, it's a pretty good roster, I think.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
3DS Roster.png

Completely unrealistic Dream Roster with no cuts from Brawl, Mewtwo, and 16 newcomers. Everyone from Gematsu included except Chorus Men, who I assume will be an AT, and Miis who I think will be the new Multi Man X. Basically I'm going with the most maximized roster possible, with Wonder Red, Isaac, and Takamaru being very replaceable as newcomers in my book. I won't be too heart broken if Gematsu is completely right + a few more, but I will if it comes at the cost of a vet I liked like Wolf or Ike.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Except for the part about Professor Layton. I still think that Layton is very unlikely and doesn't really take precedence over other big name third-party characters, especially Pac-Man, who you've apparently cut out of this version. Personally, I'd take out Layton in favor of Pac-Man (or Snake).
I think if you take out the third party thing out of the equation he's really likely. but since I can't just do that very easily, it just comes down to personal likeness. I think he's more deserving than Snake at minimum, and also I think Pacman is a Special flag assist.
There's also no retro on this roster, which seems a bit odd considering what Sakurai has said regarding the matter. I think the most obvious place for a retro on this roster would be in the place of Isaac, who, while not a bad character choice by any means, is probably the most expendable character on the roster.
what did Sakurai say exactly? he wanted to bring back a series? Why do you think it can't be golden sun (or something else)? unless I missed something Sakurai said.

yeah, thanks for the input.
Takamaru?
I don't think there's a retro cause I think Sakurai thinks Little Mac IS a retro.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
shoot.

+ K. Rool
+ Palutena
+ Mewtwo
+ Jigglypuff
+ Mii

! Marshal isn't terribly likely, but I like the surprise of him.

- Chrom
- Isaac before Shulk?
- No retro?
- Layton over Pac-Man? Are you mad? I could see Layton getting in over just Snake, but over both Snake and Pac-Man? No. It's just not happening.

Let's start with the good. You have the practically confirmed Palutena; the likely K. Rool, Mewtwo, and Mii; and you understand that Mewtwo and Jigglypuff can, in fact, coexist. I also kinda liked having Marshal as a surprise...but I honestly just don't see him happening, so that's why he's neutral. Would be a plush if it was Chibi or something.

Now the somewhat annoying...the least offensive is Chrom, since he does indeed have merits...but three blue-haired lords makes my heart twinge with pain like dozens of mosquito bites. (Why are mosquitoes a thing? Why? What good do they do for the planet? Do they even pay taxes? No. They're useless.) Isaac over Shulk isn't terrible either, but it's...meh.

But no retro? Sakurai stated right about when Uprising released that he is in a unique position with being able to revive franchises due to Smash bros. and that he enjoys that. No retro seems incredibly unlikely. I definitely need reasoning for this one.

And why is Layton on this roster before Snake OR Pac-Man? What has possessed you? I get that Layton appeals to you more than Pac-Man but he is in no way more likely than Pac-Man OR Snake. At all.

*ehem*

It's a questionable roster in my eyes. A lot of it's very good...but some of it is very very very very very very very bad.

5.5/10 see me after class.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think if you take out the third party thing out of the equation he's really likely. but since I can't just do that very easily, it just comes down to personal likeness. I think he's more deserving than Snake at minimum, and also I think Pacman is a Special flag assist.

what did Sakurai say exactly? he wanted to bring back a series? Why do you think it can't be golden sun (or something else)? unless I missed something Sakurai said.

yeah, thanks for the input.

I don't think there's a retro cause I think Sakurai thinks Little Mac IS a retro.
Yeah, but its not a series that Sakurai that he wants to revive to the global audience, Little Mac was already revived.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I legitimately think he's a Special Flag summon character. So no.

anything else? other than freaking pacman?
May I ask why? I don't understand why Sakurai would even consider going through the trouble of getting the licensing to multiple Namco characters (which, for the record, would be expensive) without getting Pac-Man as a playable character. I just don't see the logic. Could you explain your viewpoint to me?

"Adam Riley: You have mentioned how you like to breathe new life into forgotten franchises. Now that Kid Icarus has been completed, what other old classic would you like to look at? Ice Climbers, Star Tropics, MoleMania…or something non-Nintendo?"

"Sakurai-san: I am planning on doing my best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros. From that perspective, I am probably in the most fortunate position in the world."

Little Mac is not this. Nor is Golden Sun.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
And why is Layton on this roster before Snake OR Pac-Man? What has possessed you? I get that Layton appeals to you more than Pac-Man but he is in no way more likely than Pac-Man OR Snake. At all.
basically I think Snake is 50/50, I honestly have no clue, and I really think Pacman is a special flag summon. (and I like layton so he has my bias. who knows, maybe he'll get in. and I'll be happy)

Anyways, why is it such a big deal? I didn't mean anything to hurt you. you really sound childish for something so small. it's not like my roster is the final roster or anything.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
basically I think Snake is 50/50, I honestly have no clue, and I really think Pacman is a special flag summon. (and I like layton so he has my bias. who knows, maybe he'll get in. and I'll be happy)
Please explain this point of view to me. I don't understand how Sakurai going out of his way to get the right to use multiple Namco characters as what's basically an assist trophy without getting Pac-Man as playable makes any sense. I genuinely need this viewpoint explained.

Anyways, why is it such a big deal? I didn't mean anything to hurt you. you really sound childish for something so small. it's not like my roster is the final roster or anything.
I'm over-exaggerating to get my point across. I do that a lot. I'm not actually mad.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
May I ask why? I don't understand why Sakurai would even consider going through the trouble of getting the licensing to multiple Namco characters (which, for the record, would be expensive) without getting Pac-Man as a playable character. I just don't see the logic. Could you explain your viewpoint to me?
you see, Namco is working on the game right? it's probably not nearly as hard as you think it is. why did they have Nintendo costumes in the Tekken game on Wii U? it's like that. a cool little thing in the game to say "Thanks, you guys really helped us on this game!"

anyways, it boils down to the special flag summoning iconic namco characters, possibly from old arcade machines. that's where pacman would work best, whether you disagree here or not.
"Adam Riley: You have mentioned how you like to breathe new life into forgotten franchises. Now that Kid Icarus has been completed, what other old classic would you like to look at? Ice Climbers, Star Tropics, MoleMania…or something non-Nintendo?"

"Sakurai-san: I am planning on doing my best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros. From that perspective, I am probably in the most fortunate position in the world."
ah, I didn't know this quote exactly. I thought it was pretty much that he plans on revitalizing forgotten franchises, not old ones. thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
you see, Namco is working on the game right? it's probably not nearly as hard as you think it is. why did they have nintendo costumes in the Tekken game on Wii U? like that.

anyways, it boils down to the special flag summoning iconic namco characters, possibly from old arcade machines. that's where pacman would work best, whether you disagree here or not.
I suppose I understand. I mean, I saw this as a "hey, I'm close to these guys, so I'll do a little something more for them than just Pac-Man". I see how you could see it that way.

ah, I didn't know this quote exactly. I thought it was pretty much that he plans on revitalizing forgotten franchises, not old ones. thanks for clarifying.
No problem.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
@ Starcutter Starcutter

WAIT A MINUTE.

I just realized that your roster has Marshall AND Miis on it, yet doesn't follow the leak due to the lack of Shulk and Pac-Man. Aren't those two characters (Marshall especially) unlikely if the leak is taken out of the equation?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
@ Starcutter Starcutter

WAIT A MINUTE.

I just realized that your roster has Marshall AND Miis on it, yet doesn't follow the leak due to the lack of Shulk and Pac-Man. Aren't those two characters (Marshall especially) unlikely if the leak is taken out of the equation?
I'd argue Miis are still extremely likely, myself. The leak is hardly the only thing in their favor.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'd argue Miis are still extremely likely, myself. The leak is hardly the only thing in their favor.
Yeah, I suppose I'm the minority that thinks that the Miis are less than likely after the Direct.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
@ Starcutter Starcutter

WAIT A MINUTE.

Marshal, yes.

Miis....

nonononononononononNO.

They are still one of the most likely characters and people need to accept that.

and I just realized I never commented on anything else on @ Pacack Pacack 's post.
- Isaac before Shulk?
yeah, Isaac has 3 games, Shulk has 1 (maybe 2) games. I think Issac has more to choose from in terms of moveset. I wouldn't mind either but I think Isaac has more potential.

oh, and I'm not going to argue about FE cause I know next to nothing about it.

.....I guess that really wasn't much.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Marshal, yes.

Miis....

nonononononononononNO.

They are still one of the most likely characters and people need to accept that.
Well, since I'm apparently in denial about Miis, would you mind elaborating on why the symbol for the Find Mii stage has no impact on their chances whatsoever? I personally believe that that one detail is actually a major strike against them, but why would you say it's not?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Why does everyone still think Snake's going to get cut? :glare:
I'm neutral on that. snake COULD come back, butt he could also NOT come back.

it's a tough one.
Well, since I'm apparently in denial about Miis, would you mind elaborating on why the symbol for the Find Mii stage has no impact on their chances whatsoever? I personally believe that that one detail is actually a major strike against them, but why would you say it's not?
well, I guess it COULD be the Mii's symbol. it makes more sense than megaman's anyways.
Which franchise would you rather have highly represented in Smash Bros:

This beauty:

Or this:

:smirk:
the second one.

:seuss:

(besides, we already are getting the world of Xeno in HD, can't we have the world of Golden Sun in HD too?)

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
yeah, Isaac has 3 games, Shulk has 1 (maybe 2) games. I think Issac has more to choose from in terms of moveset. I wouldn't mind either but I think Isaac has more potential.

oh, and I'm not going to argue about FE cause I know next to nothing about it.

.....I guess that really wasn't much.
Well, in my mind, since Shulk's series is still going on, he's more likely due to his series' current prominence. While Isaac has a lot to work with (though, not necessarily more than Shulk, since he has a ridiculous amount of abilities in his games), Golden Sun is on hiatus, while Shulk's series is continuing on full force.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
well, I guess it COULD be the Mii's symbol. it makes more sense than megaman's anyways.
I find that to be very unlikely. The Miis are a huge part of Nintendo at this point, and have appeared in numerous titles ranging from sports and parties to racing and adventuring. Why should their symbol, which represents their series and universe, be limited to that of Find Mii? They've appeared in so much more, so giving them a symbol that only represents a single game they appeared in seems very odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom