• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Are you just saying that because there is a possibility of Ryu getting in Smash and pretty much has been "confirmed"?

Mario and Pacman define gaming.

Megaman and Sonic are some of the biggest Video game mascots besides Mario and Pacman.

Ryu is only the face of fighting games, he is not the level of Mario, Sonic, Pacman, or Megaman.

To be honest, the only true house hold names are Mario and Pacman. Mainly because even those who don't play video games know who they are.
no most people I talk to know who they only charcter that are like that that are missing are rayman? and maybe spyro/crash as much as I love banjo I also think he isnt likely

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Considering every iteration of Street Fighter sells more per installment than three of those franchises, I think you're grossly understating the popularity and cultural impact of Street Fighter, and conversely Ryu. He may be "that karate guy from that fighting game," but considering a majority of casual gamers probably only vaguely knew where Mega Man came from I don't think Ryu will have any less cache.
So? This is not about Sales. This is about what constitutes as a house hold name.

Do you believe someone who has never played video games, casual as them come, would be more likely to know Ryu over the likes of Mario or Pacman?

Then you have to take into the account that do. It is possible someone has not played or heard of Street Fighter, which is highly unlikely, but then there is a much better chance of them knowing who Megaman and Sonic are.

Sonic is even higher ranked than Megaman due to the fact that he took part in one of the earliest and hypest console wars.

If you want to make a case that as a character he may not fit within the Super Smash Bros that'd be one thing, but saying he is less of an icon than those three is really silly.
Not fitting in Smash Brothers is not my case. My case is that you believe him to be as iconic as the two most Iconic characters in gaming: Mario and Pacman. That right there is the silly point.

Last edited:

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
So? This is not about Sales. This is about what constitutes as a house hold name.

Do you believe someone who has never played video games, casual as them come, would be more likely to know Ryu over the likes of Mario or Pacman?

Then you have to take into the account that do. It is possible someone has not played or heard of Street Fighter, which is highly unlikely, but then there is a much better chance of them knowing who Megaman and Sonic are.

Sonic is even higher ranked than Megaman due to the fact that he took part in one of the earliest and hypest console wars.
it really depedns on what generation you started playing vg kids now proably know ryu over :snake::4megaman: as much as we all care for these guys its the truth

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Ryu is totally on the same level of Mega Man if not moreso at this point. Also Street Fighter is a very influential and genre defining series. Street Fighter 2 is a revolutionary game and a cultural phenomenon, which the same can't be said for any Mega Man. (Mega Man 2 and X are excellent, but are not comparable to SF2 in terms of impact).

Street Fighter is often referenced and parodied in the media. Mega Man is really only important in the gaming community. Realistically though, they're both not as widely recognized as Mario and Pac Man so not sure what you're trying to argue there.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
it really depedns on what generation you started playing vg kids now proably know ryu over :snake::4megaman: as much as we all care for these guys its the truth
If that is the case then you forgot :4sonic:, but to be fair Sega treats Sonic way better than Capcom treats :4megaman: now. People probably believe Ryu is the mascot now with how he his being treated.

Edit: Forgot to mention that we need to take into account the age of the children. Those who were born in 2010, would practically have no idea who Megaman is, whereas those in the 2001-2005 at least know that he had games.

Ryu is totally on the same level of Mega Man if not moreso on this point. Also the Street Fighter is a very influential and genre defining series. Street Fighter 2 is a revolutionary game and a cultural phenomenon, which the same can't be said for any Mega Man. (Mega Man 2 and X are excellent, but are not comparable to SF2 in terms of impact).
The difference is: :4megaman: is Capcom's Mascot, but that doesn't seem to be the case with how Capcom's been treating him. That is one of the major reasons why people were expecting Ryu over Megaman. Not over Ryu's possible icon status, but because of how badly Megaman has been shafted.

Ryu is not the least iconic, but considering that Megaman is practically dead in Capcom's eyes he is not really competing with anything.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
You will need to be prepared to make counter arguments against detractors who say that Final Fantasy Abandoned Nintendo and has not come back. Dragon Quest is also along the lines of this, but you can at least find their games among the Wii and 3DS (and I mean the main titles).

[This is not in favor of Dragon Quest, but counter arguments you will have.]
I will agree that main series Final Fantasy is being kept to Sony with almost no debate as it goes forward. But here's my question: Does it need to? Honestly, with all the sub-series and spin-offs that Final Fantasy gets that moves to Nintendo handhelds/Wii-ware, various re-releases of the original 6 games, and that the two companies have recently expanded for the Theatrhythm titles proves that the two are more than willing to do work together for new ways of working Final Fantasy onto Nintendo, as long as it isn't "Final Fantasy (insert number here)."

There's gonna be hard detractors for any kind of 3rd Party as a company or a character. But Square has always been at the front of discussion and Final Fantasy is the most logical series to represent the company pre-and-post Nintendo. Just like Capcom and :4megaman: and, in retrospect, Ryu.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
After Ryu the only other super iconic 3rd party characters I can think of that are left are more known for being on PlayStation, them being Snake, Cloud, Crash, and Lara Croft, maybe Heihachi? (I really have no idea how well known any of the Mishima family members are, I just know that Tekken is a pretty iconic series, same goes for Resident Evil and their main characters. The outfits that the assassins from Assassin's Creed wear are pretty damn iconic, but the individual characters are not so much, Scorpion is pretty up there in iconicness. Not counting those characters, other characters from their series (as well as the series in Smash and Street Fighter) or characters that have never appeared on a Nintendo system I think the most iconic character left would be Rayman.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I will agree that main series Final Fantasy is being kept to Sony with almost no debate as it goes forward. But here's my question: Does it need to? Honestly, with all the sub-series and spin-offs that Final Fantasy gets that moves to Nintendo handhelds/Wii-ware, various re-releases of the original 6 games, and that the two companies have recently expanded for the Theatrhythm titles proves that the two are more than willing to do work together for new ways of working Final Fantasy onto Nintendo, as long as it isn't "Final Fantasy (insert number here)."
A Franchise that is kept with Sony will not matter in due time, since the Smash rules are changing all the time. I compliment you for arguing for your desired character, but to be honest, it will not matter the longer the rules get bent, because you will not even need supportive points in the future; however, if you want counter arguments against your wanted characters I can provide them to you via message.

There's gonna be hard detractors for any kind of 3rd Party as a company or a character. But Square has always been at the front of discussion and Final Fantasy is the most logical series to represent the company pre-and-post Nintendo. Just like Capcom and :4megaman: and, in retrospect, Ryu.
Let me ask you an honest question: Do you only think that Ryu had a chance once Nintendo announced that you could vote for any Video Game characters in the ballot or when you saw the rumor?

My other question: Did you only come to accept Ryu once his entry seemed to be a certain.

On another note: Has Square always been at the front of discussion? I thought Megaman was the first one then everyone else followed; especially during the Melee days. After Snake came in, it seems that everyone was at the front of discussion.

After Ryu the only other super iconic 3rd party characters I can think of that are left are more known for being on PlayStation, them being Snake, Cloud, Crash, and Lara Croft, maybe Heihachi? (I really have no idea how well known any of the Mishima family members are, I just know that Tekken is a pretty iconic series, same goes for Resident Evil and their main characters. The outfits that the assassins from Assassin's Creed wear are pretty damn iconic, but the individual characters are not so much, Scorpion is pretty up there in iconicness. Not counting those characters, other characters from their series (as well as the series in Smash and Street Fighter) or characters that have never appeared on a Nintendo system I think the most iconic character left would be Rayman.
Super Iconic? The meaning of the word iconic in regards to video game characters has dwindled after :4pacman: and :4megaman: got in, especially after :4sonic:.

As more characters are revealed the meaning of the word "iconic" gets less and less.

It goes like this:

:4mario::4pacman: - face of gaming.

:4sonic: - took part against Nintendo in the Console Wars.

:4megaman: - Mascot? Practically feels Nintendo because he pretty much had a home at Nintendo (then he left and come back, but less each time in both directions).

:snake: - He appeared on a Nintendo console.

Notice how the meaning of iconic is now in the Snake category. It probably went down at the time of Snake's reveal, but it is being put into practice now.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
The only problem I have with Ryu is that his moveset might look too similar to Mario's and Lucario's since both of those character's movesets are inspired by his own, but I'm sure there will be a way to make him unique. Maybe they could incorporate the super combo gauges in a manner similar to Little Mac?

But seeing Ryu in Super Smash Bros. would no doubt be incredibly hype. He's as big of a Capcom character as Mega Man.

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
That's kind of a disingenuous argument since the people who haven't played a video game or have been exposed to them in some form are far and few between at this point, and the population that has are the ones being targeted anyways. Go up to anyone below the age of 35 and say "hadoken" with the motion and see how many people get the reference. I'm sure you'll be surprised.

Last edited:
Alright well i forgot to hit post so rip sora conversation. Is he really owned by disney? Because that seems like gg to me

And he is my 4th most wanted 3rd party character too. Darn

"Ryu is not iconic." ha. That is legitimately funny.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Let me ask you an honest question: Do you only think that Ryu had a chance once Nintendo announced that you could vote for any Video Game characters in the ballot or when you saw the rumor?

My other question: Did you only come to accept Ryu once his entry seemed to be a certain.

On another note: Has Square always been at the front of discussion? I thought Megaman was the first one then everyone else followed; especially during the Melee days. After Snake came in, it seems that everyone was at the front of discussion.
I believed that Ryu was the face of arcade fighters but wouldn't be in Smash because a) I haven't played more than 20 minutes of Street Fighter in my life, b) :4megaman: Capcom had a representative. Before this, fans assumed series owned by the same company fought against one another and if one was in, others won't be no matter their merits and c) he didn't really fit with the theme of Smash, in my eyes. :snake: Third Party Reps have shown that outliers to rules can still make strong impacts.

He wouldn't get the mass votes for the poll to make enough of an impact because of our self-made 1-series-per-company rule and any third parties being voted for were :snake:, indies, or C-tier series with some Nintendo history with splurts of popularity because of makers saying they want their character in.

If you haven't been on the boards as of late, I've been someone who even voted :snake:out of returning because I couldn't see 3rd Party DLC being on the market because the contract and liscencing matters of it seemed too much off of my limited knowledge.

I HAVEN'T ACCEPTED RYU. Earlier today I even stated "IF" this leak comes out to be real, here's a roster because the grounds I held firm on with 3rd Parties are theoretically destroyed by Ryu's inclusion and in general holding firm that :roypm:wasn't coming back.

And yes, Square has very predominant 3rd Party in argument. In the 1999 poll for newcomers in Smash: Melee, Rareware had James Bond and Banjo-Kazooie come up as big wants. This obviously was before the Buyout and James Bond would be such a liscencing issue and what not he was incredibly unlikely even if Rareware stayed. Square, a company that had left Nintendo for around 3 years prior to that poll, and had yet to start up the spin-off relationship with Nintendo it built across the Gamecube and Wii Era, surprisingly had Chocobo show up as a significant part of the poll after him being an "avatar" for FF classes in the first Chocobo Dungeon game on PS1.

In Brawl, Geno was the face of Square-Enix for a representative but it was still Square who was being asked for on grounds quite similar to :4sonic:and :4megaman:.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
That's kind of a disingenuous argument since the people who haven't played a video game are far and few between at this point, and the population that has are the ones being targeted anyways. Go up to anyone below the age of 35 and say "hadoken" with the motion and see how many people get the reference. I'm sure you'll be surprised.
Hadoken? Try saying "Its a me" and "Waka Waka", especially to those at 35. Those at 35 are more likely to know who Mario, Pacman and Sonic are because of how old they are.

Even more so that more people are playing video games that they should know who Mario and Pacman is.

Ryu is more towards the hardcore demographic of gamers or those who try (there are posers).

Mario and Pacman are pretty casual and more well known because of that fact.

Yeah... they treat Sonic way better...
At least they had the modesty of giving him another game. Megaman is practically being dismantled and has not been seen since being in Smash. Now here is the question, is having a game at all worse than having no game?

"Ryu is not iconic." ha. That is legitimately funny.
What level of iconic are we talking about? :4mario::4pacman:, :4sonic:, :4megaman: or :snake:? As time went on the meaning of the word iconic has dwindled, so which iconic brush are you painting him with?

I believed that Ryu was the face of arcade fighters but wouldn't be in Smash because a) I haven't played more than 20 minutes of Street Fighter in my life, b) :4megaman: Capcom had a representative. Before this, fans assumed series owned by the same company fought against one another and if one was in, others won't be no matter their merits and c) he didn't really fit with the theme of Smash, in my eyes. :snake: Third Party Reps have shown that outliers to rules can still make strong impacts.
Yes, however, as more characters are introduced so are the reasons believed that are conspired to why they are in.

He wouldn't get the mass votes for the poll to make enough of an impact because of our self-made 1-series-per-company rule and any third parties being voted for were :snake:, indies, or C-tier series with some Nintendo history with splurts of popularity because of makers saying they want their character in.
My question in regards to Ryu. If Capcom still had no representative, would you still believe people would be pioneering as hard for Ryu as much as Megaman? Yes the one series per company still stands, but would people be pining so hard for Ryu if they knew Megaman was still possible?

I HAVEN'T ACCEPTED RYU. Earlier today I even stated "IF" this leak comes out to be real, here's a roster because the grounds I held firm on with 3rd Parties are theoretically destroyed by Ryu's inclusion and in general holding firm that :roypm:wasn't coming back.
I am not saying you have to accept Ryu, but is the possibility of him being in, what causes to state his "iconic" status?

It is best not to try to make rules to Smash Brothers which makes the rules itself and not a hypothesis that any can come up with.

And yes, Square has very predominant 3rd Party in argument. In the 1999 poll for newcomers in Smash: Melee, Rareware had James Bond and Banjo-Kazooie come up as big wants. This obviously was before the Buyout and James Bond would be such a liscencing issue and what not he was incredibly unlikely even if Rareware stayed. Square, a company that had left Nintendo for around 3 years prior to that poll, and had yet to start up the spin-off relationship with Nintendo it built across the Gamecube and Wii Era, surprisingly had Chocobo show up as a significant part of the poll after him being an "avatar" for FF classes in the first Chocobo Dungeon game on PS1.

In Brawl, Geno was the face of Square-Enix for a representative but it was still Square who was being asked for on grounds quite similar to :4sonic:and :4megaman:.
When was Geno the face of Square-Enix for a representative? Geno was believable yes, but he and everyone else had pretty much an even playing field. He still needed Square Enix to surrender the rights to Nintendo, so that is one thing against him.

Personally, I believe Square Enix would rather have someone who has the potential to advertise more than Geno, since they seem to be sitting on his Coffin.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I guess I'm going to try to predict the DLC calendar from here on out so here goes nothing.

June/E3 2015: Lucas is released right before E3. Ryu and Roy are announced at E3
August/September: Ryu and Roy are released, meanwhile Wolf is announced for December to go along with Star Fox Wii U
December: Wolf is released and the Smash Ballot choice #1 is announced for February
January: Smash Ballot choice #2 is announced for April
February: Smash Ballot choice #1 is released
April: Smash Ballot choice #2 is released and we get info on the last 2 or 3 smash ballot choices
June: Smash Ballot choice #3 is released.
August: Ballot choice #4 is released.
October: Ballot choice #5 if their is one is released.

Honestly can we drop this argument?

Its pretty clear this is going absolutely nowhere and its a bunch of people against one

Ps mega man had a game post brawl.
Mm 10

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Honestly can we drop this argument?

Its pretty clear this is going absolutely nowhere and its a bunch of people against one

Ps mega man had a game post brawl.
Mm 10
I told you oni (this sounds very rude, so I apologize for this beginning phrase), there is no reasoning to speculate rules on the matter, because as Scoliosis and N30N have stated:

"Smash Brothers itself makes the rules not the gamers" (not the exact words but still).

Megaman having a game post Brawl no longer matters as know having any Nintendo game in the past eligible to being in the game. Once Ryu is confirmed to be in, then that reasoning will be likely replaced.

That reasoning will only last until Smash Brothers adds in a new Third Party character that goes against those rules.

Edit: Actually, the only true reason to speculate is to kill time to see which Third Party characters got in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux : To be fair, Bayonetta isn't an iconic character, Ryu is. I still think that Bayonetta has no shot at ever being playable.
Yes, Ryu is iconic. But does he fit in Smash? Ehh, sort of. Is he closely tied to Nintendo? Not really. Does he show up a lot on Nintendo systems? Not particularly. Was he asked for or wanted? Not in the least. Does it go against what Sakurai previously said? Yeah, but a lot of stuff does nowadays. Are we even going to get SF on Wii U to make up for it? Unlikely.

So yeah sure he's iconic, but it's understandable why people aren't particularly hyped to see him. I've accepted that it's probably going to happen, but I haven't really warmed up to it.

He's fine but there are so many better choices imo.
I'll have to agree here. The only reason why I'm not totally against Ryu's inclusion is because it opens up the possibility of two Konami characters to happen someday; one being Snake and one being someone else (I want Bomberman). Other than that I'm pretty skeptical about him.
20 DLC characters? Oh god... my wallet... :laugh: I used to think that we were only going to get 5 or 6 characters altogether but with the Ryu and Roy development I wouldn't be surprised if we got at least a whole row's worth (9 or 10).
With recent developments along with "Smash 6" (yes that is likely a thing and we could be seeing it right now in our face as massive DLC), I myself have high expectations for DLC as well. Seven to nine characters is what I expect. I strongly believe that Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, Roy, Ryu, and at least two Nintendo newcomers will be in.
I don't really like Ryu or Roy but I will say that their strongly probable leak makes me a lot more optimistic about the DLC for this game. Given the leak, I'm kind of hoping that Nintendo will throw in another character in their E3 presentation just to stay ahead of the game (unless more characters get leaked in the Lucas patch and then I'll just laugh myself stupid at that point).
You just made me realize that if Nintendo knows about this, they will be furious (especially since I bet people from Nintendo are reading this forum and as such are almost certainly aware of this leak). Watch as the Lucas update reveals more DLC characters that we're shocked to hear about.
About @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones ' Nintendo NX Smash theory.... one thing that would get me to upgrade, more than a graphical fidelity upgrade or one or two bonus characters, is if they combined the stage lists from the Wii U and 3DS versions. It makes sense, as the NX is rumored to be a hybrid console.
I hope this is true, same with including the Smash Run. I feel as this would make Smash NX the definitive Smash game for me.
I say we all support Slime & Chocobo. Our new duo.

I can totally get behind this idea. I remember when I supported this back in 2011...

Speaking of slime. I know the guy has hos own spinoffs but does he have moveset potential? The lack of hands worries me but i would totally be ok with being proven wrong.

D

Deleted member

You're preaching to the choir.

I want nothing to do with Bayonetta, I've used those same arguments myself.
Should have clarified, but I was responding to this:
I don't particularly care about Ryu, but this does open up mostly good things.

Street Fighter 5 is exclusive to PS4 and PC, so Ryu getting in Smash despite the lack of any Nintendo releases only comes back to bite the people who kept saying Snake was never coming back because of MGSV not coming to the Wii U.

Also proof that third parties can even be DLC, which some people doubted for whatever reason.

Ryu and Roy could indicate that we're getting quite a bit of DLC... Roy himself being a veteran that most people discarded as never coming back, so that's only more points for Snake's return.

The only negative thing to me is the fact that Ryu is another Capcom character. And that it opens the door for the likes of Bayonetta.
The bold in particular.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux : To be fair, Bayonetta isn't an iconic character, Ryu is. I still think that Bayonetta has no shot at ever being playable.I'll have to agree here. The only reason why I'm not totally against Ryu's inclusion is because it opens up the possibility of two Konami characters to happen someday; one being Snake and one being someone else (I want Bomberman). Other than that I'm pretty skeptical about him.With recent developments along with "Smash 6" (yes that is likely a thing and we could be seeing it right now in our face as massive DLC), I myself have high expectations for DLC as well. Seven to nine characters is what I expect. I strongly believe that Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, Roy, Ryu, and at least two Nintendo newcomers will be in.You just made me realize that if Nintendo knows about this, they will be furious (especially since I bet people from Nintendo are reading this forum and as such are almost certainly aware of this leak). Watch as the Lucas update reveals more DLC characters that we're shocked to hear about.
I hope this is true, same with including the Smash Run. I feel as this would make Smash NX the definitive Smash game for me.
I can totally get behind this idea. I remember when I supported this back in 2011...
I support Team Konami all the way. I would pass out if a Konami pack with Snake and Bomberman and two stages for both of them was revealed.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Just told my girlfriend about the patch leak.
Me: "Do you know who Ryu is?"
Her: "Isn't that the Hack-a-dune guy?"

God I love her.
My dad's friend calls it "HA-BLUE-****", it's great. Seeing him imitate the E.Honda's 100-Hand Slap is pretty great too.

Hadoken? Try saying "Its a me" and "Waka Waka", especially to those at 35. Those at 35 are more likely to know who Mario, Pacman and Sonic are because of how old they are.
They're also likely to know what Hadoken is given that SF2 was one of the best selling games on both Genesis and SNES and was a super-popular arcade game. And before you say something like "lol well pacman was a super popular arcade title", so what? This is about how well-known Ryu is, you've already made your point that Pac-Man and Mario are iconic. Sure he is not as known as those two but you are severely underestimating the cultural impact and fame Street Fighter has. Vanilla SF2 is the fourth best selling SNES game, it re-popularized arcades and it is possible it almost sold as much as Pac-Man arcade machine-wise. Again, you severely underestimate how damned popular this game was.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I support Team Konami all the way. I would pass out if a Konami pack with Snake and Bomberman and two stages for both of them was revealed.
Bomberman would be my most wanted third-party character now that Mega Man is in. I would be utterly ecstatic were he to get in.
Yeah, Capcom having two characters means Sega can have two. I'd think the way I worded that would show my distaste.
Yeah I could see that. I don't think Sega will ever be getting a second character mainly because I can't think of anyone that that would be considered a legend in gaming and I definitely do not see it being Bayonetta which is an IP that only got a sequel because Nintendo stepped up to publish the second game.

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Yeah I could see that. I don't think Sega will be getting a second character mainly because I can't think of anyone that that would be considered a legend in gaming and I definitely do not see it being Bayonetta which is an IP that only got a sequel because Nintendo stepped up to publish the second game.
Again, preaching to the choir.

The only worrying thing is how well she seems to be doing on the ballots, but I still don't think she's happening.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
M

My dad's friend calls it "HA-BLUE-****", it's great. Seeing him imitate the E.Honda's 100-Hand Slap is pretty great too.

They're also likely to know what Hadoken is given that SF2 was one of the best selling games on both Genesis and SNES and was a super-popular arcade game. And before you say something like "lol well pacman was a super popular arcade title", so what? This is about how well-known Ryu is, you've already made your point that Pac-Man and Mario are iconic. Sure he is not as known as those two but you are severely underestimating the cultural impact and fame Street Fighter has. Vanilla SF2 is the fourth best selling SNES game, it re-popularized arcades and it is possible it almost sold as much as Pac-Man arcade machine-wise. Again, you severely underestimate how damned popular this game was.
And people are over estimating how popular Street Fighter 2 is in regards to Mario and Pacman.

The point was that Ryu is not the iconic level of Mario and Pacman. Maybe not even Sonic and Megaman.

My question to you is: What level of iconic is he, because that word's meaning has gone down over years.

Which Iconic Brush are you going to paint him with?

:4mario::4pacman::4sonic::4megaman::snake:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
lol Ryu IS iconic enough to compare to Mario, Sonic or Pac-Man... he's known by gamers and non-gamers.. everyone knows the "Hadouken guy" (or even the Hadouken yell);.. he's "the guy from Street Fighter"... at very least.
There's no contest on this; isn't a matter of opinion, c'mon guys... He is the fighting genre as a single character.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
lol Ryu IS iconic enough to compare to Mario, Sonic or Pac-Man... he's known by gamers and non-gamers.. everyone knows the "Hadouken guy" (or even the Hadouken yell);.. he's "the guy from Street Fighter"... at very least.
There's no contest on this; isn't a matter of opinion, c'mon guys... He is the fighting games as a character.
He is not Cyber. Ryu is known mainly to the 20-35 year crowd, whereas Mario and Pacman are known throughout the ages.

Pacman is even more recognized because his games are on iphones and transcend over multiple devices and ages, even more so than Mario because of his games being on Iphones/Androids already.

It is not a matter of opinion, but a statement of fact.

Ryu is iconic, but not in the leagues of Mario and Pacman.

So Cyber, which Iconic Brush will you paint Ryu? The word Iconic has lost its meaning over the years.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Isn't Shulk a Final Fantasy character? (lol)

Yeah, but I'd take freaking Geno over a Final Fantasy character. And I don't even like Geno.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Bayonetta is the closest thing to a popular, relevant, pretty iconic, and close to Nintendo character right now to get a shot as playable as far as (non-Sonic) SEGA characters go.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
He is not Cyber. Ryu is known mainly to the 20-35 year crowd, whereas Mario and Pacman are known throughout the ages.

Pacman is even more recognized because his games are on iphones and transcend over multiple devices and ages, even more so than Mario because of his games being on Iphones/Androids already.

It is not a matter of opinion, but a statement of fact.

Ryu is iconic, but not in the leagues of Mario and Pacman.

So Cyber, which Iconic Brush will you paint Ryu? The word Iconic has lost its meaning over the years.
There's no difference between Street Fighter and the other characters you put into comparison.. SF is all over the place, has plenty of games nowadays with a lot of exposure (even in a crossover with MARVEL Comics, which is always well seen by the young generation), has games on Mobiles devices too, and very strong in the pop culture... you see T-Shirts and all kind of stuff everywhere.

--Mega Man can be just known by the 25-30 crowd, but Street Fighter never had weakening of impact or media, just like Mario

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
Considering every iteration of Street Fighter sells more per installment than three of those franchises, I think you're grossly understating the popularity and cultural impact of Street Fighter, and conversely Ryu. He may be "that karate guy from that fighting game," but considering a majority of casual gamers probably only vaguely knew where Mega Man came from I don't think Ryu will have any less cache.

If you want to make a case that as a character he may not fit within the Super Smash Bros that'd be one thing, but saying he is less of an icon than those three is really silly.
This is kind of where I stand, Ryu definitely is a huge icon. He was my "main" way back when I would play sf2 in the arcades when it was new, and later at home on the SNES, (something many on this forum I suspect never did), but anyhow, as a former Ryu main, I'm kind of against his inclusion to smash, and I'm totally biased here but his moves will just seem strange and awkward to be pulling off with one or two button presses, I get the feeling it will kind of seem like cheating or a cheap knockoff, if that makes any sense, but I suppose I will withhold judgement until I play it, (assuming it is true).

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I like how Ryu having sound files in Smash suddenly make him a household name.

Yeah, he's iconic, in gaming, but I'm laughing trying to imagine some kid's parents going "Oh yeah, Ryu!"

Now wait for someone to take this the wrong way and go on a tangent about how legendary Ryu is.
Bayonetta is the closest thing to a popular, relevant, pretty iconic, and close to Nintendo character right now to get a shot as playable as far as (non-Sonic) SEGA characters go.
Bayonetta is as far from iconic as you can get without being an indie.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
There's no difference between Street Fighter and the other characters you put into comparison.. SF is all over the place, has plenty of games nowadays with a lot of exposure (even in a crossover with MARVEL Comics, which is always well seen by the young generation), has games on Mobiles devices too, and very strong in the pop culture... you see T-Shirts and all kind of stuff.

--Mega Man can be just known by the 25-30 crowd, but Street Fighter never had weakening of impact or media, just like Mario
There is a difference Cyber, you are just refusing to see it.

Pacman is what defined gaming back in the Eighties. Ever heard of Pacman fever?

Mario is what popularized video games to the casual crowd during the gaming crash because of its accessibility.

T-Shirts is your argument? I see more Mario and Pacman shirts worn and in public than Ryu.

How recognizable is Ryu compared to Pacman and Mario, Cyber? That is the definition of iconic.

Ryu defines the fighting genre, but Pacman and Mario define gaming as a whole.

One genre is nothing compared to the whole gaming scene.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I told you oni (this sounds very rude, so I apologize for this beginning phrase), there is no reasoning to speculate rules on the matter, because as Scoliosis and N30N have stated:

"Smash Brothers itself makes the rules not the gamers" (not the exact words but still).

Megaman having a game post Brawl no longer matters as know having any Nintendo game in the past eligible to being in the game. Once Ryu is confirmed to be in, then that reasoning will be likely replaced.

That reasoning will only last until Smash Brothers adds in a new Third Party character that goes against those rules.

Edit: Actually, the only true reason to speculate is to kill time to see which Third Party characters got in.
To be fair, Sakurai said that as a rule. You just have to have A GAME on a Nintendo console to be added.

The fan part was, "ermagherd, he only has 2 games. Screw that!"

D

Deleted member

Which is not saying much. In terms of popularity, I doubt she will maintain her popularity as we go longer without a Bayonetta game on a Nintendo system. And how is Bayonetta even close to iconic? She only had two games; the first one wasn't enough to justify a sequel published by Sega and the sequel sold poorly anyway.

Trying to argue that she is the tallest ****** is pointless; she isn't anywhere near the same level as Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, or Ryu and as such has no business being a guest in a Smash game.
This is kind of where I stand, Ryu definitely is a huge icon. He was my "main" way back when I would play sf2 in the arcades when it was new, and later at home on the SNES, (something many on this forum I suspect never did), but anyhow, as a former Ryu main, I'm kind of against his inclusion to smash, and I'm totally biased here but his moves will just seem strange and awkward to be pulling off with one or two button presses, I get the feeling it will kind of seem like cheating or a cheap knockoff, if that makes any sense, but I suppose I will withhold judgement until I play it, (assuming it is true).
I used to play Super Street Fighter II on the SNES when I was a young child; it was the first game I ever played on that console and the first Capcom game I touched. Let's just say my experience with this game has been interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom