• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I still have major doubts about Ridley, but my confidence is higher than ever.

If Ridley is a boss like he was teased to be, why does he move like that? He flies forward, stays in place for about 3 seconds, and then flies forward again, without attacking at all. I don't know about you, but that doesn't seem like something a boss would do.

Do I have doubts about Ridley? Hell yes. But is my confidence dead? Not even close.
But like Yellow devil, he stays in one place and attacks with fire balls out of his eyes.

Plus, we can't tell what's exactly happening because the only thing we see is a shadow of Ridley.......actually we can see ridley clearly if we look at the shadow......he wasn't attacking and he was in idle as shown in the shadow....COULD RIDLEY POSSIBLY B PLAYABLE???

Wrong lol...why?....cuz I doubt a playable character could be in the air for soooooo long. No character can fly like that especially charizard or pit.

D

Deleted member

Golden loves the idea of Akumadorf, but I think it would be cooler to give him a combination of Akuma and M. Bison's moves instead.

Both characters' moves fit Ganondorf really well.
Which is something I brought up before as well.
M. Akumadorf FTW.

Trust me, I understand the "reasons" for it, but that doesn't excuse it, at least not in my eyes. Especially when it comes to Brawl.
Back then it made perfect sense.
Not so much in Brawl, though the reason is attributed to the fact he was like that in Melee, and thus Sakurai did not wish to alienate people who played as him too much.
Though he made some changes such as Flame Choke, which is a step in the right direction.

And with Pit seemingly getting a full rehaul, I wouldn't be surprised if Ganondorf did the same. (While B. Shadow comes in as a newcomer with Ganondorf's old style :awesome:)

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
But like Yellow devil, he stays in one place and attacks with fire balls out of his eyes.

Plus, we can't tell what's exactly happening because the only thing we see is a shadow of Ridley.......actually we can see ridley clearly if we look at the shadow......he wasn't attacking and he was in idle as shown in the shadow....COULD RIDLEY POSSIBLY B PLAYABLE???

Wrong lol...why?....cuz I doubt a playable character could be in the air for soooooo long. No character can fly like that especially charizard or pit.
Sakurai could've added some item to keep him airborn.

Last edited:

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
M. Akumadorf FTW.

Not so much in Brawl, though the reason is attributed to the fact he was like that in Melee, and thus Sakurai did not wish to alienate people who played as him too much.
Though he made some changes such as Flame Choke, which is a step in the right direction.

And with Pit seemingly getting a full rehaul, I wouldn't be surprised if Ganondorf did the same. (While B. Shadow comes in as a newcomer with Ganondorf's old style :awesome:)
Ah, Black Shadow...a man can dream...

But yeah, with Pit getting new moves plus Z.S.Samus getting overhauled plus Zelda and Sheik getting new specials PLUS many other characters getting changes as well...it would be insanely disappointing if Ganondorf didn't receive the same treatment.

D

Deleted member

Ah, Black Shadow...a man can dream...

But yeah, with Pit getting new moves plus Z.S.Samus getting overhauled plus Zelda and Sheik getting new specials PLUS many other characters getting changes as well...it would be insanely disappointing if Ganondorf didn't receive the same treatment.
To be fair, the reason I brought Pit up is because he's pretty much not the same as he was before. For example, the only Special he retains from Brawl is the Palutena's Arrow.

Everyone else just has a small change here or there.

Last edited by a moderator:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai could've added some item to keep him airborn.
the only item that is possible for that is the tanooki/leaf item where u get that squirrel tail to keep you in the air. But, He had his own tail as shown in the video no items were attached to him.

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
I will never understand how people don't get that Ganondorf was a last-minute addition to Melee.

EDIT: He wasn't initially planned to be in Melee; he was added when clones (last minute roster padding) were decided upon because his body type matched C. Falcon and Sakurai was at a loss for other clones (Ganondorf was literally the last character added to Melee).
Can I get a source please?

Regardless, I think it's guaranteed Ganondorf's getting an overhaul this time.

If they're going to make such a big deal about Bowser and Yoshi standing upright, I'm sure they'd love to show us a better Ganondorf.
We can only hope man. We can only hope.

Morbi

Scavenger
M. Akumadorf FTW.

This isn't necessarily too relevant; but with move-set customization, I imagine that a player could actually de-clone specials themselves. So Sakurai could just focus on changing some of his left-over normals.

D

Deleted member

This isn't necessarily too relevant; but with move-set customization, I imagine that a player could actually de-clone specials themselves. So Sakurai could just focus on changing some of his left-over normals.
From what we've seen of customization, there's still the basic nature of the Special in itself.
The only exception is Kirby's Inhale turning into an Ice Breath exhale attack, though it still uses the same animation.

Ganondorf (other than Flame Choke) already has specials that are similar, but function differently from Falcon's. If my hypothesis is correct, all that could be done with customization is make them function more differently (that doesn't sound grammatically correct to me; is it?) while still being similar.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, the reason I brought Pit up is because he's pretty much not the same as he was before. For example, the only Special he retains from Brawl is the Palutena's Arrow.

Everyone else just has a small change here or there.
I see what you're saying. The point I was trying to make is that all the characters were being buffed/altered based on need and of course, balancing. Now if there is any character that really needs that...it's Ganondorf! Not because his moves still mirror Captain Falcon's, but because he was terrible to play as. He's too slow, too heavy so he fell fast, his jumps were bad and his moves took way too long to hit (mainly his up tilt). That's the point I'm trying to make.

Morbi

Scavenger
I see what you're saying. The point I was trying to make is that all the characters were being buffed/altered based on need and of course, balancing. Now if there is any character that really needs that...it's Ganondorf! Not because his moves still mirror Captain Falcon's, but because he was terrible to play as. He's too slow, too heavy so he fell fast, his jumps were bad and his moves took way too long to hit (mainly his up tilt). That's the point I'm trying to make.
I don't necessarily think that Ganon needs altered; I just believe that he needs MORE POWER. If you know what I mean, seriously, if he is going to be that slow, heavy, and fast-falling, they should increase the reward. Make him the ultimate definitive heavy weight.
From what we've seen of customization, there's still the basic nature of the Special in itself.
The only exception is Kirby's Inhale turning into an Ice Breath exhale attack, though it still uses the same animation.

Ganondorf (other than Flame Choke) already has specials that are similar, but function differently from Falcon's. If my hypothesis is correct, all that could be done with customization is make them function more differently (that doesn't sound grammatically correct to me; is it?) while still being similar.
I believe that is grammatically correct. Anyways, I agree. The base move is the same, but the alterations are going to be enough for me, personally.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Golden loves the idea of Akumadorf, but I think it would be cooler to give him a combination of Akuma and M. Bison's moves instead.

Both characters' moves fit Ganondorf really well.
Screw Megaman M. Bison for Smash!
-image removed-

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I believe that is grammatically correct. Anyways, I agree. The base move is the same, but the alterations are going to be enough for me, personally.
One change (not to do with customization) that would work while doing practically nothing.

Turn Wizard's Foot into M. Bison's Psycho Crusher.

Keeps the function of Wizard's Foot while not looking like Falcon Kick. :awesome: Trick people into thinking it's a brand new move!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd like to remind people to please not post images/videos/gifs/etc that don't directly relate to Smash, memes of any kind, and/or content which could cause the thread to become derailed. Thank you.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace

Yeah, I know it is ridiculous, Do you remember when people suggested a character that had a 1 hit K.O attack? It will never happen...oh wait

Niala

Smash Ace
With regard to Ganondorf, and while I agree he probably does need a revamp, I wouldn't be sad if he didn't receive it. He was one of my favourite characters in Melee and Brawl, (although he felt incredibly weak to the point where he was nearly unplayable in Brawl). Even if he just received a speed buff, I'd be sold on him again I'm sure.

Morbi

Scavenger
With regard to Ganondorf, and while I agree he probably does need a revamp, I wouldn't be sad if he didn't receive it. He was one of my favourite characters in Melee and Brawl, (although he felt incredibly weak to the point where he was nearly unplayable in Brawl). Even if he just received a speed buff, I'd be sold on him again I'm sure.
Have you ever tried Ganondorf in FFA? He is no longer weak and nearly unplayable, that only really applies to a competitive meta-game. But other than that, I completely agree. He probably does need an overhaul, but I would be content if he didn't receive it. I don't really think he needs a speed buff, I enjoy that his gimmick is being the slowest character. I want something that actually accentuates his character... like MORE POWER!

Niala

Smash Ace
Have you ever tried Ganondorf in FFA? He is no longer weak and nearly unplayable, that only really applies to a competitive meta-game. But other than that, I completely agree. He probably does need an overhaul, but I would be content if he didn't receive it. I don't really think he needs a speed buff, I enjoy that his gimmick is being the slowest character. I want something that actually accentuates his character... like MORE POWER!
Mhm, in Free-for-alls he's still definitely playable. The unfortunate thing is, I usually play with my roommate so most of my games are 1v1s, most often without items. We occasionally have friends over, in which case I end up playing Ganon a lot, simply because the success rate of a game with Ganondorf is directly proportional to how many ******* you hit with a wizard punch.

I get your point though, I think he just, in a 1v1 setting anyway, needs some sort of ability to approach and/or more options for spacing. He still packs a hard punch when he hits, although I suppose making it even harder might work too. 8)

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Regardless, I think it's guaranteed Ganondorf's getting an overhaul this time..
I would hope so as well, but part of me is weary due to sakurai sticking to certain traditions in odd places. He might want to please the fans of his old moveset, he might want the change too. But i just cant shake the feeling it wont be as good as we are all hoping it will be.

Niala

Smash Ace
I would hope so as well, but part of me is weary due to sakurai sticking to certain traditions in odd places. He might want to please the fans of his old moveset, he might want the change too. But i just cant shake the feeling it wont be as good as we are all hoping it will be.
I understand the feeling, it's the same one you get when you're watching a horror movie and you know the really attractive couple having sex are going to die, but the killer hasn't shown up yet. It's that impending doom looming in your throat.

I've made an effort to not let my expectations get the better of me, though, and instead am just kinda going with the flow, rather than trying to predict and make assumptions about what's going to happen, with incredibly little success might I add. It's easier to just accept whatever comes your way.

I'm confident that he'll be revamped (or replaced with Pig Ganon), Sakurai should know by now that he needs to do something.
I'd like to think so as well, but you never know~

Last edited:

*The Sensus Crustulum*

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't Sakurai main Ganondorf though? I'm not saying he won't change his moveset but it seems odd to change something you like.
Unless Black Shadow retains Ganondorf's moveset. :awesome:

Last edited:

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I know it is ridiculous, Do you remember when people suggested a character that had a 1 hit K.O attack? It will never happen...oh wait
FYI I'm not those "people"......just saying....

Your comparing a 1 hit K.O mechanic with a character that will be able to fly? I SAY, "GOOD LUCK LITTLE MAC" cuz he has to fight him in air.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
FYI I'm not those "people"......

Your comparing a 1 hit K.O mechanic with a character that will be able to fly? I SAY, "GOOD LUCK LITTLE MAC" cuz he has to fight him in air.
1 hit K.O sounds far more haxed than flying, this is what people were expecting for a playable ridley, sucker in the ground but god in the air, sakurai is adding a lot of new mechanics, villager can save items in his pocket, rosalina can use gravity, wii fit trainer can power up herself, it is not ridiculous tot hink that he added a character that can fly for a longer period than charizard or pit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom