• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
SSE mixed with Melee Adventure Mode and Smash Run would be awesome.

You know you want it.
I was actually discussing this the other day. I'd be fine with an adventure mode that's a middle ground between Melee and Brawl's; a 2-3 hour campaign with lots of replay value.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I wonder how the Smash Poll is gonna work
How many are gonna made playable, 1-3?
Will they be the top picks for Europe, America and Asia or are they gonna merge them all and then pick the out of that

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Not a fan of the idea for a new F-Zero character. Representing Falcon's rivals is an idea, but I really don't see much point to it. I think Falcon does a fine job representing the series on his own. He is the legend. Any other would just feel forced to me.
Just be happy that @ Thatkidwiththeafro Thatkidwiththeafro isn't in charge of Smash 6'a development since the F-Zero bias is real with his game. We have Black Shadow, Rick Wheeler, Jody Summer, Lily Flyer, and Kate Alan like the many other multiple reps in his ginormous roster.

Not like I would care about it since I love everything about F-Zero's universe and their characters. I even enjoyed F-Zero GP Legends until 4Kids had to be stupid and axe the show due to lack of popularity. F-Zero bias would be no different than the Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem bias we had this time around.

#MoreF-ZeroFanservice :awesome:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I wonder how the Smash Poll is gonna work
How many are gonna made playable, 1-3?
Will they be the top picks for Europe, America and Asia or are they gonna merge them all and then pick the out of that
I wonder if they will do it like this:
0-2 Bottom tier character (Few votes. Would have to have a unique moveset concept)
03- Low tier characters (Minority vote. Would most likely be a character(s) that would make everyone happy, but nobody expects.)
1-4 Mid tier characters (Decent amount of votes. Would most likely be someone with good moveset potential.)
1-4 High tier characters (Majority vote. I don't see a reason to not include some of the more popular characters, even if they aren't the most popular.)
3-7 Top tier characters (Crap ton of votes. These characters are shoe ins. It's just a matter of how many of them they pick.)

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Personally I don't really care about getting another F-Zero character. All what the series is about is super fast futuristic racing, which is perfectly represented by the numerous F-Zero stages we have and Captain Falcon's Final Smash. Speaking of which, nothing besides it in his moveset represents what F-Zero is about besides maybe the fact he's a fast character, and that's what I find hilariously awesome about Captain Falcon: racing in a car is the only notable thing he does in his games gameplay-wise, which means all he does is what's his Final Smash in SSB which shows how crazy is F-Zero's gameplay. But that's just my opinion.

Besides, a Japanese Nintendo Direct has been announced in Japan for May 31th, and since we don't have news about it being broadcast for Europe and America I guess it's safe to say that it's a Japan only direct. It is dedicated about summer releases, so I think some games like Fire Emblem If or the new Rhythm Heaven game are very likely to be talked about. But asides from that, do you think we can expect a new trailer for Smash Bros.? We have precedence for that (Shilk Shulk's trailer edit: whoops), so maybe it could be done one again. If one has to be revealed that way I'm expecting it to be Roy; Japan is very supportive of his return and Fire Emblem is still better implemented in Japan than in the west, and an August release would still be during the supper summer edit 2: whoops again. (Not to mention the leak...) I don't consider a character reveal too likely, but I'm still going to watch it hoping for one. Though I won't really care about the rest considering I don't understand Japanese.
I'd bet Lucas will be talked about because he comes out very soon.

Also I came up with a fun little game, list what your dream title would be at e3. Mine would be Star Fox X Metroid X F-Zero.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Personally I wouldn't mind Karate Joe, but his moveset would probably be based more on his karate skills more than anything really rather than actually using elements from various mini games because that fits him more, it would like kinda awkward with Joe using those moves. That's why I prefer Chorus Kids over them first.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Personally I wouldn't mind Karate Joe, but his moveset would probably be based more on his karate skills more than anything really rather than actually using elements from various mini games because that fits him more, it would like kinda awkward with Joe using those moves. That's why I prefer Chorus Kids over them first.
Why does everybody assume that props represent a more accurate move set than movements? I honestly don't see how you see that as more accurate. The entire concept of the series is to do things in rhythm, not just a buch of random props.

Let me copy paste what I said in the Chorus Kids forum:

"You know, I had never assumed that a Rhythm Heaven character would use props heavily in the move set.

Really, outside of those hairy beets, the widget, and maybe... whatever the heck that blimp thing was in Donk-Donk, it's hard to differentiate any particular from some generic item.

Whenever I think of a move set, I tend to rely more on motions and movements more than any object. While many of these are still punches and kicks, many (ideally, all) could be traced back to some mini game or other from the series. Put in the original/improved sound effects and vocals, and you're golden.

For a given example, I'll provide a few cue from the series. Notice anything?

"GO-GO-GO! (Thk-Thk-Thoom) And Jab (thp), Jab (thp)..."

"Wina-wacka-Wirt-Wirt! Wina-wacka-Wirt-Wirt!"

"Hm! O-K! Hm! O-K!"

"Peck your beak. (Wagh, wagh, wagh). Strech-out your neck! (Wah-hmm!)"

"Thiseat down, Thiseat down, Paw-Pa-Pa-Punch!"

Typically, you remember what the characters are doing before anything else, don't you?

I don't see the problem, especially if they manage to pick the right animations. The throws in particular source of silliness; Imagine bowling opponents like Mandrill did in Hole in One, or my personal favorite of spanking the opponent a la Munchy Monk.

This is why I go for Karate Joe over anyone else. His anatomy is so very humanoid, which is a problem with many of the other supposed characters being chibi and therefore unable to give the same meaning to many of the moves the other characters can perform. The Rhythm Girl, hypothetically speaking, could act just the same, but I would say that Joe, already being a fighter, makes just a bit more sense.

It's a good representation of the series, no?"

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah, I'd rather not have another character that has a moveset made up of random items from their series. That's Mr. Game & Watch, Villager, Pac-Man and Duck Hunt's thing.

Karate Joe seems like a boring character at first, but he would be the best representative for Rhythm Heaven because he is more recurring, and he could have an extremely combo-oriented moveset would perfectly fall in line with a rhythm theme.

My idea for Karate Joe is that every attack he performs on his opponents will start combo that has a short timer. Each consequtive attack in a combo does exponentially more damage and knockback, so that a combo of 10 attacks hits as hard as a Smash attack from Ganondorf.

His Final Smash could involve summoning the Samurai and the Wrestler to perform a combo attack.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Yeah, I'd rather not have another character that has a moveset made up of random items from their series. That's Mr. Game & Watch, Villager, Pac-Man and Duck Hunt's thing.

Karate Joe seems like a boring character at first, but he would be the best representative for Rhythm Heaven because he is more recurring, and he could have an extremely combo-oriented moveset would perfectly fall in line with a rhythm theme.

My idea for Karate Joe is that every attack he performs on his opponents will start combo that has a short timer. Each consequtive attack in a combo does exponentially more damage and knockback, so that a combo of 10 attacks hits as hard as a Smash attack from Ganondorf.

His Final Smash could involve summoning the Samurai and the Wrestler to perform a combo attack.

I think the Combo thing was the main idea for the Chorus Kids too

All their Moves would Follow a 1---2---3 pattern, increasing both their range and attack power

I also don't get why everyone's always "Well if 2 Ice climbers wouldn't Work how would 3 Chorus Kids?"

and that was also answered, it's just one character that LOOKS like 3, they're all doing the same thing at the same time and only split when you get a combo going

by @Maraphy

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Honestly I think that a character has to have a "pull from everything" moveset to be a good representative of the Rhythm Heaven Series as a whole. The Chorus Kids would only represent Glee Club, and Karate Joe would only represent Karate Joe. That's why I feel Marshal would be a better Rhythm Heaven rep.
However if either the Chorus Kids, or Karate Joe got in with that gimmick then I wouldn't complain. I'd just be sad for a while.

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
Just be happy that @ Thatkidwiththeafro Thatkidwiththeafro isn't in charge of Smash 6'a development since the F-Zero bias is real with his game. We have Black Shadow, Rick Wheeler, Jody Summer, Lily Flyer, and Kate Alan like the many other multiple reps in his ginormous roster.

Not like I would care about it since I love everything about F-Zero's universe and their characters. I even enjoyed F-Zero GP Legends until 4Kids had to be stupid and axe the show due to lack of popularity. F-Zero bias would be no different than the Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem bias we had this time around.

#MoreF-ZeroFanservice :awesome:
To be honest, I actually cut quite a few characters from the "ginormous" roster recently. You should be happy to know that F-Zero received two cuts from the roster I made. Those characters were Digi-Boy and Princia Ramode, both of which I was too lazy to design a moveset for. And for the record, Rick Wheeler only received a spot on the roster because he is basically an electrical Captain Falcon. For those of you that didn't watch the anime, there is a reason for why Rick is a clone of Falcon....
After Falcon sacrifices himself in the final battle with Black Shadow by finishing him with a Falcon Punch that caused an explosion so large that you could see it in space, he gave the title of Captain Falcon to Rick, and the end of the anime shows Rick taking on the role of Captain Falcon along with piloting the Blue Falcon.
Makes 100% logical sense, no?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
To be honest, I actually cut quite a few characters from the "ginormous" roster recently. You should be happy to know that F-Zero received two cuts from the roster I made. Those characters were Digi-Boy and Princia Ramode, both of which I was too lazy to design a moveset for. And for the record, Rick Wheeler only received a spot on the roster because he is basically an electrical Captain Falcon. For those of you that didn't watch the anime, there is a reason for why Rick is a clone of Falcon....
After Falcon sacrifices himself in the final battle with Black Shadow by finishing him with a Falcon Punch that caused an explosion so large that you could see it in space, he gave the title of Captain Falcon to Rick, and the end of the anime shows Rick taking on the role of Captain Falcon along with piloting the Blue Falcon.
Makes 100% logical sense, no?
Eeeeeyup, since many people who were aware of a certain memetic scene involving both Falcon and Shadow had known about the show's ending. But who can say that people would miss out on it since the GP Legend's ending was just that good and so is Rick.

"Watashi wa shinen, shinenzuuuuu!"

"Farukooooooon Paaaaaaaaaaaanch!"

"Captain Farukon!"

"Bwaaaaaaaaaauuuuuh!"

Burruni

Smash Hero
Eeeeeyup, since many people who were aware of a certain memetic scene involving both Falcon and Shadow had known about the show's ending. But who can say that people would miss out on it since the GP Legend's ending was just that good and so is Rick.

"Watashi wa shinen, shinenzuuuuu!"

"Farukooooooon Paaaaaaaaaaaanch!"

"Captain Farukon!"

"Bwaaaaaaaaaauuuuuh!"
Everyone should be more aware of it.
As it is the only time outside of Smash Bros. that a Falcon Punch has ever been done.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Honestly I think that a character has to have a "pull from everything" moveset to be a good representative of the Rhythm Heaven Series as a whole. The Chorus Kids would only represent Glee Club, and Karate Joe would only represent Karate Joe. That's why I feel Marshal would be a better Rhythm Heaven rep.
However if either the Chorus Kids, or Karate Joe got in with that gimmick then I wouldn't complain. I'd just be sad for a while.
But if you represent the series with a random moveset, why bother?
Karate Joe just represents one game, but that one game pretty much exemplifies the entire series, doubly so as Karate Joe has had a part in every game in the series, unlike Chorus Kids and Marshall who've only appeared in one.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Karate Joe just represents one game, but that one game pretty much exemplifies the entire series, doubly so as Karate Joe has had a part in every game in the series, unlike Chorus Kids and Marshall who've only appeared in one.
Frankly, I agree. I like the idea of Karate Joe and think he's the best representative of the series. If anyone is the series mascot, its Karate Joe.

Burruni

Smash Hero
So.
For those who don't know.
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/05/2...tendo-issues-apology-and-promises-more-stock/
Splatoon's gone above and beyond in Japan.... that region that held back on voting Inklings because the game wasn't even out yet.
Anyone have records of when new Nintendo IPs outsold the supply available?
:4shulk: in the US was the last time I remember that happening.
I'm a little shocked. I knew it was popular here but didn't hear that much of a storm brewing on the eastern market.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Taking from the various games mini games in the series =/= random. And while Karate Joe would be a good Rhythm Heaven rep, he wouldn't be able to represent the series as a whole like Marshal can. Why Marshal? Because 1, his body is easier to manipulate, so you have more options moveset wise, and 2, he doesn't have a mini game that he would be forced to represent. True he appears in Night Walk, but it's not really his, so it doesn't count. Also, Night Walk doesn't really have a theme behind it, it's just a walk in the stars. Karate Joe and Glee Club both have a theme, (Karate and singing) so Karate Joe and the Chorus Kids would be forced to represent their respective mini games, instead of Rhythm Heaven. Maybe Karate Joe and Marshal should be included together. Then we could have the iconic figure in Rhythm Heaven (Karate Joe), and a character that represents Rhythm Heaven as a whole (Marshal).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So.
For those who don't know.
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/05/2...tendo-issues-apology-and-promises-more-stock/
Splatoon's gone above and beyond in Japan.... that region that held back on voting Inklings because the game wasn't even out yet.
Anyone have records of when new Nintendo IPs outsold the supply available?
:4shulk: in the US was the last time I remember that happening.
I'm a little shocked. I knew it was popular here but didn't hear that much of a storm brewing on the eastern market.
Dammit Burruni, I didn't recognize you! Also, I'm rather impressed with Splatoon's sales and ratings. Still not bothering personally, more money for Nintendo means more money for more games

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I definitely expect Splatoon to gain a playable character sometime in Smash, whether it'd be DLC for Smash 4 or one of the newcomers in Smash 5 (I feel like the latter is more likely).

It's a new IP that has everything going for it, I believe. It's not some minor outsourced "second party" developed series/one-off like Dillon's Rolling Western or Wonderful 101, the kind of series Sakurai never usually makes playable characters out of. It's Nintendo EAD's first major character based IP in years, as noted by Iwata over here (http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/splatoon/0/0). Even if the game doesn't light the charts on fire like Call of Duty or something, it'll probably do decent Pikmin numbers (The first two games were both million sellers), and that's probably what matters to Sakurai in the end.

I've recently gotten Splatoon myself and the game is really damn good, so I look forward to see how its implemented in Smash in the future.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Dammit Burruni, I didn't recognize you! Also, I'm rather impressed with Splatoon's sales and ratings. Still not bothering personally, more money for Nintendo means more money for more games
Annie's too adorable.
I know a shrinking violet of an anemone is a jump from Wario's marvelous face.
And totally respect you not jumping on it.
I'm someone who historically has had a bad history with shooters (Star Wars: Battlefield and Halo being my history... and those basically just Bro-Op'd with my father and not done competitively in any way).
Gotta say I'm really enjoying myself.
Honors due to the devs for being able to hold their ground on a new IP for it instead of it being Super Mario Sunshine 2.
Because let's face it, Nintendo adding a character to a game to help it sale better has lead to a couple bad marks :4mario::4fox::4kirby:.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Taking from the various games mini games in the series =/= random. And while Karate Joe would be a good Rhythm Heaven rep, he wouldn't be able to represent the series as a whole like Marshal can. Why Marshal? Because 1, his body is easier to manipulate, so you have more options moveset wise, and 2, he doesn't have a mini game that he would be forced to represent. True he appears in Night Walk, but it's not really his, so it doesn't count. Also, Night Walk doesn't really have a theme behind it, it's just a walk in the stars. Karate Joe and Glee Club both have a theme, (Karate and singing) so Karate Joe and the Chorus Kids would be forced to represent their respective mini games, instead of Rhythm Heaven. Maybe Karate Joe and Marshal should be included together. Then we could have the iconic figure in Rhythm Heaven (Karate Joe), and a character that represents Rhythm Heaven as a whole (Marshal).
Maybe it's preference but I just don't see a character using elements from numerous mini-games as a good representation of the series.
It's why I like the way Robin was implemented. Not only are they an extremely unique character but they represent their game perfectly with their playstyle and gimmick, even though it's a strategy RPG.

A composite moveset is good for Mr. Game & Watch because he's based on a bunch of completely different games, but Rhythm Heaven's minigames are all based around a very similar concept, and as a result I think a character representing the series needs to have a more cohesive moveset than just throwing out a dozen different projectiles, in addition to being the most recurring character, and Karate Joe has both of those qualities.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Remind me what the Mario one was, I know about SFA and Epic Yarn, former having Zelda-ish gameplay and the latter not really being out of place, filthy casuals whine about "muh immortality" like how casuals play Wii Music and don't try playing to the rhythm *cough*Stuttering Craig*cough*
Sunshine, namely. Though people have learned to love it after like a decade.

An inverted case of the "trope" would be Super Mario USA aka Super Mario Bros. 2 which was a reskin of an entirely different game originally done because Lost Levels was too hard for westerners, deemed Miyamoto. It ended up becoming a pretty beloved title and ended up giving us Shy Guys, Sniffits, Bob-Ombs, Birdo, Ninjies, a fair chunk of what makes Smash's version of PEach, and our first case of Playable Toad.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Kid Icarus Uprising had a somewhat similar situation in that regard. It wasn't exactly a Kid Icarus game when development first initially started.

The backstory here is that Iwata and Sakurai came up with a vague idea of a shooter game, one that would switch between on-foot and air battles. However, unlike Star Fox Adventures/Dinosaur Planet and Kirby's Epic Yarn/Fluff of Yarn, KIU wasn't initially designed to be a new IP. It was just a blank slate at that point in its development, and Sakurai went into the Nintendo Vault to find a compatible Nintendo IP that would fit his flight/ground shooter concept the best. Star Fox was one of his considerations, but ultimately he felt that Kid Icarus fit the style of gameplay he was going for much better.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm amazed you can list Sunshine as a poorly received game and not Skyward Sword.
(Both are actually good games by the way)
1) I like Skyward Sword more than Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask. I'm THAT guy.
2) The list was referring to games that originally were not meant to be part of any current Nintendo series but later in development had one attached to it. Skyward Sword was always going to be a Zelda game.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
1) I like Skyward Sword more than Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask. I'm THAT guy.
2) The list was referring to games that originally were not meant to be part of any current Nintendo series but later in development had one attached to it. Skyward Sword was always going to be a Zelda game.
Sunshine, namely. Though people have learned to love it after like a decade.
This threw me off. :facepalm:
Also, Sunshine wasn't a Mario game at one point? I don't know about that...I've read a lot about the game's beta and I don't remember that ever being a thing.
(Also, Skyward Sword is my favorite after Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker, so we're good)

Burruni

Smash Hero
This threw me off. :facepalm:
Also, Sunshine wasn't a Mario game at one point? I don't know about that...I've read a lot about the game's beta and I don't remember that ever being a thing.
(Also, Skyward Sword is my favorite after Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker, so we're good)
I can't remember where I first read it but... it isn't that surprising to me. Like Link's Awakening, it was likely a bit of a passion project that was based on something similar to but not directly tied to the main series but was changed later in development, which is why it is quite "uncanny valley" to the other titles.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Maybe it's preference but I just don't see a character using elements from numerous mini-games as a good representation of the series.
It's why I like the way Robin was implemented. Not only are they an extremely unique character but they represent their game perfectly with their playstyle and gimmick, even though it's a strategy RPG.

A composite moveset is good for Mr. Game & Watch because he's based on a bunch of completely different games, but Rhythm Heaven's minigames are all based around a very similar concept, and as a result I think a character representing the series needs to have a more cohesive moveset than just throwing out a dozen different projectiles, in addition to being the most recurring character, and Karate Joe has both of those qualities.
When did I say using a bunch of projectiles was a good idea? I meant something like:
Neutral Attack: slashes with samurai sword
Forward Tilt: Inflates, then punches
Up Tilt: Claps
Up Smash: Sings
Down Arial: Tap dances
Up Special-Splashdown
You get the point.
Because let's face it, Nintendo adding a character to a game to help it sale better has lead to a couple bad marks :4mario::4fox::4kirby:.
She says on a social media dedicated to smash. :p

Burruni

Smash Hero
When did I say using a bunch of projectiles was a good idea? I meant something like:
Neutral Attack: slashes with samurai sword
Forward Tilt: Inflates, then punches
Up Tilt: Claps
Up Smash: Sings
Down Arial: Tap dances
Up Special-Splashdown
You get the point.

She says on a social media dedicated to smash. :p
There's a difference between adding a character to a crossover than forcing a character into being the protagonist in a game that they don't have much business in.

But clever way of twisting my words there xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom