• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Ryu doesn't need a tag line.

Just have :4mario:&:4megaman: fight each other and then this pops up

View attachment 50379
And Ryu shows up
Would be perfect;.. Mario and Megaman (and maybe others) fighting normally, then the screen freezes and goes black & white; interrupting the scene the text appears "Here Comes a New Challenger".... Then Ryu could get a SFIV fashioned title card; ..with black ink drawing his render, and then he showing up some gameplay!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Do you know that Roy has a pretty good want % in RTC thread? And this one Smashboards, the place where most Roy salt takes place. If you look at Japan and the majority of Smashers in general, they support Roy.
There are still lots of FE fans who dislike Roy, however, just like with Ridley, the fans heavily outweigh the haters

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
"-insert character- -adjective- in!"
"-insert character- -adjective- into battle!"
*verb. :p

"Tingle Disgusts the Opposition!"
"Porky plays dead apologises profusely readies his Pigmasks!"
"WALUIGI TIME! TOO BAD."
"Wolf can't let you do that!"

:231:

D

Deleted member

He has a rather big head in those games and Zero Mission design has giant feet and hands.
Still looks too thin to support weight of his head, but still better than SM Ridley's. MP3 Ridleys have better necks, but aren't as "alien" as usual. They don't have that limb-like appearace.
His head is not nearly as big in those games as it is in Super Metroid's artwork/Brawl in proportion to his body.
As for the "giant hands and feet", that's only in his sprite for Zero Mission. Said sprite also shrinks his wings, makes his tail into separated balled segments, makes his neck noodly and thin, etc.

How the hell did they made 2 nearly exactly same Mewtwos in exactly same lab and both broke out in pretty much same time without facing each other?
Even then, both can levitate freely and that was the point.
That's the thing; different lab, different team of scientists, unknown time apart. Backstories are also different as well as their voices (the second Mewtwo has a female voice) and personalities.

Levitation is generally an anime-exclusive thing, though. In-game, there have only been two instances; Pokémon Stadium where Mewtwo flies towards the camera when selecting VS. Mewtwo, and Pokémon Ranger Guardian Signs (though notably, when in combat, Mewtwo hovers right above the ground as opposed to flying around like, again, a DBZ character).
Even Origins kept the floating detail that the First Movie introduced away, instead having Mewtwo run at breakneck speeds and make leaps.
It's true that Smash gives Mewtwo his light weight setting due to being in a constant state of levitation (no doubt due to the anime), but that's still something to consider; that his levitation is not the same as in the anime.

Yeah. Looks more threatening (outside of his beak) and fixes weird parts of other designs (pencil-thin neck, huge overbite and a giant head).
While adding a bunch new weird parts (other than the beak) such as random spikes all over his body, top-heavy frame with gorilla arms, and previous stages of life being a sinister Furby and a fluffy dog-lizard with big bulgy eyes.

Technically, its a Eldritch Abomination that encased itself in Phazon Suit it stole from Samus and then partially reshaped itself to fit it (it didn't bothered adding completly unnecessary parts like right arm, mouth, nose, ears, hair, actual skin, etc) and then became nothing but pure Phazon after being defeated on Aether. But at least all of those things look more-or-less realistic.
How?
None of it looks even remotely plausible. Least of all this:

Just doesn't looks right.
So....Ridley doesn't look right unless he's completely "realistic" (which he has never been even by dragon standards) with no sense of anything remotely nonsensical?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Is there anyone who knows how to make color palletes for characters, I've seen plenty of them online here, and I was wondering if anyone could teach me.
You crop out the individual parts, and then you recolor them with a Hue/Saturation too.
Seems rather self-explanatory to me...unless you're referring to something else?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
His head is not nearly as big in those games as it is in Super Metroid's artwork/Brawl in proportion to his body.
As for the "giant hands and feet", that's only in his sprite for Zero Mission. Said sprite also shrinks his wings, makes his tail into separated balled segments, makes his neck noodly and thin, etc.
Its better to use in-game stuff rather than artworks because, well, remember Mega Man?
That's the thing; different lab, different team of scientists, unknown time apart. Backstories are also different as well as their voices (the second Mewtwo has a female voice) and personalities.
Doesn't really looks like it (outside of personality differences).
And technically, Mewtwos have no voice since its all telepathic, so, may just depend on the person they are talking to. But whatever.
Levitation is generally an anime-exclusive thing, though. In-game, there have only been two instances; Pokémon Stadium where Mewtwo flies towards the camera when selecting VS. Mewtwo, and Pokémon Ranger Guardian Signs (though notably, when in combat, Mewtwo hovers right above the ground as opposed to flying around like, again, a DBZ character).
Even Origins kept the floating detail that the First Movie introduced away, instead having Mewtwo run at breakneck speeds and make leaps.
Origins was made after Melee and so was that movie with "2nd" Mewtwo. And you know, flying pokemons don't fly around during battles even if it would be useful against those who can't reach them, so, PRGS example doesn't really works.
While adding a bunch new weird parts (other than the beak) such as random spikes all over his body, top-heavy frame with gorilla arms, and previous stages of life being a sinister Furby and a fluffy dog-lizard with big bulgy eyes.
Those random spikes still work well for the design and i don't agree about "top-heavy". He has long and bulky arms, yes, but his torso isn't as bulky as in other versions.
How?
None of it looks even remotely plausible. Least of all this:
Thats not exactly what i meant. Using this as example, while shooting eye beams isn't realistic at all, Mother Brain looks like a real brain with several noticable differences (spikes, weird metal tubes, eye, etc).
So....Ridley doesn't look right unless he's completely "realistic" (which he has never been even by dragon standards) with no sense of anything remotely nonsensical?
If we are using Other M (and we do since its SSB4 and Sakurai decided to choose it), yes. Wouldn't be as bad if MP or older games would be used, but arm-wigs and that tail would look rather weird.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As long as Sakurai is directing Smash Bros., Ridley will not be playable. Unless the next Metroid game makes him work 100% fitting Smash Bros. And even IF Smash is going to get a new director, I doubt he (/ she, lets not be sexist here) would have the experience to make Ridley work. So to me, the situation is crystal clear: he won't be a playable character in Smash Bros. like, ever.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Anyone else willing to guess which characters will be added as alts for DLC next?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
"Ridley makes my dreams come true."

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wonder if Ryu could get a tagline that isn't generic even if it makes sense.

I was thinking "Ryu joins the ultimate battle" which is the tagline UMvC3 used for its newcomers but yknow this isn't Ultimate Smash Bros....joins the super battle maybe?????

EDIT: RYU SEEKS NEW CHALLENGERS
Or...

Ryu goes turbo!

*Wreck-It Ralph reference*

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Isn't Ridley the dragon with an orange color palette choice that resembles one of the pokemon?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Anyone else willing to guess which characters will be added as alts for DLC next?
What do you mean by "next"? Has it happened already? I'm not aware of DLC alts being created.

EDIT: Do you mean Mii costumes? Because that's completely and totally different from "alts".

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I unlocked the King K Rool trophy today in Smash for Wii U

Oh man soon, so very soon.

topical.....

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Okay, let's say a Smash game came out for arcade or something with a limit of 35 characters. Just grasping it firmly straws here. Now, let's say you got to choose the roster, cutting out the fat of the bunch and dealing in necessity. As opposed to moveset alone, now a huge factor is recognizability and saturation of key Nintendo characters.

Who do you scrap? Who do you leave (or even add as a newcomer)? And most importantly, what is the final roster?

And please, the arcade situation is hypothetical. Do not factor it into your reasoning.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
arguments time ! see if character arguments are valid or trash
rules: nothing obviously valid or obviously trash NOTE: this doesn't mean all arguments are trash

Ice Climbers can only be Popo AND Nana, so Popo with a Nana alt can't get in: TRASH Sakurai never said anything about them having to be one entity, they'd return to normal in the next game (if console exclusive)

Captain Toad can't jump, TRASH the devs can make him jump or make a heavyweight jump

Bandana Dee can't get in because Kirby is undeserving, TRASH lots of smash was taken from Kirby so Kirby is probably one of the most deserving franchises
Generic, TRASH Bandana fought regular Dees in RtD, and ROB fought undistinguished ROBs

Goku is anime, VALID Sakurai said only video game characters

Pakky

Smash Hero
rules: nothing obviously valid or obviously trash NOTE: this doesn't mean all arguments are trash

Ice Climbers can only be Popo AND Nana, so Popo with a Nana alt can't get in: TRASH Sakurai never said anything about them having to be one entity, they'd return to normal in the next game (if console exclusive)

Captain Toad can't jump, TRASH the devs can make him jump or make a heavyweight jump

Bandana Dee can't get in because Kirby is undeserving, TRASH lots of smash was taken from Kirby so Kirby is probably one of the most deserving franchises
Generic, TRASH Bandana fought regular Dees in RtD, and ROB fought undistinguished ROBs

I think Bandana Dee matters, I just have beef when it comes to Pokemon. In fact I would love Bandana Dee.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Okay, let's say a Smash game came out for arcade or something with a limit of 35 characters. Just grasping it firmly straws here. Now, let's say you got to choose the roster, cutting out the fat of the bunch and dealing in necessity. As opposed to moveset alone, now a huge factor is recognizability and saturation of key Nintendo characters.

Who do you scrap? Who do you leave (or even add as a newcomer)? And most importantly, what is the final roster?

And please, the arcade situation is hypothetical. Do not factor it into your reasoning.
:4mario::4luigi::4yoshi::4wario2::4dk::4link:
:4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4fox::4samus::4pit:
:4marth::4falcon::4ness::4littlemac::4olimar::4villager:
:4wiifit::4shulk::4gaw::4sonic::4mii::substitute:
I'd try to have every first-party series in Smash represented by its main character, with a few extras here and there to spice things up. Since this is a sequel and based on the existing roster, the Original Twelve are intact. The special additions here are:

- Luigi: it's in the name, you've gotta have the brothers. He represents the 2P archetype, a long-standing tradition in fighting games
- Jigglypuff: the joke character archetype. Her moveset is deliberately awful in this game, but very amusing
- Mr Game & Watch: the retro character, filling in the role of token throwback
- Sonic: the third-party character, added to make things more diverse
- Mii: adapts to fit a random character's fighting style. They represent the mimic archetype in fighting games
- Substitute: random button

This was actually really fun. :3

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd try to have every first-party series in Smash represented by its main character, with a few extras here and there to spice things up. Since this is a sequel and based on the existing roster, the Original Twelve are intact. The special additions here are:

- Luigi: it's in the name, you've gotta have the brothers. He represents the 2P archetype, a long-standing tradition in fighting games
- Jigglypuff: the joke character archetype. Her moveset is deliberately awful in this game, but very amusing
- Mii: adapts to fit a random character's fighting style. They represent the mimic archetype in fighting games

Mii's not really plausible in an arcade setting. You'd have to go out of your way to create Mii's in the Arcade itself. The only thing I could see happening as a random option (after picking the character) is something like "Ditto" which can formshift into any character.

The other problem with Smash having a mimic character like that is not all of the characters are humanoid. A humanoid character like Mii can't plausibly mimic all fighting styles.

Also, you only listed 24 characters as opposed to the 35 alotted.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

X series is overreped: TRASH! As long as the series isn't taking up the whole roster, it's fine. Also, those "overreped" franchises have tons of very unique characters, so the fact that you think a series has a lot of characters shouldn't stop you from liking a character.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it, it's part of a surveying process I'm running on character importance and who beats who out more often in cut and dry bare-bones roster situations.

Since I spent all this time explaining might as well give mine.

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4dk::4diddy::4yoshi::4wario:
:4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4samus:(Ridley):4pit::4marth::4myfriends:
:4pikachu::4lucario::4mewtwo::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4dedede::4falcon::4villager:
:4ness::4olimar::4littlemac::4fox::4falco::4shulk::4gaw::4rob:
:substitute::substitute::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::132::substitute::substitute:

Ditto is Random, Substitutes are placeholders/free space.

REASONING:
I wanted the franchises with more than two reps to be relegated to the AAA franchises, Nintendo's big 3. Other series with two reps are Nintendo's AA or A-list franchises.

For the Mario series I left in all of the main four because I believed them to be iconic and deserving enough to warrant the limited spots. The two main iconic heroes, the main villain, and the main female/plot point, all repped.

For Zelda I stuck it at the Triforce Trio. If I had to cut one it would be Zelda herself but I felt like there was enough space.

For Pokemon I went with the original 12 reps, the most iconic 1st gen pokemon (was a tie with Charizard) and the up and coming new series icon in the form of the non-first gen Lucario.

I gave DK, Metroid, Starfox, Kirby, Fire Emblem 2 reps because I believed them to be the series with the most recognizability and iconic status for their second reps. Diddy is an obvious choice, and Falco, Ike, and to a lesser extent Dedede all got their familiarity within the highly casual market from Brawl (and Melee). Ridley is Ridley, point in check. Besides, they could bend the rules for an arcade port, it would likely only do one on one matches anyway.

The rest besides third party are current reps for notable smaller Nintendo series and two token hardware reps.

Sonic and Mega Man are because of Popularity and star power, Pac Man is star power and Namco's likely influence in an arcade smash (they DID make Smash 4 and Pokken Tournament).

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Mii's not really plausible in an arcade setting. You'd have to go out of your way to create Mii's in the Arcade itself.
Actually, there's a similar kind of avatar creating implemented into NAMCO Bandai Arcade games... You have a card (called Banapassport) that you put in the machine;.. you make the character and save it.. When you back sometime, your avatar is already set to play again. (and is how the progress of Arcade games is saved for an individual user too..the Mario Kart Arcade GP games uses that system;.. I believe that just the Avatars aren't playable in these games though).

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Mii's not really plausible in an arcade setting. You'd have to go out of your way to create Mii's in the Arcade itself. The only thing I could see happening as a random option (after picking the character) is something like "Ditto" which can formshift into any character.

The other problem with Smash having a mimic character like that is not all of the characters are humanoid. A humanoid character like Mii can't plausibly mimic all fighting styles.

Also, you only listed 24 characters as opposed to the 35 alotted.
It's a Mii. It looks like a Mii. It fights like a character. I don't see the issue.

And what's your point? It didn't say the 35 slots are mandatory, I didn't feel it necessary fill up the roster with excessive ephemera for the sake of filling up arbitrary slots.

EDIT: In hindsight, I apologise for the unnecessary snark, but I really do think it's not a big a deal as is opined thereto.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Its better to use in-game stuff rather than artworks because, well, remember Mega Man?
Remember that Mega Man is a guest character and was designed specifically to reflect his 8-bit days.

Also remember that Brawl Ridley uses the Super Metroid artwork design (with a purple palette) rather than a design based off the in-game sprite.

Doesn't really looks like it (outside of personality differences).
And technically, Mewtwos have no voice since its all telepathic, so, may just depend on the person they are talking to. But whatever.
There's a problem with this idea;
Both Mewtwo have encountered Ash at some point (the 2nd not prior to the Genesect movie). Why would the first Mewtwo randomly decide to change his voice to that of a female and completely act like he doesn't know Ash (when Ash clearly recognizes who he thinks is the same Mewtwo he's met before) while taking steps BACK in his character development to be absolutely distrusting of humans (to the point he coldly brushes off Ash and his current companions while only expressing concern for the safety of their Pokémon when he protects them from the Genesect) and believing he doesn't belong in the world after already determining he does after Mewtwo Returns? All while having the ability to Mega Evolve at will due to experimentation that never happened in the First Movie because Mewtwo blew up the lab before any tests could be done?

Seriously. There's too many plotholes that form if you try to claim they are one and the same, and the director of the movie even acknowledged it was a different Mewtwo.

Origins was made after Melee and so was that movie with "2nd" Mewtwo. And you know, flying pokemons don't fly around during battles even if it would be useful against those who can't reach them, so, PRGS example doesn't really works.
.....and?

And you're right; Pokémon don't really fly away from their opponents' reach in-battle whenever they feel like it in the games.
So why would Mewtwo in Smash?

Those random spikes still work well for the design and i don't agree about "top-heavy". He has long and bulky arms, yes, but his torso isn't as bulky as in other versions.
He's certainly more "buff" than the others. There's a reason he has the nickname "Roidley".

Thats not exactly what i meant. Using this as example, while shooting eye beams isn't realistic at all, Mother Brain looks like a real brain with several noticable differences (spikes, weird metal tubes, eye, etc).
So, just because she looks like a brain (though is more spherical in shape) makes her realistic? Yet, she's actually an AI supercomputer designed to look like a brain. This is what I'm getting at. There's nothing realistic about her.
If looking like something was all it took to be "realistic", then no matter what, Ridley is fine as long as he resembles a dragon. But the reality is there's nothing "realistic" about any of his designs.

If we are using Other M (and we do since its SSB4 and Sakurai decided to choose it), yes. Wouldn't be as bad if MP or older games would be used, but arm-wigs and that tail would look rather weird.
So it's specifically the wyvern-esque design of Ridley-2 you have an issue with. Understandable.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This is not a prediction... just my wish list...

:4bowser: Dry Bowser
:4charizard: Shiny Charizard (seriously, why didn't they do this back in Brawl?)
:4littlemac: SNES Little Mac (blonde and shirtless)
:4link: Postman outfit from Hyrule Warriors, Ravio outfit
:4lucario: Shiny Lucario (ditto with Charizard)
:4mario: Referee Mario from Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
:4mewtwo: Shiny Mewtwo (he had it in Melee but not in SSB4)
:4olimar::4alph: Brittany
:4pacman: Ms. Pac-Man, Jr. Pac-Man
:4peach: Sports outfit with ponytail
:rosalina: Biker outfit
:4samus: Justin Bailey Samus (basically :4zss: with :4samus: moves)
:4tlink: Conductor Link, Outset Link
:4villager::4villagerf: 4 more male Villagers and 4 more female Villagers
:4wario::4wario2: 4 more biker outfits and 4 more plumber outfits
:4wiifit::4wiifitm: 4 more female Wii Fit Trainers and 4 more male Wii Fit Trainers
:4yoshi: Orange Yoshi, White Yoshi
:4zelda: Toon Zelda outfit, Skyloft Zelda outfit

:4mii::4miif:
Advance Wars Orange Star Infantry Unit's helmet
Arthur's knight helmet (Capcom)
Blue Pikmin hood
Chun-Li's buns
Dig Dug's helmet
Ice Climber hood (blue for male Miis, pink for female Miis)
Inkling Boy's hair
Inkling Girl's hair
Inkling Squid mask
Jack's pumpkin head
Lip's hair
Klonoa's hat and ears
Mach Rider's helmet
Magikoopa hat and glasses
Mappy's mouse ears and police hat
Pokemon Trainer Red's hat from Brawl
Red Pikmin hood
Ryu's bandanna
Samurai Goroh's helmet and glasses
Takamaru's hair like in Nintendo Land
Team Rocket Jessie's hair
Team Rocket James's hair
Tingle's hood
Wild Gunman's sombrero
Yellow Pikmin hood
Zipper T Bunny mask

:4miibrawl:
Captain Falcon's outfit (since we already have his helmet)
Chun-Li's qipao
Little Mac's outfit
Pokemon Trainer Red's outfit from Brawl
Ryu's karate gi
Team Rocket black uniform (James's uniform for male Miis, Jessie's uniform for female Miis)
Team Rocket white uniform (ditto)
Urban Champion's outfit

:4miigun:
Advance Wars Orange Star Infantry Unit's uniform
Dig Dug's outfit with spear replacing gun
Inkling outfit (blue for male Miis, orange for female Miis)
Koopaling shell with scepter replacing gun
Mach Rider's outfit
Magikoopa robe with scepter replacing gun
Samus's Power Suit (since we already have her helmet)
Wild Gunman's poncho
Zero Suit Samus's outfit

:4miisword:
Arthur's knight armor with lance replacing sword (Capcom)
Chrom's outfit
Ice Climber parka with hammer replacing sword (blue for male Miis, pink for female Miis)
Jack's outfit with Halloween lollipop replacing sword
Lip's outfit with flower replacing sword
Mappy's police uniform with nightstick replacing sword
Samurai Goroh's outfit
Takamaru's outfit like in Nintendo Land
Tingle's outfit with paintbrush replacing sword
Zipper T Bunny costume with fishing rod replacing sword

Ivander

Smash Legend
If there will be new Alternates for non-Mii characters. Considering on the 3DS Smash Shop, it is "Mii Costumes" and not "Costumes".

For Mii Costumes, I'm thinking there will be at least one Fire Emblem-related costume for Swordfighter. Considering we got Protoman, X and Dunban, I'd like to think we might get a Chrom costume. If Ryu is indeed coming, I think there will also be at least one Street Fighter costume for Mii Brawlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom