• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We like to make up rules when it comes to Smash in general.

Then we like to pretend like we never had ones that have since been broken.

Burruni

Smash Hero
You people really like to make up rules when it comes to DLC, huh?
People strive for order and rules by which they can act.

Since we're in such an engimatic point of DLC where we have a few "pre-ballot" fighters prepared like Lucas, Roy, and Ryu and then the ballot where Nintendo is allowing mass votes, we don't really have any official rules.

Thus we have to make our own.

We like to make up rules when it comes to Smash in general.

Then we like to pretend like we never had ones that have since been broken.
You mean like 3rd Party companies only getting one character?

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Surely you remember this?

:231:
Not saying that Inkling's chances are dead, because they definitely aren't, but those are both awful comparisons. Link/Metaknight/Samus/etc. are all well known Nintendo characters that are popular to a wide audience, and were already in the game pre-release. Inkling costumes are being put into Smash to promote a new game, something that many speculated the Inkling characters themselves would do.

Inklings could still get in via the ballot, especially if Splatoon does well, but the chances of them being added as pre-ballot DLC to promote Splatoon have dropped significantly. And some people seem to think that's the only thing they have going for them.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
All it needs to prove is characters can exist as both costumes and playable, that's enough to not write off the Inklings.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Inklings could still get in via the ballot, especially if Splatoon does well, but the chances of them being added as pre-ballot DLC to promote Splatoon have dropped significantly. And some people seem to think that's the only thing they have going for them.
Yes. "Some people." But most Inkling supporters, as I knew, expected to ride the popularity of the release to the Ballot.

We bring up the Link/Samus/Meta Knight comparison as a point of Mii Costumes and a fighter of the same character already existing, and in fact some people over-reacting to scream deconfirmation (in Meta Knight's Case).

Inklings have their hope through the Ballot. But there are detractors who say that the "Miinklings" are a deconfirmation for them, which is false.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Not saying that Inkling's chances are dead, because they definitely aren't, but those are both awful comparisons. Link/Metaknight/Samus/etc. are all well known Nintendo characters that are popular to a wide audience, and were already in the game pre-release. Inkling costumes are being put into Smash to promote a new game, something that many speculated the Inkling characters themselves would do.

My point was moreso that the costume was revealed before Meta Knight himself. Admittedly, the difference remains that Meta Knight was a vet, while Inklings are newcomers, but how big of a factor is it remains to be seen.

:231:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
All I know is, I support Assist Trophy characters for DLC.
No way this is going to stop me from pushing Inkling.

And I don't know why people keep saying they're too new. Promotional value or no, the Ballot will undoubtedly decide whether or not Inkling actually is included, and by the time that ballot ends their game will have been out for nearly half a year. And if they're chosen after the ballot ends they've been around for a year. That's WAY more than enough time to get used to themthem.

The only other factor to worry about is Spkatoon's success, and well...I just refuse to believe this game will do poorly. Splatoon is too conceptually excellent to go to waste.

EDIT: This was intended to be in their support thread, but oh well. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Yeah, while the costumes may mean that they're not getting in as pre-ballot characters, nothing says that they can't still do so via the ballot votes. If they have enough popularity and other such factors to catch Sakurai's eye, I doubt the Mii costumes are going to divert his attention from them.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Or third parties being included in the first place, sure.
I was trying to be a little tongue-in-cheek about how recently these rules we try to construct to keep things in some sense of organization can be shot to bits at a single discovery.

Try to set some logical boundaries for people to function in and occasionally everything will be just broken apart by that good ol Sakurai factor.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
The kneejerk reactions to the costumes were rather funny.
Just relax guys.

D

Deleted member

How would he know about that from the start? I doubt anyone outside of guys like Arceus knew that to anyhow tell him. And you aren't born knowing everything.
That Mew was his equal in strength or at least close to it?
One of the very first things that the scientists tell Mewtwo when he breaks out of the tube is that he was created from Mew's DNA and was made stronger. He even boasts this to Mew itself.

Or that Mew would dodge his attacks?
Well, I'll give the first two Shadow Balls, as the first one almost hit Mew (it hit the bouncy bubble Mew was playing on) and the second one was before Mew started to dodge. But once Mew first teleported away from the second Shadow Ball, there's no excuse for Mewtwo to pretty much blindly throw them where he thinks Mew is (yes, that's what he did; before he fires the third, he states "Over there...?" in the original Japanese film while the dub keeps him silent) instead of doing what he did later and fire it while closing the gap between them and give Mew no time to dodge it.

Yeah and considering how light he is, it would stop on the boots already (still don't get it why he is so light despite being heavy in Pokemon games and him ensuring safe landing through levitation would only explain his low falling speed).
Mewtwo is in a constant state of levitation in Smash, which pretty makes the concept of "weight" to be pointless (weight is the force of gravity exerted on an object; levitation defies gravity).
And then there's the fact that "weight" in Smash doesn't even refer to actual weight, but instead knockback resistance. Mewtwo has less of that due to that aforementioned constant state of levitation. This is the exact same reason Rosalina is so light (though through anti-gravity, not telekinesis).

Still, if he would know that opponent can give him face full of boots, disrespect and dark energy, a cracked spine or complete and utter annihilation through a punch, i doubt he would just slowly move around like he does since Melee (outside of wavedashing of course, which is exclusive to Melee anyway) even though that clearly puts him into danger of everything listed above.
Mewtwo's a lot faster than in Melee.

After it was getting clear that Mew won't be that easy to beat, he didn't continued to do what he was doing since that clearly wasn't effective. When he found out that it could also attack him, he stopped fooling around and suddenly DBZ.
Response by sentence:
-Should have already been damn clear Mew would take effort to defeat.
-You literally restated a point I made before.
-Not only was Mewtwo aware Mew was capable of fighting back, he was questioning why it wouldn't (until it did). And stop bloody calling their fight "DBZ". It was nothing even remotely close to it.

Why wouldn't same happen against other characters in SSB, who can both dodge his attacks and attack him? All that would be required is stay out of their range all of the time. He at least has projectiles, unlike characters listed. That is within his limits.
Why? Because:
a. This isn't the damn anime.
b. Most characters would have a very hard time dodging and/or getting an actually decent hit in during an actual fight (i.e. not going by fighting game logic where anyone can manage to defeat anyone). Only scenarios like your proposed three on one fight would have any shot depending on who they are. Hell, in an actual fight scenario, only a select few could even permanently harm Ganondorf before he outright kills them due to the Triforce of Power. (Note, harm. That doesn't mean they couldn't send him flying off a battlefield if they had enough force)

Correction; they don't have projectiles in-game (except Bowser does WTF). Ganondorf has his own energy balls and Captain Falcon has the laser pistol he has holstered to his side.

At this point, the discussion is not even about Ridley anymore but going back and forth about Mewtwo (and I can only assume Ganondorf now). What point is there left in this?

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
While I can't say how these costumes affect the Inkling's chances (I think they could still be made DLC if demand is high), I do find it interesting how they were added as promotional costumes first. That may debunk the idea that DLC characters will be added just for the sake of promoting the latest thing; costumes may be used as substitutes.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
While I can't say how these costumes affect the Inkling's chances (I think they could still be made DLC if demand is high), I do find it interesting how they were added as promotional costumes first. That may debunk the idea that DLC characters will be added just for the sake of promoting the latest thing; costumes may be used as substitutes.
Good. DLC roster spots are limited and I hate the idea of a character solely because they're new.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'm sticking to my theory of DLC. Bi-Monthly "pre-ballot" fighter choices coming out.

:4mewtwo:April, :4lucas:June, Ryu - August (E3 Reveal), Roy - October, Wolf - December.

And with 2016, we get somewhere between 3-5 Ballot Characters.

King K. Rool, Isaac, Inklings, Bandana Dee, and Dixie being a semi-nebulous top 5 likely newcomers out of it.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Again, Splatoon was too new, as much as I hate to say it however, this won't affect their chances in the future smash titles
Being new has nothing to do with it. If that was the case there wouldn't even be smash costumes that reference them.
Greninja for example, though being from an established series, was nothing when it was chosen for smash.
but you blocked me so you won't even be able to read this......

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
My top characters are all the Veteran characters, Ryu, Rayman, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, Banjo/Kazooie, King K. Rool, Sceptile, Simon Belmont, Mona, and Isaac.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Can Banjo/Kazooie even be a thing? There seems to be a conflict of interest.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Really? I thought that guy at Microsoft said he'd love for Banjo/Kazooie to be in Smash.
He did, but business wise it seems like a foolish decision for Nintendo. Because they're basically giving free advertisement to the competition. It would be like Kratos appearing in smash.

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, the number of ballot votes does not directly correlate with a characters chances of getting into the game.
Nintendo said "to be taken into consideration."

So...In no way did Nintendo state who ever gets the most votes is in automatically. I think a lot of people tend to easily get carried away in this ballot ordeal. HOWEVER, I do think the amount of votes (character depending - third parties would definitely be harder) can influence who they consider to begin with. Just don't count on the number as the sole factor - the Big N can do whatever they want, really.

If you read Nintendo's privacy policy, you are able to really gather why Nintendo would do this in the first place - for consumer information. You essentially are telling them your demographic and why you like particular characters, which they can then use as they see fit. That is why this ballot is beneficial to Nintendo.

I think for the Splatoon Characters - the costumes end up more so harming their chances more so then help as:
  • Splatoon is a New Franchise
    • Could potentially under perform.
    • Those additional Resources on full character creation could be used for more "successful" characters.
  • Customization seems to be a stressed feature in Splatoon.
    • Having the Inklings in the game as Mii Characters, actually lends itself very well to that feature.

If the franchise hits high marks in sales and is well received, then yes, I can totally see them making it in game - and if not in this game, then definitely in the next.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Banjo&Kazooie would have been nice, but honestly I think their time has passed

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
That's like saying Mega Man's time passed when he was rumored to be in Smash 4.

Mighty No. 9 wasn't announced for Smash 4.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

Every time someone tries to say "A character is deconfirmed," it's usually wrong. Let us not forget this little fiasco.

Burruni

Smash Hero
That's like saying Mega Man's time passed when he was rumored to be in Smash 4.

Mighty No. 9 wasn't announced for Smash 4.
No, it isn't.

I mean that Banjo-Kazooie became a pipe-dream when they got bought out by a direct competator.

I didn't mean it in regards to Yooka-Layle. I'm talking about Banjo in Smash.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Can Banjo/Kazooie even be a thing? There seems to be a conflict of interest.
They're about as much of a conflict of interest as Snake was in Brawl, honestly. For Banjo and Kazooie's credit, 3 of their 5 Nintendo appearances (Diddy Kong Racing, BK, and Banjo Tooie) are widely regarded as Nintendo classics and are original games. Snake's only recent Nintendo games are merely remakes. I don't anyone really gives a damn that they're owned by Microsoft at this point. Seems like Rare and Microsoft are on board if Nintendo says yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom