• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I mean, if you really want "kiddy nightmares."

THIS FIGHT WHEN YOU'RE 4 IS THE MOST TERRIFYING THING.
I really got scared in this battle when I was a kid... but, you know, even before this, Yoshi's Island had Chain Chomp segments that haunted my dreams. ;-;

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

At first glance, you'd think could cause confusion between Mii Fighters and Inklings should they ever be included, but look at them.
First off, these are straight rips of the Splatoon model, and the "hair is simply a hat. Whereas Inklings would use a unique Smash model and their "hair" would be fully animated.
Second, their movesets would be unmistakenly, completely different. If Inklings have a moveset so similar to Mii Gunner so as to cause confusion between the two, then Inkling would have been wasted potential anyway.
Third, this is just one palette. Inklings would have eight.

My point is, it'd be really hard to mistaken this for an Inkling because the Inklings are so much more than just their character design.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Again, fully aware the possibility of Inkling DLC isn't confirmed nor denied, but I'm laughing my arse off. "We want to use Smash to advertise our new IP even further!" "I've got it, costumes! The DLC not too many people like!"
I'm like 99% sure many people bought Link, X, and Proto Man.

I think you're giving the Mii DLC less credit than it deserves :U

Burruni

Smash Hero

At first glance, you'd think could cause confusion between Mii Fighters and Inklings should they ever be included, but look at them.
First off, these are straight rips of the Splatoon model, and the "hair is simply a hat. Whereas Inklings would use a unique Smash model and their "hair" would be fully animated.
Second, their movesets would be unmistakenly, completely different. If Inklings have a moveset so similar to Mii Gunner so as to cause confusion between the two, then Inkling would have been wasted potential anyway.
And these are miis that were purposefully made to look at close to the Inklings as possible by Nintendo and even still the faces are hideous.
That's another factor.
Also, there's the theory that the playable Inkling would have the iconic metalic "headphones" that they equip in the single player campaign to get commands from Colonel Cuttlefish.

Edit:

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So costumes were confirmed in the direct? Definitely not a dis-confirmation, but I personally believe that this may hurt their chances slightly.

Burruni

Smash Hero
So costumes were confirmed in the direct? Definitely not a dis-confirmation, but I personally believe that this may hurt their chances slightly.
Costumes were confirmed as a gamestop exclusive pre-order bonus for Splatoon at the very end of the trailer. Everything about these costumes is odd.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Costumes were confirmed as a gamestop exclusive pre-order bonus for Splatoon at the very end of the trailer. Everything about these costumes is odd.
... Wat.

I'm assuming that players will eventually be able to buy them? But that word exclusive...
Ah, mah head.:facepalm:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

My point is, it'd be really hard to mistaken this for an Inkling because the Inklings are so much more than just their character design.
The outfits look pretty close to the originals IMO, despite that though, this probably doesn't mean much given all the other characters you can dress your Mii up as.

That said, am betting on a stage rather than a character from Splatoon.

D

Deleted member

Yeah. So is Link. If anything, this proves that Inklings are on Nintendo's radar for the future of Smash.
I think they'll show up as playable characters eventually but as for Smash 4 DLC, I don't see them being pre-planned anymore. They could still happen as a ballot character but I think they would need to get close to King K. Rool or Isaac to be seriously considered.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Honestly, I just think those arn't the best made Miis. I could do better.
Like use a black moustache and move it up to connect the eyes. Also pick a different mouth, that one looks odd.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I think they'll show up as playable characters eventually but as for Smash 4 DLC, I don't see them being pre-planned anymore. They could still happen as a ballot character but I think they would need to get close to King K. Rool or Isaac to be seriously considered.
Trust me, I never saw them as pre-planned DLC. The optimists hoped that something at the tail end of the direct be "based on early numbers of the Super Smash Bros. Ballot, we may be seeing these squids inkvade other territories."

But they were and are very popular for their conditions and I still hold that they're top 5 newcomers for the ballot just off of pre-release hype. And the makers seem to be structuring the game's free expansions to pan it out over a long enough time to keep spirits high throughout.

Iwata's very words about the ballot were, "While we can not accommodate for every request, Masahiro Sakurai and the rest of our staff will take each request into consideration when developping aditional fighters."

The term is plural there. Nintendo has not made any clarifications about this, last that I was aware. Many people say that we could see 3-5 characters, likely over the course of 2016.

In that range, I feel that Inklings still have a significant change.

Edit: That said, King K. Rool is #1 most likely newcomer from character merit and krool fanbase.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thats when his opponent wasn't worth doing that. Mew was pretty much equal in power and could at least hit him, so, he got serious.
He certainly wouldn't limit himself when he gets boots to the face from a large warlock, dropkicked in the back by a giant dragon turtle and Falcon Punched by a racer dude all within 10 seconds.
You're not getting it; it's not that Mewtwo "got serious", it's that what he was doing wasn't effective. If the whole thing was "Mew is equal in power", why didn't he chase down Mew from the start instead of repeatedly throwing Shadow Balls from a great distance for Mew to dodge?

And your hypothetical situation doesn't make sense. Unless Mewtwo could know ahead of time that he was about to take a Wizard's Foot to the face, a dropkick by Bowser, and a Falcon Punch consecutively to the point he could do something about it, he's getting knocked the eff out.
Mewtwo in both the First Movie and in Mewtwo Returns is shown to be susceptible to surprise attacks. He could probably stop Ganondorf's attack, but would be open for Bowser and Captain Falcon to move in.
That's not a matter of "limiting himself"; that's a matter of his limit being reached.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You're not getting it; it's not that Mewtwo "got serious", it's that what he was doing wasn't effective. If the whole thing was "Mew is equal in power", why didn't he chase down Mew from the start instead of repeatedly throwing Shadow Balls from a great distance for Mew to dodge?
By getting serious, i meant dropping all of that useless stuff and going DBZ on Mew.
How would he know about that from the start? I doubt anyone outside of guys like Arceus knew that to anyhow tell him. And you aren't born knowing everything.
And your hypothetical situation doesn't make sense. Unless Mewtwo could know ahead of time that he was about to take a Wizard's Foot to the face, a dropkick by Bowser, and a Falcon Punch consecutively to the point he could do something about it, he's getting knocked the eff out.
Mewtwo in both the First Movie and in Mewtwo Returns is shown to be susceptible to surprise attacks. He could probably stop Ganondorf's attack, but would be open for Bowser and Captain Falcon to move in.
That's not a matter of "limiting himself"; that's a matter of his limit being reached.
Yeah and considering how light he is, it would stop on the boots already (still don't get it why he is so light despite being heavy in Pokemon games and him ensuring safe landing through levitation would only explain his low falling speed). Still, if he would know that opponent can give him face full of boots, disrespect and dark energy, a cracked spine or complete and utter annihilation through a punch, i doubt he would just slowly move around like he does since Melee (outside of wavedashing of course, which is exclusive to Melee anyway) even though that clearly puts him into danger of everything listed above.
After it was getting clear that Mew won't be that easy to beat, he didn't continued to do what he was doing since that clearly wasn't effective. When he found out that it could also attack him, he stopped fooling around and suddenly DBZ. Why wouldn't same happen against other characters in SSB, who can both dodge his attacks and attack him? All that would be required is stay out of their range all of the time. He at least has projectiles, unlike characters listed. That is within his limits.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think this is meeting fans halfway. As some people say, Splatoon is brand spanking new and to give them a full blown character rep right now would be kind of ridiculous. The Inklings are probably close to topping Nintendo's personal list for who they want to see in the next Smash anyways so it really isn't a priority right now. This is what has annoyed me about their enormous popularity in the Smash Ballot. They're dead ringers for Smash anyways and I think the ballot should be about characters who people genuinely miss, who wouldn't have much of a shot otherwise, or who people think unfairly missed the boat this time around. Inklings don't fall into any of these categories. They're great characters with a promising future but the number of people who think this a do or die situation for them is infuriating.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think this is meeting fans halfway. As some people say, Splatoon is brand spanking new and to give them a full blown character rep right now would be kind of ridiculous. The Inklings are probably close to topping Nintendo's personal list for who they want to see in the next Smash anyways so it really isn't a priority right now. This is what has annoyed me about their enormous popularity in the Smash Ballot. They're dead ringers for Smash anyways and I think the ballot should be about characters who people genuinely miss, who wouldn't have much of a shot otherwise, or who people think unfairly missed the boat this time around. Inklings don't fall into any of these categories. They're great characters with a promising future but the number of people who think this a do or die situation for them is infuriating.
Wonder Red.

*Wonder Salute* ;w;

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think worst case scenario is that they aren't really planned as Pre-Ballot DLC. However if they have a strong enough demand via the ballot, then I can see them being considered at least. As others have said around. We have Mii outfits of various other playable characters. We have pre-existing trophies of two DLC characters. And then there was the whole infamous Toon Link debacle.....

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
With new Nintendo IPs often being Feast or Famine, Inkling has been surfing off popularity since its reveal. The fact that its hype pre-launch has been valued enough to do the costumes speaks well enough about its popularity being recognized and supported by Nintendo.

Unless something goes horribly wrong in spite of what we have seen and played so far (and will do more of with that demo this weekend), it is clear that Splatoon by itself is going to do well and probably will get 1-3 titles between now and Smash 5 depending on ambitions of the staff and whatnot.

And... it's a bit of a weird and contradictory place with how Splatoon seems to be on the last few bits before the release: they're doing well enough to get recognized and hold some of the most innovation we've seen Nintendo take with an IP... probably since Pikmin in 2001. It's a matter of if that is cashed in now or later as they most likely will be a forerunner when the next game comes.

With tidbits like the headphones present in the 1P Campaign mode and all the customization, the Inklings could be made visually distinct from the "Miinklings" if Nintendo wanted/had to make Inklings playable via Ballot DLC.

Our remaining-cut veterans are an interesting matter when it comes to the ballot.

:younglinkmelee: really doesn't have ground to differentiate from :4tlink: and was one of two cuts not present in the Forbidden 7 in Brawl.
:pichumelee: is in a marginally better place than Young Link due to not having his own "Toon" placeholder.

:popo::icsmelee: are a technical issue that I don't think can be handled this time around without the sacrifice of who they are IN Smash... which partially defeats the purpose. Especially with Sakurai's words.

:snake: is a Konami crisis due to him getting in as a favor to Kojima.

:squirtle: and :ivysaur:are up in the air. :ivysaur: slightly more likely due to the "Swift Water Type" role being partially occupied to :4greninja:, however inconsequential that is.

:wolf: seems more like a case of "when" not "if" with how similar in circumstance he was/is to :lucas:. I expect him to be a pre-ballot DLC character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
May I ask why you hate that the game may be a success?

You seem awfully against Splatoon. Can you shed some light on why?
Oh no no no, it's not that I don't want Splatoon to be a success, I'm not interested and in all honesty dislike the Inkling design, maybe I'm salty that when Nintendo finally starts hyping a new IP, it's one that doesn't appeal to me unlike, say, W101, something I never heard of but want solely because Nintendo didn't advertise it. I just don't like it, especially with the stupid demo not being available for use

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I too think that Inklings are too recent to be considered for Sm4sh DLC, but I think they're guaranteed to appear in the next game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom