• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
A MOTHER 3 localization would be great if they found a way to use the Fobby translation, but otherwise I'm not really interested. I'd imagine an official localization would overall be lower in quality, not unlike the Nicalis translation of Cave Story.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
A MOTHER 3 localization would be great if they found a way to use the Fobby translation, but otherwise I'm not really interested. I'd imagine an official localization would overall be lower in quality, not unlike the Nicalis translation of Cave Story.
That translation difference is ONLY present in the Cave Story + version for Steam and Wiiware. The DSiware and Cave Story 3D version use the original script iirc.

StormC

Smash Hero
Oh, really? I didn't know that. I've only played the Wii Ware version.

Well, I bought the Wii Ware version, so I've at least done my part to support the official release even if I play the fanslation.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Inklings = Prime candidate for the next Smash, very possible for DLC now.

2016 would not be too early to include the Inklings as a fighter. If Sakurai decides against them for being too recent, then Greninja should have never been added.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There should be other characters that get in from the Ballot instead before the Inklings IMO. Why is it that she gets all the special treatment all the time? Sure, Splatoon is a new IP and whatnot but that doesn't mean she should get all the fancy treatment of being in Smash and stuff. I'm getting a very :rosalina:vibe from her.

If anything, it's time we got characters from franchises that are well overdue for representation in Smash Bros. Andy from Advance Wars and Isaac from Golden Sun are perfect choices for that.

There should be other characters that get in from the Ballot instead before the Inklings IMO. Why is it that she gets all the special treatment all the time? Sure, Splatoon is a new IP and whatnot but that doesn't mean she should get all the fancy treatment of being in Smash and stuff. I'm getting a very :rosalina:vibe from her.

If anything, it's time we got characters from franchises that are well overdue for representation in Smash Bros. Andy from Advance Wars and Isaac from Golden Sun are perfect choices for that.
what is wrong with Rosalina?

and regardless people want inklings because they are cool. I dont find andy/sami cool. So i prefer inkling. Same goes for many other people. So they support inklings and want them in smash.

This is how support works in the first place. It doesnt matter what one person's opinion on "deserving" (or overdue) are because everyone else has a different opinion.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
what is wrong with Rosalina?

and regardless people want inklings because they are cool. I dont find andy/sami cool. So i prefer inkling. Same goes for many other people. So they support inklings and want them in smash.

This is how support works in the first place. It doesnt matter what one person's opinion on "deserving" (or overdue) are because everyone else has a different opinion.
*Notice the IMO in my post*

I'm just saying she's better off in Smash 5 were she can start representing the Splatoon series instead. I don't find Inkling or Splatoon for that matter all that interesting but there's no denying that her inclusion in Smash Bros is inevitable. Just use the ballot to get characters from other series that have gone unrepresented or characters from series that are in Smash already that are highly requested. That's just my take on it.

As for :rosalina:, it's her being slapped in to all the important Mario/crossover games. i.e. She got into MK6 while Galaxy was released for only 6 months or something and was a shoe in for Smash. Not a lot of people are going to agree with me and that's okay.

*Sami from Advance Wars. ;)
I'm pretty sure I meant this dude.

*inb4 main character privileges* :estatic:

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

People don't want Inklings in Smash just because it's a new game/new IP.

People want Inklings because they're the protagonist of a new IP that people are ADORING that is the most innovation we've seen Nintendo put in for a new IP since.... :4olimar:. A kind of game that you really can't say another company has. They visually fit Smash's style easily. If this game came out two years ago, there'd be no major argument against them besides "Oh, but I want Ridley/King K. Rool/Waluigi MORE."

You're entitled to your opinion but you make some bold claims in it.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
People don't want Inklings in Smash just because it's a new game/new IP.

People want Inklings because they're the protagonist of a new IP that people are ADORING that is the most innovation we've seen Nintendo put in for a new IP since.... :4olimar:. A kind of game that you really can't say another company has. They visually fit Smash's style easily. If this game came out two years ago, there'd be no major argument against them besides "Oh, but I want Ridley/King K. Rool/Waluigi MORE."
Well don't count me in as one of those people. I've seen gamplay footage of the game and the first thing I thought was "what's the hype for this game?". Not trying to detract or diss the game but there's a good amount of people that aren't in to this Splatoon craze. I'm just saying that it's better for them to be newcomers in Smash 5 IMO.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well don't count me in as one of those people. I've seen gamplay footage of the game and the first thing I thought was "what's the hype for this game?". Not trying to detract or diss the game but there's a good amount of people that aren't in to this Splatoon craze. I'm just saying that it's better for them to be newcomers in Smash 5 IMO.
No game's gonna be for everyone. To think so is just stupid.
I'd like them as Smash 4 DLC instead of being held back to Smash 5 because most arguments for that is "Oh, they'll get in anyways so let's allow less influential fighters into the game," which always felt a bit backwards...
I get where you're coming from. You want as many underdogs or neglected characters to be able to make their stake through the Ballot.
But as I see there being 3-5 Ballot characters being released across 2016... I certainly want Inklings to be one of them.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
We get it, your not hyped behind the game, we know that there some people out there also not hyped about it. What I'm saying Is don't kill the hype for people who are interested in the game, just because you aren't. Besides people like to see certain old and new franchises represented for Smash. Smash is about Nintendo's history both past and present. Don't be so certain we'll get a Smash 5. Both Nintnendo and Sakurai are treating this as if it's the last Smash Bros game. Especially since Sakurai himself said he wants get as many charcters as DLC as possible. So any Nintendo character is fair game, both old and new.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
No game's gonna be for everyone. To think so is just stupid.
I'd like them as Smash 4 DLC instead of being held back to Smash 5 because most arguments for that is "Oh, they'll get in anyways so let's allow less influential fighters into the game," which always felt a bit backwards...
I get where you're coming from. You want as many underdogs or neglected characters to be able to make their stake through the Ballot.
But as I see there being 3-5 Ballot characters being released across 2016... I certainly want Inklings to be one of them.
Yeah, that's the idea. Splatoon, regardless of how I feel about the series will be a major Nintendo IP in the foreseeable future. That's almost a fact. Someone from that series being in Smash is as almost as invertible as Mega Man being in Smash 4 was. That's why I want the series to be rep'd in the next game rather than being DLC because theirs pretty much a 0% chance of them not being in Smash 5.

With series like Golden Sun and Advance Wars, this can very well be the last chance both series have to get in Smash Bros. Advance Wars hasn't seen the day of light since like 2007 and Golden Sun has been largely inactive for half a decade almost. Should both series have a rep in the game, theirs a good possibility of both franchises getting revived in the future and fans of both franchises finally having a chance to play as a character from that series.

Unrelated though, I want Snake to really come back through the ballot if pre-planned DLC isn't happening. It would be a shame if he had a crap ton of support heading in to the ballot (which he probably has right now lol) and then him being rejected simply because the number of ballot fighters cap'd before he was considered for inclusion.

We get it, your not hyped behind the game, we know that there some people out there also not hyped about it. What I'm saying Is don't kill the hype for people who are interested in the game, just because you aren't. Besides people like to see certain old and new franchises represented for Smash. Smash is about Nintendo's history both past and present. Don't be so certain we'll get a Smash 5. Both Nintnendo and Sakurai are treating this as if it's the last Smash Bros game. Especially since Sakurai himself said he wants get as many charcters as DLC as possible. So any Nintendo character is fair game, both old and new.
As for Smash 5 not happening, I doubt it. Even if it's a really long waiting period, Smash 5 will defiantly happen. Melee and Brawl were potentially the last in the series as well but that never happened.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The only characters I would even classify as overdue is King K. Rool and Isaac.
Both of which because they have been intensely requested for ages and have a lot of potential.
Even then, claiming a character as overdue is silly to me. Nobody's entitled to anything, not even the characters.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I kind of think Isaac's general high demand within the ballot will probably save him from the heap of "forgotten forever".

I am not so hopeful for Andy/Sami, Ray or the likes of Barbara the Bat.

I'd also argue K. Rool is more overdue for appearing within the Donkey Kong Country Returns games than Smash, but I know such an opinion will get me lynched.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I never really saw Isaac that essential or "long overdue". Golden Sun just never really struck me as a particularly big or special franchise. None of the games were developed in-house and it's kind of a middling, abandoned franchise. It's been years since anyone really cared about it, and, I don't know. I just don't see what makes it so special to get in over other excluded IPs like Starfy or Sin & Punishment.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Inklings = Prime candidate for the next Smash, very possible for DLC now.

2016 would not be too early to include the Inklings as a fighter. If Sakurai decides against them for being too recent, then Greninja should have never been added.
Greninja was from an already established series. Also, Inklings being crammed into Smash 4 now would lessen the good newcomer choices from now until Smash 5. The costumes already acknowledge the series enough, and we need the Inklings to stay in line until Smash 5 because we have no idea how many new IPs there will be from now 'till Smash 5.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Greninja was from an already established series. Also, Inklings being crammed into Smash 4 now would lessen the good newcomer choices from now until Smash 5. The costumes already acknowledge the series enough, and we need the Inklings to stay in line until Smash 5 because we have no idea how many new IPs there will be from now 'till Smash 5.
Are you saying Inklings aren't a good newcomer choice? Rather judgmental, isn't it?
And it doesn't really matter if Greninja was from Pokemon. He wasn't an established character and was decided upon before it even publicly existed. If a character can be added solely to promote a game a character can be added as a result of the popularity of a game.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Are you saying Inklings aren't a good newcomer choice? Rather judgmental, isn't it?
And it doesn't really matter if Greninja was from Pokemon. He wasn't an established character and was decided upon before it even publicly existed. If a character can be added solely to promote a game a character can be added as a result of the popularity of a game.
I said Inklings would be a GOOD choice for Smash 5 so we still have some good newcomers choices. I never said they would not be good choices. Look how much support their getting right now in Smash anyway:
http://www.smashbros.com/us/dlc/
One full costume, one headgear.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Splatoon will have been out for 4 months before the Ballot Closes. And like over half a year before we get to Ballot DLC.

Considering that this game had playable demos (at E3) with MASSIVE coverage then, when Smash 4 was still being worked on.... is it really that devastating for it to get in off of the ballot which is namely based on popularity.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The idea that [Character A] should get in before [Character B] because [Character B] is not [Character A] is a completely biased argument anyway and implies Sakurai owes you anything. He does not.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Splatoon will have been out for 4 months before the Ballot Closes. And like over half a year before we get to Ballot DLC.

Considering that this game had playable demos (at E3) with MASSIVE coverage then, when Smash 4 was still being worked on.... is it really that devastating for it to get in off of the ballot which is namely based on popularity.
And Donkey Kong Country and K.Rool have been around for two decades. Isaac and Golden Sun have been around for fourteen years. Even Dillon and his game have been around for three years. The amount of time a game has been around means nothing.

Burruni

Smash Hero
And Donkey Kong Country and K.Rool have been around for two decades. Isaac and Golden Sun have been around for fourteen years. Even Dillon and his game have been around for three years. The amount of time a game has been around means nothing.
That's.... what I'm saying.

If Inklings are more popular than the likes of Dillon and even maybe Isaac while retaining enough to be a unique fighter, how fairly recent the title is to the end of the ballot shouldn't really affect this when it is namely the raw popularity of the character that makes a splash or not for the ballot, as we understand it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
The idea that [Character A] should get in before [Character B] because [Character B] is not [Character A] is a completely biased argument anyway and implies Sakurai owes you anything. He does not.
I never stated the Inklings shouldn't get in because someone else deserves it more. I only said Inklings immediately getting in would take away from the hype that would be getting them in Smash 5.

HER NICKNAME IS AMMY, ONI!

With 2 M's.

Trust me, I've gone through both Okami and Okamiden, dammit xD
Not that one. :3

Nope.

This one.

She belonged to THQ. I don't know who owns her now. I think it's Nordic Games though.
darn.TF2Engineer

broken image
I never stated the Inklings shouldn't get in because someone else deserves it more. I only said Inklings immediately getting in would take away from the hype that would be getting them in Smash 5.
by that logic ANY addition would reduce hype form smash 5.

thta idea would apply to any and every character as DLC. I could apply it to Isaac or Krool if need be.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I never really saw Isaac that essential or "long overdue". Golden Sun just never really struck me as a particularly big or special franchise. None of the games were developed in-house and it's kind of a middling, abandoned franchise. It's been years since anyone really cared about it, and, I don't know. I just don't see what makes it so special to get in over other excluded IPs like Starfy or Sin & Punishment.
I agree for the most part, but to be fair, his thread here should make it clear Golden Sun DOES have a cult following.

He's a character that would warrant being added because he's popular, represents a Nintendo franchise with only a few songs to its name so far, and has a lot of moveset potential. As someone who doesn't play Golden Sun, I think that's valid. I can't think of a Nintendo newcomer after K. Rool that would be as good of a DLC addition as Isaac.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
darn.TF2Engineer

broken image

thta idea would apply to any and every character as DLC. I could apply it to Isaac or Krool if need be.
To be fair those characters have been requested for a long time. Also I think it makes more sense for DLC characters to be from a series that has or had representation in Smash already. It would generate a lot of hype for Smash 5 if a totally new IP was introduced.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
darn.TF2Engineer

broken image

To be fair those characters have been requested for a long time. Also I think it makes more sense for DLC characters to be from a series that has or had representation in Smash already.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, it wasn't showing me that I already made the first post.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
To be fair those characters have been requested for a long time. Also I think it makes more sense for DLC characters to be from a series that has or had represesntation in Smash already. It would generate a lot of hype for Smash 5 if a totally new IP was introduced.
Ryu's a lock.
Isaac's a near-guarrentee.

Let's say we get 8 characters as DLC

4 Veterans: :4mewtwo::4lucas::wolf::roypm:, all from pre-existing series.

4 Newcomers: Ryu (Third Party, new series, only pre-ballot Newcomer), King K. Rool, Isaac, and Inklings.

5/8 would be from old series and 3/8 would be from new series.

Would that really be that bad?

If Dixie and Bandana Dee get in as well, that's 7/10 old, 3/10 new.

If we view the DLC as a full expansion pack for Smash, this seems more than fair and accurate to what we have already as additions to the roster.

To be fair those characters have been requested for a long time. Also I think it makes more sense for DLC characters to be from a series that has or had representation in Smash already. It would generate a lot of hype for Smash 5 if a totally new IP was introduced.
you want to know what else would be a new IP?

Golden Sun
:p

saying they have been "requested for a while" actually hurts your argument. If they have been longstandiing wants than woudlnt they be MORE hype than the new guys? hence they (krool isaac. yay pronoun game) would be more hype for smash 5 when apparently thats the reason to add them now.

Isaac's a near-guarrentee.
I would argue this if it wasnt so late.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
And King K. Rool and Isaac would not?
There's no guarantee what will happen between now and the "next" Smash Bros. Isaac could get two new installments in his series and the Kremlings come back to Donkey Kong Country, both making them considered locks for Smash 5, while Splatoon could be forgotten completely...or vice versa.
There's no sense in waiting 5 or more years for a hypothetical game to support a character that exists now. If people want Inklings ever, they should support them now, because more recognition for characters you want is never a bad thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom