• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Question : If Ryu is in Smash 4 it will be the second representative from Capcom in the game. Do you think it can confirm more representatives from SEGA and Namco Bandai also?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
All this Ryu talk has suddenly reminded me that I have the possibility of battling to some Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike tunes in the future. So good.

https://youtu.be/PQLrZoP9zj0

Question : If Ryu is in Smash 4 it will be the second representative from Capcom in the game. Do you think it can confirm more representatives from SEGA and Namco Bandai also?
No. It's just a character Sakurai possibly thought would be fun to include. I don't think this is going to open up some sort of arms race between other companies franchises, nor do I think they care that much.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Confirm? No. Open the possibility? Yes, but the likelihood of it actually happening is up in the air.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
All this Ryu talk has suddenly reminded me that I have the possibility of battling to some Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike tunes in the future. So good.

https://youtu.be/PQLrZoP9zj0

No. It's just a character Sakurai possibly thought would be fun to include. I don't think this is going to open up some sort of arms race between other companies franchises, nor do I think they care that much.
Jazzy NYC '99, Crazy Chilli Dog, The Longshoreman, You Blow my Mind, Q's Theme, China Vox and Spunky (All arranged soundtracks).

Pleeaassseee Sakurai? :D

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The only thing I want from Ryu's inclusion is Guile's Theme. It goes with everything, and it's about time it for it go with Smash Bros. :estatic:

:231:

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Grrreeeaaattt, Now that the Lyn thread is gone I get to post my Lyn support here and then get yelled at for trying to support an AT character

fffaannntastic!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Grrreeeaaattt, Now that the Lyn thread is gone I get to post my Lyn support here and then get yelled at for trying to support an AT character

fffaannntastic!
You have my sympathy. Maybe we'll get some evidence about ATs being eligible for DLC too... At least we have Project M. Other ATs don't even have that much.

:231:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Ryu makes sense because he also happens to be an extremely iconic and important character. He's probably more important to Capcom than even Mega Man at this point. I don't really think either SEGA or Namco have any other franchise that are notable/important to gaming as Street Fighter, Mega Man, Sonic The Hedgehog or Pac-Man.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Ryu makes sense because he also happens to be an extremely iconic and important character. He's probably more important to Capcom than even Mega Man at this point. I don't really think either SEGA or Namco have any other franchise that are notable/important as Street Fighter, Mega Man, Sonic The Hedgehog or Pac-Man.
Namco:Klonoa

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
To be honest, I think Ryu is totally unneeded for Smash Bros.

Its sort of like the joke I once heard about the Mii Fighters. Its just another step forward for Smash Bros to become an official MUGEN. And putting a Fighting game character into a crossover game thats not supposed to be about fighting game characters seems kinda redundant to me.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
To be honest, I think Ryu is totally unneeded for Smash Bros.

Its sort of like the joke I once heard about the Mii Fighters. Its just another step forward for Smash Bros to become an official MUGEN. And putting a Fighting game character into a crossover game thats not supposed to be about fighting game characters seems kinda redundant to me.
Why is the Lyn thread gone?
I don't like Ryu all that much either, but his inclusion would make a lot of my more wanted characters possible. So I guess if he is in :happysheep:. And if he is out :happysheep:.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Why is the Lyn thread gone?
I don't like Ryu all that much either, but his inclusion would make a lot of my more wanted characters possible. So I guess if he is in :happysheep:. And if he is out :happysheep:.
Because someone got jelly that other character threads were locked while the Lyn thread was not.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Funny how you can make a serious thread for Pidgey and not get locked but when supporting seriously popular AT's the mods are like LOL impossible locked 5ever.

I mean, can we just, I dunno: Open them?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Ryu makes sense because he also happens to be an extremely iconic and important character. He's probably more important to Capcom than even Mega Man at this point. I don't really think either SEGA or Namco have any other franchise that are notable/important as Street Fighter, Mega Man, Sonic The Hedgehog or Pac-Man.
There's Tekken, but it's weird because as iconic as the franchise is none of the main characters actually...are. The Mishimas always shared the main character spotlight throughout various games, and then there's Lars. The series doesn't really have a poster boy like Ryu. Heihachi is the closest but his roles vary greatly. (To almost being non existent in Tekken 5 aside from being playable due to legacy)
Namco:Klonoa
Not even close.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This site makes me laugh sometimes.

So, we're here talking about Ryu. Ryu is the main man of Street Fighter. Street Fighter is a famous and long tenured game that has seen success for a very long time. Ryu is a big name video game character, you can't really dispute that.

If Sakurai and Nintendo are going to approach a 3rd party company to use their character, they're not going to pay for some low ball character. They're going to get big name characters that a butt ton of people will recognize. This is, unfortunately for those who support them, where Indie characters and not as well known 3rd parties like Bayonetta and Professor Layton fall. They could get them, sure. But a large portion of people will react with a, "huh?" or , "Who's that?".

That doesn't mean the characters are bad. But it means that there's a big difference in 3rd party characters here. Certain characters just don't stack up. Trying to compare for example, Shovel Knight to Ryu is apples and oranges.

I believe that a big thing with 3rd Parties, that Sakurai has mentioned, is that basically, "3rd parties are interesting because they aren't Nintendo characters". If that's the case, then why is it that people want characters from other companies that are, "Nintendo"? It goes against what they're supposed to be. They're supposed to be taken as "a character from another company". That doesn't mean go super extreme and land Master Chief or Jak and Daxter. But, within the realm of possibility, 3rd parties should be gaming icons. Every 3rd party thus far has shown that. Ryu and Snake fit that just fine. Wasn't a great part about Snake in Smash that he brought parts of his universe with him? It was magical, and something gaming had never seen before. Now people want him to stay out because, "He's not Nintendo". Exactly. He's a character from another company that is super iconic and can add to the All-Star feel.

As far as Snake goes, I really want him back now more than ever. Not only would he add to the all-star 3rd party cast we have, but he would finish off veterans if Wolf comes back too. Obviously, we'd still be missing the 3 Pokemon and the Ice Climbers. But the Ice Climbers have technical hurdles to deal with, and adding 3 more Pokemon as DLC? Ew. As much as I like Pokemon, no thanks. The roster doesn't need 9 Pokemon on it.

But basically, my point is that 3rd Parties aren't meant to be completely affiliated with Nintendo. If Nintendo is going to get a character, they're going to go big or go home. They're not going to spend money on a contract for a character that hasn't made it big in gaming. The 3rd party cast so far shows that.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
^I agree with this. Having association with Nintendo is nice, but while Smash is meant to be a celebration of Nintendo's history, it can be more than that. It can be a celebration of video games in general, and that's why including famous icons like Ryu and Pac-Man is great. Snake is arguably the most "out of place" third party addition of them all...but he's still one of gaming's biggest stars, and I think that's what should matter sometimes.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

You're joking, right?

Klonoa is preeeeeetty far down the totem pole of Namco franchises.
It was the best I could think of at the time. I do agree though that Namco doesn't have a very good representative after Pac-Man. They do have Naruto and Goku who are very popular characters, but we all know why they shouldn't be in Smash. On the other hand, Konami has three good characters for Smash Snake, Bomberman, and Simon Belmont. More of the reason to get Konami back involved.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I actually would like Snake back to now that Ryu is coming back to. It seems only fair. :snake:

Snake would hype me more than any 3rd party character not named Banjo-Kazooie at this point, and this is despite me ever playing Metal Gear. Imagine his trailer already with the infamous line...

:snake:: 'Kept you waiting huh?'

That'd just be golden.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
:4mario: vs. :4sonic: vs. :4megaman: vs. :4pacman: vs.
QAbPr6g.png
vs.
vs.
would be an incredible matchup of video gaming characters.

How can people not poop themselves at the thought of that?

Last edited:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Give me Mario vs Mega Man vs Sonic vs Pac-Man vs Ryu vs Slime vs Professor Layton and MAYBE I'd illicit that reaction

Burruni

Smash Hero
Let's look at the 3 current Third Party characters in the game.

:4pacman:: Mr. Gaming. One of if not the very first true icon/mascot for a game that shook culture with what he started in arcades and has been making various games of varying quality since and remains as recognizable as say Mario or Santa.
:4sonic:: The origin of console wars, the advertising rival to Mario from NES-N64 and despite a history of very hit and miss titles still manages to control such a large fandom.
:4megaman:: http://fast1.onesite.com/capcom-uni...35392eb7f780286707827758a22bfffb.jpg?v=258750 A constant part of Nintendo that was one of the biggest stars of the NES and even into the SNES he could easily have been considered a bigger Nintendo star than :4marth::4wario2::4littlemac::4ness::4falcon:and even arguably :4samus:. As the "Core" megaman games kinda faded out besides rereleases, the sub-series (basically all BUT later X titles and Legends 2) kept true to Nintendo.

Then, looking to the veteran, :snake:. Honestly, despite being pretty much Sony-associated, it is pretty hard to argue that Metal Gear, specifically Solid redefined and revolutionized what a Stealth game was.

Similar to this, Ryu was both an Arcade and Nintendo icon with the "peak" of SF2 being the major changer for all of Fighting games and competitive multiplayer for gaming. His series has kinda been "first sony, THEN Nintendo" for consoles and SF5 seeming to be Sony-exclusive for a WHILE at the least. Honestly, he's probably more iconic to the general populous than Snake and even Megaman now. Off of those grounds, I have no qualms about the merit of Ryu/Street Fighter for Smash.

When you look at other properties of Bandi-Namco and Sega, there really aren't options on this level. For Sega, the only other big series are NiGHTs which has always been in the SIGNIFICANT shadow of Sonic in terms of support and Super Monkey Ball. Bandai-Namco, we have less significant fighters like Tekken and Soul Calibur in comparison to Street Fighter, the Tales of series of RPGs which, while popular, were never that groundbreaking nor on this level for a series, and beyond that... Xenosage and Klonoa?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Then, looking to the veteran, :snake:. Honestly, despite being pretty much Sony-associated, it is pretty hard to argue that Metal Gear, specifically Solid redefined and revolutionized what a Stealth game was.
I may be reading this wrong, but Metal Gear Solid IS Stealth. It's the pinnacle of stealth games. That's a big part of what it's known for.

Unless i'm reading it wrong of course. :psycho:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I may be reading this wrong, but Metal Gear Solid IS Stealth. It's the pinnacle of stealth games. That's a big part of what it's known for.

Unless i'm reading it wrong of course. :psycho:
I was agreeing. But it was the Solid games that really made the "leaps" that made the massive impact that people think of for the series both in gameplay and writing. Psycho Mantis's famous "I SEE YOU LIKE CASTLEVANIA!" moment, for example.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Because no Bomberman.
Bomberman never really seemed like that major of a character to me. He's just the mascot of a minor (and defunct) third party developer. Not to say he doesn't have good games or he wouldn't fit in Smash with an interesting moveset, but he's just kinda insignificant overall compared to the other third parties in Smash.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Metal Gear Solid was a revolutionary game not for defining the stealth genre for for laying the ground work for cinematic cutscenes and narrative in video games.. It's practically the foundation of today's modern AAA games.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
because it's only 7 players. make it 8 player smash and then people will "poop themselves"
1. Mega Man
2. Sonic The Hedgehog
3. Pac-Man
4. Solid Snake
5. Ryu
6. Slime
7. Professor Layton
8. Banjo-Kazooie

There you go.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Because someone got jelly that other character threads were locked while the Lyn thread was not.
Sucks, cause Manly's moveset for her was really awesome. Plus Lyn's thread was a whole lot better than threads as Waluigi's or Tingle's anyway.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The only third-party as iconic and Mega Man or Sonic with ties as close as they have to Nintendo is Bomberman.

THESE ARE THE FACTS. THE SUBJECTIVE FACTS.

Bomberman never really seemed like that major of a character to me. He's just the mascot of a minor (and defunct) third party developer. Not to say he doesn't have good games or he wouldn't fit in Smash with an interesting moveset, but he's just kinda insignificant overall compared to the other third parties in Smash.
Bomberman used to have a ton of games that came out regularly and pretty huge demand for Smash. He was also real popular in Japan. Then it all dried up and now he gets no love. :/

Metal Gear Solid was a revolutionary game not for defining the stealth genre for for laying the ground work for cinematic cutscenes and narrative in video games.. It's practically the foundation of today's modern AAA games.
And it happened on PlayStation. As did every subsequent iteration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom