• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Not if someone actually votes for him on the Smash Ballot! Sakurai likes his wacky ideas.

I don't even like him but I find it hilarious that Bayonetta or "new FE protagonist" would show up over him.

And by that I mean the Dee is a far better choice than both of them combined.
I voted for him, and one is all it takes, you're right!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I actually would much prefer him, but he has even less of a chance :facepalm:
We still need players to be able to sleep at night. Can't have them meet a terrible fate, do we?
Wow, that is surprising. Though I guess they don't consider Pichu a joke character like most of us here do.
...wow...It is. And Pichu is objectively a joke character, so, maybe they just think he is adorable and all of that weird japanese stuff.
"Japan is weird" stereotypes? What are those? Can i eat them?

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
We still need players to be able to sleep at night. Can't have them meet a terrible fate, do we?

...wow...It is. And Pichu is objectively a joke character, so, maybe they just think he is adorable and all of that weird japanese stuff.
"Japan is weird" stereotypes? What are those? Can i eat them?
I think they just have an affinity for not cutting people, they like veterans simply for being veterans

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think they just have an affinity for not cutting people, they like veterans simply for being veterans
This is it.

Japan loathes cuts in this franchise.

They want everyone back.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Probably so. I don't get it when it comes to clones that are inferiour to original in every way (Pichu and it was intentional and is accurate to the source since, well, Pichu evolves into Pikachu) though.

Another thing that surprises me is that Ridley is 3rd on the list (if we won't count veterans because even K.Rool is below all of them except for Ivysaur and Squirtle). After Sakurai's statement.
Does not compute.
If any cut veteran should return, Wolf should have been the first IMO, I'm sure everyone and their mother would freak out if he isn't revealed at E3
I agree, especially when that Star Fox game is in development. That puts him above others (i mean veterans remaining) already since SSB4 loves advertising stuff like this.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'd love to see Wolf and the Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer, forever forgotten.

But the only character that I need back is Snake. With or without Kojima.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
If any cut veteran should return, Wolf should have been the first IMO, I'm sure everyone and their mother would freak out if he isn't revealed at E3
considering that (for now) Star Fox U is potentially the only Nintendo big title for 2015, they will need extra help with marketing;.. So, Wolf is a safe bet for this E3. (if not at E3, he'll be added in the roster anyway)
We got 3 (5, if you count each Mii) characters last E3, we'll get 3 this year too.

EDIT: and I don't expect any word on the Ballot results until a Direct in November.. And then, I guess we will need to wait until next year to get the winner(s).

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Young Link is a thing? Why? No really, why? I mean I could see if he had access to the masks from Majora's Mask and could transform, but yeah he doesn't, so I don't get it. Forgive me if this is considered rude but I don't understand the desire for that character.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Young Link is a thing? Why? No really, why? I mean I could see if he had access to the masks from Majora's Mask and could transform, but yeah he doesn't, so I don't get it. Forgive me if this is considered rude but I don't understand the desire for that character.
Young Link would seem redundant when Toon Link can do what he does. Pichu would be stupid at any cost.

Only vets that deserves the return are Wolf, ICs, Roy and maybe Snake

Pakky

Smash Hero
Young Link would seem redundant when Toon Link can do what he does. Pichu would be stupid at any cost.

Only vets that deserves the return are Wolf, ICs, Roy and maybe Snake
I agree, I just can't understand why anyone would want Young Link , unless he was nothing like Toon or regular Link. Even then I would rather have Impa or Toon Ganon, but that's me.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I agree, I just can't understand why anyone would want Young Link , unless he was nothing like Toon or regular Link. Even then I would rather have Impa or Toon Ganon, but that's me.
Toon Ganon is exactly same as normal Ganondorf though. Just different artstyle. Toon Link is a different Link from TP Link. But we have Dr.Mario, so, whatever.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Toon Ganon is exactly same as normal Ganondorf though. Just different artstyle. Toon Link is a different Link from TP Link. But we have Dr.Mario, so, whatever.
No,Toon Ganon would use his twin blades which makes him a world apart from normal Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No, the idea is that Toon Ganon is unique because he uses the dual swords from his final battle.

Though I can think of another Zelda villain that uses two swords that would be a better choice...

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
No,Toon Ganon would use his twin blades which makes him a world apart from normal Ganondorf.
I meant character himself.
No, the idea is that Toon Ganon is unique because he uses the dual swords from his final battle.

Though I can think of another Zelda villain that uses two swords that would be a better choice...
The character himself still remains the same though. But we have Dr.Mario, so, doesn't matters. Just pointed out.
Now see, I knew if I didn't remember the non-Ghirahim villain I was thinking of someone would response in this exact way. :laugh:
But no. It is Ghirahim. Ghirahim is love.
But Ghirahim invaded Link's personal space, so, he can't be allowed to be anywhere near him (by anywhere near him, i mean around 100 miles). So, no. Its illegal.
/s.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel like their trophies are all they're going to see, MAYBE an assist trophy.

Of the three Operation Rainfall games, it's by no small margin that Xenoblade Chronicles was the more popular and sucessful title. Unlike the "star child" of the family, we haven't heard a word for TLS or PT getting a sequel, re-release, or anything.
Pandora's Tower was recently released on the Wii U's eShop worldwide...except in North America. I doubt it means much, though.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Zelda's been in a weird place in terms of characters for a while now. Ever since Melee, we have only ever gotten to play as different versions of Link and Zelda, as well as a scrapped F-Zero X character that was the original design for Black Shadow before the Ocarina of Time dev team decided to use that design for Ganondorf.

The other weird thing is that the unique movesets from the Zelda characters are Link, Zelda, and Sheik. The other half of the playable Zelda cast have been clones in one way or another.

I was also frankly surprised that we didn't get any new Zelda characters this time. It's a shame, as much as I like Link, Zelda, and not-Black Shadow, I'd really just like a Zelda newcomer that isn't one of those three.

If we're picking from characters that are not just popular with Zelda fans but at least video game fans in general, I think Skull Kid, Ghirahim, and Ganon have some of the biggest shots. Impa and Tingle MIGHT, but I dunno about them, given how consistently minor the former has been and how a whole country seems to dislike the latter. I like Impa, so it saddens me--maybe if Hyrule Warriors fans like her enough she could have a chance.

Skull Kid is minor in the grand scheme of things but he's still the most well-known character aside from Link in one of the most well-known and talked-about Zelda games of all time, Majora's Mask. Unfortunately, like Ghirahim, being an assist trophy in this game could hurt his chances. Lots of people might have seen the two of them and been like "Hey, they're here! Cool!" and have whatever desire for playable status for either of them fizzle out then and there.

I think, if any Zelda newcomer has a chance, it's gonna be someone like Skull Kid and Ghirahim (a memorable and significant character from a very memorable Zelda game--if not those two then a future character like them) or Ganon. We have had 3 versions of Link and 2 versions of Zelda, so Sakurai or someone else from Nintendo might include another form of Ganondorf, that being his Pig form. Unfortunately not even the King of Evil is spared from the "I dunno, maybe one day, I guess? Probably not through..." status.

Like with Skull Kid and Ghirahim, some people might be content with Ganondorf simply being playable and don't want another form. However this is at least offset by quite a few people's observation (they aren't necessarily Zelda fans--most video game players can tell this even without playing the Zelda games) that Ganondorf playing like an evil Captain Falcon doesn't seem quite right for him, and if another, more faithful form was available to play as, they might enjoy him enough to not mind the fact that there's two Ganons in the game. Still, there's ANOTHER obstacle for Pig Ganon to overcome--the form hasn't been in a new Zelda game that's been exceptionally popular. Pig Ganon is mostly known for the older games like A Link to the Past, and to a lesser extent Ocarina of Time (his human form was more popular there), so he'd be seen as a retro addition that isn't from NES and before, which Sakurai doesn't seem to enjoy that much. A Link Between Worlds doesn't really count, either, as he was just brought back so Yuga could possess him--he barely had any screentime. Sakurai and the Smash team like including characters that have been in video game players' consciousness around the time the Smash games are released, so Pig Ganon needs to be the main villain in a new Zelda game that's exceptionally popular for him to happen.

Disregarding ALL OF THAT, if any of those characters I listed were popular enough on the ballot, they might have a chance, too, lol. I was mostly talking as if we were debating the next possible Smash game (too soon, I know, heh).

Anyway, I hope this was an interesting enough set observations for this thread, haha. Carry on, fellow Smashers.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Zelda's been in a weird place in terms of characters for a while now. Ever since Melee, we have only ever gotten to play as different versions of Link and Zelda, as well as a scrapped F-Zero X character that was the original design for Black Shadow before the Ocarina of Time dev team decided to use that design for Ganondorf.

The other weird thing is that the unique movesets from the Zelda characters are Link, Zelda, and Sheik. The other half of the playable Zelda cast have been clones in one way or another.

I was also frankly surprised that we didn't get any new Zelda characters this time. It's a shame, as much as I like Link, Zelda, and not-Black Shadow, I'd really just like a Zelda newcomer that isn't one of those three.

If we're picking from characters that are not just popular with Zelda fans but at least video game fans in general, I think Skull Kid, Ghirahim, and Ganon have some of the biggest shots. Impa and Tingle MIGHT, but I dunno about them, given how consistently minor the former has been and how a whole country seems to dislike the latter. I like Impa, so it saddens me--maybe if Hyrule Warriors fans like her enough she could have a chance.

Skull Kid is minor in the grand scheme of things but he's still the most well-known character aside from Link in one of the most well-known and talked-about Zelda games of all time, Majora's Mask. Unfortunately, like Ghirahim, being an assist trophy in this game could hurt his chances. Lots of people might have seen the two of them and been like "Hey, they're here! Cool!" and have whatever desire for playable status for either of them fizzle out then and there.

I think, if any Zelda newcomer has a chance, it's gonna be someone like Skull Kid and Ghirahim (a memorable and significant character from a very memorable Zelda game--if not those two then a future character like them) or Ganon. We have had 3 versions of Link and 2 versions of Zelda, so Sakurai or someone else from Nintendo might include another form of Ganondorf, that being his Pig form. Unfortunately not even the King of Evil is spared from the "I dunno, maybe one day, I guess? Probably not through..." status.

Like with Skull Kid and Ghirahim, some people might be content with Ganondorf simply being playable and don't want another form. However this is at least offset by quite a few people's observation (they aren't necessarily Zelda fans--most video game players can tell this even without playing the Zelda games) that Ganondorf playing like an evil Captain Falcon doesn't seem quite right for him, and if another, more faithful form was available to play as, they might enjoy him enough to not mind the fact that there's two Ganons in the game. Still, there's ANOTHER obstacle for Pig Ganon to overcome--the form hasn't been in a new Zelda game that's been exceptionally popular. Pig Ganon is mostly known for the older games like A Link to the Past, and to a lesser extent Ocarina of Time (his human form was more popular there), so he'd be seen as a retro addition that isn't from NES and before, which Sakurai doesn't seem to enjoy that much. A Link Between Worlds doesn't really count, either, as he was just brought back so Yuga could possess him--he barely had any screentime. Sakurai and the Smash team like including characters that have been in video game players' consciousness around the time the Smash games are released, so Pig Ganon needs to be the main villain in a new Zelda game that's exceptionally popular for him to happen.

Disregarding ALL OF THAT, if any of those characters I listed were popular enough on the ballot, they might have a chance, too, lol. I was mostly talking as if we were debating the next possible Smash game (too soon, I know, heh).

Anyway, I hope this was an interesting enough set observations for this thread, haha. Carry on, fellow Smashers.
Keep in mind that LoZ is 4th most successful Nintendo franchises, with only Mario, Pokemon and Wii Sports above it. It certainly should get...forgot what was the word for it...So, its not that far-fetched. Probably won't happen in SSB4 though.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Here's my stance on Zelda newcomer "tiering"

Ganon - More reoccurring villain than Ganondorf. Unique weapon at this time (trident) and an arsenal of magic to be a heavy zoning character. Fills the pleas for a more magical and "true" Ganon(dorf) who actually uses his large weapon. Zelda Roster would become 2 Links, 2 Zeldas, 2 Ganons.

Impa - One of the more reocurring names in the Zelda series with a variety of bodies. Recently got the spike in "usefulness" and popularity via Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors.

Tingle - For Smash 5 instead of DLC this time around due to being an assist trophy. For reasons unknown, Japan actually loves the guy (enough for him to get 3 full spin-off titles..... somehow). Likely won't see promotion from an Assist Trophy because he doesn't play a real active role in the series.

Vaati - Third most present villain. Kinda all he has going for him. Probably a better Assist Trophy

Skull Kid/Midna/Ghirahim - Big characters in one "main series" Zelda game. Likely won't have that influence in a second title (Skull Kid because he was really just a host for Majora, Midna because she isn't an Imp anymore, and Ghirahim because he got shattered into many fabulous bits). Best kept as assist trophies.

Pretty Much Everyone Else - Far too minor in terms of impact and popularity.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Boxing Ring Titles:

Magolor:
Lord Starcutter
Intruder from another Deemension
The ultimate Marxist
The Crowned

And as for the best Zelda character:

Beedle and Fishman
B: Bait and Arrow

Beedle throws Bait, which the Fishman follows, and Beedle then shoots three arrows to the fish.
The bait throw, arrows and the floppy dodging of the Fishman all deal damage.

Occasionally, Beedle throws a Bomb that explodes.

Side B: Hyoi Pear
Beedle takes a Hyoi Pear from his Spoil Bag, and a Seagull swoops in, taking Fishman in his mouth, allowing him to attack from everywhere

Up B: Hot Air Bike-Loon
Beedle makes his Hot Air Balloon fly with his bike-mechanism.
Tapping B makes the balloon rise more.

Down B: Treasure Chart
Beedle looks at his treasure chart, but it flies away in a straight line.
When it hits an opponent, Fishman swipes on the chart with his brush until the opponent breaks loose.

The weirdest command grab ever.

Final Smash: Great Sea
Beedle and Fishman go in their boat when a gale comes that lifts them up and makes chaos on the stage.
"Byeeeee"

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa is still the best choice for a newcomer, come at me.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Doesn't matter.
Rosalina was only significant in the games that counted. (Galaxy and maybe 3D World)
Impa is significant in Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time, precisely the games represented in Smash 4.

Impa also has senority at her side, as she appears in the Original Zelda's manual.
So basically, Impa is there at the beginning and now and has had a good amount of appearances in between

Oh, and Impa is important to the Zelda lore as she's the "bodyguard" of Hylia and most of her bloodline.
Heck, even her name means "To impart"

And one last thing, there isn't a character more important to Zelda than Impa as the other candidates' importance is vastly overstated too.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
"Impa imparts in battle!"
Hey, slow down.
There are a lot of puns that overshadow the current one.
Thinking of these takes a lot of time.

Not by me. I know good and well none of them have a chance at this point.
Also, Impa isn't that significant in Ocarina of Time.
As if Mr. Majora Mapseller was such a plotbender.
It's a pretty big role as far as Zelda side character's roles go.

Only the main villain of the series in his far more iconic form that holds the final boss throne in more games.
Touché.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not by me. I know good and well none of them have a chance at this point.
Also, Impa isn't that significant in Ocarina of Time.
Doesn't matter much, it's not her most important role. Skyward Sword is. But it's a recent enough appearance to make it count for something, seeing as Impa has both throphies from Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time in Smash 4.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As if Mr. Majora Mapseller was such a plotbender.
Tingle?
I'm thinking more of Ganon.

Doesn't matter much, it's not her most important role. Skyward Sword is. But it's a recent enough appearance to make it count for something, seeing as Impa has both throphies from Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time in Smash 4.
If it doesn't matter much, then it seems hypocritical to dismiss other characters for being in only one canon game when only one of Impa's games matters.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Tingle?
I'm thinking more of Ganon.

If it doesn't matter much, then it seems hypocritical to dismiss other characters for being in only one canon game when only one of Impa's games matters.
Who decides that?
Impa was there in Ocarina of Time and had more to say than most of Zelda's NPC's.
And most of Impa's importance comes off-screen, where she's Zelda's nurse and Sheik's teacher.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Who decides that?
Impa was there in Ocarina of Time and had more to say than most of Zelda's NPC's.
And most of Impa's importance comes off-screen, where she's Zelda's nurse and Sheik's teacher.
I don't feel like there's a point to a debate when you're justifying a character being included in Smash by what they're implied to do. :ohwell:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's still a bigger role in influence than anything Tingle ever did. And I argue she's easily the most important character left to add outside of Ganon, who actually is already in. It's not that Ocarina of Time didn't matter at all, it's just not her most important role in the series. Why I would dissmiss Sheik because of this is that Skyward Sword's Impa > Sheik in terms of influence and role in the game. So yeah, couple that with more appearances in general, and seniority in the series and I think we know which Sheikah is truely the most important in the Zelda lore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom