• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
1 hit K.O sounds far more haxed than flying, this is what people were expecting for a playable ridley, sucker in the ground but god in the air, sakurai is adding a lot of new mechanics, villager can save items in his pocket, rosalina can use gravity, wii fit trainer can power up herself, it is not ridiculous tot hink that he added a character that can fly for a longer period than charizard or pit
lol u should look at the flying "idle" animation in the direct video, I doubt he would make a character hover like that all game. Then how do you expect little Mac to even use his 1 hit K.O in air. Something that little Mac will depend on cuz he lacks air game and recovery.

Also in the footage his not flying longer than charizard/Pit. His "hovering" idk if that's the right term.

A hovering character will really affect the balance on the game between char. The special moves u listed are all "counter-moves" like fox. Each char getting a defensive special move.

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
1 hit K.O sounds far more haxed than flying, this is what people were expecting for a playable ridley, sucker in the ground but god in the air, sakurai is adding a lot of new mechanics, villager can save items in his pocket, rosalina can use gravity, wii fit trainer can power up herself, it is not ridiculous tot hink that he added a character that can fly for a longer period than charizard or pit
Indeed, and we know sakurai probably wouldnt let it be broken either. Ridley could possibly be really light for his size, which could work against him being air born, as in dont fly too high since you might end up regretting being that close to the edge of the screen.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
lol u should look at the flying "idle" animation in the direct video, I doubt he would make a character hover like that all game. Then how do you expect little Mac to even use his 1 hit K.O in air. Something that little Mac will depend on cuz he lacks air game and recovery.

Also in the footage his not flying longer than charizard/Pit. His "hovering" idk if that's the right term.
Exactly Little mac 1 hit K.O isn't broken as he can't use it in the air and it is hard to hit him, ridley could easily be a light and tall character like rosalina, the player would have to be careful where he flies as being light he could easily get K.O if he is too close to the screen, also it wouldn't be that broken, characters like Pikachu can easily counter this mechanic with thunder for example

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Exactly Little mac 1 hit K.O isn't broken as he can't use it in the air and it is hard to hit him, ridley could easily be a light and tall character like rosalina, the player would have to be careful where he flies as being light he could easily get K.O if he is too close to the screen, also it wouldn't be that broken, characters like Pikachu can easily counter this mechanic with thunder for example
No I meant Little Mac can't use his 1 hit K.O at all in air. So a character like Ridley (flying) would literally destroy Mac. Especially when Mac is close-combat. I can see Ridley spamming projectiles at Mac.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
No I meant Little Mac can't use his 1 hit K.O at all in air. So a character like Ridley (flying) would literally destroy Mac. Especially when Mac is close-combat. I can see Ridley spamming projectiles at Mac.
Little mac is supposed to be a sucker in the air, little mac strategy when fighting ridley would be too force ridley to get close to him, pikachu would have an advantage against ridley for example as you would have to be careful with his thunder, the flying mechanic would be something new to the series just like all the newcomers have 1

Morbi

Scavenger
Aerial characters have to land eventually; Mac would not literally be destroyed if he couldn't use one of his attacks, he could just find an opening, probably through a grab.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Little mac is supposed to be a sucker in the air, little mac strategy when fighting ridley would be too force ridley to get close to him, pikachu would have an advantage against ridley for example as you would have to be careful with his thunder, the flying mechanic would be something new to the series just like all the newcomers have 1
How do you force Ridley get close to you as Mac? I thought it should be the other way around where Mac should be getting closer.

Aerial characters have to land eventually; Mac would not literally be destroyed if he couldn't use one of his attacks, he could just find an opening, probably through a grab.
you can grab in air?

-----------------------
Btw just saying I'm not saying Ridley isn't In the game,
just saying the footage we saw is most likely Ridley not as playable but as a boss.

I'm starting to get the idea of the flying mechanic, I'm starting to agree that it won't be that op. I see your guys points.

I am officially on both of your sides now.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
How do you force Ridley get close to you as Mac? I thought it should be the other way around where Mac should be getting closer.

you can grab in air?

-----------------------
just saying the footage we saw is most likely Ridley not as playable but as a boss.

I'm starting to get the idea of the flying mechanic, I'm starting to agree that it won't be that op. I see your guys points.

That's not my problem as I won't main little mac
It is impossible to tell by ridley's shadow if he is playable or a boss right now, only that ridley is not as big as he used to be in other m

Morbi

Scavenger
That's not my problem as I won't main little mac
It is impossible to tell by ridley's shadow if he is playable or a boss right now, only that ridley is not as big as he used to be in other m
I can't wait to see that tiny Ridley pick up Bowser, that will be hilarious.

you can grab in air?

-----------------------

You underlined the notion I was getting at, they will land eventually, that is when you grab/pressure.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
1. While I agree that popularity doesn't guarantee a character it can help, ghirahim may not be as popular as ridley, mewtwo etc but he is known
2. Agreed, Tingle isn't really that important to the series, he is just the weirdo that sells maps, tetra doesn't have as much moveset potential as ghirahim does (I may be wrong of course) and Vaati while he has moveset potential he is not as popular or requested as he was in brawl and there is no content from his games so far
3. Ghirahim so far is a one shot character but he could return in the future, my point that ghirahim has more potential than other zelda villains
4. SS content is still used by nintendo, game soundtrack was used for the e3 trailer and the enemies design is used in hyrule warriors
De-merits
1. Agreed, one shot characters aren't disqualified
2. I think only important characters in each franchise will get in smash
3. Tingle importance to the series is overrated in my opinion, he is the weirdo that sells maps and always plays a minor role in each game similar to beedle, another recurring character that always plays a minor role, I had yet to see a tetra original moveset, ghirahim would make more sense than tingle because
a) While Tingle is hated in America but liked in Japan, Ghirahim is popular in both of them
b) Zelda series is more succesful in amrica while in Japan so adding a character that america dislike wouldn't make sense to me
1. Well, yeah, so it shows no major support for him.
2. Comparing Ghirahim to the other characters was a mistake, and I'll explain why in a sec.
3. Yes, but say Ghirahim gets in, and is never seen again. Then, the point of putting him in is gone.
4. music is the deciding factor? Music for TP is definitely in Brawl. There isn't enough to say SS is getting special treatment, and nothing says it would support a character choice.

1. Yep.
2. You missed my point entirely. Not only that, but there is a major example where importance was overwritten: Rosalina (other candidates were far more important)
3. Now I'll explain why the comparison was redundant: Who says we're getting a new Zelda character? In order for him to get in, we'd need 6 Zelda characters, or a Ganondorf replacement (stupid, stupid idea). Giving the major 3 6 representatives each is taking away from the rest of the roster. That's 2 to 3 slots taken up that didn't need to be (2-3 because Pokemon could have 6 without it being too bad), and could've been used for other characters.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
1. Well, yeah, so it shows no major support for him.
2. Comparing Ghirahim to the other characters was a mistake, and I'll explain why in a sec.
3. Yes, but say Ghirahim gets in, and is never seen again. Then, the point of putting him in is gone.
4. music is the deciding factor? Music for TP is definitely in Brawl. There isn't enough to say SS is getting special treatment, and nothing says it would support a character choice.

1. Yep.
2. You missed my point entirely. Not only that, but there is a major example where importance was overwritten: Rosalina (other candidates were far more important)
3. Now I'll explain why the comparison was redundant: Who says we're getting a new Zelda character? In order for him to get in, we'd need 6 Zelda characters, or a Ganondorf replacement (stupid, stupid idea). Giving the major 3 6 representatives each is taking away from the rest of the roster. That's 2 to 3 slots taken up that didn't need to be (2-3 because Pokemon could have 6 without it being too bad), and could've been used for other characters.
1. But it shows that ghirahim is indeed supported, he is not gonna be on ridley's lvl for example but he isn't a complete unknown
2. But if he returns then the point wouldn't be gone
4. What I was trying to say is that nintendo still remembers skyward and therefore ghirahim, SS is not forgotten like minish cap for example

2. Rosalina only got over bowser jr and toad and there could still be a 6th mario rep considering pkmn is likely to get 6
3. Who says we are not? There is no max rep number for any series, Other characters like?

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
:4sheik:????????
But yeah, I agree with all your other points.

We don't know exactly why Sheik got in, and shouldn't make assumptions. I think Sheik was added to make the gimmik, and then kept because people like her more than Zelda anyway.

1. But it shows that ghirahim is indeed supported, he is not gonna be on ridley's lvl for example but he isn't a complete unknown
2. But if he returns then the point wouldn't be gone
4. What I was trying to say is that nintendo still remembers skyward and therefore ghirahim, SS is not forgotten like minish cap for example

2. Rosalina only got over bowser jr and toad and there could still be a 6th mario rep considering pkmn is likely to get 6
3. Who says we are not? There is no max rep number for any series, Other characters like?
1. I know, but a ton of characters are on that level. Skull Kid was.
2. Again, you missed my point entirely. The fact remains that we don't know if he'll appear again. Why would Sakurai be reckless enough to put in Ghirahim just because he thinks he will?
4. SS got items and a stage. That's all we know. We shouldn't make the assumption that its attention implies a character.

2. only? That's a pretty big feat, kiddo.Yes, there could, but.....
3. Nothing says we won't, but I'm sure the vast majority of people would rather we see other characters like Shulk, Isaac, and the like. Pokemon is reasonable for 6 because of how many characters is has and how many of them are so popular. Even so, we won't necessarily get 6. I still think we're only getting 5.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Because nobody can handle the dongs.
It's still strange. We're also missing out on a Yoshi AT... I was really sad not to see that in the direct.
Good bloody question. We're long overdue.

Cranky/Rambi/Klump & Krusha should make up for things this time around.
Krusha?

That works with me.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Krusha?

That works with me.

Assist Trophy - Klump and Krusha (by BKupa666)

These two served as high-ranking members of K. Rool's Kremling Krew during the original DKC, being two of the more challenging enemies in the game. They also appeared in a more comedic role in the esteemed Donkey Kong Country cartoon. Now, Klump and Krusha appear as an Assist Trophy to further plague the battlefield with their lizard lunacy. They spawn side by side and salute their summoner, Klump being slightly less wide than Dedede and slightly shorter than Ganondorf, while Krusha is less wide than Klump, but taller than Ganondorf by a hair. Putting his military expertise to great use, Klump begins marching around the stage, placing Soccer Ball-sized Orange Grenades on the ground at random. Should these come in contact with a character, they'll explode, dealing 15% and great horizontal knockback. Occasionally, Klump will plant multiple Grenades side by side, causing all of them to explode at once if even one is touched, creating a massive, damaging hitbox.

Unfortunately, like the loveable lunkhead he is, Krusha tends to get in the way of Klump's little plan. He too lumbers around the stage at random, but if he comes across an Orange Grenade, he'll pick it up and eat it, declaring 'Mmm, yummy!' in his dopey voice. This removes it from the stage, preventing foes from being hit into it. The summoner can prevent Krusha's hunger from getting in the way, though; although Klump cannot be attacked, Krusha can, upon which he'll be knocked back slightly, but will simply laugh it off, as he does in DKC. To ensure Orange Grenades remain a danger to opponents, it is a wise idea to knock Krusha away from them whenever he comes close, or knock him off the stage entirely to get rid of him. Klump plants approximately ten Orange Grenades over a period of twenty seconds before disappearing, taking Krusha with him if he's still around. Orange Grenades last as long as Snake's C4s if they are not hit. Klump and Krusha appear somewhat rarely as Assist Trophies, but are more likely to appear when K. Rool himself is the summoner.

I believe we're going to get more specific series-related ATs this time around what with Sakurai's quote about ATs working into All-Star mode. If I had to guess, ATs will be very common items in the mode, and when you fight characters from each series, only ATs from that series will show up to help KO the 48 or so characters on the roster, since there are so many of them.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
We don't know exactly why Sheik got in, and shouldn't make assumptions. I think Sheik was added to make the gimmik, and then kept because people like her more than Zelda anyway.

1. I know, but a ton of characters are on that level. Skull Kid was.
2. Again, you missed my point entirely. The fact remains that we don't know if he'll appear again. Why would Sakurai be reckless enough to put in Ghirahim just because he thinks he will?
4. SS got items and a stage. That's all we know. We shouldn't make the assumption that its attention implies a character.

2. only? That's a pretty big feat, kiddo.Yes, there could, but.....
3. Nothing says we won't, but I'm sure the vast majority of people would rather we see other characters like Shulk, Isaac, and the like. Pokemon is reasonable for 6 because of how many characters is has and how many of them are so popular. Even so, we won't necessarily get 6. I still think we're only getting 5.
1. And few of them are not deconfirmed
2. Sakurai added Sheik and simple, how do you know he can't simply ask eiji if ghirahim could appear again?
4. Not saying that it does but it helps his chances a little, I would say that he is 30% likely
2. Rosalina only competition was bowser jr and toad from the beginning and like I said there could still be a 6th mario rep
3. And who says we can't get a 6th zelda/mario/pokemon rep with shulk and Isaac, etc? btw I'm sure the vast majority of people would rather mewtwo or bowser jr than the likes of shulk, isaac, ray, etc anyway
You are assuming that the roster won't be big enough to have 6 reps for the main series and 1 character for the rest which might be true but it may not

Glyphoscythe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphoscythe
3DS FC
0834-0985-0680
Even if Sakurai still wants to be lazy and/or quick about Ganondorf, he could give him a more canon moveset simply by borrowing some moves (from non-falcon characters) and giving them an evil remix. Aurasphere? Just add electricity and now it's dead man's volley! No more wizard's foot, Stalfos knight instead. Up b? Teleport with purple & black energy. There's your last minute canon Ganon.

Make no mistake though, I'm not advocating this, I'd prefer he gets some new moves made from scratch. Just throwing that out there.

Bash Master from Tropical Freeze would be a great assist trophy. Unfortunately, I'm doubtful that much of anything from TF would make its way to Smash since it's so recent. I hope I'm wrong about that.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Even if Sakurai still wants to be lazy and/or quick about Ganondorf, he could give him a more canon moveset simply by borrowing some moves (from non-falcon characters) and giving them an evil remix. Aurasphere? Just add electricity and now it's dead man's volley! No more wizard's foot, Stalfos knight instead. Up b? Teleport with purple & black energy. There's your last minute canon Ganon.

Make no mistake though, I'm not advocating this, I'd prefer he gets some new moves made from scratch. Just throwing that out there.

Bash Master from Tropical Freeze would be a great assist trophy. Unfortunately, I'm doubtful that much of anything from TF would make its way to Smash since it's so recent. I hope I'm wrong about that.
Seeing as to how there is DKCR music (as shown in the items trailer of the Smash Direct), I'm sure we will get something.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The lack of DK content shown so far is actually kinda shocking. I mean... it's not in the same place it was during Brawl's time, now it's actually a series Nintendo seems to be giving a crap about.

Thought we would've seen... I dunno, at least a stage or AT or something by now. And not that durn Jungle Japes. It's been far too long since we've got a DK stage that actually looks fun to play on.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Seeing as to how there is DKCR music (as shown in the items trailer of the Smash Direct), I'm sure we will get something.
Oh, was that what that was? Interesting.

There seems to be a focus on DKCR content in this game. I find it interesting that there's an apparent lack of Tropical Freeze content, as far as we know. I wonder how that bodes for Dixie...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Part of me wants to cry conspiracy about us not knowing anything about Donkey Kong besides DK and Diddy (and, up until recently, Jungle Japes, Kritters, and Tiki Buzzes). Like, are they holding off a stage reveal because it's Gangplank Galleon and K. Rool is involved somehow? But then again, we've seen eff-all for Kirby, Star Fox, Yoshi, Mother, F-Zero, and a number of other franchises as well, and surely they're not hiding anything major.

EDIT: Forgot, there's also that cool Rocket Barrel remix, which gives away very little about stages. It could fit on virtually any DK stage, and was probably always going to be added because it's the single most iconic new track from Retro's games, and the only one that carried over into Tropical Freeze from Returns.

Last edited:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this has something to do with the amount of DK content, but wasn't DK made by Microsoft or something?

Shalashaska

Banned via Warnings
Not sure if this has something to do with the amount of DK content, but wasn't DK made by Microsoft or something?
His current design and many of the characters from his series were made by Rare, which is now owned by Microsoft.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Part of me wants to cry conspiracy about us not knowing anything about Donkey Kong besides DK and Diddy (and, up until recently, Jungle Japes, Kritters, and Tiki Buzzes). Like, are they holding off a stage reveal because it's Gangplank Galleon and K. Rool is involved somehow? But then again, we've seen eff-all for Kirby, Star Fox, Yoshi, Mother, F-Zero, and a number of other franchises as well, and surely they're not hiding anything major.
I think they're just taking a while to show off stuff like that, really. It took quite a while before we saw practically anything Pokemon related, for example, and then we started getting a pretty large amount of content from that series. I'm sure we'll get around to those other series in time.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think they're just taking a while to show off stuff like that, really. It took quite a while before we saw practically anything Pokemon related, for example, and then we started getting a pretty large amount of content from that series. I'm sure we'll get around to those other series in time.
My earlier theory was that Sakurai has shown off mostly the stages with few to no hazards thus far, due to them being more easy to use when taking carefully posed screenshots. We'll see how true that proves to be after the rest get shown off, although since the Wii U version won't come out until almost 2015, that could take a while.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I saw Mac talk and I just want to say that I really dont like the one hit KO move. It seemed easy to combo into. Well from what I saw in the trailer at least. He combo'd into it with a jab.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Been a while, so here's my newest roster design. I based it around the menu screens we saw in the direct, so it should be more true to form.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I saw Mac talk and I just want to say that I really dont like the one hit KO move. It seemed easy to combo into. Well from what I saw in the trailer at least. He combo'd into it with a jab.
Keep in mind that much of that gameplay footage was set up specifically to show off Little Mac's OHKO, rather than to be a competent two-sided fight. It might be far more difficult to land in actual gameplay, especially if its range is as limited as it appears to be.

D

Deleted member

Been a while, so here's my newest roster design. I based it around the menu screens we saw in the direct, so it should be more true to form.
Suggestion: Maybe fill in the black backgrounds on each character slot? It kind of feels empty to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
1. And few of them are not deconfirmed
2. Sakurai added Sheik and simple, how do you know he can't simply ask eiji if ghirahim could appear again?
4. Not saying that it does but it helps his chances a little, I would say that he is 30% likely
2. Rosalina only competition was bowser jr and toad from the beginning and like I said there could still be a 6th mario rep
3. And who says we can't get a 6th zelda/mario/pokemon rep with shulk and Isaac, etc? btw I'm sure the vast majority of people would rather mewtwo or bowser jr than the likes of shulk, isaac, ray, etc anyway
You are assuming that the roster won't be big enough to have 6 reps for the main series and 1 character for the rest which might be true but it may not
1. There are A LOT of possibilities still out there, so......
2. Sheik could be an exception because she was attached to Zelda. I don't know one way or the other. How do I know he can't ask? I don't. How we we know he'd be told?
4. I just don't think the stage and such means anything it terms of characters.

2. Ghirahim's competition is much larger, and while there can be a 6th, I see no reason for there to be one. Other characters, I think, should have more priority.
3. Mewtwo, probably, but I doubt B Jr. is THAT popular. That`s why I think Pokemon is the most likely to get 6, if any.

There's a difference between thinking the roster won't be big enough, and seeing no significant reason to populate Mario or Zelda more than there already is. At least Pokemon has an excuse to.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Just needs a certain puffball in there, I think. Don't know where, though. Other than that, very nice roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom