• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
To continue the topic further, between Chun-Li and Phoenix Wright? And who do you actually want between them?

:231:
Anyone who doesn't say Phoenix will be taken to court.

He's too goofy to NOT do.

And I don't think it's any stretch at this point to say he's a gaming icon. Not a legend, persay, but an icon.

Edit: And I demand a pallette or full alt for this man. The fact we didn't get a Ken alt is bad enough.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Actually, that'd be Lucina.

And we know for a fact she wasn't her own character until later in development.
Rosalina is probably the first newcomer in the files because of the Mario series. It makes sense for it to go in series order.

D

Deleted member

Rosalina is probably the first newcomer in the files because of the Mario series. It makes sense for it to go in series order.
That would be a good theory, except the order doesn't necessarily follow the chronological order of series.

D

Deleted member

To continue the topic further, between Chun-Li and Phoenix Wright? And who do you actually want between them?

Between Chun-Li and Wright?
...that's a tough one.

Both for who would be more likely and for who I would want more.

D

Deleted member

I would rather not Capcom get more than Mega Man and Ryu. Even if the likes of Chun-Li and Phoenix Wright would fit right in.
Bear in mind this is still Smash Bros., not "Nintendo vs. Capcom featuring Pac-Man and Sonic the Hedgehog".

Burruni

Smash Hero
As much as I'd love Phoenix, at BEST he could be a 3rd party newcomer in Smash 5.

All I want for now is to actually have Guile's theme done with Smash-tier quality.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I feel like the only oddball choice that could really perform well (sales wise) in terms of dlc would be the Excitebiker.

Then again you can't really tell with oddball choices, that's why they're oddballs.
Personally, I believe Captain N would really sell...

D

Deleted member

I'd say Nester is the better of the two not-going-to-happen Nintendo-associated characters from non-gaming media.

At least he actually had a game, even if it was for the Virtual Boy.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I would rather not Capcom get more than Mega Man and Ryu. Even if the likes of Chun-Li and Phoenix Wright would fit right in.
Bear in mind this is still Smash Bros., not "Nintendo vs. Capcom featuring Pac-Man and Sonic the Hedgehog".
That is very true which is why I protested that adding more Pokemon is a mistake because this isn't Pokemon the fighting game.

Honestly I would totally be down for Viewtiful Joe as an Assist Trophy as a "Capcom Rep"

but TBH i dont care how many 3rd party characters we get as long as they make sense. . .

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That is very true which is why I protested that adding more Pokemon is a mistake because this isn't Pokemon the fighting game.
So? We have...

7 Mario characters
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::rosalina::4bowserjr::4drmario:

9 Mario characters if you count :4yoshi::4wario:

11 Mario characters if you count :4dk::4diddy:

6 Pokemon characters
:4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4mewtwo:

5 Zelda characters
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4tlink:

5 Fire Emblem characters
:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4feroy:

Does that mean we should not get any more Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, and Fire Emblem characters?

Pakky

Smash Hero
So? We have...

7 Mario characters
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::rosalina::4bowserjr::4drmario:

9 Mario characters if you count :4yoshi::4wario:

11 Mario characters if you count :4dk::4diddy:

6 Pokemon characters
:4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4mewtwo:

5 Zelda characters
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4tlink:

5 Fire Emblem characters
:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4feroy:

Does that mean we should not get any more Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, and Fire Emblem characters?
I present the same question to you then. We have two Capcom characters, why shouldn't get more of those?

But to answer your question, no, no I don't because there's no one else to add. All other choices are either underdeveloped or minor characters. Also don't cheat there are 7 mario characters.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
If we were to get another Mario character, give them Toad and leave the Mario roster alone. They got all the iconic members. DK just needs Dixie and K Rool

Zelda and Pokemon does need another rep in future Smash, and I think FE will get one more. Other than that, those series need to be left alone for others

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Pokémon can get away with adding another character given the juggernaut it is. Mario is a gaming icon, but Pokémon's influence is present across multiple media, and is arguably more well-known globally (particularly outside EU, NA and JP) than Mario, plus the fact that Pokémon had the fewer number of newcomers added in Smash 4 (only :4greninja:) compared to Melee (:pichumelee::mewtwomelee:) and Brawl (:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard::lucario:)

Burruni

Smash Hero
If we were to get another Mario character, give them Toad and leave the Mario roster alone. They got all the iconic members. DK just needs Dixie and K Rool

Zelda and Pokemon does need another rep in future Smash, and I think FE will get one more. Other than that, those series need to be left alone for others
Ganon is needed for Zelda.
Future Smash? Pokemon definitely merits it for being a series that expands out its possibilities and popularity with each generation.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Pokémon can get away with adding another character given the juggernaut it is. Mario is a gaming icon, but Pokémon's influence is present across multiple media, and is arguably more well-known globally (particularly outside EU, NA and JP) than Mario, plus the fact that Pokémon had the fewer number of newcomers added in Smash 4 (only :4greninja:) compared to Melee (:pichumelee::mewtwomelee:) and Brawl (:squirtle::ivysaur::charizard::lucario:)

The least amount true, but they have the second highest number of reps in the game which makes sense because they are the second most popular franchise. Then other than the veterans who would get in? The problem with pokemon is that yes there are a lot of them and if they don't make into the roster you have them as an item.

I'm sorry but now there is going to be a game that features "just pokemon" so I just feel that all obscure or mildly popular pokemon belong there rather than smash. However that's my opinion.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I present the same question to you then. We have two Capcom characters, why shouldn't get more of those?
I'm fine with more Capcom characters in Smash if those characters have history with Nintendo...

Arthur from Ghosts 'n Goblins games, Mike Haggar from Final Fight games, and Ryu from Breath of Fire games would be sweet.

I'm also fine with Konami characters who have history with Nintendo...

Simon Belmont from Castlevania games, Bomberman from Bomberman games, and Goemon from Ganbare Goemon games would be amazing... I guess Snake can come back...

Man, I wish Nintendo would make Smash spin-off games featuring third-party companies...

Super Smash Bros. X Konami (and Hudson Soft including characters from TurboGrafx-16)
Super Smash Bros. X Sega (Sega Genesis, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast)
Super Smash Bros. X Capcom
Super Smash Bros. X Namco
Super Smash Bros. X Square Enix (Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Secret of Mana, Bubble Bobble, Super Mario RPG)
Super Smash Bros. X SNK (including characters from Neo Geo)
Super Smash Bros. X Nindies (Shantae, Shovel Knight, Cave Story, World of Goo, etc.)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm sorry but now there is going to be a game that features "just pokemon" so I just feel that all obscure or mildly popular pokemon belong there rather than smash. However that's my opinion.
Pokkén? That's true, but Pokémon does have one poster-child in each gen who is usually added. I think future Smash games will add one character just like Greninja.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Pokkén? That's true, but Pokémon does have one poster-child in each gen who is usually added. I think future Smash games will add one character just like Greninja.

I believe so too but if history has told me anything is that if one gets added another gets cut. After Melee this has been the case. Will it happen again? Possibly, but we'll see if anything major occurs with Greninja in the last installment(s) of the 6th generation, or possibly what happens with it in the 7th. If that answer turns or to be nothing, then it might get HM01ed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's best not to come up with "patterns".

After all, since the beginning, the Pokémon franchise "always" had two new additions.
64: :pikachu64::jigglypuff64:
Melee: :mewtwomelee::pichumelee:
Brawl: :pt::lucario:

This led people to believe that the same would hold true for Smash 4, but there was only one:4greninja:.
The "pattern" was effectively broken.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3

But to answer your question, no, no I don't because there's no one else to add. All other choices are either underdeveloped or minor characters. Also don't cheat there are 7 mario characters.
Yoshi = Mario character. He debuted in a Super Mario game. Same with Wario. They're just sub-series.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It's best not to come up with "patterns".

After all, since the beginning, the Pokémon franchise "always" had two new additions.
64: :pikachu64::jigglypuff64:
Melee: :mewtwomelee::pichumelee:
Brawl: :pt::lucario:

This led people to believe that the same would hold true for Smash 4, but there was only one:4greninja:.
The "pattern" was effectively broken.
Even then, you could argue that Brawl added 4 Pokemon. That broke the "pattern" already.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Personally I think VIllager should get a new costume to celebrate AC: HHD

Dinoman96

Smash Master
To be fair, Pichu only got into Melee because they wanted to include extra clones. Mewtwo was the only new Pokemon character planned to be in Melee's initial roster.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
So, remember how people thought Ike would be cut, and the most recent Fire Emblem lord, Chrom, would be the FE newcomer, because FE could only have 2 reps, Marth and the most recent lord, even though there was no precedent for this "pattern" at all. Now look, we have both Ike, Roy, and not just one of the most recent lords, but two. Hahaha who knew that BOTH Ike and Roy would return, and we would get two new FE characters :bee::bee::bee::bee:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So, remember how people thought Ike would be cut, and the most recent Fire Emblem lord, Chrom, would be the FE newcomer, because FE could only have 2 reps, Marth and the most recent lord, even though there was no precedent for this "pattern" at all. Now look, we have both Ike, Roy, and not just one of the most recent lords, but two. Hahaha who knew that BOTH Ike and Roy would return, and we would get two new FE characters :bee::bee::bee::bee:
This is easily the smartest post of yours I've seen. I'm impressed

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I still believe that my idea of Super Smash Bros: Nintendo vs Capcom should work well.

Capcom has a deep reservoir of franchises and characters to compete with Nintendo's so a Smaah game with 28 Nintendo characters and 28 Capcom characters can work

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Maybe I should reword it. Zeldamaster said something with pretty good logic without giving unnecessary insults. It wasn't my intention to sound rude and I apologize if it did sound rude
Again it was pretty unnecessary.
I feel like the only oddball choice that could really perform well (sales wise) in terms of dlc would be the Excitebiker.
Then again you can't really tell with oddball choices, that's why they're oddballs.
Excite Bike shouldn't really be considered an oddball choice...unless Duck Hunt is too.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To be fair the majority of people didn't think Ike would get cut or FE wouldn't be able to exceed two characters. Especially since it was already disproved with Roy being planned for Brawl.

Though some people were of that mindset, sure.

StormC

Smash Hero
People also couldn't get it out of their mind that Lucario "replaced" Mewtwo, so they assumed the same with Ike and Chrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom