• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It's still a bigger role in influence than anything Tingle ever did. And I argue she's easily the most important character left to add outside of Ganon, who actually is already in. It's not that Ocarina of Time didn't matter at all, it's just not her most important role in the series. Why I would dissmiss Sheik because of this is that Skyward Sword's Impa > Sheik in terms of influence and role in the game. So yeah, couple that with more appearances in general, and seniority in the series and I think we know which Sheikah is truely the most important in the Zelda lore.
He said he was thinking of Ganon.
Ganon is in as Ganondorf, but Ganondorf here is a Captain Falcon semi-clone. Not something everyone wanted. While his disrespect stuff is glorious, its still not Ganondorf. So, its a great way to give them what they want without adding a random character or completly removing old moveset. If you will say that same character, but twice (just with different appearance and movesets) would be weird, then there are Sheik, ZSS and Dr.Mario.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'll admit I was always of the Pichu faithless, but I have recently found love and salvation in its soft, tiny arms. The sight of the tiny flashrat (which, let's be honest, looks kinda like a neon yellow tabby kitten) discharging electric voltage whilst squealing its own name is a heart-melting experience - truly sublime~

Definitely not because my partner supports Pichu and I want her to be happy.

I lie, that's like 90% of the reason.

But I do like Pichu.

On the subject of Impa, I think she's the most important character in the series after the Triforce (including Ganon and other offshoots as part of that paradigm), if only by default. I'd prefer Tingle, but I like Impa as well and the moveset concepts I've seen for her are really exciting. :3

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I don't feel like there's a point to a debate when you're justifying a character being included in Smash by what they're implied to do. :ohwell:
Tbh, I kinda forgot Ganon but there's no reason to argue against him, I mean, he's cool.
It's way easier to justify Impa against Tingle or Tetra (although she's cooooool)

Although I will say two versions of each character is not exactly the Zelda series needs.

Now talk about Beedle & Fishman Tag-Team:

Beedle and Fishman
B: Bait and Arrow
Beedle throws Bait, which the Fishman follows, and Beedle then shoots three arrows to the fish.
The bait throw, arrows and the floppy dodging of the Fishman all deal damage.

Occasionally, Beedle throws a Bomb that explodes.

Side B: Hyoi Pear
Beedle takes a Hyoi Pear from his Spoil Bag, and a Seagull swoops in, taking Fishman in his mouth, allowing him to attack from everywhere

Up B: Hot Air Bike-Loon
Beedle makes his Hot Air Balloon fly with his bike-mechanism.
Tapping B makes the balloon rise more.

Down B: Treasure Chart
Beedle looks at his treasure chart, but it flies away in a straight line.
When it hits an opponent, Fishman swipes on the chart with his brush until the opponent breaks loose.

The weirdest command grab ever.

Final Smash: Great Sea
Beedle and Fishman go in their boat when a gale comes that lifts them up and makes chaos on the stage.
"Byeeeee"

Or Niko:

B: Barrel
Niko hides in a barrel
Unlike Link, who handled the barrel just fine, Niko rolls around and damages opponents.

Side B: Rope Spin.
Niko tries to catch opponents with his rope, but instead catches himself and whirls in place to get the ropes off his body.
The rope deals damage while it twirls around.

Up B: Bomb Voyage
Niko tries to hold a bomb between his feet, but the bomb explodes, sending Niko up

Down B: Grappling Pole
Niko summons a pole and throws a grappling hook on it.
The rope that hangs down acts as a wall, as the lantern at the bottom deals fire damage.
Niko can use the pole to swing around, and when he jumps off, the rope will still swing around a bit.

Final Smash: Giant Octorok
Niko finally gains control of the Pirate Ship.
Too bad a giant Octorok comes to slam the ship around the stage.
Poor Niko is still in the ship...

I made a moveset for Beedle and Niko the flippin Pirate I feel awesome now.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Let me remind you that it took a lot of time for Sakurai and co. to make Mewtwo. You know, the guys with professional modelers and animators that have been doing this kind of thing for a while. Still don't know why, but it took a while.

Mewtwo had to be rebuild completely from scratch because they couldn't port over his data from Melee with the game being so old at this point. http://mynintendonews.com/2014/09/2...ash-bros-melee-is-difficult-due-to-aged-data/ ...and because he was absent in Brawl, development time for him was somewhat equivalent to the development of the newcomers.

That actually lines up with what the Project M dev team said when they were developing Mewtwo and Roy: they couldn't port their animations and files from Melee, so they had to recreate everything.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Tbh, I kinda forgot Ganon but there's no reason to argue against him, I mean, he's cool.
It's way easier to justify Impa against Tingle or Tetra (although she's cooooool)

Although I will say two versions of each character is not exactly the Zelda series needs.

Now talk about Beedle & Fishman Tag-Team:

Beedle and Fishman
B: Bait and Arrow
Beedle throws Bait, which the Fishman follows, and Beedle then shoots three arrows to the fish.
The bait throw, arrows and the floppy dodging of the Fishman all deal damage.

Occasionally, Beedle throws a Bomb that explodes.

Side B: Hyoi Pear
Beedle takes a Hyoi Pear from his Spoil Bag, and a Seagull swoops in, taking Fishman in his mouth, allowing him to attack from everywhere

Up B: Hot Air Bike-Loon
Beedle makes his Hot Air Balloon fly with his bike-mechanism.
Tapping B makes the balloon rise more.

Down B: Treasure Chart
Beedle looks at his treasure chart, but it flies away in a straight line.
When it hits an opponent, Fishman swipes on the chart with his brush until the opponent breaks loose.

The weirdest command grab ever.

Final Smash: Great Sea
Beedle and Fishman go in their boat when a gale comes that lifts them up and makes chaos on the stage.
"Byeeeee"

Or Niko:

B: Barrel
Niko hides in a barrel
Unlike Link, who handled the barrel just fine, Niko rolls around and damages opponents.

Side B: Rope Spin.
Niko tries to catch opponents with his rope, but instead catches himself and whirls in place to get the ropes off his body.
The rope deals damage while it twirls around.

Up B: Bomb Voyage
Niko tries to hold a bomb between his feet, but the bomb explodes, sending Niko up

Down B: Grappling Pole
Niko summons a pole and throws a grappling hook on it.
The rope that hangs down acts as a wall, as the lantern at the bottom deals fire damage.
Niko can use the pole to swing around, and when he jumps off, the rope will still swing around a bit.

Final Smash: Giant Octorok
Niko finally gains control of the Pirate Ship.
Too bad a giant Octorok comes to slam the ship around the stage.
Poor Niko is still in the ship...
...ok then...
And they can't have Giant Octorok as FS - Link probably is so hungry after all of the action and you know what he could eat...
Mewtwo had to be rebuild completely from scratch because they couldn't port over his data from Melee with the game being so old at this point. http://mynintendonews.com/2014/09/2...ash-bros-melee-is-difficult-due-to-aged-data/ ...and because he was absent in Brawl, development time for him was somewhat equivalent to the development of the newcomers.

That actually lines up with what the Project M dev team said when they were developing Mewtwo and Roy: they couldn't port their animations and files from Melee, so they had to recreate everything.
I meant that it took Sakurai and co. a lot more time than PMDT despite being professionals at it.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He said he was thinking of Ganon.
Ganon is in as Ganondorf, but Ganondorf here is a Captain Falcon semi-clone. Not something everyone wanted. While his disrespect stuff is glorious, its still not Ganondorf. So, its a great way to give them what they want without adding a random character or completly removing old moveset. If you will say that same character, but twice (just with different appearance and movesets) would be weird, then there are Sheik, ZSS and Dr.Mario.
Sheik and Dr.Mario could arguebly be different characters than Zelda and Mario, however, I see your point. Problem still with me lies Ganondorf's Final Smash. I would actually really like to see Ganon, and he'd be the only Zelda character I find acceptable to get in before Impa. And Ganon would indeed serve as a perfect sollution to fix the nasty Captain Ganondorf situation. But still... I'm personally not seeing it happen.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Sheik and Dr.Mario could arguebly be different characters than Zelda and Mario, however, I see your point. Problem still with me lies Ganondorf's Final Smash. I would actually really like to see Ganon, and he'd be the only Zelda character I find acceptable to get in before Impa. And Ganon would indeed serve as a perfect sollution to fix the nasty Captain Ganondorf situation. But still... I'm personally not seeing it happen.
I don't think Ganondorf's Final Smash is an issue, honestly: Zelda and Sheik can coexist, as can Mario and Doc. It's a totally different form of Ganon. The two look and act nothing alike.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I don't see it happening, but it is a good way out of the Falcondork situation. Ganon used for Ganondorf's FS is different enough from normal Ganon (its a ridicolously top-heavy boar-lion monster while other Ganons are bipedal humanoid pigs from hell in armor and with a weapon) to have them both existing.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Diddy, we've been over this.

The Final Smash is "Beast Ganon." It even specifies as one specific version of Ganon.

"For Ganondorf's Final Smash, he morphs into a beast and attacks." - WiiU Trophy Description. This limits any confusion to the Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess incarnations of Ganon, leaving the original WizPig unmentioned and in no way inhibited.

Edit: Even in the Palutena's Guidance for ThunderCougarFalcondorf, we have a quote that omits the threat of Beast Ganon affecting the appearance of the classic villain. "One thing you should know, Pit, is that there are many different Ganons." - Viridi

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy, we've been over this.

The Final Smash is "Beast Ganon." It even specifies as one specific version of Ganon.

"For Ganondorf's Final Smash, he morphs into a beast and attacks." - WiiU Trophy Description. This limits any confusion to the Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess incarnations of Ganon, leaving the original WizPig unmentioned and in no way inhibited.
Wizpig you said? I got some experience with that...

I COULDN'T HELP IT!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As I said, the ORIGINAL WizPig. Someone who will just straight up slaughter people instead of turning them into frogs.
Hey not fair, Ganon turned Link into a pink bunny basically in A Link to the Past remember. ;)

Burruni

Smash Hero
Hey not fair, Ganon turned Link into a pink bunny basically in A Link to the Past remember. ;)

No. Ganon didn't do that. It was a curse that periodically happened when Link was attacked by denizens of the Dark World, which is what was left of the Sacred Realm after Ganon was done with it. ;)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

That was the Dark World's effects on...everything. Either that or he got high.

inb4 unfunny drug joke getting called out/on/whatever.
No. Ganon didn't do that. It was a curse that periodically happened when Link was attacked by denizens of the Dark World, which is what was left of the Sacred Realm after Ganon was done with it. ;)
It mostly was effect of the Dark World rather than that. Moon Pearl prevents it from happening unless Link is cursed or something like that.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, even though it wasn't directly his fault, indirectly he was responsible for it to happen. My point still standddddddddsssssssssssssss. :shades: I know I can be immature at times, let me

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So, even though it wasn't directly his fault, indirectly he was responsible for it to happen. My point still standddddddddsssssssssssssss. :shades: I know I can be immature at times, let me
Triforce is responsible for that.
...and Triforce is 3 triangles...which form 1 big triangle...
...hm...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thats not taking anything away from him and not adding anything new either.
That wasn't the point, but whatever.

Sorry for words used, couldn't resist.
Basically, if opponent sucks, he just gets that noob reckt without telling him to git gud. If opponent is gud, he puts effort into the fight. Most of characters in SSB are worth putting effort into the fight (and unfortunately, outside of PM, he still doesn't puts effort).
Also not the point being made.

The point was that Mewtwo even in the anime wasn't portrayed as a "fly around and fight" fighter. He was a "stay in place and keep the opponent at bay" fighter.
That only changed because Mew
a) Couldn't be hit from a distance because it'd dodge the Shadow Balls (and mock Mewtwo for it).
b) Is equal in terms of psychic power to where trying to constrain Mew with them would be useless.
c) Mew (initially) wasn't interested in fighting, so Mewtwo had nothing to shield against or reflect back at Mew.

Literally, Mewtwo had to bring the fight to Mew and get in close enough to hit with Shadow Ball (at which point, Mew got serious, fired one back when Mewtwo wasn't expecting it, and then the two would fight in the psychic energy bubbles).

He doesn't looks any more top-heavy than your average male human. His bust is only slightly wider than his pelvis (should it be called "hips" if i count both pelvis and legs?) and both are a lot wider than his waist (...i dunno why he has such thin waist...). His arms are long, but thats the only thing different from a normal man's proportions. That and his thin waist.
Shorter legs and longer beefier arms than previous designs = more top-heavy than before.
The only thing that kind of keeps it from going overboard is the fact he's got thunder thighs like Chun-Li.

And they would certainly be lighter than normal dragons.
There is no "normal" dragon. Just like you can't point at a T. Rex and say it's a "normal" dinosaur while saying any other kind of dinosaur isn't.
But yes, wyverns would be lighter than wyrms by default.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Also not the point being made.

The point was that Mewtwo even in the anime wasn't portrayed as a "fly around and fight" fighter. He was a "stay in place and keep the opponent at bay" fighter.
That only changed because Mew
a) Couldn't be hit from a distance because it'd dodge the Shadow Balls (and mock Mewtwo for it).
b) Is equal in terms of psychic power to where trying to constrain Mew with them would be useless.
c) Mew (initially) wasn't interested in fighting, so Mewtwo had nothing to shield against or reflect back at Mew.

Literally, Mewtwo had to bring the fight to Mew and get in close enough to hit with Shadow Ball (at which point, Mew got serious, fired one back when Mewtwo wasn't expecting it, and then the two would fight in the psychic energy bubbles).
Thats when his opponent wasn't worth doing that. Mew was pretty much equal in power and could at least hit him, so, he got serious.
He certainly wouldn't limit himself when he gets boots to the face from a large warlock, dropkicked in the back by a giant dragon turtle and Falcon Punched by a racer dude all within 10 seconds.
Shorter legs and longer beefier arms than previous designs = more top-heavy than before.
The only thing that kind of keeps it from going overboard is the fact he's got thunder thighs like Chun-Li.
Makes sense for such creature.
There is no "normal" dragon. Just like you can't point at a T. Rex and say it's a "normal" dinosaur while saying any other kind of dinosaur isn't.
But yes, wyverns would be lighter than wyrms by default.
"Common" would fit better then...i guess.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
The Miis did get a Link costume, but that was after the game came out with Link already being in the game. This could be the extant of what Sakurai wants to do with the Inklings, but it's hard to tell at this point. No need to jump to any conclusions yet.

Burruni

Smash Hero
While I admit that could be a possibility, here's the thing: I don't want Inklings in as Splatoon lost me. Twice.
Perfectly fine. I nor anyone else should ask you to WANT them. There's plenty of characters in that certain people don't want.
The fact is the Mii costume doesn't deconfirm them.

Edit:
The Miis did get a Link costume, but that was after the game came out with Link already being in the game. This could be the extant of what Sakurai wants to do with the Inklings, but it's hard to tell at this point. No need to jump to any conclusions yet.
Yes, but the Meta Knight and Samus outfits on disc didn't stop Meta Knight or Samus.

I'm just defending that this is not a deconfirmation.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Yes, but the Meta Knight and Samus outfits on disc didn't stop Meta Knight or Samus.

Nothing is impossible, say do you think we will get street fighter costumes at E3?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
So with the recent news of Nintendo working with Universal Studios on theme park attractions....Woody Woodpecker for Smash?

He's sort of a mascot for Universal theme parks, after all. Buy his exclusive amiibo at the Universal Studio Store and unlock him in Smash.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm baffled that people are looking at the "newbie" Inklings and comparing them to Link, Samus, and Meta Knight.

"Guys, these long standing icons have costumes so surely these characters that have never been in Smash are the same."

Like there's some chance that Link or Samus will ever get removed from Smash, come on.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Perfectly fine. I nor anyone else should ask you to WANT them. There's plenty of characters in that certain people don't want.
The fact is the Mii costume doesn't deconfirm them.

Edit:

Those weren't full blown outfits though.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Would be a Falco clone do not want /s
You spelled CAPTAIN FalcoN wrong.

Don't care for Inklings and i think its way too early for them to appear in SSB (their game still haven't came out for them to be in a Nintendo All-Stars game among such iconic characters as Mario, Link, Pikachu, Samus, etc), but Mii costumes do not deconfirm them just like Mario having Wario's colors do not deconfirm Wario and examples of this kind. They don't confirm them either though.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This isn't a full deconfirmation, but I'd argue: Inklings most likely will not happen as DLC at this point. I figured everyone was jumping the gun anyway considering the game wasn't even out yet. There's still tons of great IP's to draw characters from. This acts as a decent enough promotion and honestly, if they WERE planning on Inklings to be fully playable, do you honestly think they'd announce MII COSTUMES?

Plus these are actually pretty damn good costumes, too; they look very close to actual Inklings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom