• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Don't know about you guys, but I don't plan on buying Splatoon for a while. I was looking forward to it, but I didn't want it anymore after I found out it's local multiplayer sucked. I was looking forward to having friends over to play it, but only one boring local multiplayer mode really did nothing to show the Wii U's capabilities.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Why Marshal? Because 1, his body is easier to manipulate, so you have more options moveset wise...
What? How how is his body easier to manipulate? Karate Joe's humanoid body proportions makes it better for the motions nessisary for a movement, I would think.

I think we can all agree that a Bicep Flex is a mandatory taunt thanks to Ringside. Who's the big guy that makes you go "Whoa" when they pull it off? Joe or Marshal?

...and 2, he doesn't have a mini game that he would be forced to represent.
And... how is this a bad thing?

Just because they have one game to represent doesn't mean all their moves have to come from one game. Karate Joe has plenty of other games to chose from when it comes to filling it out. Imagine pulling off the "Go-Go-Go!" from Figure Fighter, popping foes upwards like in Crop Stomp, bowling enemies like Mandrill did in Hole in One, dogging like in Lockstep, and so on. This is the sort of thing Marshal can't pull off, because his small proportions would make such moves near terrible and/or nonsensical.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What? How how is his body easier to manipulate? Karate Joe's humanoid body proportions makes it better for the motions nessisary for a movement, I would think.

I think we can all agree that a Bicep Flex is a mandatory taunt thanks to Ringside. Who's the big guy that makes you go "Whoa" when they pull it off? Joe or Marshal?

And... how is this a bad thing?

Just because they have one game to represent doesn't mean all their moves have to come from one game. Karate Joe has plenty of other games to chose from when it comes to filling it out. Imagine pulling off the "Go-Go-Go!" from Figure Fighter, popping foes upwards like in Crop Stomp, bowling enemies like Mandrill did in Hole in One, dogging like in Lockstep, and so on. This is the sort of thing Marshal can't pull off, because his small proportions would make such moves near terrible and/or nonsensical.
1: This is a trick question it's the Wrestler. :p
2: By manipulate I mean squash and stretch.
3: I can see 3 out of 4 of these working. Although I think Lockstep would work better as a back throw than a dodge.
4: Here is the moveset I made for Marshal. It needs a touch up, and may or may not be hard to read, but I think it will serve it's purpose. It is in a spoiler so this post isn't ridiculously long.
Ground Attacks:
Neutral Attack: Takes out a samurai sword and slashes slice with it, or slashes once, then slices repeatedly with the sword. (From Samurai Slice in Rhythm Heaven fever)
Dash Attack: Rolls into a ball, then leaps upward. You will keep running. (From Night Walk in Rhythm Heaven Fever)
Forward Tilt: Marshal will inflate and punch the opponent. “Jab” is heard (From Figure Fighter in Rhythm Heaven Fever)
Up Tilt: Claps overhead (From Clappy Trio)
Down Tilt: Pecks the ground three times. “Peck your Beak” is heard. Pressing A when the sound que says something makes the attack do more damage. (From Blue Birds in Rhythm Heaven)
Forward Smash: Flicks a board. (From Built to Scale in Rhythm Tendoku)
Up Smash: Sings. “Together now” is heard. If you stop charging right after the phrase “Together now” you will do more damage than when you charge it the whole way (From Glee Club in Rhythm Heaven Ds)
Down Smash: Turns into a seal, and rolls around four to ten times. “4-10 Flipper rolls” is heard. While you roll you will also hear bad counting the last two counts will be grunts of confusion. Like this “10 Flipper rolls! 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, uh, uh good job”. If you press A in tandem with the counting you will do much more damage. (From Flipper Flop in Rhythm Heaven Fever)
Areals:
Neutral Arial: Pulls out a device that attacks opponents on all sides with forks
Forward Arial: Rhythmically smacks the opponent with sticks (From Drummer Duel in Rhythm Heaven)
Back Arial: Shakes a beaker behind him. Hearts come out of the beaker. (From Love Lab in Rhythm Heaven)
Up Arial: Slashes overhead with a dagger (From Dog Ninja in Rhythm Heaven)
Down Arial: Taps downward. You will hear “And dum dum dum dum tap tap tap!” Pressing A to the beat will result in more damage (From Tap Troupe in Rhythm Heaven Fever)
Grab & Throws:
Grab: Becomes surprised as Barista grabs the opponent
Pummel: Smacks the opponents head. Does more damage if you do in at the right time.
Forward Throw: Jumps over a metronome (From Mr. Upbeat in Rhythm Heaven Tendoku)
Backward Throw: Strikes an odd pose (From Lockstep in Rhythm Heaven)
Up Throw: Throws the opponent upward. “Scratch-o” is heard. (From DJ School
Down Throw: A pump fills the oponent with too much oil, and the opponent explodes. (From Fillbots in Rhythm Heaven)
Specials, Customs, & Final Smash:
Neutral Special-Double Date: Kicks a Soccer ball, Basket Ball, or a Foot Ball. Soccer Balls are faster but only bounce once, and travel low to the ground. Basket Balls are medium speed, and bounce higher, as well as twice. Foot Balls bounce three times at varying speeds and directions (Depending on how they bounce).
Custom 1-Basket Ball: Only uses Basket balls
Custom 2-Kick: Does not use any balls, and instead is a slow kick.
Side Special-Micro-row: A chime is heard and Marshal swims forward. Pressing B at the right time makes you go farther.
Custom 1-Multi-row: You can swim in more than one direction
Custom 2- Super-row: This deals damage, but does not travel as far.
Up Special-Splashdown: Jumps with a dolphin. When the dolphin flips, Marshal gets launched off.
Custom 1-Spinning Dolphin: Deals damage, but does not go as far.
Custom 2-Leaping Syncrette: Gets thrown upward for more hight, but is not launched forward by a dolphin.
Down Special-Big Rock Finish: “One, Two, Three!” is heard. The player must press B four times afterward to deal massive damage.
Custom 1-Blow the Roof: Has a pushing effect instead of damage
Custom 2-Rock: Strum’s the guitar once for small damage.
Final Smash-Air Rally: The cat in an airplane picks up a fighter, and you play badminton with him. If done successfully, this is an instant K.O.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Holy ****, I just finished watching a W101 playthrough and a binge on the OST.

I desperately want Wonder Red in Smash, now.

Pakky

Smash Hero
So I got the majority of wave 4 today because Target was too stupid to put their pre-orders/"serve people who waited through the night" aside for the people who waited from them. Well you snooze you lose. I feel drunk with power like some sort of manga villain or something.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
You know, I really can see Pauline getting into a future Smash Bros game.

I imagine the internet reaction will be highly amusing if and when it does happen. :4megaman:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You know, I really can see Pauline getting into a future Smash Bros game.

I imagine the internet reaction will be highly amusing if and when it does happen. :4megaman:
I don't think Mega Man is the appropriate character for example. :4wiifit: is more like it.
Everyone would be like: "Why would you add another Earthbound (Mother) rep!" and "Why wasn't it Kumatora?!?"

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Don't know about you guys, but I don't plan on buying Splatoon for a while. I was looking forward to it, but I didn't want it anymore after I found out it's local multiplayer sucked. I was looking forward to having friends over to play it, but only one boring local multiplayer mode really did nothing to show the Wii U's capabilities.
Yea the local multiplayer isn't much to write home about. It is somewhat fun but gets old quickly. The online multiplayer on the other hand is hard to put down. For me anyway.

Although a lot of the content is coming sometime later, still a splash to play :p

'BECAUSE THEY'RE SUPER SISTERS AND BROOOOOOS'
That line tells me Kamiya wanted Blunder Red in Smash
Vorrken: No more holding back Blunder Red! No more absence from Smash!

Red: Wonder Red! Team, Unite up!

Since I have been playing W101 lately, I have been warming to him lately. Would like to see him uniting up with his team in Smash, if he ever gets the chance. Sadly his game is the best (and one of the best overall) underrated game on Wii U and he doesn't look really likely. But he is another spiky blond hero to go along with Isaac!

Still E3 is coming close. Hopefully some positive Smash news comes out of it. Besides Ryu that is.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I don't think Mega Man is the appropriate character for example. :4wiifit: is more like it.
Everyone would be like: "Why would you add another Earthbound (Mother) rep!" and "Why wasn't it Kumatora?!?"
He wasn't example, I just think he looks cute.

But :4duckhunt: Might be more fitting because he and Pauline are both retro.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I wonder how the Smash Poll is gonna work
How many are gonna made playable, 1-3?
Will they be the top picks for Europe, America and Asia or are they gonna merge them all and then pick the out of that
Y'know, I never actually thought of it like that. I think that may very well end up happening.

I would imagine it would be something like this...

Japan: Solid Snake
North America: Isaac
Europe/Australia: K. Rool

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
He wasn't example, I just think he looks cute.

But :4duckhunt: Might be more fitting because he and Pauline are both retro.
I don't know why people thought Duck Hunt was so unlikely. Duck Hunt was a super popular game and since it was packaged with SMB, everyone knows the dog. Plus, he's retro, which we all know Sakurai likes.

When the ESRB leak happened, I was more surprised to see Bowser Jr and Dark Pit as his own character than Duck Hunt.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't know why people thought Duck Hunt was so unlikely. Duck Hunt was a super popular game and since it was packaged with SMB, everyone knows the dog. Plus, he's retro, which we all know Sakurai likes.

When the ESRB leak happened, I was more surprised to see Bowser Jr and Dark Pit as his own character than Duck Hunt.
People were surprised because they didn't expect another surprise after :4wiifit: Although :4duckhunt: was a stroke of genius indeed.

:231:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
goddammit
Yea the local multiplayer isn't much to write home about. It is somewhat fun but gets old quickly. The online multiplayer on the other hand is hard to put down. For me anyway.

Although a lot of the content is coming sometime later, still a splash to play :p

Vorrken: No more holding back Blunder Red! No more absence from Smash!

Red: Wonder Red! Team, Unite up!

Since I have been playing W101 lately, I have been warming to him lately. Would like to see him uniting up with his team in Smash, if he ever gets the chance. Sadly his game is the best (and one of the best overall) underrated game on Wii U and he doesn't look really likely. But he is another spiky blond hero to go along with Isaac!

Still E3 is coming close. Hopefully some positive Smash news comes out of it. Besides Ryu that is.
Remember when Wonder Red's trophy was revealed and how everyone on miiverse went "Ermahgerd, third party trophies!"? That's bad. Smash would have saved Wonderful 101 like it helped Xenoblade. Difference is, Xenoblade got lots of attention by a popular Let's Player while W101 didn't

Burruni

Smash Hero

Because, just like when the Brawl roster was leaked, the Retro seemed like an odd but recognizable choice with little inherit moveset potential in comparison to a high-running fan favorite kind of retro.

:rob: was scorned around as much as :wolf: when the roster was leaked.

Many people's issue with :4duckhunt: was with his affirmation of the ESRB leak that kept out many fan favorite picks more than anything wrong about him by himself.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, honestly, the Inkling Smashified really was totally unnecessary. This doesn't look any better for Smash Bros. than the Inkling Splatoon artwork. That said I knew it was coming, which is kinda irritating because Isaac could use the artwork a lot more -AND- we know he's being worked on. Oh well, I'm just looking forward to when Isaac finally is released, then I'll request Lip after every new video, then I'm done with it.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
When their original art is just as Smash-y....

It's nice to see the support from the Smashified community, but even as a supporter I feel like Inklings is someone who didn't need the urgency of the work.
I feel Inklings are in the top 3 most likely ( at least for next smash) list if not the most.
Maybe they should do Ryu before E3. Will be interesting to compare with the official art!

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
goddammit

Remember when Wonder Red's trophy was revealed and how everyone on miiverse went "Ermahgerd, third party trophies!"? That's bad. Smash would have saved Wonderful 101 like it helped Xenoblade. Difference is, Xenoblade got lots of attention by a popular Let's Player while W101 didn't
Not really since Shulk wad choosen before Chugga did the playthrough. Even then, some would still think that he is 3rd party since he didn't specialize who it made it. Really, it was Gematsu Leak that made people realize he is not 3rd party.

But yeah, someone please Let's Play W 101. Most underrated game ever.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Not really since Shulk wad choosen before Chugga did the playthrough. Even then, some would still think that he is 3rd party since he didn't specialize who it made it. Really, it was Gematsu Leak that made people realize he is not 3rd party.

But yeah, someone please Let's Play W 101. Most underrated game ever.
What I meant was that Chuggaa is easily the second thing that helped Xenoblade getting attention, Smash being the first

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yea as much as I am starting to love Splatoon, they really didn't need Smashified. We already have HD renders for them.

Well hopefully the next Smashified is much more interesting.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Xenoblade hype kinda died out after the reveal it was a gamestop exclusive iirc
I think Storm means that Xenoblade localization in general happened due to a massive effort of fan demand while W101... hapened and was a solid game but was not exactly in huge demand in the market, if you get what I mean.

I mean.... how many people still beg for :4lucas:'s game to finally get a localization?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom