• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Suggestion: Maybe fill in the black backgrounds on each character slot? It kind of feels empty to me.
I originally had them use their background colour from the site, but I went with one colour to keep a more uniform look.
Just needs a certain puffball in there, I think. Don't know where, though. Other than that, very nice roster.
I know, but the only reason anyone thinks Jiggs is a shoe-in is because of "original 12," that doesn't hold as much as people think. Thanks though!

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I originally had them use their background colour from the site, but I went with one colour to keep a more uniform look.
I know, but the only reason anyone thinks Jiggs is a shoe-in is because of "original 12," that doesn't hold as much as people think. Thanks though!
So that and being a well-known favorite (not to everyone obviously, but 3 games does give yourself a fanbase) in a smash bros context doesn't hold more weight than any other character they could have cut? It's debatable, but I think the answer to that question is: NOPE (wait I just confused myself, would NOPE imply that I do think it actually holds more weight or that it doesn't, because I vote for the former.) In a roster where Chrom is in, I don't really see Ike being a high priority, and I wouldn't really see characters like Wolf holding priority over the puff even if they deserve it more.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Been a while, so here's my newest roster design. I based it around the menu screens we saw in the direct, so it should be more true to form.
Looks good, id say palutena could use a new icon though. Perhaps one from kid icarus and its conversations

-----
And a change of topic, but i was discussing with another user in the dk forum. But what is everyones take on the possibility of new voices for certain characters? He seemed to believe that since marth still had his japanese voice in the clips we saw from the direct, that it was final and that no change would come to it. When i think that since most characters aside from the big ones that reuse voice clips were silent, that its still not final and that the fact that they are silent means that localization still hasnt been fully shown to us. Im not saying that some of those voices cant end up as they sound there, but many of them like pit will get their new ones. What do you guys think about it?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And a change of topic, but i was discussing with another user in the dk forum. But what is everyones take on the possibility of new voices for certain characters? He seemed to believe that since marth still had his japanese voice in the clips we saw from the direct, that it was final and that no change would come to it. When i think that since most characters aside from the big ones that reuse voice clips were silent, that its still not final and that the fact that they are silent means that localization still hasnt been full shown to us. Im not saying that some of those voices cant end up as they sound there, but many of them like pit will get their new ones. What do you guys think about it?
I hope to god Fox, Falco & Wolf get a voice change because I couldn't stand how they sounded in Brawl, Falco being the worst & Wolf being decent.

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
So that and being a well-known favorite (not to everyone obviously, but 3 games does give yourself a fanbase) in a smash bros context doesn't hold more weight than any other character they could have cut? It's debatable, but I think the answer to that question is: NOPE (wait I just confused myself, would NOPE imply that I do think it actually holds more weight or that it doesn't, because I vote for the former.) In a roster where Chrom is in, I don't really see Ike being a high priority, and I wouldn't really see characters like Wolf holding priority over the puff even if they deserve it more.
I'm not really in the mood for a debate over "priority," we've got Miss Fit and Greninja of all characters. For Jigglypuff though, there's not much going for her.

First, Jigglypuff has nothing to do with either Fire Emblem or Star Fox. Ike has no real reason to leave, unless you're implying that Roy was replaced by Ike, and Ike will be replaced by Chrom, which is wrong. Roy was planned but cut due to time constraints, I certainly see Ike as being higher priority than that, seeing as Roy was a clone and Ike was not. And if Wolf deserved it more, why would he not hold more priority? Bit contradictory there. Though she's been in all three Smash games to date, that doesn't mean she has a sizable fanbase. Most competitive and casual players alike don't care for her at all, besides a very small group, so I have no idea why people feel the need to defend her suddenly besides the fact that she is a veteran. If anything, Lucario in Brawl and Greninja now should show that recency actually is a factor, and Jigglypuff is an old, increasingly less popular, and not very advertised Pokemon among 700 others. She got in Brawl because she was easy to develop, basically just a slot to bump the roster like the clones in Melee, and while she certainly could get in again, I don't see her taking priority over Mewtwo again. Mewtwo during Melee times wasn't nearly as popular, while now he's the most requested character and is also highly advertised by GameFreak. I'm not saying either are a lock for anything, but this is just what I'm predicting. Mind, I don't have an preferences here as I don't care for any of the Pokemon in Smash.
Looks good, id say palutena could use a new icon though. Perhaps one from kid icarus and its conversations.
-----
And a change of topic, but i was discussing with another user in the dk forum. But what is everyones take on the possibility of new voices for certain characters? He seemed to believe that since marth still had his japanese voice in the clips we saw from the direct, that it was final and that no change would come to it. When i think that since most characters aside from the big ones that reuse voice clips were silent, that its still not final and that the fact that they are silent means that localization still hasnt been full shown to us. Im not saying that some of those voices cant end up as they sound there, but many of them like pit will get their new ones. What do you guys think about it?
Ah thanks, I've been trying to find a better picture to use. Those won't do me any good though, since none of them are big enough.

I'm not sure about the voices, part of me wants Marth to speak English while part of me wants him to stay as he was before. I don't really care about the others, Charles Martinet will obviously take his usual role, Pit will probably use his newest voice, etc. Snake should be David Hayter... I thought the Star Fox crew was alright, though Fox's scream in Melee was better than "FIRE!" I'd like to hear Olimar actually make some noises too. Pac-Man should be silent if he gets in.
I'm in the minority, but I liked the vocalizations that DK/Bowser had in Brawl. I'd certainly like to hear a combination of the roars and the modern voices.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
1. There are A LOT of possibilities still out there, so......
2. Sheik could be an exception because she was attached to Zelda. I don't know one way or the other. How do I know he can't ask? I don't. How we we know he'd be told?
4. I just don't think the stage and such means anything it terms of characters.

2. Ghirahim's competition is much larger, and while there can be a 6th, I see no reason for there to be one. Other characters, I think, should have more priority.
3. Mewtwo, probably, but I doubt B Jr. is THAT popular. That`s why I think Pokemon is the most likely to get 6, if any.

There's a difference between thinking the roster won't be big enough, and seeing no significant reason to populate Mario or Zelda more than there already is. At least Pokemon has an excuse to.
1. Few of them actually stands a chance
2. Sheik is still a recurring veteran in smash and greninja once again proves that one shot characters can appear, Dude, Sakurai just have to ask Eiji if ghirahim could appear in the future because he is considering to add him in smash, it's not that hard
2. I see no reason to not have one either, Ghirahim doesn't have much competition to a possible 6th slots of the zelda seriers, ganon, tetra and vaati are his only competition
3. Dude, the mario series is way more popular than golden sun, xenoblade, etc, between casual gamers he is easily more wanted or accepted
The desicion is up to Sakurai anyway

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
1. Few of them actually stands a chance
2. Sheik is still a recurring veteran in smash and greninja once again proves that one shot characters can appear, Dude, Sakurai just have to ask Eiji if ghirahim could appear in the future because he is considering to add him in smash, it's not that hard
2. I see no reason to not have one either, Ghirahim doesn't have much competition to a possible 6th slots of the zelda seriers, ganon, tetra and vaati are his only competition
3. Dude, the mario series is way more popular than golden sun, xenoblade, etc, between casual gamers he is easily more wanted or accepted
The desicion is up to Sakurai anyway
1. And Ghirahim is one of them. Of course I won't deny he's a possibility. I have a strong belief that he isn't a good one, though.

2. I already acknowledged that one-offs are fair game, still. Also, we have to consider that the game releases this summer. In order for Ghirahim to have a known future, it'd have to be in Zelda U. If he's in it, fine, I think he'd be reasonable, but right now, no.

2. I can think of a reason easy: We don't need one. You also missed Tingle, but I know you're just gonna overestimate his "hatred" again without a source for your reason (since when was Zelda western?).

3. Mario, from the get go, deserved to have the main 4 characters, but instead, we saw lesser series fill the roster. Diversity is good to have.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I see no reason to argue for Ghirahim when we can have an even better Zelda newcomer.

Groose :troll:
I must say, though, I feel a bit more supportive of Ghirahim than I did this morning. I still stick with Tingle, but now I think Ghirahim is worth keeping and eye on.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I must say, though, I feel a bit more supportive of Ghirahim than I did this morning. I still stick with Tingle, but now I think Ghirahim is worth keeping and eye on.
I found that out after the Nintendo Direct we had, where Vaati and Ghirahim were the only Zelda characters not harmed at all (with my theory of Termina Bay hurting Tingle in my eyes.)

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I found that out after the Nintendo Direct we had, where Vaati and Ghirahim were the only Zelda characters not harmed at all (with my theory of Termina Bay hurting Tingle in my eyes.)
Wait, what? Termina Bay returns? The site I use to keep track says nothing about Termina Bay.

Autumn ♫

Wait, what? Termina Bay returns? The site I use to keep track says nothing about Termina Bay.
No, it hasn't been confirmed to return yet, it's just my little theory about how Skull Kid doesn't use the moon while using his assist, Melee stages returning, and Tingle hasn't been shown off yet as an Assist Trophy yet, which leaves perfect room for the possibility of Termina Bay returning.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
No, it hasn't been confirmed to return yet, it's just my little theory about how Skull Kid doesn't use the moon while using his assist, Melee stages returning, and Tingle hasn't been shown off yet as an Assist Trophy yet, which leaves perfect room for the possibility of Termina Bay returning.
Bear in mind that the only one revealed was also in Brawl, while Termina Bay did not appear in Brawl. I understand your theory, but I don't think it's likely. Tetra as a stand-alone still works, too, though I consider her unlikely as well.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

Bear in mind that the only one revealed was also in Brawl, while Termina Bay did not appear in Brawl. I understand your theory, but I don't think it's likely. Tetra as a stand-alone still works, too, though I consider her unlikely as well.
At this point in time, if I don't count my theory, I see Ghirahim, Vaati, and Tingle being the most likely Zelda characters, each with their own pros and cons. I never thought I would see the day when I saw Vaati be up there in likeliness with Ghirahim and Tingle .

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
At this point in time, if I don't count my theory, I see Ghirahim, Vaati, and Tingle being the most likely Zelda characters, each with their own pros and cons. I never thought I would see the day when I saw Vaati be up there in likeliness with Ghirahim and Tingle .
My order goes Tetra - Ghirahim - Vaati - Tingle - No new Zelda character

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
My order goes Tetra - Ghirahim - Vaati - Tingle - No new Zelda character
Eh, I'd argue against no new Zelda newcomer being the most likely since we haven't had a new one since Melee.
My order would be (from most to least likely): No Zelda Newcomer -> Tetra -> Ghirahim -> Vaati -> Tingle ---> Impa

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Eh, I'd argue against no new Zelda newcomer being the most likely since we haven't had a new one since Melee.
(assuming Toon Link doesn't count) At the same time, though, Zelda hasn't needed any more characters. Maybe, in a newcomer's place, we could get a revamped Ganondorf instead? I expect to see him at E3. We've already seen how Melee characters can get revamped. I think Ganondorf will get the same treatment, but to a greater margin.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

(assuming Toon Link doesn't count) At the same time, though, Zelda hasn't needed any more characters. Maybe, in a newcomer's place, we could get a revamped Ganondorf instead? I expect to see him at E3. We've already seen how Melee characters can get revamped. I think Ganondorf will get the same treatment, but to a greater margin.
Eh, I don't see a re-vamped Ganondorf too big of a thing. All he really needs is to change his neutral and side special and give him a sword, other than that, I think he's fine.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Eh, I don't see a re-vamped Ganondorf too big of a thing. All he really needs is to change his neutral and side special and give him a sword, other than that, I think he's fine.
Honestly, I think he should be totally re-done. Ganondorf deserves to be his own character, and he should be treated like one.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Ah thanks, I've been trying to find a better picture to use. Those won't do me any good though, since none of them are big enough.

I'm not sure about the voices, part of me wants Marth to speak English while part of me wants him to stay as he was before. I don't really care about the others, Charles Martinet will obviously take his usual role, Pit will probably use his newest voice, etc. Snake should be David Hayter... I thought the Star Fox crew was alright, though Fox's scream in Melee was better than "FIRE!" I'd like to hear Olimar actually make some noises too. Pac-Man should be silent if he gets in.
I'm in the minority, but I liked the vocalizations that DK/Bowser had in Brawl. I'd certainly like to hear a combination of the roars and the modern voices.
Yeah after i posted those i realized the size and quality of them probably wouldnt be that good. Well ill keep an eye out for some.

----
The thing with the voices for me is that i think some of them could use an update. Not that i expect them to make charles record new material for mario, as good as that would be, but i definitely expect them to keep using the voice over clips hes had since melee. But mainly what i was getting at was that some seem to think what we have seen so far is final, when truthfully things are still in flux and sakurai has said that in a number of miiverse posts. I think the moment to give us some final voicework would be for e3 and those best buy demos. Id really like bowser most of all to get his current voice, even speaking a single word or at least different tones to his voice could breath more life into him, because hes felt like a dumb brute in smash bros for so long because of the monster n64 sounds.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
These are the three that I see as well. I don't consider Tetra too likely due to the "no transformation" deal. If Tetra would be added, we'd have 3 Zeldas.
That being said, Tetra has potential to be a somewhat unique addition but people complain that Paper Mario is "another Mario" and "we don't need another version of an existing character." That would be 1 alternate character in the Mario series, while we already have 2 alternate versions of characters in the same series, Sheik(Zelda) and Toon Link(Link). So what's the problem with another Mario....?
You know the mascot of Nintendo?
The dude with the Red hat and blue overalls?
Paper cuts sting :urg:
Anyway! I don't see 3 Zelda's likely especially since Tetra has stiff competition with other potential Zelda newcomers. However she is among maybe the top 5 Zelda candidates in my opinion.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
1. And Ghirahim is one of them. Of course I won't deny he's a possibility. I have a strong belief that he isn't a good one, though.

2. I already acknowledged that one-offs are fair game, still. Also, we have to consider that the game releases this summer. In order for Ghirahim to have a known future, it'd have to be in Zelda U. If he's in it, fine, I think he'd be reasonable, but right now, no.

2. I can think of a reason easy: We don't need one. You also missed Tingle, but I know you're just gonna overestimate his "hatred" again without a source for your reason (since when was Zelda western?).

3. Mario, from the get go, deserved to have the main 4 characters, but instead, we saw lesser series fill the roster. Diversity is good to have.
1. Ghirahim still stands a chance, he has nothing against him so far
2. And again, How do you know Sakurai can't simply ask Eiji if Ghirahim is gonna be in another zelda because he wants to add him in another zelda game?
3. We don't need a completely unknown series either, pretty sure that casual gamers would give a **** if the series they don't even know it exists, What can I say? Tingle is indeed hated in the western while Ghirahim is liked in both America and Japan, it would make more sense to add him
4. We already getting 4 new series at least, we are probably getting other 4 new series at the least, there you have your diversity

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Just realized: If they decide to keep a clone Ganondorf (say, in OoT form) along with a new, revamped, closer to source version (using TP design), both selectable on the CSS, the zelda roster would be two links, two zeldas, and two ganondorfs. Equally balanced.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Wow guys, we've had a Zelda discussion for about 6 and a 1/2 pages now, it's getting boring TBH.
Heh, you should have been here when the Smash 4 section was new. Discussions usually lasted much longer than now. Then again, we actually had new things to talk about.

D

Deleted member

When was mewtwo (and a retro) hinted at? sorry not trying to get off topic from the Sal leak but now that there is no "leak" thread new "hinted at/leaked" info seems to get past me
Mewtwo was hinted here: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34700/sakurai-considering-mewtwo-for-next-smash-bros-games

A retro character was hinted here: http://www.cubed3.com/news/16920/1/...n-talks-kid-icarus-uprising-nintendo-3ds.html

Granted, the retro character hint is less pronounced, considering the very real possibility of the RosalinaX leak being real, but should it be false, I'd expect a retro character.
4) This shouldn't be a big deal at all. Are you expecting the entire roster to be off the wall choices? If not, then those characters being safe bets is meaningless. Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Chorus Men are crazy enough.
Not that I disagree with your point, but the Villager was not a shock character from Sakurai's perspective. Keep in mind that most people expected an Animal Crossing rep to show up during pre-Brawl and they were very highly requested to get in. Considering that we have reasons to believe that Sakurai has went through his poll for pre-Brawl, it's reasonable to believe that Sakurai did intend on adding the Villager for shock factor, but instead, for popularity.

Last edited by a moderator:

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
Mewtwo was hinted here: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34700/sakurai-considering-mewtwo-for-next-smash-bros-games

A retro character was hinted here: http://www.cubed3.com/news/16920/1/...n-talks-kid-icarus-uprising-nintendo-3ds.html

Granted, the retro character hint is less pronounced, considering the very real possibility of the RosalinaX leak being real, but should it be false, I'd expect a retro character.
Not that I disagree with your point, but the Villager was not a shock character from Sakurai's perspective. Keep in mind that most people expected an Animal Crossing rep to show up during pre-Brawl and they were very highly requested to get in. Considering that we have reasons to believe that Sakurai has went through his poll for pre-Brawl, it's reasonable to believe that Sakurai did intend on adding the Villager for shock factor, but instead, for popularity.
Honestly, I would say King K. Rool, Ridley and Pac-Man should be announced at E3. Build some hype right before the games release

The rest of the characters shouldn't be announced: let them be a surprise

So 33 announced characters with 17 hidden characters:

My guess for who they would be
  1. Captain Falcon
  2. Ness
  3. Snake
  4. Chrom
  5. Shulk
  6. Mr. Game and Watch
  7. R.O.B.
  8. Ice Climbers
  9. Meta Knight
  10. Wario
  11. Chibi-Robo (would make a great "Sakurai does what Sakurai pleases" character)
  12. Takamara
  13. Pauleta
  14. Wolf
  15. Mewtwo
  16. Chorus Men (same as Chibi Robo)
  17. Issac
Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Falco, Lucas and Ike do not return (I suppose all of them except Squirt and Ivy could return, but 54 seems like an odd number)...

Later on, I could see the following characters being downloadables that you can buy for 100-300 Wii U Points:
  1. Jigglypuff
  2. Falco
  3. Krystal (more girl representation)
  4. Lucas
  5. Ike
  6. Lyn (I'd prefer her over Roy since the game needs more female characters)
  7. Plusle and Minun
  8. Dixie Kong
  9. Mii
  10. Ghiralam
Bringing the total to about 60. I can see Sakurai waiting a good 7-10 years before the next one, so that would be satisfactory IMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom