• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Reading comprehension, kid. I meant Street Fighter as a franchise.

I can go to sleep now, right?
I thought you meant the show really, not the Franchise as a whole.

I don't see why not? Nothing is stopping you and I hope you sleep good as well (sincerely).

This is just a debate between us, nothing else nothing more.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I thought you meant the show really, not the Franchise as a whole.

I don't see why not? Nothing is stopping you and I hope you sleep good as well (sincerely).

This is just a debate between us, nothing else nothing more.
No offense but this "debate" has been a tennis match of "Ryu is iconic for X reason" "No but Mario/Pac-Man and Mega Man did this".

Anyways, if Ryu is making it in, I want that sweet, sweet Donkey Kick as his FSmash. Or Focus Attack as a down+b that can break shields. Or both. Ryu's seen as "generic" but he has quite a few things he can incorporate into Smash.

Except that thing in Marvel Vs. Capcom where he turns Akuma or Ken's colors. Now that'd just be confusing.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Reading comprehension, kid. I meant Street Fighter as a franchise. And oh my god you brought up Mario and Pac-Man AGAIN.

I don't think you can understand what I'm saying: I am not saying Street Fighter had a bigger impact than Mario or Pac-Man. Get it through your head. It had a big impact but it was not that big.
That is what I thought your point was, which is why I was arguing my point. I wasn't saying how Megaman and Snake is bigger than Street Fighter, but how they also had their impacts.

No offense but this "debate" has been a tennis match of "Ryu is iconic for X reason" "No but Mario/Pac-Man and Mega Man did this".
None taken. This is just some way to kill time to me. Nothing against Ryu or any other video game franchise mentioned.

Anyways, if Ryu is making it in, I want that sweet, sweet Donkey Kick as his FSmash. Or Focus Attack as a down+b that can break shields. Or both. Ryu's seen as "generic" but he has quite a few things he can incorporate into Smash.
That is true and seeing all the tactics people come up with him are interesting.

Except that thing in Marvel Vs. Capcom where he turns Akuma or Ken's colors. Now that'd just be confusing.
You will have to argue with the Ryu for Smash Support Thread about that, since that is what they are advocating to be Ryu's alternate colors.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I was quoting everything again, but let me try short: I was just defending the point that Ryu (and the Street Fighter name, doesn't matter what the problems that Capcom have today) is as big as the name Mario and Pac-Man, by what it is... but not exactly by comparison of what each character have done;

--the historic in the gaming industry matters for other purposes (and yes, they're important; including the SFII merits in the Arcades); but not in Smash.. it's all about familiar and popular faces (Shulk aside =P), and Ryu is acceptable by this terms at first place;

~AND I kinda want to sleep too.. is almost 2AM on my timezone. XD

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
You will have to argue with the Ryu for Smash Support Thread about that, since that is what they are advocating to be Ryu's alternate colors.
You never played MvC. Ryu had a special ability where he could change his playstyle via his input. He could inherit traits of the two.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I was quoting everything again, but let me try short: I was just defending Ryu (and the Street Fighter name, doesn't matter what the problems that Capcom have today) is as big as the name Mario and Pac-Man, by what it is...

--the historic in the gaming industry matters for other purposes (and yes, they're important; including the SFII merits in the Arcades); but not in Smash.. it's all about familiar and popular faces (Shulk aside =P), and Ryu is acceptable by this terms at first place;

~AND I kinda want to sleep too.. is almost 2AM on my timezone. XD
We all need sleep. I just thought you were saying that Mario and Pac-Man are not more iconic than Ryu. Nothing against Ryu, but Mario and Pac-Man are more iconic.

Sleep well man. Have a good day when you wake up and I hope everything goes well for you (sincerely)

Something funny is Ryu's file listing is between Mewtwo and Lucas.
Mewtwo
Ryu
Lucas

Mr. L confirmed. XD

You never played MvC. Ryu had a special ability where he could change his playstyle via his input. He could inherit traits of the two.
Not competitively, no. That sounds like a nightmare to program into the game and even a bigger nightmare to properly balance in Smash.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The only interesting point about Ryu being between the two is we've seen Mewtwo and Lucas, but not Ryu. According to the listing, he likely was decided and worked on before Lucas. Makes me believe his trailer is being saved till E3. Sucks that it's been spoiled again, but oh well. Nintendo ninjas have been slacking lately.

D

Deleted member

The only interesting point about Ryu being between the two is we've seen Mewtwo and Lucas, but not Ryu. According to the listing, he likely was decided and worked on before Lucas. Makes me believe his trailer is being saved till E3. Sucks that it's been spoiled again, but oh well. Nintendo ninjas have been slacking lately.
Interesting. Now that I think about it, I have been thinking that Ryu could be a likely E3 reveal and this only confirms my feeling. I wonder if Roy will be confirmed there as well.

Also do you think that Wolf is in development now? We have seen some files of characters in progress, but I strongly believe that if Roy and Lucas are in the work, so is Wolf. Maybe he'll get confirmed at E3 if work on him started around the time Lucas did because I strongly believe we will see him by the time Star Fox Wii U releases.

Last edited by a moderator:

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
Something funny is Ryu's file listing is between Mewtwo and Lucas.
I figured that was because of the Japanese alphabet. For them, L and R are the same letter. As for why Ryu is before Lucas...I dunno. I'm not familiar with their original Japanese names or how their alphabet sorts them. =/

Burruni

Smash Hero
Screw it. I... I need to take a bit of a break from things. While we let dust settle, I'm going to give some perspective... Smash additions from one game to the next.

:mario64:&:luigi64:: The most iconic duo in gaming history. Mr. Nintendo and the under-loved little brother.
:dk64:&:yoshi64:: Originally just an appendage to Mario titles, these two had begun evolving out into their own identities with hit titles on the SNES and looking onward to N64.
:kirby64:&:link64:: Nintendo's Secondarily Outstanding Series.
:fox64:&:falcon64:: Fairly rocky starts that got HUGE titles come late SNES to early N64. CHARACTERS that were put in for their merit with the MOVESET made up for them.
:samus64:: B- Tier series that was coasting off the massive success of Super Metroid, but never quite expanded like Kirby or Zelda. Still a very strong choice with the series looking on the up and up.
:ness64:: A fairly niche title that was incredibly well recieved and had strong enough fans to be included in this new tier of gaming stardom.
:pikachu64:: The flagship character of the new and INCREDIBLY popular series after the sucess of Red, Blue, and Green (Yellow was on the Horizon).
:jigglypuff64:: A rushed "Extra" character off of basic assets :kirby64:. Justified at the time because of Jiggly being one of the spotlight characters in the show at the time.
Planned characters who didn't make it: :bowsermelee:Big. :mewtwomelee:Series. :dedede:Villains.

Melee
:peachmelee:&:bowsermelee:: Flushing out the Mario Cast to fill in the two missing pieces: The Princess and the Villain, to match the Hero.
:zeldamelee:/:sheikmelee:&(:ganondorfmelee:): Same thing, but for :linkmelee:. Sheik's inclusion was taken due to OoT's popularity and the Ninja theme. Something interesting to note is that:ganondorfmelee:, :younglinkmelee:, & :pichumelee: are the only of the "clone 6" to be ANYWHERE in the intro.
:gawmelee:: Retro character chosen to represent the humble beginnings and hardware of LCD gaming.
:icsmelee:: Retro chosen more for the unique gameplay they could provide as a duo.
:marthmelee:: Actually, a pretty requested character to represent the fairly niche Fire Emblem series that had yet to see a title since the SNES. Originally intended to not be in the international release.
:mewtwomelee:: The closest thing to a villain Pokemon had other than Team Rocket. High in demand and planned to be in 64.
:drmario:,:ganondorfmelee:,:younglinkmelee:,:falcomelee:,:pichumelee:,and:roymelee: were decided on in later development in the short development time. Somewhere, Sakurai was cited to say that making these 6 was comparable to ONE fully unique character (presumably :dedede:).
:falconmelee:->:ganondorfmelee: chosen due to it being the most human moveset that had a particularly powerful feeling to it.
:linkmelee:->:younglinkmelee: worked off of the massive popularity of OoT and MM.
:foxmelee:->:falcomelee: Somewhere, I recall seeing that Wolf was originally thought of but Falco was chosen because Wolf would look too similar to Fox with the fairly minimal change that would be made between the two.
:mariomelee:->:drmario: a call back that was basically a model edit and some property changes. Originally, :warioc: was thought of but was quickly dismissed for a Mario clone.
:pikachumelee:->:pichumelee: implemented as a joke character. Plain and simple.
:marthmelee:->:roymelee: Chosen due to FE6 being almost done by the time Melee was coming in Japan and the series fairly needing the popularity boost from Smash. His Blazing Sword being the legendary weapon for the lord.

Brawl
:diddy:: The sidekick to DK. An arguably "overdue" newcomer for the series.
:wario:: Much in a similar condition as :dk64::yoshi64: were.
:younglinkmelee: is replaced by the more long-term and arguably more unique change to :toonlink:. Due to him being in a similar case to :wolf: and :jigglypuff:, was likely put into place fairly late in the development cycle.
:dedede:: LONG overdue rival-enemy-friend for Kirby, with the similar :metaknight: coming in.
:zerosuitsamus:: After Zero Mission bringing to light, was chosen to expand Metroid out as a series as Ridley was planned as two Bosses for SSE and even an Assist Trophy.
:pit:: Essentially a retro character, the sister series to Metroid brought back out of nowhere.
:pt:-:squirtle:/:ivysaur:/:charizard:: The original 3 starters and the trainer character that started the entire series.
:lucario:: Arguably most iconic Gen 4 pokemon in the earlier years of the generation. Blended well into Smash.
:wolf:: A "quasi-clone" of Fox/Falco added fairly late in development. Technically intended in Melee.
:ike:: Protagonist of the first 3D Fire Emblem game, with FE10 being worked on for the Wii. Would become the second Protagonist to star in more than one game.
:lucas:: A "quasi-clone" of Ness, after the IMMENSE international love for Mother 3... even if it was never officially released internationally.
:rob:: Second "Hardware" Retro. Next to :mario2:, the king of Nintendo cameos after his one-off game of Gyromite and basically being an action figure.
:snake:: Third Party character put in namely due to a favor between Kojiima and Sakurai as individuals. Had to be toned down in the arsenal to fit the "cartoony" nature of the game.
:sonic:: LATE third party addition. The famous (even though it wasn't exactly even) rival to Mario himself. The HYPENING newcomer of all newcomers for the game.
The "Forbidden 7" unused character data: :4drmario:,:mewtwopm:&:roypm: as veterans. Meaning that :pichumelee: was MEANT to stay cut. Other than this, Dixie had incomplete data from a draft that had her as a partner to Diddy Kong as an Ice Climbers styled character, and "Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik (most likely Tetra)," as similar clones. The last data is just Pra_Mai, which is far less clear on what it is. Theories go from Plusle & Minun as a tag team or it being an early draft of a random button... something that Brawl introduced to the series.

And finally, Smash 4.

:rosalina:: The recent and popular character that has been settling more and more as a staple for the Mario universe and the entire cosmic theme was one that was fighter-worthy.
:4bowserjr:: A fairly late addition (almost didn't make the release date) who used the quirkiness of the Koopa Klown Car and mostly its usage in the New Super Mario Bros. series as inspiration for a mech fighter that wasn't massive.
:4greninja:: A Pokemon chosen before Gen 6 came out due to concept art. Had an interesting design and the entire Ninja theme that went wild.
:4robinm:/:4robinf:: Representing the MyUnit from FE12/13, was chosen due to being a more unique and interesting fighter than Chrom as a Magiknight/Spellsword.
:4lucina:: Alongside :4drmario: and :4darkpit:were planned originally as Alts and promoted fairly lately on due to having a mixture of recency, popularity, and enough between them to differentiate from their original source.. no matter how insignificant it may seem.
:4palutena:: Using the popularity and diverse move possibilities from Kid Icarus: Uprising, which Sakurai stopped work on RIGHT before being pushed onto the project of Smash 4.
:4littlemac:: A "retro" with a big recent title. A shocker choice due to being an old Assist Trophy and being significantly more popular outside of Japan.
:4villager:: Originally considered too "innocent" by Sakurai to be in Smash, coasted off of the ever-growing popularity of the series and ironically was revealed as New Leaf became the massive success it was.
:4wiifit::4wiifitm:: Sakurai's biggest WTF choice... technically representing the Balance Board and subsect of "self-help" games.
:4shulk:: Similar to :4ness:, had the IMMENSE popularity off of his game, fan efforts to get the game at all, and interesting moveset to be able to join the ranks.
:4duckhunt:: Bundled with the NES and the representative of the Zapper as hardware.
:4megaman:: Nostalgia in a Little Blue box. While his series and company fell more and more apart after the N64, faced a fairly recent resurgence. An NES/SNES classic.
:4pacman:: The great grandfather of gaming. A... Retro 3rd Party Newcomer?
:4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun:: The Miis have become a staple of Nintendo since the Wii and have become a far more utilised concept from just Sports titles to Streetpass Plaza to the oddly massive Tomodachi Life that was quite recent. Arguably the best they could have done with the additions of Mii. [/spoilers]

Of course, this is off of OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED characters at this point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Or maybe.....
He's going to be released next month with what was supposed to be a surprise announcement prior. :awesome:
Think about it....

Mewtwo: April
Lucas: June

Ryu is between them in the fanfare list...so he must be the May DLC release!

(I kid, I kid.)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You know, I have this theory about Roy not being included in the initial roster...

What if they held off releasing him in the initial roster and had Lucina fill in the role of Marth clone so that they could release a revamped Roy as DLC with his badass Awakening attire? I had that feeling for sometime and that would be awesome if it were true.

I think what you said about an "Ultra Super Smash Bros. 4" version for Nintendo's next console is spot on. Package all the DLC into one game, add some exclusive content for the port, increase the graphical fidelity, and allow online support to shift from the Wii U to NX servers. That, along with the possibility of the new Legend of Zelda title being a launch title, would incentivize Wii U players to upgrade while giving new gamers a more capable piece of hardware, further increasing the likelihood more gamers will pick up the 'new' Super Smash Bros. edition. May seem like a cheap page out of Capcom's playbook (which is fair since Ryu will likely be in the game), but it would be really smart for them to do. I know I would trade in my Wii U -- so long as my Virtual Console investments carry over.
A solid single player/story mode and other modes added as well would be nice.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Interesting. Now that I think about it, I have been thinking that Ryu could be a likely E3 reveal and this only confirms my feeling. I wonder if Roy will be confirmed there as well.

Also do you think that Wolf is in development now? We have seen some files of characters in progress, but I strongly believe that if Roy and Lucas are in the work, so is Wolf. Maybe he'll get confirmed at E3 if work on him started around the time Lucas did because I strongly believe we will see him by the time Star Fox Wii U releases.
Yeah, frankly, I'm expecting him to be available at the end of E3 and will probably be a free DLC character, since its more of a promotion than anything else. I definitely expect the announcement of another new game. It also makes a lot more sense for a third-party to be announced and released at the exact same time.

Which also means Ryu wouldn't break up the characters, either; Lucas comes a matter of weeks following E3, then Roy in August, and finally Wolf in October. They'd still probably have to start a preliminary DLC character, though, since they'll need to fill in the gaps after Wolf. They could still potentially announce the first ballot character at E3, just with very early footage.

Roy and Wolf could be announced at E3, or they'll be announced a month or two in advance to spread out the hype some more. (Maybe Roy at least would be announced at E3, since Lucas was announced earlier.)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If their were a sequel to the Subspace that incorporated all the DLC characters, I would buy the game in a heart beat. (would probably still get the console anyways so it isn't a big deal).

As for characters reveals, I can see Ryu getting revealed in May (or sometime before E3) and Roy and Wolf being revealed at E3 once games related to their series are showcased (SMT X FE and Star Fox Wii U respectively).

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If their were a sequel to the Subspace that incorporated all the DLC characters, I would buy the game in a heart beat. (would probably still get the console anyways so it isn't a big deal).

As for characters reveals, I can see Ryu getting revealed in May (or sometime before E3) and Roy and Wolf being revealed at E3 once games related to their series are showcased (SMT X FE and Star Fox Wii U respectively).
I can't see Ryu getting revealed in May. He's a third-party character; he'll definitely be revealed at E3.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Yeah, frankly, I'm expecting him to be available at the end of E3 and will probably be a free DLC character, since its more of a promotion than anything else. I definitely expect the announcement of another new game. It also makes a lot more sense for a third-party to be announced and released at the exact same time.
You think Ryu will be free? Really? They're going to add a 3rd party with a huge reputation to the game for free?

Roy being a freebie I could believe, but not Ryu.

I wouldn't be surprised if either Ryu or Roy (or both I guess) were released after the digital event. (or at least during E3)

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Screw it. I... I need to take a bit of a break from things. While we let dust settle, I'm going to give some perspective... Smash additions from one game to the next.

:mario64:&:luigi64:: The most iconic duo in gaming history. Mr. Nintendo and the under-loved little brother.
:dk64:&:yoshi64:: Originally just an appendage to Mario titles, these two had begun evolving out into their own identities with hit titles on the SNES and looking onward to N64.
:kirby64:&:link64:: Nintendo's Secondarily Outstanding Series.
:fox64:&:falcon64:: Fairly rocky starts that got HUGE titles come late SNES to early N64. CHARACTERS that were put in for their merit with the MOVESET made up for them.
:samus64:: B- Tier series that was coasting off the massive success of Super Metroid, but never quite expanded like Kirby or Zelda. Still a very strong choice with the series looking on the up and up.
:ness64:: A fairly niche title that was incredibly well recieved and had strong enough fans to be included in this new tier of gaming stardom.
:pikachu64:: The flagship character of the new and INCREDIBLY popular series after the sucess of Red, Blue, and Green (Yellow was on the Horizon).
:jigglypuff64:: A rushed "Extra" character off of basic assets :kirby64:. Justified at the time because of Jiggly being one of the spotlight characters in the show at the time.
Planned characters who didn't make it: :bowsermelee:Big. :mewtwomelee:Series. :dedede:Villains.

Melee
:peachmelee:&:bowsermelee:: Flushing out the Mario Cast to fill in the two missing pieces: The Princess and the Villain, to match the Hero.
:zeldamelee:/:sheikmelee:&(:ganondorfmelee:): Same thing, but for :linkmelee:. Sheik's inclusion was taken due to OoT's popularity and the Ninja theme. Something interesting to note is that:ganondorfmelee:, :younglinkmelee:, & :pichumelee: are the only of the "clone 6" to be ANYWHERE in the intro.
:gawmelee:: Retro character chosen to represent the humble beginnings and hardware of LCD gaming.
:icsmelee:: Retro chosen more for the unique gameplay they could provide as a duo.
:marthmelee:: Actually, a pretty requested character to represent the fairly niche Fire Emblem series that had yet to see a title since the SNES. Originally intended to not be in the international release.
:mewtwomelee:: The closest thing to a villain Pokemon had other than Team Rocket. High in demand and planned to be in 64.
:drmario:,:ganondorfmelee:,:younglinkmelee:,:falcomelee:,:pichumelee:,and:roymelee: were decided on in later development in the short development time. Somewhere, Sakurai was cited to say that making these 6 was comparable to ONE fully unique character (presumably :dedede:).
:falconmelee:->:ganondorfmelee: chosen due to it being the most human moveset that had a particularly powerful feeling to it.
:linkmelee:->:younglinkmelee: worked off of the massive popularity of OoT and MM.
:foxmelee:->:falcomelee: Somewhere, I recall seeing that Wolf was originally thought of but Falco was chosen because Wolf would look too similar to Fox with the fairly minimal change that would be made between the two.
:mariomelee:->:drmario: a call back that was basically a model edit and some property changes. Originally, :warioc: was thought of but was quickly dismissed for a Mario clone.
:pikachumelee:->:pichumelee: implemented as a joke character. Plain and simple.
:marthmelee:->:roymelee: Chosen due to FE6 being almost done by the time Melee was coming in Japan and the series fairly needing the popularity boost from Smash. His Blazing Sword being the legendary weapon for the lord.

Brawl
:diddy:: The sidekick to DK. An arguably "overdue" newcomer for the series.
:wario:: Much in a similar condition as :dk64::yoshi64: were.
:younglinkmelee: is replaced by the more long-term and arguably more unique change to :toonlink:. Due to him being in a similar case to :wolf: and :jigglypuff:, was likely put into place fairly late in the development cycle.
:dedede:: LONG overdue rival-enemy-friend for Kirby, with the similar :metaknight: coming in.
:zerosuitsamus:: After Zero Mission bringing to light, was chosen to expand Metroid out as a series as Ridley was planned as two Bosses for SSE and even an Assist Trophy.
:pit:: Essentially a retro character, the sister series to Metroid brought back out of nowhere.
:pt:-:squirtle:/:ivysaur:/:charizard:: The original 3 starters and the trainer character that started the entire series.
:lucario:: Arguably most iconic Gen 4 pokemon in the earlier years of the generation. Blended well into Smash.
:wolf:: A "quasi-clone" of Fox/Falco added fairly late in development. Technically intended in Melee.
:ike:: Protagonist of the first 3D Fire Emblem game, with FE10 being worked on for the Wii. Would become the second Protagonist to star in more than one game.
:lucas:: A "quasi-clone" of Ness, after the IMMENSE international love for Mother 3... even if it was never officially released internationally.
:rob:: Second "Hardware" Retro. Next to :mario2:, the king of Nintendo cameos after his one-off game of Gyromite and basically being an action figure.
:snake:: Third Party character put in namely due to a favor between Kojiima and Sakurai as individuals. Had to be toned down in the arsenal to fit the "cartoony" nature of the game.
:sonic:: LATE third party addition. The famous (even though it wasn't exactly even) rival to Mario himself. The HYPENING newcomer of all newcomers for the game.
The "Forbidden 7" unused character data: :4drmario:,:mewtwopm:&:roypm: as veterans. Meaning that :pichumelee: was MEANT to stay cut. Other than this, Dixie had incomplete data from a draft that had her as a partner to Diddy Kong as an Ice Climbers styled character, and "Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik (most likely Tetra)," as similar clones. The last data is just Pra_Mai, which is far less clear on what it is. Theories go from Plusle & Minun as a tag team or it being an early draft of a random button... something that Brawl introduced to the series.

And finally, Smash 4.

:rosalina:: The recent and popular character that has been settling more and more as a staple for the Mario universe and the entire cosmic theme was one that was fighter-worthy.
:4bowserjr:: A fairly late addition (almost didn't make the release date) who used the quirkiness of the Koopa Klown Car and mostly its usage in the New Super Mario Bros. series as inspiration for a mech fighter that wasn't massive.
:4greninja:: A Pokemon chosen before Gen 6 came out due to concept art. Had an interesting design and the entire Ninja theme that went wild.
:4robinm:/:4robinf:: Representing the MyUnit from FE12/13, was chosen due to being a more unique and interesting fighter than Chrom as a Magiknight/Spellsword.
:4lucina:: Alongside :4drmario: and :4darkpit:were planned originally as Alts and promoted fairly lately on due to having a mixture of recency, popularity, and enough between them to differentiate from their original source.. no matter how insignificant it may seem.
:4palutena:: Using the popularity and diverse move possibilities from Kid Icarus: Uprising, which Sakurai stopped work on RIGHT before being pushed onto the project of Smash 4.
:4littlemac:: A "retro" with a big recent title. A shocker choice due to being an old Assist Trophy and being significantly more popular outside of Japan.
:4villager:: Originally considered too "innocent" by Sakurai to be in Smash, coasted off of the ever-growing popularity of the series and ironically was revealed as New Leaf became the massive success it was.
:4wiifit::4wiifitm:: Sakurai's biggest WTF choice... technically representing the Balance Board and subsect of "self-help" games.
:4shulk:: Similar to :4ness:, had the IMMENSE popularity off of his game, fan efforts to get the game at all, and interesting moveset to be able to join the ranks.
:4duckhunt:: Bundled with the NES and the representative of the Zapper as hardware.
:4megaman:: Nostalgia in a Little Blue box. While his series and company fell more and more apart after the N64, faced a fairly recent resurgence. An NES/SNES classic.
:4pacman:: The great grandfather of gaming. A... Retro 3rd Party Newcomer?
:4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun:: The Miis have become a staple of Nintendo since the Wii and have become a far more utilised concept from just Sports titles to Streetpass Plaza to the oddly massive Tomodachi Life that was quite recent. Arguably the best they could have done with the additions of Mii.

Of course, this is off of OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED characters at this point.
God smash 4 has so many lame character additions...

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Really? I would say it has the most diverse, by far. Not counting the three clones.
Ill agree there are some unique movesets formed but some of the characters who received them are so blase backburner characters (So many avatars jesus christ.) (also so many anime or human characters.)

I still would have been 100% fine without Rosalina, Shulk, Robin, Mii Fighters, Wii Fit Trainer, Lucina, Dark Pit, Palutena, Greninja, and even Villager (Tom should have gotten that cool moveset, tom is an actual character.)

To be fair though I should have saw the signs, more and more throwaways were being added each game its just they were masked by the amount of wanted characters added that nobody cared.

Not to mention those characters I talked about are basically unrecognizable to old nintendo fans...

I also forgot to mention it kills me how many freaking characters have a counter as their B down now and the amount of sword characters in this game is starting to get out of hand as well.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Ill agree there are some unique movesets formed but some of the characters who received them are so blase backburner characters (So many avatars jesus christ.) (also so many anime or human characters.)

I still would have been 100% fine without Rosalina, Shulk, Robin, Mii Fighters, Wii Fit Trainer, Lucina, Dark Pit, Palutena, Greninja, and even Villager (Tom should have gotten that cool moveset, tom is an actual character.)

To be fair though I should have saw the signs, more and more throwaways were being added each game its just they were masked by the amount of good characters added that nobody cared.

Not to mention those characters I talked about are basically unrecognizable to old nintendo fans...

I also forgot to mention it kills me how many freaking characters have a counter as their B down now and the amount of sword characters in this game is starting to get out of hand as well.
Unless you series is called Kirby,(or Pac Man/Mega Man), in this Smash the game has special supporter to new things.

Last edited:

yani

Smash Lord
Hmm so we think 10ish DLC characters are possible? If we're locked in for Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu, I normally would have guessed they'd do one or two more characters from the poll, but it's really going to be interesting to see what happens now. Two Capcom characters = Bayonetta has a serious shot. Especially if Nintendo does plan to continue the serious exclusively (though she could always be saved for the next game :p) I still think Wolf is a lock too..

mark welford

Smash Ace
I need to get this off my mind because it's really been bugging me but Shantae seems like a character who would fit perfectly into a Sonic title I mean to me she just gives off that Sonic series feel and her art style fits into the series it in my opinion.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Which is not saying much. In terms of popularity, I doubt she will maintain her popularity as we go longer without a Bayonetta game on a Nintendo system.
You doubt, but I don't think Sakurai will be concerned on the future for Bayonetta when it comes to her inclusion, he's just looking for good candidates he can put as DLC.

And how is Bayonetta even close to iconic? She only had two games; the first one wasn't enough to justify a sequel published by Sega and the sequel sold poorly anyway.
You're also forgetting that the sequel is also one of the highest critical acclaimed games on the Wii U, enough to get nominated at the Game Awards 2014. That certainly is a plus for Bayonetta too despite the sales.

Trying to argue that she is the tallest ****** is pointless; she isn't anywhere near the same level as Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, or Ryu and as such has no business being a guest in a Smash game.
I'm not trying to compare her to those icons. I said:
Bayonetta is the closest thing to a popular, relevant, decently iconic, and close to Nintendo character right now to get a shot as playable as far as (non-Sonic) SEGA characters go.
She may not be as iconic, but she certainly has a decently popular enough franchise to be a third-party guest in Smash.
And again, not all have to be compared to the larger icons in order to get in Smash.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
"Bayonetta is the closest thing to a popular, relevant, decently iconic, and close to Nintendo character right now to get a shot as playable as far as (non-Sonic) SEGA characters go."

That's like saying Vannilite is the most iconic non-legendary or starter gen 5 Pokémon, or saying Alfonzo/Linebeck is the best fitting Toon-exclusive character as far as non-Triforce Trio Zelda characters go.

May be true, doesn't mean they'll be in Smash.

"And again, not all have to be compared to the larger icons in order to get in Smash."

Isn't that exactly Sakurai stresses every time he talks about a third party in Smash.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
"Bayonetta is the closest thing to a popular, relevant, decently iconic, and close to Nintendo character right now to get a shot as playable as far as (non-Sonic) SEGA characters go."

That's like saying Vannilite is the most iconic non-legendary or starter gen 5 Pokémon, or saying Alfonzo/Linebeck is the best fitting Toon-exclusive character as far as non-Triforce Trio Zelda characters go.

May be true, doesn't mean they'll be in Smash.

"And again, not all have to be compared to the larger icons in order to get in Smash."

Isn't that exactly Sakurai stresses every time he talks about a third party in Smash.
My only problem with Alfonzo is: if he becomes playable, who takes his place?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Very interesting that Sakurai is presenting something...I honestly feel like it's Roy. Not because of the picture posted with it, but because it makes so much sense that it hurts.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Personally, I ain't putting a limit on the amount of DLC fighters, but if I had to pick satisfactory DLC additions, here's what I'd end up going with (including already-announced and unannounced, but likely DLC for consistency);
  • Mewtwo
  • Lucas
  • Roy
  • Ryu
  • Wolf
  • King K.Rool
  • The Smash Ballot's runner-up
  • Ridley (comes with a patch that replaces the current model with a different model (maybe based on Ridley-X) when Ridley is used on Pyrosphere, akin to the Toon Link/Alfonso switches for the Spirit Train stage; thus why he comes last on the list).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom