• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
So is the option for future characters as DLC a definite, "no?"
I could see cut veterans, planned characters cut due to time constraints, and clones (Bowser Jr, Paper Mario, etc) as far as downloadable characters go... only from existing franchises though.

For example, Roy and Wolf would be perfect for DLC

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

My new prediction roster. Yep, I'm betting on the Sal Leak being true. Too much going for it.

51 Characters.

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
No Opossum, remove a character I don't like, put in two I do like, and then you've got a stellar roster. :troll:
Wolf is kinda a clone so it'd make sense to get rid of him in the initial release. Make him downloadable later

Plus 51 is a terrible number for a roster, so 50 or 52 would give a nice even number

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
No Opossum, remove a character I don't like, put in two I do like, and then you've got a stellar roster. :troll:
Those two characters are in my opinion ****.
My two characters are better, they're highly unique and will be very fun to play.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Wolf is kinda a clone so it'd make sense to get rid of him in the initial release. Make him downloadable later

Plus 51 is a terrible number for a roster, so 50 or 52 would give a nice even number
Why should that even matter?

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Y'know what's funny. People are certain that Mewtwo and Jiggs will be in the roster, and have been speculating a sixth Zelda rep for the last god knows how many pages... and yet we can't have a 6th Mario character? Perhaps Pokemon may get more roster spots than Mario, but in no way do I see Zelda getting more than Mario. So since people have been so adamant about characters like Ghirahim, Vaati, Impa, Pig Ganon, etc.... Paper Mario and Bowser Jr. need more speculation as well, because they are very possible and realistic choices.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Y'know what's funny. People are certain that Mewtwo and Jiggs will be in the roster, and have been speculating a sixth Zelda rep for the last god knows how many pages... and yet we can't have a 6th Mario character? Perhaps Pokemon may get more roster spots than Mario, but in no way do I see Zelda getting more than Mario. So since people have been so adamant about characters like Ghirahim, Vaati, Impa, Pig Ganon, etc.... Paper Mario and Bowser Jr. need more speculation as well, because they are very possible and realistic choices.
And Toad.

If Ridley's not disconfirmed, Toad sure isn't.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Meanwhile I'm in the back not begging for mediocre characters solely to fill in imaginary quotas.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Wolf's far less of a clone than Falco is, in reality. Even then, if cuts were to happen on my roster, Snake and Lucas would go before Wolf.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
And Toad.

If Ridley's not disconfirmed, Toad sure isn't.
Well, at least with Ridley, his role is still somewhat ambiguous, and there are alternate forms of Ridley that could be playable if Other M Ridley is a boss hazard.

Toad is an attack.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Well, at least with Ridley, his role is still somewhat ambiguous, and there are alternate forms of Ridley that could be playable if Other M Ridley is a boss hazard.

Toad is an attack.
Don't discount the very little effort it takes to change Toad's colour, or change him into Toadsworth. I doubt he will, but it's possible.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team

Since I haven't done this in a while (since the Direct) this is my new roster. It's designed akin to Melee's CSS.
49 Slots, 4 cuts (Ivy, Squirtle, Snake, Lucas) and Mewtwo as usual. Sal Leak has no influence on me.
13 Newcomers:
-Rosalina & Luma
-King K. Rool
-Greninja
-Takamaru
-Little Mac
-Bandana Waddle Dee
-Palutena
-Chrom
-Villager
-Wii Fit Trainers
-Shulk
-Mega Man
-Pac-Man

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Don't discount the very little effort it takes to change Toad's colour, or change him into Toadsworth. I doubt he will, but it's possible.
I find the idea of an alternate color Toad being playable to be very unlikely. I mean, wouldn't that mean that the most iconic form of Toad is unavailable for people to play as? Why would they make him a different color that isn't his most iconic color?

And isn't Toadsworth an entirely different character choice?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

Since I haven't done this in a while (since the Direct) this is my new roster. It's designed akin to Melee's CSS.
49 Slots, 4 cuts (Ivy, Squirtle, Snake, Lucas) and Mewtwo as usual. Sal Leak has no influence on me.
13 Newcomers:
-Rosalina & Luma
-King K. Rool
-Greninja
-Takamaru
-Little Mac
-Bandana Waddle Dee
-Palutena
-Chrom
-Villager
-Wii Fit Trainers
-Shulk
-Mega Man
-Pac-Man
I'd be OK with this roster, but IMO the roster will have 50 characters minimum.

so either un-cut someone or add someone else you like and I'd say it's perfect.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I find the idea of an alternate color Toad being playable to be very unlikely. I mean, wouldn't that mean that the most iconic form of Toad is unavailable for people to play as? Why would they make him a different color that isn't his most iconic color?

I was referring to changing the attack. He's made it very clear that nothing we see is set in stone just yet.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Here's the thing, though. Not only are there multiple Toads with that color scheme, but, since Super Mario 3D World had the blue Toad playable instead of the more iconic blue-vested, red capped Toad, Sakurai may have decided to add blue Toad instead.

I mean, the recolors are obvious and don't even have to include the typical "Toad".

I'm pretty sure that most Toad fans would be fine with the above red Toad as a recolor.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
1. I could care less about hints. I'm talking about things that make characters prime candidates. Ghirahim doesn't have any major flaws, but there's nothing overly appealing about him, either. Rosalina, for example, brought a new playstyle, which beat out Bowser Jr., Toad, and Paper Mario, all but the latter being mostly well-rounded.

2. Now you've lost me. I'm near certain that every character has been considered in some form or another, and Ghirahim would be no exception.

3. Those sources seem a bit vague to me, but they're still helpful in proving your point. The only thing that concerns me, as pointed out in the comments section, is the lack of a digital sales count. Those could be crucial, or, more likely, they could not be. Another thing, though, is that it only followed portable games. It's no shocker than PH and ST did better than it's successors because the 3DS alone did pretty badly until last year's boost. Even then, though, I doubt it comes close to comparing to the DS. Seeing the charts for the US would make me more comfortable with these sources, and also charts for the console games as a whole. Also, Tingle's "hatred" has yet to be confirmed. Ultimately, it can't be proven one way or the other, so we should stop debating him and agree to disagree.

4. You just contradicted yourself. He doesn't care about which series deserves reps, but you insist on giving characters to series that don't need any more because they're larger than the others.
1. Ghirahim can still be an interesting and unique character, he can be a 2 sword user (sonething that we lack) or his ability to make his body harder than metal can also bring something interesting
2. You are saying that if ghirahim appears but he doesn't appear in other zelda game then his addition would have been worthless but if sakurai wanted to add him as a newcomer but cared about that (which is probably not the case) then he can simply ask Eiji about it
3. Agreed
4. What I was trying to say if that Sakurai has shown so far that he only cares that the new character can be unique, fun to play as, very doubtful he is gonna stop adding a newcomer because x series already has y characters unless another character from a new series can take this character moveset

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

13 Newcomers:
-Rosalina & Luma
-King K. Rool
-Greninja
-Takamaru
-Little Mac
-Bandana Waddle Dee
-Palutena
-Chrom
-Villager
-Wii Fit Trainers
-Shulk
-Mega Man
-Pac-Man
Well, for the most part, that roster looks pretty good. Personally, I'd keep Snake and Lucas, but I'll admit that their positions on the roster are a bit shaky. Aside from that, this is a pretty good roster, I think.

...Except for the layout. I mean, why are the Zelda characters all spread out like that? Why are Yoshi and Wario so far from the rest of the Mario-originating characters? I feel like something could be done to make this roster look neater.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Well, for the most part, that roster looks pretty good. Personally, I'd keep Snake and Lucas, but I'll admit that their positions on the roster are a bit shaky. Aside from that, this is a pretty good roster, I think.
The issues regarding Snake make me very cautious. He may go in with a shock reveal at E3, but if it's not there, it's likely leading to a cut.
For Lucas, it's mainly because Nintendo has seemingly left Mother 3 out in the dark, focusing more on Earthbound again. The customization element could easily be used to have Ness take the moveset of Lucas seeing how simialr they were.

\
...Except for the layout. I mean, why are the Zelda characters all spread out like that? Why are Yoshi and Wario so far from the rest of the Mario-originating characters? I feel like something could be done to make this roster look neater.
It's meant to be a tad similar to Melee's Roster, with some.. limitations.
Mario and DK on top with Falcon and Ganondorf.
Of course, due to keeping up with the additions, I had to change a few elements. I just felt like trying something new with my roster design and that came into mind. My roster design has... never been conventional, to say the least. (notahipster)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All that talk of clouds on the last page....

it's pretty damn obvious who the next Newcomer will be.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Kracko and Simba too OR RATHER MUFASA would be be pretty awesome as a character actually.

Realistically speaking Kracko could easily be Kirby's stage hazard boss. Could be Whispy too, I suppose, seeing as how we've gotten a two stages with him as a somewhat minor hazard before.

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
1. Ghirahim can still be an interesting and unique character, he can be a 2 sword user (sonething that we lack) or his ability to make his body harder than metal can also bring something interesting
2. You are saying that if ghirahim appears but he doesn't appear in other zelda game then his addition would have been worthless but if sakurai wanted to add him as a newcomer but cared about that (which is probably not the case) then he can simply ask Eiji about it
3. Agreed
4. What I was trying to say if that Sakurai has shown so far that he only cares that the new character can be unique, fun to play as, very doubtful he is gonna stop adding a newcomer because x series already has y characters unless another character from a new series can take this character moveset
1. That doesn't compare to what Rosalina brought. He brings about as much as any other Zelda choice, excluding Tingle, who easily has the most potential for a fun moveset.

2. Not worthless, exactly, and I've heard you EVERY time you said he could ask Eiji. Don't forget how Eiji may not plan on it. Right now, we should just wait 'till E3 for that.

4. By that logic, we'd have A LOT of Pokemon, and perhaps Fire Emblem characters as well.

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
If DLC characters are a thing, I think unique fighters could be within reason. As long as the game is accepted and active, and time is permitting, then I think they could make it happen. Stages and items should be an easier task.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think bringing back cut veterans via DLC is a great idea. or pretty much any characters that weren't finished by the release date but had a lot of work done on them already.

those are the 2 scenarios that I'd be OK with.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
so, I made a new roster, anyone want to see it?

cause if nobody wants to see it what's the point of posting it amiright?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom