• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sakurai is not willing to change Ganondorf's moveset even though many want it to happen. I doubt he will want to change IC's moveset that much, especially when this is the last thing everyone wants to happen outside of them getting removed.
Eh, in truth, they changed a lot of characters in this game. :4bowser::4charizard::4dedede::4dk::4falco::4link::4kirby::4metaknight::4lucario::4olimar::4pit::4sheik::4sonic::4yoshi::4zss: all got noticeable changes this time around so I don't wouldn't say it's impossible.

Burruni

Smash Hero
The buyout happened after Melee, though.
My bad. I was wrongly informed. I thought it happened before and that was why the Motion Sensor Bomb had its ties to Golden Eye 007 removed as a game and why, despite how big certain Rare games were for the N64 era, had no trophy whatsoever outside of DKC and Star Fox Adventures was a bit of a unique situation after the leave like Banjo Pilot and Grunty's Revenge.

Also getting online to 24 noticifcations. /Jesus/.

Edit:
Eh, in truth, they changed a lot of characters in this game. :4bowser::4charizard::4dedede::4dk::4falco::4link::4kirby::4metaknight::4lucario::4olimar::4pit::4sheik::4sonic::4yoshi::4zss: all got noticeable changes this time around so I don't wouldn't say it's impossible.
Besides Sonic's final smash getting changed to last for a shorter duration, how did he get changed? This is a bit of news for me. I'd consider :4zelda:'s down B change or :4wario2:'s changed Smash Attacks and Bike Physics more noticable.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Those changes were nothing compared to what will happen to IC (or what people want to be changed about Ganondorf). They all just got buffs, nerfs and new attack here and there. Charizard is the closest thing to that since he lost his pokemon swap gimmick along with the Pokemon Trainer, but not close enough. Another character with similar very important changes is PM Lucario (his main gimmick was completly changed and in no way resembles old gimmick and many of his attacks were replaced or now work in very different way like his Down B and aerial Side B), but he is not official.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Sakurai is not willing to change Ganondorf's moveset even though many want it to happen. I doubt he will want to change IC's moveset that much, especially when this is the last thing everyone wants to happen outside of them getting removed.
Dorf is fine the way he is, I just wish he wasn't as slow as he is now. He's the perfect foil to Link's weapon based combat and Zelda's magic based combat. They're pretty much fitting their Triforce status well

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What I'm saying is that I think they'll do something to work around it or come up with a solution. A lot of people have already mentioned SoPo or Nana only coming out for certain attacks. Also, yes, I'm well aware that their problem isn't a quick fix.
If they have to change them too much, it won't happen. Its simple, really. If Sakurai was willing to compromise their fighting style, they'd already be in the game.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I still think they're going to figure out something for the Ice Climbers, especially now that they're pretty much the only Melee veteran that hasn't been confirmed at this point. I don't count Young Link because of Toon Link and I don't count Pichu because Pikachu has some of the characteristics of Melee Pichu without the insufferable amounts of suck. As I noted in the Ice Climber thread, I kind of have a tin foil hat theory that they may be the reason why all the retro characters (ROB, Game and Watch, and Duck Hunt) haven't been announced yet (along with Falco to accommodate Wolf and Star Fox Wii U). Still, I think it would be mean spirited if they were the only ones that didn't find a way to come back.
As a major YLink fan, even I have to accept that he won't be able to get in the roster because of Toon Link having the spot of Link clone and his hypothetical MM moveset not working due to 3DS limitations. Unless they can think of a new moveset to get him in, he's probably not happening. Pichu I think can work in the game seeing as he's easy to make. The :shaker:from a lot of people would be surreal and it would be really something to see him/her return to the series.

But yeah, having :roypm::wolf::popo:and maybe just maybe :snake:back in the series would be extremely hype.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Dorf is fine the way he is, I just wish he wasn't as slow as he is now. He's the perfect foil to Link's weapon based combat and Zelda's magic based combat. They're pretty much fitting their Triforce status well
Not really. He doesn't even uses magic. Yes, there is darkness GFX on some of them and there is UTilt, but thats not exactly what many want. He doesn't even uses projectiles or anything related to Dead Man's Volley, a very iconic type of boss fights in LoZ that is usually associated with Ganon(dorf). The only thing that i am sure no one wants to go is all of the DISRESPECT stuff because...really? Who wants THAT to go? Ganoncide, Warlock Punch kills, Ganonboots, all of that is one of the reasons its so fun to play as him or even watch someone play as him. Ganondorf having a sword isn't really necessary and probably wouldn't be a good thing, but Ganondorf must at least be a warlock he is shown to be in every game. A warlock who learned the Art of Disrespect.
Project M handled him pretty well without completly changing his moveset. Still a semi-clone, but feels like Ganondorf. Just needs a projectile, but SSBB's character modding limits say nope. They did removed Warlock Punch, but he has a sword attack taunt, which is even better since it has more range and some super armor (doesn't lasts for too long though, but thats not a bad thing).

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also getting online to 24 noticifcations. /Jesus/.

Edit: Besides Sonic's final smash getting changed to last for a shorter duration, how did he get changed? This is a bit of news for me. I'd consider :4zelda:'s down B change or :4wario2:'s changed Smash Attacks and Bike Physics more noticable.
Ah, right, forgot about Zelda and Wario... Anyways, Sonic's dsmash is different this time around.

Those changes were nothing compared to what will happen to IC (or what people want to be changed about Ganondorf). They all just got buffs, nerfs and new attack here and there. Charizard is the closest thing to that since he lost his pokemon swap gimmick along with the Pokemon Trainer, but not close enough. Another character with similar very important changes is PM Lucario (his main gimmick was completly changed and in no way resembles old gimmick and many of his attacks were replaced or now work in very different way like his Down B and aerial Side B), but he is not official.
Some of these are small changes like :4dk: and :4link: while others have almost had their playstyles totally reworked. :4bowser::4dedede::4falco::4pit: :4sheik:are arguably the best examples of this, with new attacks or changes that have made them either play differently than previous installments or give them options they didn't have before. With a SoPo solution for the Ice Climbers, the only thing that would absolutely have to change is their belay recovery because everything else can be buffed or tweaked to make them competent with a solo climber. For example some people have suggested a condor summon similar to Olimar's pink pikmin recovery. For a Nana summon solution, the only attacks it seems necessary for is the belay, squall, and possibly the final smash so it wouldn't be a continuous strain on the game. All in all, it's doable but it's a matter of if they want to go that route.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Not really. He doesn't even uses magic. Yes, there is darkness GFX on some of them and there is UTilt, but thats not exactly what many want. He doesn't even uses projectiles or anything related to Dead Man's Volley, a very iconic type of boss fights in LoZ that is usually associated with Ganon(dorf). The only thing that i am sure no one wants to go is all of the DISRESPECT stuff because...really? Who wants THAT to go? Ganoncide, Warlock Punch kills, Ganonboots, all of that is one of the reasons its so fun to play as him or even watch someone play as him. Ganondorf having a sword isn't really necessary and probably wouldn't be a good thing, but Ganondorf must at least be a warlock he is shown to be in every game.
Project M handled him pretty well without completly changing his moveset. Still a semi-clone, but feels like Ganondorf. Just needs a projectile, but SSBB's character modding limits say nope. They did removed Warlock Punch, but he has a sword attack taunt, which is even better since it has more range and some super armor (doesn't lasts for too long though, but thats not a bad thing).
PM Ganondorf isn't my style but I love how his Warlock Punch is his F-Smash. To me just change his up-B. I love his Dark Fist Custom

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well...they didn't change Ganondorf at all. Even in this game...
Really, what I want is for Ganondorf to get
- A float like in PM
- A projectile that stuns, like Thoron,
- A run animation where he levitates
- Replace the rest of his Captain Falcon-esc. moves (which isn't many)
- A cape reflect like in PM

And then he's perfect, imo.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Ah, right, forgot about Zelda and Wario... Anyways, Sonic's dsmash is different this time around.

Some of these are small changes like :4dk: and :4link: while others have almost had their playstyles totally reworked. :4bowser::4dedede::4falco::4pit: :4sheik:are arguably the best examples of this, with new attacks or changes that have made them either play differently than previous installments or give them options they didn't have before. With a SoPo solution for the Ice Climbers, the only thing that would absolutely have to change is their belay recovery because everything else can be buffed or tweaked to make them competent with a solo climber. For example some people have suggested a condor summon similar to Olimar's pink pikmin recovery. For a Nana summon solution, the only attacks it seems necessary for is the belay, squall, and possibly the final smash so it wouldn't be a continuous strain on the game. All in all, it's doable but it's a matter of if they want to go that route.

I always believed that SoPo was a capable solution for the Ice Climbers. The argument was always "how much of their identity as a fighter would be lost to retain their identity as a character on the roster." :4ganondorf: and to a lesser extent :4wario2: being sore thumbs on the grounds that even when fans have asked for movesets to better reflect characters, their identities as fighters were not changed.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The thing with the Ice Climbers losing their duo mechanic is that it's their core mechanic. The other characters did get tweaks, new attacks and upgrades, but none of them I would say had their entire gimmick changed in the transition. Sheik is still a quick and nimble fighter like a ninja, Pit maintained his bow/sword battling style, Bowser is still a heavyweight, and so on. None of them completely lost what made their characters, they did get changes, but none that completely changed who they are. The SoPo idea is changing what the Ice Climbers are, a duo character that fights in conjunction with each other, and changing that means losing what made those characters themselves.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If they have to change them too much, it won't happen. Its simple, really. If Sakurai was willing to compromise their fighting style, they'd already be in the game.
See, that's the kicker. Something will likely have to give but consider this...

http://i.imgur.com/oOrpdMR.png

This was a Reddit poll done shortly after the 3DS version came out. The Ice Climbers were the second most wanted veteran to return and weren't too terribly far behind Mewtwo. Then there was the Reddit poll after the Smash Ballot was announced:

https://i.imgur.com/yR2ZPCq.png

Once again, in the top ten out of hundreds of character suggestions.

The point I'm trying to make is that they're popular enough and wanted enough to warrant DLC of them. People want them back and there's plenty of evidence that people will pay for them. Sakurai has already said that he wanted DLC to make fans happy so, in this situation, I think he'd put his personally feelings aside to put them back, even if it meant changing how the Ice Climbers played a bit. Onto changing the Ice Climbers, something that should be noted is that they'd already be changed by default anyways because real chain grabs have all but been removed in SSB4 so, like Dedede and Falco, their players will have to relearn them in a sense. Changing the Ice Climbers isn't as much of a throwing the baby out with the bath water situation as people imply because their core mechanic has pretty much been taken out already anyways.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

This was a Reddit poll done shortly after the 3DS version came out. The Ice Climbers were the second most wanted veteran to return and weren't too terribly far behind Mewtwo. Then there was the Reddit poll after the Smash Ballot was announced:

The point I'm trying to make is that they're popular enough and wanted enough to warrant DLC of them. People want them back and there's plenty of evidence that people will pay for them. Sakurai has already said that he wanted DLC to make fans happy so, in this situation, I think he'd put his personally feelings aside to put them back, even if it meant changing how the Ice Climbers played a bit. Onto changing the Ice Climbers, something that should be noted is that they'd already be changed by default anyways because real chain grabs have all but been removed in SSB4 so, like Dedede and Falco, their players will have to relearn them in a sense. Changing the Ice Climbers isn't as much of a throwing the baby out with the bath water situation as people imply because their core mechanic has pretty much been taken out already anyways.
Chain grabs wasn't their core mechanic. Like wobbling, its just an exploit of programming and physics. It just wasn't completly banned. And people want IC to come back, not Popo and/or Nana. Thats a huge difference. They (IC) obviously can't be done in SSB4 as Sakurai will keep his roster rule. Popo and/or Nana? No problems with that.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3

That Reddit poll...was rigged!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

But you also have to consider that most of those people probably want Ice Climbers AS THEY ARE. Ice Climbers were never a big thing for Nintendo. They were popular more for how they played, not who they were. If they bring back the Ice Climbers but completely change how they played, I'd say most of those fans would probably hate it. Honestly, I don't think many would argue "Ice Climbers no matter what it takes."

Ice Climbers were liked for the dual character gameplay mechanic being extremely viable in the metagame. When people vote for Ice Climbers, they're assuming Ice Climbers as they've played in past games.

I'm not denying that people want them back. But you're trying to make an invalid argument, because "SoPo" is something only being suggested by a small minority and it doesn't exist except in concept.

Plus, do recall that these lists say Ice ClimberS.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I have to agree with @ Fatmanonice Fatmanonice with regards to character changes, Pit is practically a different character in Smash 4. And Bowser really pumped some hard iron for this match.

As for Ganondorf, I would happily accept a totally new moveset, but all I really ask for is:

- Add a projectile to Warlock Punch (this isn't even necessary, it'd just be a nice touch)
- Replace Wizkick with a fist slam
- Change the animation of his kicking moves (except f-tilt and d-tilt) to punching moves, just for consistency's sake
- Change his running animation to something even slightly more intimidating

He's never going to be Hyrule Warriors 'Dorf, and I accept that. I'd actually prefer it if he wasn't, as the two games are totally different contexts and the movesets wouldn't necessarily translate very well from game to game. I play Ganondorf a lot, and I think he does feel very much like Ganondorf, he just doesn't look the part.

I feel the same about Wario: a few subtle tweaks here and there (shoulder bash for f-smash plz) and maybe a different down-special (or at least offer an alternative - I really dislike the fart, it could just be aesthetically altered and called Wario Blast; but I digress) and I'd be totally content.

Burruni

Smash Hero

Competitively, Icies relied heavily on chain grabs.

But to say their core mechanic has already been taken out, to any extent, is a stretch. Their mechanic as having a pair of characters that acted as one with Nna having her iconic AI and desynch from Popo's.

They're wanted. That isn't something anyone is trying to argue. I'D love to see them back. But that's it... I'd want to see Ice Climbers as we know them, not some reworked SoPo that would function more similar to :4duckhunt:(two characters, one "skeleton") or even how :rosalina:functions.

:4olimar: became a less micro-managed version of himself that didn't really affect his gameplay. I can't see that kind of change happening with just the identity that Icies had.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ever heard of sarcasm?
Except I couldn't tell it was a joke. Was it non clone characters? That can't be right
Everyone is a clone of everyone except for :4falcon::4dk::4fox::4kirby::4link::4mario::4ness::4samus:&:4yoshi:
Falcon, Fox, Kirby, Link, Mario and Samus are here. Is it supposed to be the original 12? That can't be right because Pikachu.

I mention Kirby as Jiggly was rather clonish in 64

Burruni

Smash Hero
You know who could take up Ganondorf's current moveset almost perfectly if they decide to give him a new one?

So you're going to make Wesker as slow as Falcondorf?

CHRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS what are you thinking?!

For that, I will not give you an egg.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
So you're going to make Wesker as slow as Falcondorf?
CHRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS what are you thinking?!
For that, I will not give you an egg.
I said the moveset. They would obvious make him faster.
Not too fast though, otherwise he would OP. Oh wait...Wesker already is in every game he's ever been in. O.O

Burruni

Smash Hero
His only weakness, RPG rockets, were in Snake's moves, so he'd be invincible
No. He'd be able to catch an RPG in his hands.

It's really teamwork that was the end of him. Two people being able to act seperately and do two actions to do it.

:popo::icsmelee: his only weakness.....

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You know who could take up Ganondorf's current moveset almost perfectly if they decide to give him a new one?

He will either get huge speed/attack power nerf that would be ridicolously inaccurate to any of his appearances in RE outside of RE1 or he will be OP, ensuring complete. Global. Saturation~

It's really teamwork that was the end of him. Two people being to act seperately and do two actions to do it.

So, Sakurai and co. doomed the world by cutting Snake? WHY?!
Yup, Black Shadow.

Why do you have a picture of Wesker there? :p
Yeah, this guy would work well...if F-Zero wouldn't have its...issues.
You know what? I want to ask people something. Let's pretend Galacta Knight would one day be playable and isn't a clone. How would you guys feel?
Waste. He looks too similar to Meta Knight and his attacks are just enhanced versions of MK's attacks, so, he can't be a unique character anyway unless he has same kind of stuff as Captain Falcon, ROB, etc., but in such case he will be nothing like what he is in Kirby games.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As someone who doesn't give a **** about the Resi franchise, I lelled. Especially because egg. Speaking of eggs, Shulk can counter Yoshi's eggs now
You don't like RE and Splatoon? Why don't you just take out my heart and step on it? :urg:
It's really teamwork that was the end of him. Two people being to act seperately and do two actions to do it.
Topical. Very topical. :laugh:
He will either get huge speed/attack power nerf that would be ridicolously inaccurate to any of his appearances in RE outside of RE1 or he will be OP, ensuring complete. Global. Saturation~
I'm gonna go with him being ridiculously OP.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You know what? I want to ask people something. Let's pretend Galacta Knight would one day be playable and isn't a clone. How would you guys feel?
There aren't any remaining Kirby characters who wouldn't make me go "meh" if they were playable.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Then prepare for teleport and gun spam. What? He doesn't have those because he uses very fast version of Ganondorf's moveset? He will find a way. Being a god tier gives you that.
It'd be like Masked Dedede not being a clone of :4dedede: the weirdest Eagle ever (Yes, he's an eagle. Not a penguin.)
Just give him AMONSTAH TO CLOBBAH DAT DERE KERBIH and he will be unique. What? Using actual source game for it? Bulls**t.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I don't really see how... when he's an upgraded form of Meta Knight canonically.

It'd be like Masked Dedede not being a clone of :4dedede: the weirdest Eagle ever (Yes, he's an eagle. Not a penguin.)

I'm actually interested in how someone'd make the two truly distinct.

There aren't many remaining Kirby characters who wouldn't make me go "meh" if they were playable.
You forgot your M, there, N3ON.

Because there's still Bandana Dee. :(

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

So, Sakurai and co. doomed the world by cutting Snake? WHY?!

Yeah, this guy would work well...if F-Zero wouldn't have its...issues.

Waste. He looks too similar to Meta Knight and his attacks are just enhanced versions of MK's attacks, so, he can't be a unique character anyway unless he has same kind of stuff as Captain Falcon, ROB, etc., but in such case he will be nothing like what he is in Kirby games.
Actually, Galacta Knight's fights show different moves, sword beam, flame pillars, lasers, sword beams, Mach Tornado projectile, shield blast, that's more than enough
You don't like RE and Splatoon? Why don't you just take out my heart and step on it? :urg:

Topical. Very topical. :laugh:

False, indifferent to Resi, I don't like Splatoon. I do like Ghirahim though

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Resident Evil 4 is the only RE game which should get anything, if it gets anything at all. :p

:231:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Resident Evil 4 is the only RE game which should get anything, if it gets anything at all. :p

:231:
Yeah, and make his entire moveset based on his knife. Because its so good in that game...as far as i know...Oh, and maybe a shotgun because headshots ftw.
When was the last time you fought him? Flame pillars were changed to more laser in the Wii game
Few years ago, in that DS game...i think...I only remember that it was done with Meta Knight and many of his attacks looked like MK's, but better.

Forgetting someone?
Oh, right, that zombie from the first game. Certainly an iconic character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom