• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
TO GOOGLE!

When a mod says drop it.

It means the conversation has become too inflammatory or too heated.

Just lay off for a bit.

That's all.

Just noticed this.

This isn't helping.
A bit is vague though, I don't want to bring it up again and get an infraction, but I don't want to never talk about it again either. I just want to understand your style so I can function in this thread

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A bit is vague though, I don't want to bring it up again and get an infraction, but I don't want to never talk about it again either. I just want to understand your style so I can function in this thread
Give it a few hours.

I dont see either game getting anything. The trophy was nice but they 2 games are, to my knowledge, much much less popular.

maybe its just because i dont see any AT dlc but even if there is other DLC it just seems very unlikely those 2 would get anything out of all the possible options.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I missed this. Why is this not allowed (besides the fact there is a thread for it already).
Because there was an argument that was basically being continued solely as fairly aggressive back-and-forth between two members and stifled any other conversation.

Basically, things got too hated between two people.

Oh good the thread isnt dead. I was worried after no one posted for half an hour that i sleighed everyone

Someone slap ki hades on this gif
Who are the Ice climbers? snicker, snicker
Accurate depiction of what it would be like if they were never on melee.

I wonder if they would have ANY popularity without being veterans. I know there would be some like how every character has fans but it would have to be much much smaller. . .

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Oh good the thread isnt dead. I was worried after no one posted for half an hour that i sleighed everyone

Someone slap ki hades on this gif
Technically it would be "slew" if you're referring to the act of killing somebody.

:3

Technically it would be "slew" if you're referring to the act of killing somebody.

:3

Oh hey things are getting HEATED again.

I couldnt make a pun off of slew.

i feel like the gif is ruder than i intend it to be so pretend its more snark less pissed.

Last edited:
I suppose i should sleep with my last post actually contributing. .. someone probably has said this already though.

sakurai must love classic dk. the 2 items from dk are from the arcade game and we have 75m. Plus kid icarus uprising makes a reference to the original arcade game. . . "It seems The chariot master has played donkey kong" as balls fall from the heavens as you jump over them climbing a tower

Yes i somehow brought uprising into this. :p

Edit i really thought someone would have posted. My bad.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I suppose i should sleep with my last post actually contributing. .. someone probably has said this already though.

sakurai must love classic dk. the 2 items from dk are from the arcade game and we have 75m. Plus kid icarus uprising makes a reference to the original arcade game. . . "It seems The chariot master has played donkey kong" as balls fall from the heavens as you jump over them climbing a tower

Yes i somehow brought uprising into this. :p
Hasn't Sakurai mentioned a number of times about arcade games or playing the original arcade version? I mean, didn't he mention playing the original Punch Out! for Arcade when he was talking about Little Mac? Also, in that topic about fighting games and characters, didn't he also mention doing a marathon on the Arcade version of a fighting game?(I think it was Street Fighter II, but correct me if I'm wrong.)

I could be mistaken about the above, but if not so, Sakurai seems to have quite some knowledge about Arcade games.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Another prediction list because I felt like it, in anticipation of the Splatoon Direct:

I must be the only one doing prediction lists now. :p
Namely because "Prediction" has fallen more to "Here's who I want" because of the ballot.

I expect Bi-Monthly releases of DLC chosen before the ballot was introduced: :4mewtwo:April, :4lucas:June, Ryu - August, :roypm: September, :wolf: November.

After that, we may get 3-5 characters from the ballot that will take a fair chunk of 2016.

King K. Rool, Inklings, Isaac, Bandana Dee, and Dixie Kong are the "Big 5" newcomers from the Ballot, IMO. Though I'd love to see Ganon as that 5th.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Not all of my choices are influenced by the ballot. :p
Your listing having characters like Young Link, Ice Climbers, and Bayonetta on that list instead of those who are thriving off the ballot's open door such as Bandana Dee, Isaac, and even Captain Toad who I believe was on some of your earlier lists is quite the indication of this.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I still have problems with adding Bandanna Dee and Isaac with their flaws with their inclusion, at least K. Rool is there. I'll think about Captain Toad, but I think he's still in the same position as Bandanna Dee right now in terms of significance to their respective series.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If I was in charge of roster-picking, goodness knows I would have people baying for my blood for including two more Fire Emblem characters.

At least I'm content with Kid Icarus. ;3

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Your listing having characters like Young Link, Ice Climbers, and Bayonetta on that list instead of those who are thriving off the ballot's open door such as Bandana Dee, Isaac, and even Captain Toad who I believe was on some of your earlier lists is quite the indication of this.
I feel like all the verterans have a decent chance because Japan, as a whole, is pretty supportive of them and they would be hella easy to make comparatively

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I feel like all the verterans have a decent chance because Japan, as a whole, is pretty supportive of them and they would be hella easy to make comparatively
Not really. Yes, there is no need to think of moveset, but Sakurai creates those quickly. And yes, no need for new SFX or at least voice, but that doesn't takes much effort. You can't just port Brawl animations since SSB4 models have different proportions and more bones and those animations will just have overall lower quality. Model has to be made from scratch as well and porting it from other games is not an option. Coding has to be done from scratch too.
The only real advantage they have is that you can be sure that everyone will like them if they were liked before instead of being something hated or whatever. No real risk taken.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Not really. Yes, there is no need to think of moveset, but Sakurai creates those quickly. And yes, no need for new SFX or at least voice, but that doesn't takes much effort. You can't just port Brawl animations since SSB4 models have different proportions and more bones and those animations will just have overall lower quality. Model has to be made from scratch as well and porting it from other games is not an option. Coding has to be done from scratch too.
The only real advantage they have is that you can be sure that everyone will like them if they were liked before instead of being something hated or whatever. No real risk taken.
I think it's possible to using existing assets, I could be wrong though. That said, even PM has done Mewtwo/Roy in less time than it takes them to make a new unique character. Veterans are easier I I believe. It may be different for those who missed a generation though, namely Pichu and Young Link

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I think it's possible to using existing assets, I could be wrong though. That said, even PM has done Mewtwo/Roy in less time than it takes them to make a new unique character. Veterans are easier I I believe. It may be different for those who missed a generation though, namely Pichu and Young Link
I really doubt it. Animations can be more-or-less reused, but they will still have to be improved and edited to fit the new model.
Let me remind you that it took a lot of time for Sakurai and co. to make Mewtwo. You know, the guys with professional modelers and animators that have been doing this kind of thing for a while. Still don't know why, but it took a while. I doubt its because they were making balancing changes to other characters since its not that hard and there aren't many of them.
And making completly new Wii model is different from making a completly new WiiU model. There are more bones (unless character is very simple), a lot more details, etc. And all of it has to look perfect or at least very good (unless its Ganondorf because then f*** his face and expressions, lets make him derpy and clay-like, with a "HNNNG" expression being on him most of the time). I never made either model, but its safe to assume when WiiU models have higher quality than Wii models.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I really doubt it. Animations can be more-or-less reused, but they will still have to be improved and edited to fit the new model.
Let me remind you that it took a lot of time for Sakurai and co. to make Mewtwo. You know, the guys with professional modelers and animators that have been doing this kind of thing for a while. Still don't know why, but it took a while. I doubt its because they were making balancing changes to other characters since its not that hard and there aren't many of them.
And making completly new Wii model is different from making a completly new WiiU model. There are more bones (unless character is very simple), a lot more details, etc. And all of it has to look perfect or at least very good (unless its Ganondorf because then f*** his face and expressions, lets make him derpy and clay-like, with a "HNNNG" expression being on him most of the time). I never made either model, but its safe to assume when WiiU models have higher quality than Wii models.
Oh definitely, it'll take a while, but it's still quicker than from scratch characters. I just think it's possible, not likely. Japan has voted most of the vets fairly high, and Sakurai does weird stuff like not wanting to leave people out. If they brought back 80% of the vets, he may feel the need to throw in the last few

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Pichu tied with Roy and K.Rool apparently. The only one not on their, sadly, was Young Link
Wow, that is surprising. Though I guess they don't consider Pichu a joke character like most of us here do. (To them, "ohana" means family. Family means nobody gets left behind! :shiro:)
I would be fine with Pichu coming back actually. :p
So Young Link is the only unloved veteran. I guess that's cuz Toon Link is his spiritual successor.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Wow, that is surprising. Though I guess they don't consider Pichu a joke character like most of us here do. (To them, "ohana" means family. Family means nobody gets left behind! :shiro:)
I would be fine with Pichu coming back actually. :p
So Young Link is the only unloved veteran. I guess that's cuz Toon Link is his spiritual successor.
They do mention "Link with masks" but it was a negligible group :(

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Bandana Dee is important to the Kirby franchise.

The last Kirby games, specially Rainbow Curse, are proof of that, and obviously he will have more important roles in the future.
Seriously, stop with the "Bandana Dee is not important enough", that's false and we have characters that are considered "unimportant" in the roster anyways.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I actually would much prefer him, but he has even less of a chance :facepalm:
Not if someone actually votes for him on the Smash Ballot! Sakurai likes his wacky ideas.
Bandana Dee is important to the Kirby franchise.

The last Kirby games, specially Rainbow Curse, are proof of that, and obviously he will have more important roles in the future.
Seriously, stop with the "Bandana Dee is not important enough", that's false and we have characters that are considered "unimportant" in the roster anyways.
I don't even like him but I find it hilarious that Bayonetta or "new FE protagonist" would show up over him.

And by that I mean the Dee is a far better choice than both of them combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom