• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Wof counts as a ballot character I'll flip my ****. Way to keep us excited for something that should've been in the vanilla game in the first place...

Which in fact could be said about Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy as well. But am keeping silent for the moment being... I know this will probably anger me much more later on when it's evident that our "ballot characters" will be Wolf and someone like Snake or Ice Climbers...

I swear only King K.Rool / Isac / Impa / Dixie Kong will satisfy this drought of a thirst I have for good DLC content.

Last edited:

mark welford

Smash Ace
If Wof counts as a ballot character I'll flip my ****. Way to keep us excited for something that should've been in the vanilla game in the first place...

Which in fact could be said about Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy as well. But am keeping silent for the moment being... I know this will probably anger me much more later on when it's evident that our "ballot characters" will be Wolf and someone like Snake or Ice Climbers...

I swear only King K.Rool / Isac / Impa / Dixie Kong will satisfy this drought of a thirst I have for good DLC content.
I agree with you and I know Sakurai is not oblivious to the fact that Wolf is in high demand by fans even people who don't care for Wolf don't understand him being cut.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
All I really want at this point in time is clarification as to how the ballot actually works.

Right now, we're scrambling around trying to make sense of it and drawing arbitrary lines in the sand to vindicate our, in all blunt-force honesty, absolute ignorance. If Sakurai just came out and said, "Okay, here's how it works..." we'd at least know where we stand.

As it is, we're just trying to make sense of a man whose thought process brought us the nameless silhouette from a fitness game and a ballistic dog and duck as newcomers.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Some people have been asking me for my opinion on what the future of Smash DLC looks like. So, I wrote an article about my thoughts. Essentially, I'm in the camp that believe we will only get two additional characters, and development is getting ready to end.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
Some people have been asking me for my opinion on what the future of Smash DLC looks like. So, I wrote an article about my thoughts. Essentially, I'm in the camp that believe we will only get two additional characters, and development is getting ready to end.
To be honest, I'm not as optimistic about Wolf as I was two months ago. I feel like his chances diminish more and more every day.

D

Deleted member

Wolf is the only one I feel positive about.

Snake is 50/50 to me (too many factors in play to know for sure), the Ice Climbers have no shot unless Sakurai found a way to retool them in a way that doesn't compromise their Smash identity, Pichu is iffy at best, and Young Link, Squirtle, and Ivysaur don't have a shot in Hell, especially Young Link (I don't feel like getting into an argument on the other two, so don't bother starting one).

Last edited by a moderator:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Really? I feel like his chances improve every day.
As much as I want him back, all evidence is falling in to place, we most likely have two more characters left. We only have one DLC newcomer and no female DLC yet.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
We're talking about the total number of DLC characters we're getting? So here's my scenario if we're only going to get six characters, which while is something I don't really expect but is I think completely plausible:

August Direct:
- A new trailer starts, Fox and Falco are on Orbital Gate Assault, with the Andross Assist Trophy on the background. Fox and Falco are shown using their Blaster, then Fox picks up a Smart Bomb and throws it, to simulate a fight between them and Andross. Then we have a black a black screen, and we hear "Can't let you do that, Star Fox!" with Wolf's voice; a laser is shown destroying the Smart Bomb, and Wolf does his entrance animation, with a tagline "Wolf [insert something here]!" (sorry no inspiration for this one), then we get the gameplay part of his trailer.
- Still in the August Direct, we see Satoru Iwata himself, talking about how happy he is that Wolf's fans will once again be able to play as him. He then presents everything coming alongside him, including new Mii Fighter costumes, Hyrule and Peach's castles, Tournament mode, and the ability to post replays on YouTube, confirming that the new update will launch immediately after the Direct ends. He also reminds us about the Smash Fighter Ballot, telling us to not forget to vote and promising us to reveal a new character in October.
- Before moving on other stuff to show in the Direct, Iwata shows the Falco and Mewtwo amiibos, confirming their release late 2015, and also confirms that the Wolf amiibo is coming at some point in the future. He also confirms DLC characters will eventually get custom moves and promote them as a way to make amiibo fighters more interesting I can dream right?

October Direct:
- Satoru Iwata announce he'll talk about new contents in Smash, revealing the last batch of Mii Fighters and stages. He'll also present a new, currently unannounced game mode going to launch alongside those, and confirm that all this stuff will be added through an update coming just after the end of the Direct.
- Then, as promised, he'll talk about the Smash Ballot, which will be over at this point. He'll talk about the Ballot's statistics, how the winner was chosen, explaining the different criteria (quantity of votes, quality of the writings...), and how choosing only one character was difficult. This music will be used during Iwata's talk about the Ballot, as way to emphasis the hype and excitement.
- With no background music, Iwata announces "And now it's time to reveal which character was chosen through the Ballot." Then this music starts to play, Iwata says "I'm happy to announce that the character who was chosen is...", the screen becomes black, and when the music ends, a 3D model of the chosen character is shown! A "[character] is on the way!" text appears, and Iwata says "We have a winner! [character] was chosen as a new character from the Ballot! However, we only started developing him/her a short while ago, and we're planning to release him/her during early 2016, so stay tuned for more informations!"

Sooner-as-possible Direct:
- A former trailer for the Ballot winner is revealed, and Iwata reveals his/her release date. The amiibos for all the remaining characters are also shown with a release date, including the one for the Ballot winner.

Not sure about how plausible this seems, but I guess wait and see, because none of us is truly able to predict the future after all.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Those who beat you and then choose your same character are the scum of the earth. But its funny when you beat them after they've done the disgusting act. Also I have theory that those who taunt every time they get a kill weren't hugged as children.

If this music doesn't play upon King K's announcement I will riot.

As much as I want him back, all evidence is falling in to place, we most likely have two more characters left. We only have one DLC newcomer and no female DLC yet.
What does gender have to do with anything?

Last edited:

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
My ideal CSS would have clones and DLC near their home series. Clones and semiclones would be near their source character like in Melee.
This is roughly my ideal order.
:4drmario::4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4bowserjr::rosalina::4yoshi::4wario::4dk::4diddy::4littlemac::4link::4tlink::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4falcon::4samus::4zss::4pit::4darkpit::4palutena::4marth::4lucina::4feroy::4myfriends::4robinm::4duckhunt::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::4falco::4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4lucario::4greninja::4rob::4ness::4lucas::4olimar::4villager::4wiifit::4shulk::4pacman::4ryu::4megaman::4sonic::4mii:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My ideal CSS would have clones and DLC near their home series. Clones and semiclones would be near their source character like in Melee.
This is roughly my ideal order.
:4drmario::4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4bowserjr::rosalina::4yoshi::4wario::4dk::4diddy:(:4littlemac::4link::4tlink::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4falcon::4samus::4zss::4pit::4darkpit::4palutena::4marth::4lucina::4feroy::4myfriends::4robinm::4duckhunt::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::4falco::4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4lucario::4greninja::4rob::4ness::4lucas::4olimar::4villager::4wiifit::4shulk::4pacman::4megaman::4ryu::4sonic::4mii:
Shouldn't Ryu be placed before Mega Man since the original Street Fighter was released in arcades a few months before the Blue Bomber made his debut on NES?

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
After beating W101, I can safely say it's a masterpiece and that Wonder Red should have been playable
Indeed.

Now imagine waiting every other month juuuust in caaaase Wonder Red would be revealed.

And then cry a bit when he wasn't.

And then have fun with the damn game anyway.

Most likely we have no idea what to expect.

It seems like a lot of effort to create a ballot for only one newcomer.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
If the CSS eventually gets ordered (and assuming Wolf and K. Rool get in), I'd find this pretty neat:

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4bowserjr::4drmario::4wario::4dk::4diddy::substitute::4gaw::4littlemac:
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4tlink::4samus::4zss::4pit::4palutena::4darkpit::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina:
:4feroy::4duckhunt::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::4falco::wolf::4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4mewtwo:
:4rob::4ness::4lucas::4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit::4shulk::4pacman::4megaman::4ryu::4sonic::4mii::201a:

If only there was enough space for Roy in the 2nd row

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Tbh, I just can;t agree with how much I underestimated Sakurai in the past.

I never thought he would be THAT ambitious on the repping, I never thought he would aim for so much characters and lastly, I never thought he would be much ambitious on the dlc.

I just don;t think only 2 DLC left is likely. The only way is to have them all post ballot, but why they know they will put 2 already if there;s a ballot in the first place? They don;t even know the results yet, it should make sense to wait the result, THEN decide how much and who. Unless the ballot was MORE focused on the future game than the current one....which I highly doubt (it will matter, but currently, smash 4 is the latest, any further game doesn;t exist\).

As for the design constraints, i again don;t want to underestimate Sakurai so I'm just going to say that they might find a way to work this out even if it could require more effort, I just think it's possible.

Considering the time they would put on DLC, I expect AT LEAST one dlc revealed before ballot, but even if only one happens, I just doubt the ballot was only for one character and again, only one sounds arbitrary to decide it before.

Plus, these slots were added when the ballot began, not before, they might just check the ballot and change things. For me, I just don;t expect them to already decide the amount.

I however also don;t know what to expect in terms of numbers, it really depends on the ballot for me. After, we'll see, but I don't think it would have been decided already.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
However, now that I think about it, it kinda feels right for characters like Dark Pit, Wolf and expecially King K. Rool to be in a corner in the CSS instead of being near the other characters from their games. They don't want to have anything to do with the good guys. :yeahboi:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Why do I feel like Sonic is the only sega character? I know Bayonetta is (not really but yeah she is ) but yeah they don't have anyone else that would reasonably be in Smash other than Sonic characters. And that's sad. Knuckles is cool, and so is Eggman but that's not gonna happen. Welp at least there's Wolf and K Rool.

I love you K. Rool please, have costumes like Wario and Bowser jr.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Would any of you buy costume packs? Like real costumes, not colors or anything like that.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Would any of you buy costume packs? Like real costumes, not colors or anything like that.
I'd buy alts, but not costumes honestly. Like make a Birdo skin for Yoshi and I'm all over that, or a legit Daisy alt for Peach.

Put Mario in his Sunshine look for example and I'd pass. Even if it's the Hawaii shirt.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Given that I haven't bought any Mii Costumes (even Dunban and Zero) I'd probably say no.
But then again I never use the Miis.
Maybe if the costumes were something like:
Masked Lucina, Yukata Lucina and Great Lord Lucina.

Only way I'd get them is in a bundle though so throw in Dark Bowser, Dry Bowser, Metal Sonic, Leif, SMS Mario, Cosmic Spirit Rosalina, Hooded Robin, Grandmaster Robin, Shiny forms for the Pokemon, Armoured Charizard, Armoured Mewtwo and Ms Pac-Man for example.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Tbh, I just can;t agree with how much I underestimated Sakurai in the past.

I never thought he would be THAT ambitious on the repping, I never thought he would aim for so much characters and lastly, I never thought he would be much ambitious on the dlc.

I just don;t think only 2 DLC left is likely. The only way is to have them all post ballot, but why they know they will put 2 already if there;s a ballot in the first place? They don;t even know the results yet, it should make sense to wait the result, THEN decide how much and who. Unless the ballot was MORE focused on the future game than the current one....which I highly doubt (it will matter, but currently, smash 4 is the latest, any further game doesn;t exist\).

As for the design constraints, i again don;t want to underestimate Sakurai so I'm just going to say that they might find a way to work this out even if it could require more effort, I just think it's possible.

Considering the time they would put on DLC, I expect AT LEAST one dlc revealed before ballot, but even if only one happens, I just doubt the ballot was only for one character and again, only one sounds arbitrary to decide it before.

Plus, these slots were added when the ballot began, not before, they might just check the ballot and change things. For me, I just don;t expect them to already decide the amount.

I however also don;t know what to expect in terms of numbers, it really depends on the ballot for me. After, we'll see, but I don't think it would have been decided already.
100% agree.

Loungemen

Smash Journeyman
So, on the topic of the ballot - is there currently an updated list for all the votes on the characters?

Burruni

Smash Hero
So, on the topic of the ballot - is there currently an updated list for all the votes on the characters?
No.
There never has been.
Because we have no access TO the official ballot.
Just fan ones that are almost always very unreliable due to their scope and how easily they are botted

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
After seeing Ryu and how technical he is (I mean seriously that's almost too much) I can't help but to think that Sakurai was lying about Ridley.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
After seeing Ryu and how technical he is (I mean seriously that's almost too much) I can't help but to think that Sakurai was lying about Ridley.
I don't think it's an issue of Ridley being too technical, more so that he didn't fit Sakurai's creative vision.

The cons of having an auteur as a director sometimes clash with the pros.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Honestly the excuse he gave really seemed to... contradictory to a lot of things to be true

Maybe he already convinced himself Stage Bosses were a good idea before he remembered Ridley was requested as a Playable character

Troykv

Smash Master
Sakurai sometimes do things really unpredictable ... So I couldn't predict how many characters we will get as DLC (apart from the 6 that we know already that have their site) ... So I expect anything from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom