• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You haven't seen Mewtwo Returns either, have you?
Long story short, Ash encountered Mewtwo again in Johto, helped him and his clone friends with Giovanni and with Mewtwo's internal struggle of whether or not he really belongs in the world, and Mewtwo did not wipe his memory this time.

As for the idea of different continuity, that makes even less sense than the two Mewtwo being the same individual.
Nope. Thanks for info then. Argument invalid. Less stuff to quote at least.
The only difference the Genesect movie would have done if it somehow debuted before Melee would be Mewtwo having different characterization in Smash along with the female voice and using Aura Sphere instead of Shadow Ball.

The reason why Mewtwo has his telekinetic hovering is because Sakurai liked the concept, not because it was the "only" route to take.
No, seriously. The idea of Mewtwo being an ESP-based fighter was part of why Sakurai wanted to have Mewtwo since the original Smash.

Just like the idea of making Jigglypuff make Kirby-like jumps despite not doing so....anywhere. Essentially just because she was the Balloon Pokémon.
Thats not taking anything away from him and not adding anything new either.
He's more of the guy that doesn't move if he doesn't have to if we're going by the 1st anime Mewtwo.
Think about it. His style of fighting was staying in place, using psychic barriers to avoid getting hit, reflecting attacks back at the opponent, using telekinesis to immobilize opponents or send them flying, and firing Shadow Balls.
It wasn't until Mew showed up and kept dodging his Shadow Balls from a distance did he actually start flying around to chase Mew down.
Sorry for words used, couldn't resist.
Basically, if opponent sucks, he just gets that noob reckt without telling him to git gud. If opponent is gud, he puts effort into the fight. Most of characters in SSB are worth putting effort into the fight (and unfortunately, outside of PM, he still doesn't puts effort).
Having a hump doesn't translate to being top-heavy.
Here are some examples of being top-heavy:
Wind Waker Ganondorf (actually, any older muscular male character in the "Toon" style falls under this)
Sonic Boom Knuckles
Mega Swampert
Donkey Kong

Ridley's older designs aren't top-heavy. Other M Ridley is.
And he's nicknamed "Roidley" due to how beefy he is compared to previous designs.
He doesn't looks any more top-heavy than your average male human. His bust is only slightly wider than his pelvis (should it be called "hips" if i count both pelvis and legs?) and both are a lot wider than his waist (...i dunno why he has such thin waist...). His arms are long, but thats the only thing different from a normal man's proportions. That and his thin waist.
It's clear you and I have very different definitions of the word "realistic".
This point is just going to be an endless circle, so I'm going to withdraw from it.
Ok then.
Basically he's better off as a wyrm than a wyvern.

(Ironically, wyverns are technically more "realistic" due to not having an abnormal amount of limbs for a vertebrate...:troll:)
And they would certainly be lighter than normal dragons.
The Metroid series should just make human/metroid splicing a thing and have a villain for a future game being one of the first instances of this experiment. Humanoid, but transparent like a Metroid with veins and retractable tentacles visible underneath. Basically a humanoid jellyfish that can feed on nearly all energy sources. The lights can go off as he/she walks by for atmospheric effect.

And you are also creating a future Smash character.
Basically Dark Samus minus the exoskeleton and more of a Metroid than whatever it became.

People will still want Ridley more unless that character will appear in a lot more games, will have bigger role and Ridley will disappear completly. And Metroid isn't liked much by Sakurai (not that it should be held as something like Mario or LoZ), so, possibility of more than 1 newcommer is low.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Human/Metroid splicing is already present.
Well, technically Human(oid)/Chozo/Metroid. Samus is part Metroid now.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ah, I am behind the times.

I just looked at Dark Samus without the suit and it is along the lines of what I was getting at.

Then we need a Ridley/Samus hybrid (they are always recreating Ridley) in order to make Ridley more humanoid size for a future Smash game.

OR:

Have Samus find parts to make a Ridley suit instead of her normal Chozo one.
Ridley-Suit Samus.

Last edited:
I still completely disagree sakurai doenst like metroid. New stage light character rework (zss) 2 new assist trophies (more than most can say) and a stage that was apparently worthy enough to be its own 50 fact thing.

Weird views on rodley (the obedient part and not a clone and meta rodley part. Not the too big part)? Maybe

Disliking metroid? I doubt it.

Burruni

Smash Hero

I just looked at Dark Samus without the suit and it is along the lines of what I was getting at.

Then we need a Ridley/Samus hybrid (they are always recreating Ridley) in order to make Ridley more humanoid size for a future Smash game.

OR:

Ridley-Suit Samus.
"Always Recreating Ridley."

>Injured in Zero Mission, becomes Meta Ridley while getting his wounds treated in Prime 1 because technology.
>Returns in full force in Metroid 3, gets injured, and flies off. Gets killed in Super Metroid.
>Cloned into Roidley from Samus's suit. Corpse of clone gets infected by X-Parasites in fusion.

He was only remade one time, looking at canon.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

>Injured in Zero Mission, becomes Meta Ridley while getting his wounds treated in Prime 1 because technology.
>Returns in full force in Metroid 3, gets injured, and flies off. Gets killed in Super Metroid.
>Cloned into Roidley from Samus's suit. Corpse of clone gets infected by X-Parasites in fusion.

Well if you keep playing the game, then it keeps on happening. :roll:

Pakky

Smash Hero
To bring up a lighter subject....

Since we had a few people make a few "Reveal puns" for characters yesterday, why not do Boxing Ring titles for your most wanted/expected characters?

Bandana Dee - The Spearman of Dee-struction

Inkling - The Territorial Inkvader

Ganon - Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely
King K Rool- The Banana Bandit

Wonder Red- Defender of Diplomacy

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
And part Neo Ridley so y'all got your wish.
X-Parasites are absorbed in the same way as life energy is sucked out of normal creatures. Upgrades for Samus are working on space magic, so, maybe thats how they keep them. Still doesn't makes sense for Ridley-X to have Screw Attack.
I still completely disagree sakurai doenst like metroid. New stage light character rework (zss) 2 new assist trophies (more than most can say) and a stage that was apparently worthy enough to be its own 50 fact thing.

Weird views on rodley (the obedient part and not a clone and meta rodley part. Not the too big part)? Maybe

Disliking metroid? I doubt it.
I didn't said he dislikes it. I said he doesn't likes it much. Character rework isn't exactly right word to choose (more like usual buffing rather than something like what Bowser and Pit have now since most of attacks are same, except with higher damage even though that wasn't needed, extra GFX and Up B and Side Smash were replaced with those that use Jet Boots), Metroid stage sucks because of annoying stage hazard that nobody asked for and instead wanted to NOT exist since it ruins yet another Metroid stage (if i would ask you to count Metroid stages without annoying hazards, you would be able to count them on 1 hand and not even get to 2 because only Frigate Orpheon has no such bulls**t, but still has a stage hazard that can just tell you to f*** off and turn the stage around when you are suffering fron end lag, were burried or nearly reached the edge/platform that now is no longer here), Assist Trophies...don't know how to answer on that one. On one hand, thats already a lot, but on the other hand, KI has 2 ATs while Metroid has 3 despite this franchise being far larger and more successful.

Last part is incorrect. Corspe of clone never moved from the fridge. X-Parasite/Core-X just copied its DNA and then mimicked him in other place, far away from the fridge (its not a fridge, but whatever, its recommended to keep your giant purple space dragons' clone's corpse in the fridge so it would remain in the best condition).

OR:

Ridley-Suit Samus.
Or just make him smaller (around 7-8 feet tall to make sure he is still bigger than Samus) for no reasons. He became a lot smaller in MP3 after becoming Omega Ridley without there being any reason for this to happen, so, why not?

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I dislike that kind of stuff and know next to nothing about stuff related to it, so, can't really tell if its the same thing or not. So, i'll give my example. If SSB64 would be made with same gameplay as it has, but with original cast it had* instead of famous Nintendo characters, would you still play it as much?

I disagree. This does not affect the debate anyway.

Just because one small shark out of 10000 decided to bite your toe doesn't means that every single one of them is a bloodthirsty killing machine that will attack anyone on sight.

Of course. But it also depends on what Sakurai will think of it. If he will decide to be an idiot again with such decisions (before you say anything about salt, let me remind you that he though tripping was a good idea, "same roster for both versions even though it can result in WiiU version getting handicapped because 3DS one can't handle a character that works just fine on WiiU version", have game give you custom moves you already have and no longer need, use completly new enemies for SSE even though actual Nintendo enemies we all know and love would be a lot better, etc.), then no. But if he will think its fine, then it can happen.

* - SSB originally did not had Nintendo characters.

But from what we see, it pretty much was the same thing in terms of gameplay (% meter instead of health bars, 4 players instead of usual 2, characters don't automatically turn to face each other and a stage that consists of more than just floor, background and extra stuff that doesn't affects gameplay) and hello, future Captain Falcon.
If my options were to get a smash bros fighter with no-name people, or no game at all, yes I would pick the no name figher because I'm not picking it over nintendo characters, I'm picking it in it's place. You seem to think Sopo would be getting in over the IC's. My position is that we can't have both, so we get one instead of nothing. IC's > Sopo > Nothing.

And on the fish thing, if you're talking about ridley fans, it would be if 999 out of 1000 sharks bit my toe, I would assume they all are, because I've been negatively reinforced that way

Ivander

Smash Legend
Human/Metroid splicing is already present.
Well, technically Human(oid)/Chozo/Metroid. Samus is part Metroid now.
Wasn't the Metroid thing more of a vaccine with side-effects? Also, I thought there was a mention that it was temporary.

That being said, I always the thought the idea of an actual Human/Metroid Hybrid(besides Samus and Dark Samus) would be an interesting take. But then again, I always liked the concept of Metroid 1.5.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
If my options were to get a smash bros fighter with no-name people, or no game at all, yes I would pick the no name figher because I'm not picking it over nintendo characters, I'm picking it in it's place. You seem to think Sopo would be getting in over the IC's. My position is that we can't have both, so we get one instead of nothing. IC's > Sopo > Nothing.

And on the fish thing, if you're talking about ridley fans, it would be if 999 out of 1000 sharks bit my toe, I would assume they all are, because I've been negatively reinforced that way
Then i'll bring you car comparison again. You can get your car back, but it can no longer be used as a car. You still can rotate the wheel, sit inside of it, wash it, etc., but the only reason to have it has been lost, so, there is no point in it. In such case, nothing is better. And let me remind you that instead of nothing, its free development time and resources that could be spent on other DLC characters. Something so valueable that wasting it never ends well. So, using this car...whatever its called, you can either buy this car that no longer works and waste your money or keep your money and buy something else that works.
Didn't Sakurai even said that team working on DLC characters is smaller than team that worked on the main game? That would make those 2 things even more valuable.

There are a lot more Ridley fans than 1000, so, what you encountered might as well be 1 shark.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Then i'll bring you car comparison again. You can get your car back, but it can no longer be used as a car. You still can rotate the wheel, sit inside of it, wash it, etc., but the only reason to have it has been lost, so, there is no point in it. In such case, nothing is better. And let me remind you that instead of nothing, its free development time and resources that could be spent on other DLC characters. Something so valueable that wasting it never ends well. So, using this car...whatever its called, you can either buy this car that no longer works and waste your money or keep your money and buy something else that works.
Didn't Sakurai even said that team working on DLC characters is smaller than team that worked on the main game? That would make those 2 things even more valuable.

There are a lot more Ridley fans than 1000, so, what you encountered might as well be 1 shark.
It was every ridley fan I've ever talked to, except 1. The 1 was the one who wasn't a prick.

And your analogy is lacking one thing. The car I get back should still be able to drive, becasue a figher is still fucntional.

A better car analogy would be my original car was a luxury model with extra features like satelight radio and a back cam or something. My car is then taken an replaced with a ****ty old junker. I'd rather have my luxury car, but if I can't then I'd rather have a junker than nothing.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

This is assuming almost EVERY Ridley fan bit your toe.

Only a minority have been bad eggs.

At this point you ARE demonizing and stereotyping a whole group of people.

Logic should tell you that's a bad thing.

Regardless, both of you drop this conversation.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
So we're all onboard with Ridley-Suit Samus for the next Smash?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It was every ridley fan I've ever talked to, except 1. The 1 was the one who wasn't a prick.

And your analogy is lacking one thing. The car I get back should still be able to drive, becasue a figher is still fucntional.

A better car analogy would be my original car was a luxury model with extra features like satelight radio and a back cam or something. My car is then taken an replaced with a ****ty old junker. I'd rather have my luxury car, but if I can't then I'd rather have a junker than nothing.
But they were not every single Ridley fan that exists.

But its not functional in the way its known to be functioning. Ice Climbers (will call it ICar just because) are more like a car with the only good thing about it being that it is fast and comfortable, but it costs so much that you can't afford it. SoPo is a car that is slow as f*** (and fails to work from time to time) and still has issues of the ICar and yet remains expensive (not as bad as with ICar though). And then there is also another car unrelated to both of these that is slower than ICar, but better than in in every other way and better in every way than SoPo. And its free.
You'd better keep the money rather than buy that piece of scrapmetal.
So we're all onboard with Ridley-Suit Samus for the next Smash?
No, but it would be nice to see Samus have recolor that makes orange parts purple and turns green parts into orange parts. Like on that Smash 3C Samus mod.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
To bring up a lighter subject....

Since we had a few people make a few "Reveal puns" for characters yesterday, why not do Boxing Ring titles for your most wanted/expected characters?

Bandana Dee - The Spearman of Dee-struction

Inkling - The Territorial Inkvader

Ganon - Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely
Wonder Red - Wonder...PUNCH!

Tiki - Sleeper Hit

Anna - Mysteriously Magnificent Merchant

Professor Layton - Puzzle-Solving Prodigy

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
But its not functional in the way its known to be functioning. Ice Climbers (will call it ICar just because) are more like a car with the only good thing about it being that it is fast and comfortable, but it costs so much that you can't afford it. SoPo is a car that is slow as f*** (and fails to work from time to time) and still has issues of the ICar and yet remains expensive (not as bad as with ICar though). And then there is also another car unrelated to both of these that is slower than ICar, but better than in in every other way and better in every way than SoPo. And its free.
You'd better keep the money rather than buy that piece of scrapmetal.

No, but it would be nice to see Samus have recolor that makes orange parts purple and turns green parts into orange parts. Like on that Smash 3C Samus mod.
But I don't think the third car, in this case a dfferent DLc character, would be better than SoPo. There are maybe 5 I'd prefer over him, and if those aren't options, then I'd prefer Sopo.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
But I don't think the third car, in this case a dfferent DLc character, would be better than SoPo. There are maybe 5 I'd prefer over him, and if those aren't options, then I'd prefer Sopo.
Thirds car is Dedede. And a different DLC character would be better just because that character is liked not only because of its appearence in SSB. Doesn't matters who. If they would put up DLC poll with K.Rool, Dixie, Wonder Red, Mewtwo, Roy, Ridley, Ganon, Rayman, Snake, Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur, etc. and Popo from Ice Climbers (and IC would never have been playable in SSB), you would not see him go far.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I didn't noticed your post. I didn't even get a notice of it. Smashboard is weird with that. And you meant drop IC and Ridley fans arguing or just one of those?
Both got a little nasty. So both.

And I thought neither of you saw it. Which was why I gave you both one more chance.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact she's the only one who died with me
Yes, I was playing Casual mode
Git good at Fire Emblem :shades:
We're rating Chorus Kids today...sure takes me back.
But not in a good way.
Speaking of this, I just realized that our conversations and arguments about Chrom, Chorus Kids and Gematsu in general are all stored in this thread. I should go hunt them down.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
How could Sakurai think removing his most iconic move was a good idea? What's next, not letting Kirby inhale? Giving Link knuckle dusters as his primary weapon? Giving Little Mac a steampunk rocket launcher?
It's obvious. One of the designers working on Wario decided to add it as one of his moves to give WL something, yet he knew Sakurai would never approve. So he showed him this mingame:
And convinced him it was from there. Later, Sakurai found out the truth, and that designer has never been seen since.

Alternately, they wanted to give him more range or something.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's obvious. One of the designers working on Wario decided to add it as one of his moves to give WL something, yet he knew Sakurai would never approve. So he showed him this mingame:
And convinced him it was from there. Later, Sakurai found out the truth, and that designer has never been seen since.

I still prefer the shoulder tackle

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
How could Sakurai think removing his most iconic move was a good idea? What's next, not letting Kirby inhale? Giving Link knuckle dusters as his primary weapon? Giving Little Mac a steampunk rocket launcher?
Yeah. Shoulder Barge (or Bash? Wiki says Barge) was his iconic move and not Wario Waft. But lets remove that! Why would he need it?
Last one reminded me of this:

I guess thats how he feels in SSB4.

If that would be a good excuse (to give him more range), then why not replace Mario's fireballs with little FoaB's and what TehEpicRyuga said about Little Max? So, i doubt that was the reason why.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I think the reason they changed Wario's smashes is so that he can have more crude, "Wario"-fied versions of Mario's smashes. His downsmash was already a breakdance so changing it wasn't needed.

I mean I'm not excusing it (the new fsmash is an awful move) but I can sorta see what they're going for even if I don't like it.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Are King K Rool's boxing gloves something that would make a good special or a good smash attack?

probably fake and you all probably know about this,but slowpoke is my favorite pokemon

Also

that's cool

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom