• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I do have to wonder if we would've gotten the Color TV Game AT if it wasn't basically Pong.

Let's face it, the Mario DLC character will be Gold Mario. :troll:

I kinda doubt we're getting DLC, though. I feel Pokémon is the prime series for DLC characters, due to the cuts it has faced.
Why would it have to be one or the other?

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
1. To be fair, few characters have something support them, only mewtwo, ridley, Palutena and king k rool have something that is a direct hint that they might appear
2. Sorry, I wanted to say "considering him for smash"
3. Dude, we are already getting at least 6 new series, Why should they take priority anyway?
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/t...n-japan-but-its-not-great-either#.U2Z32_l5NqU
SS sold better in the western than in japan http://www.zeldauniverse.net/2011/12/30/japan-shows-less-love-for-skyward-sword-than-the-west/
Something similar happened with TP, Zelda is more succesful in America than in Japan
4. Nobody knows how Sakurai works, he is adding the characters he wants and I highly doubt he cares about which series deserve to have a rep in the game
1. I could care less about hints. I'm talking about things that make characters prime candidates. Ghirahim doesn't have any major flaws, but there's nothing overly appealing about him, either. Rosalina, for example, brought a new playstyle, which beat out Bowser Jr., Toad, and Paper Mario, all but the latter being mostly well-rounded.

2. Now you've lost me. I'm near certain that every character has been considered in some form or another, and Ghirahim would be no exception.

3. Those sources seem a bit vague to me, but they're still helpful in proving your point. The only thing that concerns me, as pointed out in the comments section, is the lack of a digital sales count. Those could be crucial, or, more likely, they could not be. Another thing, though, is that it only followed portable games. It's no shocker than PH and ST did better than it's successors because the 3DS alone did pretty badly until last year's boost. Even then, though, I doubt it comes close to comparing to the DS. Seeing the charts for the US would make me more comfortable with these sources, and also charts for the console games as a whole. Also, Tingle's "hatred" has yet to be confirmed. Ultimately, it can't be proven one way or the other, so we should stop debating him and agree to disagree.

4. You just contradicted yourself. He doesn't care about which series deserves reps, but you insist on giving characters to series that don't need any more because they're larger than the others.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This Ghirahim argument has been going on for quite some time now, hasn't it?

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
I'm not really in the mood for a debate over "priority," we've got Miss Fit and Greninja of all characters. For Jigglypuff though, there's not much going for her.

First, Jigglypuff has nothing to do with either Fire Emblem or Star Fox. Ike has no real reason to leave, unless you're implying that Roy was replaced by Ike, and Ike will be replaced by Chrom, which is wrong. Roy was planned but cut due to time constraints, I certainly see Ike as being higher priority than that, seeing as Roy was a clone and Ike was not. And if Wolf deserved it more, why would he not hold more priority? Bit contradictory there. Though she's been in all three Smash games to date, that doesn't mean she has a sizable fanbase. Most competitive and casual players alike don't care for her at all, besides a very small group, so I have no idea why people feel the need to defend her suddenly besides the fact that she is a veteran. If anything, Lucario in Brawl and Greninja now should show that recency actually is a factor, and Jigglypuff is an old, increasingly less popular, and not very advertised Pokemon among 700 others. She got in Brawl because she was easy to develop, basically just a slot to bump the roster like the clones in Melee, and while she certainly could get in again, I don't see her taking priority over Mewtwo again. Mewtwo during Melee times wasn't nearly as popular, while now he's the most requested character and is also highly advertised by GameFreak. I'm not saying either are a lock for anything, but this is just what I'm predicting. Mind, I don't have an preferences here as I don't care for any of the Pokemon in Smash.
I have to disagree with you on this. If this were back during Brawl I would agree that Jigglypuff would be cut however Jigglypuff actually has a LOT going for her right now!

If we look at all the current playable Pokemon on the roster we can see that they each represent something important from the current X and Y games.

Pikachu: Of course being Pokemon's mascot is obvious but it was also the only Pokemon to have it's own voice actor.
Lucario: According to Pokemon canon, Lucario was the FIRST Pokemon to ever Mega-evolve.
Charizard: For the first time ever, X and Y allowed you to choose 2 starter Pokemon. One of the new Gen 6 starters and one of the original Gen 1 starters, but Charizard has something that Blastoise and Venasaur don't have and that's 2 Mega-evolutions, with one of those being the hoped for Fire/Dragon typing that most fans thought Charizard should have been from the start.
Greninja: There was a time when Froakie was considered the lesser of the Gen 6 starters, but after the final evolutions leaked quite a number of people jumped on the Froakie bandwagon. Not to forget that the competitive scene fell in love with Greninja after learning of it's hidden ability Protean. So Greninja represents all of the new Gen 6 Pokemon as the fan favorite.

Now if we look at that list we see that we covered: Pokemon's mascot, Mega-Evolution, and new Gen 6 Pokemon. There is only one MAJOR thing left to be represented from X and Y and that is FAIRY typing! Let's rewind to E3 2013 when Pokemon was up... the announcer says, "And, Introducing a new type of Pokemon...Fairy type!" Then we see 4 Pokemon confirmed to have the new typing: Sylveon, Gardevoir, Marill and...JIGGLYPUFF!!! Jigglypuff was the first of a few to be revealed to have the Fairy typing, and it just so happens that the new Smash gets shown as well...coincidence? Probably. But we all know Game Freak has a hand in what Pokemon are playable so you can say that this was a way to make Jigglypuff relevant again.

From this, I would say it's far more likely that Jigglypuff has priority over Mewtwo as Mewtwo doesn't represent something different from X and Y that's already being represented. Plus the fact that many characters are being reworked and I'm sure Jigglypuff will have a few new specials and smashes to show off the Fairy typing. I'm not saying Mewtwo won't be playable, but Jigglypuff literally has no reason to be cut this time around.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
This Ghirahim argument has been going on for quite some time now, hasn't it?
I haven't been on this thread for days, weeks, even. What has made Ghirahim such a big topic, anyway? Wasn't he mostly agreed upon as a one shot type of character, before being discussed, what I assume days on end.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I haven't been on this thread for days, weeks, even. What has made Ghirahim such a big topic, anyway? Wasn't he mostly agreed upon as a one shot type of character, before being discussed, what I assume days on end.
Tell that to ultimatekoopa.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I really hope all this new found Ghirahim attention/hope hasn't stemmed from a SS trophy being shown in the Direct. That'd be a bit silly.

Eh? One or the other of what?
My mistake, I misread your post. Embarrass

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I really hope all this new found Ghirahim attention/hope hasn't stemmed from a SS trophy being shown in the Direct. That'd be a bit silly.Embarrass
I think it stemmed from his theme being played in that Reggie video.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think it stemmed from his theme being played in that Reggie video.
Hmm, well I remember it still bouncing it around before that video, but tbh I don't think that's any better.

There have been several instances of a character's theme being showcased in relation to Smash, with that character not ending up playable. Sounds like grasping at straws imo.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Here come the puns, shrouded in a fog of one after another.
Honestly, I hope that no one really takes coincidental cloud lookalikes and uses them as actual evidence.

How come no one ever predicts Lakitu? :troll:
Because anyone who was a newcomer in Mario Kart 7 is hated for replacing Waluigi.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I hate bad puns.

Is there any real topic to discuss?

D

Deleted member

Made a few changes to my "Likely unreasonable but want to see happen" roster

Replaced Chrom with Anna
Replace Cranky with Dixie

Ken Griffey Jr. like always is placeholder for any character you want to appear on roster. (Mewtwo, Snake, Roy, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Replaced Chrom with Anna

Ken Griffey Jr. like always is placeholder
Replace Ken with Mewtwo.

Also, you might want to make Isaac a little younger.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Any character. For instance, he could be Mewtwo, Roy, Snake, etc.

I should probably add that.
That's kind of a cop-out, isn't it? The actual roster isn't going to have a "free space".

I'd probably go with Mewtwo.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Wants Roster.png

A few of the new character choices and exclusion of Jigglypuff you'll probably question, are more of what I want to see happen.

D

Deleted member

You probably should add Mewtwo, since you gave Zelda 6 characters.
Replace Ken with Mewtwo.

Also, you might want to make Isaac a little younger.
That's kind of a cop-out, isn't it? The actual roster isn't going to have a "free space".

I'd probably go with Mewtwo.
Done! (I'm aware the roster won't have a free space, I just ran out of ideas for the time being, hence why I used Ken)

All thats left is the roster to be consistent...

Last edited by a moderator:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Replaced Chrom with Anna

Ken Griffey Jr. like always is placeholder for any character you want to appear on roster. (Mewtwo, Snake, Roy, etc.)
Replace Anna with Chrom and Ken with Takamaru, and I think you'll be all set for get some predictions right. :p

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
So is the option for future characters as DLC a definite, "no?"

D

Deleted member

IMO it all depends on how its done. If its free, it'll work fine.

Paid DLC though is where things get a little shaky...

I wouldn't rule out that we won't get DLC yet

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd like to see if Nintendo is planning to embrace DLC with MK8 before I really make an actual prediction about how DLC in Smash will be handled.

I personally think it's pretty likely we get DLC in some form. Smash is perfect for it, and the audience that takes to DLC readily is definitely the same kind of audience Smash attracts.

I do think should we get DLC, we'd probably get at least a couple characters. That's when it would come down to Sakurai a bit more imo.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Getting DLC characters is farfetch'd in my eyes, mainly since it takes more time to develop Smash characters than Mario Golf/Kart characters. Unless they are clones or cut veterans, I don't really see it.
Alternate costumes and stages though, that I can see.

D

Deleted member

No. I wouldn't rule out DLC as an option quite yet. Sakurai did say he likes the idea of DLC; he just realize that finishing the game comes first.

I'm guessing that DLC characters, should they be a thing, will mostly be cut contents like Roy and whoever Brawl veteran is initially axed.

Niala

Smash Ace
Before anything else, I'd like to say that while the puns demonstrated on this page have been slipshod at best, I enjoyed them immensely and hope this trend continues.

On the subject of Ghirahim, I would love to see him become a playable character. I think he's a fun character, and at least unique as far as his personality is concerned, which is admittedly a major part of what most of the characters in Smash are lacking-- any sort of interesting personality. Granted, the whole Nintendo's-silent-protagonist-in-every-****ing-game thing is more the cause of that than anything else. But I digress, while Ghirahim has the potential for an interesting moveset, I admit to being more of a supporter of his comically sadistic personality joining the fray.

I'm not going to grasp at straws and say he will be joining. I don't think anybody should really have expectations, all that will get you is massively frustrated when they aren't met. However, a dash of hope does no harm, as long as you keep it in check, and that's all he is to me-- a hope.

As far as DLC is concerned, I'm neither here nor there, tbqh. Money's not a problem, and if he wants to give us extra content, then feel free. You won't be hearing me complain.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Well an add on/DLC would continue the brand without having to make a completely new game, so they would have something to show us next year to prolong the life of the game as well. Im not completely for dlc, but it would make the most sense for them to just continue working on it while we are busy with the main game. Im just curious if rebalancing would happen at that point, i kinda dont like the change in that sense especially once we all become familiar with these characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom