• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Are we seriously arguing about 'muh reps' with the guy who calls opinions he doesn't agree with gross?
You are so immature.

It's best not to come up with "patterns".

After all, since the beginning, the Pokémon franchise "always" had two new additions.
64: :pikachu64::jigglypuff64:
Melee: :mewtwomelee::pichumelee:
Brawl: :pt::lucario:

This led people to believe that the same would hold true for Smash 4, but there was only one:4greninja:.
The "pattern" was effectively broken.
True but like I said we'll see how Greninja fairs in the main series.

People also couldn't get it out of their mind that Lucario "replaced" Mewtwo, so they assumed the same with Ike and Chrom.
Can you blame them? At first glance the two operate very similarly. Speaking of Lucario the whole "stronger as it get damaged " thing is fanfiction.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You are so immature.

true but like I said we'll see how Greninja fairs in the main series.

Can you blame them? at first glance the two operate very similarly. Speaking of Lucario the whole "stronger as it get damaged " thing is fanfiction.
Nou

Easily one of, if not the most popular Gen VI pokemon, is a starter, Ash is getting one in the show and is in Smash. Greninja doesn't need anything else to keep him in

Shadow Ball and Aura Sphere having similarities is it, and Lucario's moves do more damage and knockback when his percent is higher. Sources are A: Wikis, B: Experience and C: Sakurai

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
People also couldn't get it out of their mind that Lucario "replaced" Mewtwo, so they assumed the same with Ike and Chrom.
That mind set started when :ike: got in and :roymelee: didn't.

People thought :4myfriends: replaced when it was really :4feroy: getting flat out cut from Brawl like :4mewtwo:&:4drmario:. Plus :toonlink: got int with no:younglinkmelee: in sight.

That mindset is still going considering the thought of :4greninja: getting axed for a Gen 7/8 rep, :4sonic:&:4megaman: getting cut in favor of another 3rd party character and the stupidest one of :4lucina: replacing :4robinm: because popularity (which is stupid because we don't know if her popularity can last) when Moveset is a bigger favor for :4robinf: than any clone.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Easily one of, if not the most popular Gen VI pokemon, is a starter, Ash is getting one in the show and is in Smash. Greninja doesn't need anything else to keep him in
True, but the anime changes, so what may be popular right now may not be come 7th gen. As you know as well, Ash's team resets every time a gen new game comes out.

The games are more reliable, seeing as how the games dictate what goes on in the anime.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
True, but the anime changes, so what may be popular right now may not be come 7th gen.
The games are more reliable, seeing as how the games dictate what goes on in the anime.
If you think being possibly THE most popular Gen VI pokemon and becoming very popular as a whole means nothing compared to the anime, not to mention how Greninja would likely get a Mega Evolution in future installments, then I'm sorry, but you simply don't know what you're talking about

Pakky

Smash Hero
If you think being possibly THE most popular Gen VI pokemon and becoming very popular as a whole means nothing compared to the anime, not to mention how Greninja would likely get a Mega Evolution in future installments, then I'm sorry, but you simply don't know what you're talking about
:rolleyes:

I don't know what's coming in the future. Its very likely that it will get a mega, but then again it may not. I don't know. I can't use future sight. I assumed Flygon would get a mega but it didn't, Jiggs has been a popular character in smash for years, yet its line has remained untouched except for the type change which had nothing to do with smash.

Smash doesn't dictate Pokemon, pokemon dictates smash.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
:rolleyes:

I don't know what's coming in the future. Its very likely that it will get a mega, but then again it may not. I don't know. I can't use future sight.
6 out of 18 starters have megas. Mega Evolution is a new mechanic which will be expanded on like new Pokemon in future installments. Greninja's popularity would likely make him similar to Mega Blaziken, the only mega starter shown of it's region before remakes

Pakky

Smash Hero
6 out of 18 starters have megas. Mega Evolution is a new mechanic which will be expanded on like new Pokemon in future installments. Greninja's popularity would likely make him similar to Mega Blaziken, the only mega starter shown of it's region before remakes
I know all of this, but like I said I don't know. Is it likely yes, but will it happen? I don't know. Especially after seeing who got what in ORAS, I don't know.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm still waiting for Mightyana (I probably botched the spelling) to get one. I mean, Houndoom got one, Manectric got one. Why didn't Mightyana get one?!?

As a matter of fact I can.
Especially when I was a fan of both characters and didn't see any similarities between the two at ALL.
Me ether. :p (but seriously they aren't that similar.)

Anyways, what would your reaction be if...(picks random character with eyes closed)...Tron Bonne was made a DLC character?

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm still waiting for Mightyana (I probably botched the spelling) to get one. I mean, Houndoom got one, Manectric got one. Why didn't Mightyana get one?!?

Me ether. :p (but seriously they aren't that similar.)

Anyways, what would your reaction be if...(picks random character with eyes closed)...Tron Bonne was made a DLC character?
Who??

StormC

Smash Hero
I've actually never met anyone who thought Ike replaced Roy. News to me, I guess.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's funny, if it weren't for the legitimate ChaosZero leak that stated "Lucario will be taking Mewtwo's place," that whole argument may have never come into existence....maybe. Surely the Smash fanbase would never implicate completely unrelated characters as being clones of each other, right??

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'd say it was also the following things that made people think Lucario replace Mewtwo:

-Almost exactly the same neutral special
-Both punching and kicking with infused colored energy
-Talking telepathically
-Being based on a movie character
-Similar body builds overall

At most, it's a Marth/Ike situation.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Agree to disagree. I'm not gonna argue for eternity.

Let's talk about something else.
Alright, fair enough.

So, how long do we have with this smash and or its support if it's somewhat assumed that this NX thing is indeed a new console?

I would like to think after ballot there would be continued support. I hope this is considered on topic.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Alright, fair enough.

So, how long do we have with this smash and or its support if it's somewhat assumed that this NX thing is indeed a new console?

I would like to think after ballot there would be continued support. I hope this is considered on topic.
We'll get Smash Bros. for Wii U ported over to the NX with all the previously released content on the disc with more DLC to come. :denzel:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
How come everyone says "pre-ballot" and "post-ballot" when talking about characters?
What's to say that we get non-ballot characters after the ballot closes? I mean, we just three characters at once, and if the ballot characters will be as sparse and everyone thinks they'll be, they're probably have time for another character.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
How come everyone says "pre-ballot" and "post-ballot" when talking about characters?
What's to say that we get non-ballot characters after the ballot closes? I mean, we just three characters at once, and if the ballot characters will be as sparse and everyone thinks they'll be, they're probably have time for another character.
I don't think it necessarily means that a character that is post-ballot was for certain taken from the ballot...pre-ballot characters are most likely not taken from the ballot since it is still on-going and are more likely pre-determined DLC before the ballot's announcement....it's human nature for people to try to categorize these things for better understanding...

or I could be just rambling...at this point there really is no telling what Sakurai's got up his sleeves...there most definitely are no certainties involved when it comes to Sakurai, and what characters he chooses...

----

something else unrelated, but I wonder how well a smash bros stage ballot would work, obviously it wouldn't generate as much hype as characters but it would be neat for the fans to suggest their ideas for stages...

Burruni

Smash Hero
summizing from Bobert and my own wording.

Pre-Ballot & Post-Ballot, while most people use to refer to being done before and after october comes, more is just about when they were decided.

After all, before we had THESE THREE CHARACTERS AT ONCE, I suspected our "Pre-Ballot" 5 (ending with Wolf) could carry us to december, and 2016 would be the year of Ballot choices.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Again it was pretty unnecessary.

Excite Bike shouldn't really be considered an oddball choice...unless Duck Hunt is too.
Well Excitebiker hasn't even been nominated over at the rate their chances thread, so I do think people would consider them somewhat of an oddball.

At least as much as any retro is considered an oddball. Excitebiker is definitely not a character people think about very often.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well Excitebiker hasn't even been nominated over at the rate their chances thread, so I do think people would consider them somewhat of an oddball.
At least as much as any retro is considered an oddball. Excitebiker is definitely not a character people think about very often.
I...what?
DAMMIT. I had fifteen votes and I didn't use ANY of them on Excite Biker.
Time to go nominate him then.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
summizing from Bobert and my own wording.

Pre-Ballot & Post-Ballot, while most people use to refer to being done before and after october comes, more is just about when they were decided.

After all, before we had THESE THREE CHARACTERS AT ONCE, I suspected our "Pre-Ballot" 5 (ending with Wolf) could carry us to december, and 2016 would be the year of Ballot choices.
I know what the term means.
But why are we defining the character's chances based on time periods? And if we are, why not use months, or 2015-2016? It seems easier to me and more accurate, we don't know what we'll actually get even after the ballot closes.
...DLC speculation is hard, man.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The beauty of DLC speculation is that we're all really just trying to draw shapes in the water.

Sakurai just needs to throw us one curveball and the whole paradigm falls apart.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The beauty of DLC speculation is that we're all really just trying to draw shapes in the water.

Sakurai just needs to throw us one curveball and the whole paradigm falls apart.
Am at the current moment more distressed about the way Sakurai nerfs characters by patching... It's really hurting the competitive scene.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Am at the current moment more distressed about the way Sakurai nerfs characters by patching... It's really hurting the competitive scene.
Not really, it's improving it imo, Charizard has considered useless by many, but now, he's looking pretty decent, it's letting people experiment with characters and that's positive, we don't want a game where the competitive scene exists almost exclusively of the same characters

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Judging by the wording of Sakurai's translator in the New Content Approaching direct, Roy and Lucas are being sold as the most sought after veterans.

I don't know if we really should consider Wolf a "shoe-in" aside from probably being a popular Ballot candidate.

:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu:
These four might be the only initial DLC characters Sakurai and his team had planned for release outside of the ballot. With the other "Marios" being placeholders for the amount of characters they will make from the Ballot's overall results.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I will say this now DLC speculation or character speculation in general has never been or never will be easy I hope Wolf is next but at the same time in the back of my mind I know Sakurai can pull a fast one and the ballot made it 2x as hard to predict who's coming next for this game. Just when we think we've figured him out he throws something wild at us that puts that pattern to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom