• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
So, I'm in a weird position. I honestly have only one character that isn't in the game that I want: Isaac. Everyone else is pure icing. It honestly feels weird not being all like "GIMME MAH CHARACTARSSS" but instead being "If you give me Isaac, you can do whatever else you want, don't care, will buy all DLC characters, yes even Tingle." I mean, obviously I would love it if Toad were playable (Captain or otherwise, I just want Toad in some form), but I'm not even all hot and bothered about that. I just genuinely enjoy this game and everything it has to offer, and the cast is so stinking diverse. All it needs is some Golden Sun (Isaac, Felix, Matthew, whatev), and I'll call it a day.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I'm in a weird position. I honestly have only one character that isn't in the game that I want: Isaac. Everyone else is pure icing. It honestly feels weird not being all like "GIMME MAH CHARACTARSSS" but instead being "If you give me Isaac, you can do whatever else you want, don't care, will buy all DLC characters, yes even Tingle." I mean, obviously I would love it if Toad were playable (Captain or otherwise, I just want Toad in some form), but I'm not even all hot and bothered about that. I just genuinely enjoy this game and everything it has to offer, and the cast is so stinking diverse. All it needs is some Golden Sun (Isaac, Felix, Matthew, whatev), and I'll call it a day.
idk why it's weird. The only character I want is Paper Mario, neutral on everyone else including kkr.

You're probably not alone anyway.

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
In a perfect world, we'd have one rep from each company. But no, Ryu just had to show up and ruin the pattern, and now we have to have 2 reps each, or there'll be whining from the fanbase about unequal representation.

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice
Please people . You want stuf like Shaunte and Layton as a 3rd party .Stop ignoring the Difinitive choice . Maxwell the Scribblenaut

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
:4mario: v. :4sonic: v. :4megaman: v.
v. :4pacman: v.
v.
v.
LaytonFace.png

Is what getting an iconic rep that's fairly closely related to Nintendo would look like.

Coincidentally there's one from each of Nintendo's notable friends.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
:4mario: v. :4sonic: v. :4megaman: v.
v. :4pacman: v.
v.
v. View attachment 47983

Is what getting an iconic rep that's fairly closely related to Nintendo would look like.

Coincidentally there's one from each of Nintendo's notable friends.
I'd be okay with this. A lot.

I kind of forget about Bomberman. Poor Chap. Talk about a character who has had it about as rough if not worse than Mega Man.

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Has everyone forgot about Tecmo Koei after Hyrule Warriors? I swore that I read a article saying they were really good friends afterwards, and wanted to do more crossovers.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Has everyone forgot about Tecmo Koei after Hyrule Warriors? I swore that I read a article saying they were really good friends afterwards, and wanted to do more crossovers.
Nintendo / DOA fighter plz.

Get your mind out of the gutter.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's true, but not many people seem to care about Ryu Hayabusa in Smash.

Nintendo / DOA fighter plz.

Get your mind out of the gutter.
but it's been in there so long I dont want to leave :( i wouldnt have even thought of it if you didnt put the disclaimer

we have multile ninjas. but we have no pirates for ninjas vs pirates. this dissapoints me. inb4 Krok

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
In all seriousness, I have mixed feelings on a potential Ninty / DOA collaboration.

On the one hand, I love DOA and admire its dynamic playstyle and detailed fighter engine, and the characters (while admittedly bland in some cases) are pretty endearing. A crossover could be fun, and who doesn't want to see Palutena with DOA physics Mario getting backhanded through a kitchen window?

On the other hand, DOA has the reputation of being "the poor man's Tekken", and while I don't think the sentiment is necessarily justified, it's a fair comparison. Honestly, I wonder what would distinguish it as a game aside from being "DOA with Nintendo characters". Even as a fighting game, I'm not really sure exactly what DOA does that sets it apart from the competition (boobs don't count), at least insofar I can't imagine the engine being any more complex or distinguished than any other fighting game of a similar nature.

Unless they wanted to do something totally different and just take elements from Nintendo and Tecmo-Koei's respective canons, which would be pretty amazing. A Warriors-style game with Nintendo characters duking it out with the likes of Ayane and Ryu Hayabusa would be pretty cool.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
In all seriousness, I have mixed feelings on a potential Ninty / DOA collaboration.

On the one hand, I love DOA and admire its dynamic playstyle and detailed fighter engine, and the characters (while admittedly bland in some cases) are pretty endearing. A crossover could be fun, and who doesn't want to see Palutena with DOA physics Mario getting backhanded through a kitchen window?

On the other hand, DOA has the reputation of being "the poor man's Tekken", and while I don't think the sentiment is necessarily justified, it's a fair comparison. Honestly, I wonder what would distinguish it as a game aside from being "DOA with Nintendo characters". Even as a fighting game, I'm not really sure exactly what DOA does that sets it apart from the competition (boobs don't count), at least insofar I can't imagine the engine being any more complex or distinguished than any other fighting game of a similar nature.

Unless they wanted to do something totally different and just take elements from Nintendo and Tecmo-Koei's respective canons, which would be pretty amazing. A Warriors-style game with Nintendo characters duking it out with the likes of Ayane and Ryu Hayabusa would be pretty cool.
DOA, DOA. What's DOA?!? Um... Erm... DOMINATION ON AMERICA!!!!!!............That's probably not what it means.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Well, they did say they'd like to do Super Smash Warriors, but that'll be some time before that comes true.

And I was thinking Ninja Gaiden Hayabusa, not the DOA one.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So, what would y'all say about this third party lineup

Snake, Simon Belmont, Sonic, Megaman, Ryu, Pac Man?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
No love for a Musou character? Oh wait, they don't really have a defined main protagonist in the series.

But how about Lana or any other OC from Hyrule Warriors? Oh wait, Zelda fans hate her and the others so much to the point of rarely requesting them in the ballot.

Can Kasumi from DOA join the battle? Oh wait, she's too sexualized and Nintendo might earn some controversy from her inclusion.

Oh well, at least Ryu's the only possible choice to choose from.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
No love for a Musou character? Oh wait, they don't really have a defined main protagonist in the series.

But how about Lana or any other OC from Hyrule Warriors? Oh wait, Zelda fans hate her and the others so much to the point of rarely requesting then in the ballot.

Can Kasumi from DOA join the battle? Oh wait, she's too sexualized and Nintendo might earn some controversy from her inclusion.

Oh well, at least Ryu's the only possible choice to choose from.
I've seen some people that voted for Lana.
Probably because her moveset potential is so obvious. (Aka they don't need to think)

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'm beginning to hate the idea of reps. Specifically, I do not understand why anyone is bothering to think about 3rd party characters in terms of the companies that own them, rather than on their own and their franchises merits. I've heard a bit too much "muh Capcom has two reps, thus another SEGA/Namco character must be coming for fairness". YES, Capcom owns both Mega Man and Street Fighter. But these are two standalone franchises that deserve representation based on their own merits alone, and not of the company that owns them. I honestly get the feeling that if e.g. Konami owned Street Fighter, a lot less people would be complaining, which is absurd. Ryu deserves to get in or not regardless of which company owns him, all other things being the same.

Obviously there will be some companies that are perhaps easier to work with, and the company that owns the character will have a lot of impact upon the development process. But remember that when you start up the game, the characters have their game icons, not their company logos. Mega Man represents Mega Man, and Ryu would represent Street Fighter. Stop thinking "Capcom has 2 reps" and instead think "Mega Man has one rep, Street Fighter has one rep" because in my opinion the latter is the sensible way of approaching things.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
:4zss:"I wear heels and have bigger breasts now, not to mention I'll have sportswear that can be considered too revealing"
No arguement there, but what happens in your average Dead or Alive game is much worse. I would rather not go into detail of Kasumi and Ayane's backstory (especially in terms of why the latter was born).

I'm beginning to hate the idea of reps. Specifically, I do not understand why anyone is bothering to think about 3rd party characters in terms of the companies that own them, rather than on their own and their franchises merits. I've heard a bit too much "muh Capcom has two reps, thus another SEGA/Namco character must be coming for fairness". YES, Capcom owns both Mega Man and Street Fighter. But these are two standalone franchises that deserve representation based on their own merits alone, and not of the company that owns them. I honestly get the feeling that if e.g. Konami owned Street Fighter, a lot less people would be complaining, which is absurd. Ryu deserves to get in or not regardless of which company owns him, all other things being the same.

Obviously there will be some companies that are perhaps easier to work with, and the company that owns the character will have a lot of impact upon the development process. But remember that when you start up the game, the characters have their game icons, not their company logos. Mega Man represents Mega Man, and Ryu would represent Street Fighter. Stop thinking "Capcom has 2 reps" and instead think "Mega Man has one rep, Street Fighter has one rep" because in my opinion the latter is the sensible way of approaching things.
yessss Another one joins the ranks of repping haters.
I dream that one day; all people will want characters not for the content of their series. But for the quality of the character themselves

are lana/cia/ dragon dude who I like the most owned by Nintendo or not?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Super Smash Bros added a puppet-fighter and mech-fighter style characters this game, the latter of which was I style I really wanted to see in this game. We need a morph-fighter character. Similar to Shuma Gorath and Arakune... Someone who can morph their body to attack opponents, summon minions, use magic and brings a whole wealth of crazy inspiration for moves and attacks. I wonder what such character exists....... :awesome:

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
yessss Another one joins the ranks of repping haters.
I dream that one day; all people will want characters not for the content of their series. But for the quality of the character themselves

are lana/cia/ dragon dude who I like the most owned by Nintendo or not?
Well, I guess I should say it then.

I hate the current repping logic by numbers.

It just doesn't tell the full story. If Xenoblade as one rep and zelda 4 reps, I just think it makes sense because zelda is a series that is just considered one of the main series of nintendo, well developped since the nes and has just a whole lot of experience with the ideas.

So, when people tell me that mario is overrepped, I don't get it.

Then, I cam to the realisation that it's way more complex than just numbers because the characters doesn't rep themselves, but a whole subset of everything related to nintendo no matter what their series is. Rosalina, isn't repping rosalina, but the galaxy subset of the mario series. Therefore, since that subset is new to the game, has been known to be important and praised....A LOT not to mention the popularity, then how exactly there's redundancy here?

It gets even more complicated when you come to G&W because his subset doesn't even exist. It was created by abstraction because it was quite defining a big part of nintendo. Meaning that not only he doesn't rep himself, but he doesn't even rep any series, he reps the subset of the G&W hardware and that subset was made by abstracting the G&W hardware series. Same for ROB here, he doesn't rep gyromite nor himself, but a part of the snes hardware subset.

This is why it's so tricky, the best addition to the game is those that makes the best compromise between the variety they bring and how it expands the repping. You want to have a character that brings a lot of variety by his subset, has the potential to do it WHILE such subset is important enough to welcome it into the game to expands it.

If I ONLY take popularity, irrelevant. If I only take potential, irrelevant. There has to be a compromise between the repping and the character.

Which is why kkr is a so good choice, his subset is definitely important (I might even say overdue), he's popular everywhere and his playustyle definitely would be new. The only thing he lacks is recency, but by being so popular, it quite balances it out. Meaning the pros would quite overshadow the cons making it a great choice.

It's not just numbers because numbers would not tell this.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Pac-Man and Ryu... characters long associated with Nintendo...
I mean I associate Ryu with Nintendo because Street Fighter II and Street Fighter II Turbo were the best and 2nd best selling 3rd party SNES games, as well as the 4th and 7th best selling SNES games period. Street Fighter II is the game(s) in the series that everyone knows about, and the game(s) that people think of when thinking about Street Fighter or Ryu, and those people usually associate those games with the SNES, because that's where most people played them, so that's kind of a big deal in my eyes. The way I see it the Street Fighter II series is to SNES as the Mega Man series is to NES, but that's just me. I also associate Pac-Man and Nintendo together because of the connection they have through arcade gaming, and because of all of the times him and Mario have crosed over. It also just has to do with fact that I grew up playing their biggest games on Nintendo systems, so I personally tend to associate them with Nintendo, that's why I said the idea of them in Smash would make ME happy as a Nintendo fan.

D

Deleted member

She is a great choice for the most part, especially with her very large amount of moveset potential (Check the moveset analysis below) and her high marketing potential. (being an attracting looking icon, in which some people can determine their purchase by)

When you see the potential, you'll see why people support her so much. I recommend watching some gameplay, and you'll see what I mean.

And again, she's not obscure, if Bayonetta's sales are any indication, why do you keep calling her that?
(Nearly 2 million with Bayonetta and the sequel combined. according VG charts, not related to iconicness, just obscurity)
Having a large amount of move set potentials doesn't make you special and you could argue many third-party characters also have great move set potentials. Doesn't mean that they're a good choice.

And nearly two million isn't exactly a lot when you consider how well Metal Gear, Mega Man, Sonic, Street Fighter, and Pac-Man have sold in comparison. She is still a drop in the water in comparison to these five.
Shovel Knight has both critical acclaim, high popularity, a good amount of moveset potential, and can also sell well just by his design. I'd argue that would be enough to consider them both worthwhile additions to the roster.
Critical acclaim and large move set potentials doesn't make Shovel Knight special because many other third-party characters can argue that as well. As for his "high popularity" it's a bandwagon that is already receding. Perhaps it would mean more if he had consistently high fan demand like Sonic and Mega Man did. And as for Smash DLC, would Shovel Knight really sell as well as the likes of legendary third-party characters like Ryu, Snake as well as Nintendo characters like King K. Rool and Isaac? I think some would be turned off by the fact that indie characters would seriously lower the standards for third-party characters and I myself would not buy them out of protest (I hardly find them special additions like the third-parties we already got).
And I'm arguing they don't have to be iconic as heck to get in the roster, as long as they have some qualities that make them a great choice, they can sell just as well as Ryu and other potential DLC characters. It's not a really a step down for the most part, it's just something new and fresh direction with character choices that people barely explored.
Perhaps if we were talking about Nintendo characters I would agree, but we're not. Many third-party characters can argue that they would have great move set potentials or critical acclaim but the vast majority of them don't have the resume to be considered legendary. Characters like Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Slime, Bomberman all fit this but can you really say that Bayonetta or Shovel Knight comes even remotely close?
Give me Mario vs Mega Man vs Sonic vs Pac-Man vs Ryu vs Slime vs Professor Layton vs. Bomberman and MAYBE I'd illicit that reaction
Fix'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom