• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Looking at the Reddit poll, the only third party character suggested that even grazes the level of Mario and Megaman (aside from Snake) is Simon Belmont given how Castlevania is practically a genre in itself. I can't decide whether indie characters should be considered on the same level as third party characters because, let's be real, comparing characters like Shantae to Pac-Man is miserably unfair.
Bk dog bk. People love Banjo Kazooie he is the face if rare and icon to Nintendo fans everywhere. There's a reason they won.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Call me crazy, but even thought Castlevania is obvious a huge series...Simon Belmont doesn't strike me as an iconic character in any way. The only thing consistent between his various character designs is that he has a whip.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
simons issue is the fact that he changes apperances every game he is in and unlike mega man its drastic but what do you guys think about king k rool and this guy
Say hello to the new Wii Fit Trainer! Still a better idea than Monita or the Balance Board. :troll:

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Bk dog bk. People love Banjo Kazooie he is the face if rare and icon to Nintendo fans everywhere. There's a reason they won.
You know, it's dumb, but even after all these years I still consider them Nintendo characters. It doesn't help that their last three games have been Fart in the Face terrible so I practically act like they haven't been in a real game since Banjo Tooie.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Simon is (sadly) never getting in, but if he did, it'd be cool to for him to have 4 80s barbarian palette swaps,and 4 Chronicles ones.
Who's to say? I don't think Ryu(if he's in) or the Wii Fit Trainer were ever expected either.

Besides, I'd like to see Simon get the same treatment as Lucina, with different armor colors and hair colors.

Normal Look: Castlevania Chronicles(Red Hair/Black armor)
Alt#1: Classic NES Simon(Castlevania NES colors. Brown hair/Orange armor)
Alt#2: Simon Quest's NES Simon(Simon's Quest colors. Black Hair/Dark Red armor)
Alt#3: Castlevania IV Simon(SCIV colors. Brown hair/Blue armor)
Alt#4: Haunted Castle Simon(Haunted Castle colors. Blue hair/Green armor/Darker skin)
Alt#5: Simon's Quest artwork Simon(SQ artwork colors. Blonde hair/Red armor with yellow markings)
Alt#6: Juste Belmont colors(White Hair/Bright red armor)
Alt#7: Doppelganger Simon(Yellow Hair/Yellow armor/Green skin/Snake Whip)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Call me crazy, but even thought Castlevania is obvious a huge series...Simon Belmont doesn't strike me as an iconic character in any way. The only thing consistent between his various character designs is that he has a whip.
Kind of like the Megaman series and it's many stars (or, rather, incarnations) Simon is still seen as the face of the series despite not staring in every game. Much like Megaman 2 is considered a legendary game, many gamers feel the same about the first Castlevania. The series is deeply iconic from its gameplay to its character to its music. Megaman- Simon, Wily's Fortress - Dracula's Castle, Mega Buster - Vampire Killer, Megaman 2 Wily's Fortress BGM - Castlevania 2 Bloody Tears. All these things are a big part of gaming culture which is why I think Simon would fit the bill if they continued to keep the high criteria for third party characters.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I feel like his name is more iconic than his actual design.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Simon is (sadly) never getting in, but if he did, it'd be cool to for him to have 4 80s barbarian palette swaps,and 4 Chronicles ones.
I'm not really a fan of Lords of Shadow, but I do like the direction they took Simon in that game. It was a nice combination of his classic and Ayami designs.

Those are two very different looks.

That's a decent combination of the two in my opinion.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Still, at least Pac-Man isn't the most generic fighting dude of all time.
The only reason Ryu is the most generic fighting dude of all time is because he inspired practically every subsequent game in the genre. You might as well call Mario the most generic platformer of all time for similar reasons.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Couldn't agree with this more. This would be a really cool 3rd party cast.
Bomberman makes things all the better.
simons issue is the fact that he changes apperances every game he is in and unlike mega man its drastic but what do you guys think about king k rool and this guy
I laughed so hard that I need to make a trailer for him.

Wario, Wii FIt Trainer, Link, and Fox are playing some random wii motion control game when Wario loses and gets really mad. He throws the Wii remote and it flies out of sight. Everyone looks at him and suddenly the wii remote guy taps his shoulder. Wario looks up at him and the reckless wii remote guy swings the wii remote at wario lauching him off screen. The splash art then pops up and says "Reckless Safety Notice Man swings the Wii Remote into battle.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Bomberman makes things all the better.

I laughed so hard that I need to make a trailer for him.

Wario, Wii FIt Trainer, Link, and Fox are playing some random wii motion control game when Wario loses and gets really mad. He throws the Wii remote and it flies out of sight. Everyone looks at him and suddenly the wii remote guy taps his shoulder. Wario looks up at him and the reckless wii remote guy swings the wii remote at wario lauching him off screen. The splash art then pops up and says "Reckless Safety Notice Man swings the Wii Remote into battle.
his voice could be iwata that would be awesome

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If we want this, then we should just make Goldeen a playable character. :p
Fisher joins the battle! He attacks using the fish Pokémon he caught on his travels. (How? He wields them as clubs! Duh!) Final Smash: Revenge of the Magikarp: This has Magikarp use Splash to inflict instant death on every fighter on the screen. You cannot avoid this attack.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Fisher joins the battle! He attacks using the fish Pokémon he caught on his travels. (How? He wields them as clubs! Duh!) Final Smash: Revenge of the Magikarp: This has Magikarp use Splash to inflict instant death on every fighter on the screen. You cannot avoid this attack.
This is why I don't like of having Supernova as a Paper Mario final smash because it's literally that.

Also, the person just mash A....boring.....

Why not art attack!

art attack.gif

I just would love it :)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This is why I don't like of having Supernova as a Paper Mario final smash because it's literally that.

Also, the person just mash A....boring.....

Why not art attack!

View attachment 47953

I just would love it :)
How dare you beat up Koopatrols! They are best Mario enemy. :p
EDIT: I like how Magicarp inflicting instant death reminds you of supernova. (Imagines Magikarp randomly exploding with supernova preportions.)

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I just thought of something.... if Ryu is so iconic in gaming, then how come the guy on reddit who initially leaked the sound files didn't even know who he was? And this guy is a Smash Bros fanatic. So obviously Ryu isn't that popular

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
How dare you beat up Koopatrols! They are best Mario enemy. :p
EDIT: I like how Magicarp inflicting instant death reminds you of supernova. (Imagines Magikarp randomly exploding with supernova preportions.)
Well, supernova isn`t instadeath, but it`s dang powerfull to be mortal.

What is so OP that no one imagine it can be his FS is Showstopper, you basically insta kill the enemy based on a RNG (so, you kill it or not) and the rng gets stronger as you successfully do the sequence of buttons.

Not only being RNG jsut doesn't make sense for FS, but yo directly instakill.....it`s just not worth it. I think there's a commandless version in pm64 and I think it's called up away or so.

But for instakill, showstopper is better. Supernova is just OP and powerfull and not based on rng.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I just thought of something.... if Ryu is so iconic in gaming, then how come the guy on reddit who initially leaked the sound files didn't even know who he was? And this guy is a Smash Bros fanatic. So obviously Ryu isn't that popular
He is popular alright. Just because one person doesn't know a character doesn't mean they aren't popular. Untill I picked up Super Smash Bros. Brawl I didn't know who Fox was. Does that make him unpopular. No. That makes me a noob.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Just sharing this also in this thread; if the mods don't mind; .. just for a better visibility, and this is convenient for the Character Discussion too;
(I got missed today/yesterday 'cause I worked on that all the day XD)

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
One fan's reaction does not speak for everyone, there are people who haven't heard of Mega Man or Sonic, but it'd be silly to say they're not iconic characters.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You're making a jump in logic that is so big that it's insulting.

Remember that big famous video game poll? When polled, only 80% of people knew who Mario and PAC-MAN were.

Around 20% didn't. Those are the de facto icons of gaming.

Moreover, if I don't know who Michael Jackson is, that doesn't make him unpopular or make him any less famous.

It just means I didn't know.

One person not knowing someone doesn't negate a large amount of others knowing it.

Not everyone knows everything.

Just like you don't know how to argue a point.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/composition-division
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/no-true-scotsman

You just committed all of these logical fallacies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom