• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't know, seeing how Jr.'s been left out of Mario Kart and other recent Mario, his chances have dropped quite a bit since the last time we've thought of a new one.
No, it really hasn't.

What's actually hurt his chances is Rosalina being in. He can still easily be in as a low-priority semi-clone addition.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
On the Zelda conversation: Vaati would be the coolest character, in my opinion.

On a side rant: I want a Smash/Kirby style game with the following characters.

(Mario Series): Shadow Mario (Secretly baby bowser, sorry for the mario sunshine spoiler), Dry Bowser, Waluigi
(Zelda Series): Shadow Link (As per Zelda II and the Smash event match of all black) And Shadow Link (As Per Ocarina of Time, and Four Swords Adventures, with the greyscale and red eyes) And Ravio.
(Metroid Series): Dark Samus
(Kirby Series): Shadow Kirby, Shadow Dedede, Shadow Meta Knight, Galactica Knight
(F-Zero): Blood Falcon
(Star Fox Series): Wolf O'Donnell
(Kid Icarus Series): Pittoo/Dark Pit. Whatever you like calling him. Pseudo Palutena

Now rip off the plot of Kirby and the Amazing Mirror/Kirby Triple Deluxe/ Level 6 of Kid Icarus: Uprising with the mirror that makes Pittoo.

Call it:
Smash Brothers Episode II: Attack of the Clones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh-BEKM-jRc

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
I'll defend him. When people ask me why I don't support Ghirahim instead, I'll say "Why not support both?"

That's sounds far-fetched, though. I don't think many of you would understand.
No, it really hasn't.

What's actually hurt his chances is Rosalina being in. He can still easily be in as a low-priority semi-clone addition.
I highly doubt we'll get any semi-clone newcomers. I remember Sakurai saying that he was choosing newcomers based on uniqueness so it would be extremely counterproductive to have newcomers that are semi-clones. If Bowser Jr got in then I'm positive he'd be very different than Bowser.

I'm not sure how I ended up quoting Kenith. That was an accident so disregard it.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
New Zelda character? How about no one?

Alternatively, Sheik is our Zelda newcomer. :troll:

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I want to bring this up again : DLC.

I didn't think it would be in Smash Bros. 4,until that new Mario Golf Game came out...Who wants to play Golf as Bowser anyways?

Knowing this is the Character Discussion,WHAT characters (this is getting old,I know) would be in it. Mind that you think hard this time,I don't want a reply in the next 30 seconds. Think about characters that would obviously make it,then rule out newcomers most likely (sure,including Gematsu leak) to be confirmed. Wait,did I just make a how-to make a DLC list?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

I didn't think it would be in Smash Bros. 4,until that new Mario Golf Game came out...Who wants to play Golf as Bowser anyways?

Knowing this is the Character Discussion,WHAT characters (this is getting old,I know) would be in it. Mind that you think hard this time,I don't want a reply in the next 30 seconds. Think about characters that would obviously make it,then rule out newcomers most likely (sure,including Gematsu leak) to be confirmed. Wait,did I just make a how-to make a DLC list?
I'd laugh if we got Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach as DLC.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't being surprised if it contained Brawl veterans that were cut due to technical/time constraints. I could also see planned characters like Roy as DLC (especially if Ike makes it back to the initial roster)

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

As far as DLC characters, I think we just might see Shadow, Pichu, or Roy. Someone along those lines

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Maybe something like alternate costumes could work for DLC, like along the lines of what Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac have. I imagine the obvious ones would be stuff like Dr. Mario, or perhaps Dry Bowser. There's definitely a ton of alternate versions of various characters, so having some optional costumes that lets you play as those alternate versions could be an easy route to take for DLC.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice

I honestly can't see Mario, Pokemon and Zelda having more than 5 playable reps on the INITIAL roster so I would have to believe that those franchises would be the first DLCs to come out. The DLC will probably be a "package" that features a character, stage and music.

Mewtwo is the perfect hype machine to start DLC off with, his stage could be Unknown Dungeon or Team Rocket's Lab which would be cool.

Paper Mario or Bowser Jr would probably be next. Not sure what stage they could bring.

Ghirahim or Tetra could be the Zelda newcomer or any of the other possibilities from the long Zelda discussion on the previous 3 pages.

I can a Golden Sun package for Matthew. I really think Sakurai would use him over Isaac since he's the current main character.

Snake could return as DLC.

I can see Magnus from Kid Icarus, Dixie or King K Rool if they don't make the Initial roster, Wonder Red and maybe a few others depending on how long they want to support DLC for the game.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Maybe something like alternate costumes could work for DLC, like along the lines of what Wii Fit Trainer and Little Mac have. I imagine the obvious ones would be stuff like Dr. Mario, or perhaps Dry Bowser. There's definitely a ton of alternate versions of various characters, so having some optional costumes that lets you play as those alternate versions could be an easy route to take for DLC.
Like,what? A seperately sold Alt. Costume or a Pack like 10 costumes for $5?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

I would rather not have DLC characters, I want them all on the disc - the game's been in development for over two years by three corporations, I'm sure its doable.

That being said, DLC music and costumes would be awesome!

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Just took the actual reasons out for space and summarized them a few words before my response.

Merits

(popular) 1. Me may be popular, but so are a ton of other characters that are more deserving to get in Smash.

(moveset potential) 2. Again, so do many other characters deserving. Even when limited to Zelda, characters I consider more worthy are Tingle, Tetra, and even Vaati.

(potential future) 3. Putting in a character based on speculation for future games is a big no-no, imo.

(major SS focus) 4. Wait, what? SS has, so far, a stage, and item(s). TP had a stage, and 3 TP designed characters (dunno if any items. Doubt it). Considering that these designs are returning (pending the 3rd, but....), I really don't see the major SS focus.

De-Merit Counters

(one-shot) 1. I consider Sheik an acception, but I do agree that 1-shots aren't disqualified. I do think, however, it hurts the importance.

("important") 2. That just sounds like a gigantic technicality being abused by the word "important". I really don't think that will be taken into account in Smash Bros.

(competition) 3. A lot of Zelda competition, yeah. Personally, I think Tetra, Tingle, and Vaati all are more appealing. Tingle, again, I think his hatred is heavily overestimated because his games didn't appear in North America. Tetra would be a third Zelda, but this would be 3 Zeldas completely unique to the point of having to know the character to know it's even Zelda. Link's all have limited differences outside of game-exclusive gimmiks. Finally, there's Vaati, who I think just gets hurt by his lack of his human form in 2/3 appearances.
[/quote]
1. While I agree that popularity doesn't guarantee a character it can help, ghirahim may not be as popular as ridley, mewtwo etc but he is known
2. Agreed, Tingle isn't really that important to the series, he is just the weirdo that sells maps, tetra doesn't have as much moveset potential as ghirahim does (I may be wrong of course) and Vaati while he has moveset potential he is not as popular or requested as he was in brawl and there is no content from his games so far
3. Ghirahim so far is a one shot character but he could return in the future, my point that ghirahim has more potential than other zelda villains
4. SS content is still used by nintendo, game soundtrack was used for the e3 trailer and the enemies design is used in hyrule warriors
De-merits
1. Agreed, one shot characters aren't disqualified
2. I think only important characters in each franchise will get in smash
3. Tingle importance to the series is overrated in my opinion, he is the weirdo that sells maps and always plays a minor role in each game similar to beedle, another recurring character that always plays a minor role, I had yet to see a tetra original moveset, ghirahim would make more sense than tingle because
a) While Tingle is hated in America but liked in Japan, Ghirahim is popular in both of them
b) Zelda series is more succesful in amrica while in Japan so adding a character that america dislike wouldn't make sense to me

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I still have major doubts about Ridley, but my confidence is higher than ever.

If Ridley is a boss like he was teased to be, why does he move like that? He flies forward, stays in place for about 3 seconds, and then flies forward again, without attacking at all. I don't know about you, but that doesn't seem like something a boss would do.

Do I have doubts about Ridley? Hell yes. But is my confidence dead? Not even close.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

If Ridley is a boss like he was teased to be, why does he move like that? He flies forward, stays in place for about 3 seconds, and then flies forward again, without attacking at all. I don't know about you, but that doesn't seem like something a boss would do.

Do I have doubts about Ridley? Hell yes. But is my confidence dead? Not even close.
Remember from the SSE when Ridley would stay in a position for 3 seconds,then screech?

Good times.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice

Well, if you look at the shadows you can see that Ridley picks Pikachu up right before the clip ends. Now I will agree that it looks odd, but then again we never had Stage Hazard Bosses before so they could act a little differently when compared to the Brawl boss battles.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Well, if you look at the shadows you can see that Ridley picks Pikachu up right before the clip ends. Now I will agree that it looks odd, but then again we never had Stage Hazard Bosses before so they could act a little differently when compared to the Brawl boss battles.
Does he? I haven't noticed that.
This is interesting, because it could go either way.

He could pick you up and scrape you against the wall.

Or he could have used his grab. So this really makes things even harder to decide.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Sigh, Ridley discussion...

So the stage is called "Pyrosphere"? But its specifically the " Geothermal Power Plant" where Ridley is fought?

And there are multiple bosses in the Pyrosphere in Other M?

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
Does he? I haven't noticed that.
This is interesting, because it could go either way.

He could pick you up and scrape you against the wall.

Or he could have used his grab. So this really makes things even harder to decide.
Yeah it could go either way. This is Sakurai after all and he does love being a troll every now and then.

Personally I don't care much if Ridley is playable but it would be awesome to play as him though. The only hopeful newcomer I care about is Isaac/Matthew.

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
I've given up hope on Ridley. If he's in then he's in (and I'll be happy). If he's not then it's whatever.

I'm more concerned about Ganon being a C.Falcon semi-clone still. If Ganon doesn't get a new moveset now then we will probably never see Ganon with his own original moveset ever =/

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
I've given up hope on Ridley. If he's in then he's in (and I'll be happy). If he's not then it's whatever.

I'm more concerned about Ganon being a C.Falcon semi-clone still. If Ganon doesn't get a new moveset now then we will probably never see Ganon with his own original moveset ever =/
I will never understand how a character who has shown many different attacks and abilities for many years is somehow given a made up moveset for Captain Falcon. It baffles me as it literally makes no sense.

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
I will never understand how a character who has shown many different attacks and abilities for many years is somehow given a made up moveset for Captain Falcon. It baffles me as it literally makes no sense.
Sakurai can be wired sometimes. Was Gannondorf one of the last fighters in melee maybe so he just made him a clone?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It's because Ganondorf and Captain falcon have the same bod, man. This pic proves it.
-image removed-

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I will never understand how people don't get that Ganondorf was a last-minute addition to Melee.

EDIT: He wasn't initially planned to be in Melee; he was added when clones (last minute roster padding) were decided upon because his body type matched C. Falcon and Sakurai was at a loss for other clones (Ganondorf was literally the last character added to Melee).

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Regardless, I think it's guaranteed Ganondorf's getting an overhaul this time.

If they're going to make such a big deal about Bowser and Yoshi standing upright, I'm sure they'd love to show us a better Ganondorf.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice
I will never understand how people don't get that Ganondorf was a last-minute addition to Melee.

EDIT: He wasn't initially planned to be in Melee; he was added when clones (last minute roster padding) were decided upon because his body type matched C. Falcon and Sakurai was at a loss for other clones (Ganondorf was literally the last character added to Melee).
Trust me, I understand the "reasons" for it, but that doesn't excuse it, at least not in my eyes. Especially when it comes to Brawl.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I don't see Ganondorf getting a huge overhaul, but I can see some moves get changed here and there. Maybe give him a sword and change his neutral and down special, which is honestly all I think he needs. The rest of the moves seem to fit him pretty well.

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302

Sceptile Move-Set

Neutral Special - Solar Beam
Up Special - Agility
Down Special - Detect
Side Special - Quick Attack

Final Smash - Leaf Storm

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Golden loves the idea of Akumadorf, but I think it would be cooler to give him a combination of Akuma and M. Bison's moves instead.

Both characters' moves fit Ganondorf really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom