• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I suggest reading the moveset analysis I posted before you say she's not a good choice at all, it seems most of you are ignoring it as if it was nothing.
Honestly, aside from her erotic behavior in the game, there's is a lot to like about her with moveset potential once you see gameplay.

Bayonetta's moveset is pretty much based on "stripping" for attacks. Removing those ideas would not only water her character down heavily, but also destroy who she is. I mean...all she would become is just another female fighter. Let's not forget to mention that while she is a "hot" third party character, she isn't as legendary as the four who made Brawl and 3DS/Wii U. Oh and guns...they aren't good for Smash as well, that's why Snake got a bazooka for one of his Smash attacks

On another note, BluePikmin is WhiteEagle. Prepare to have your mind blown

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
So... with Dream Land 64 practically confirmed for the 3DS version...
Do you think a DLC Kirby stage for the Wii U version is likely?

And maybe Bandana Dee?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
And it happened on PlayStation. As did every subsequent iteration.
So uhhh....

Apparently Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes was totally released on Playstaion.

Yeah.

So... with Dream Land 64 practically confirmed for the 3DS version...
Do you think a DLC Kirby stage for the Wii U version is likely?

And maybe Bandana Dee?
Fountain of Dreams.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Bayonetta is the kind of character that goes completely against Sakurai's criteria for 3rd parties.
Yet, there is no specific criteria rules other than the interview in Famitsu in October and his "special case" criteria.
We don't know if Sakurai will just strictly add just super famous icons as DLC, for all we know, he could just change his mind even though Sakurai said things against certain characters like "no fighting game characters aloud" pre-Smash 4.

If the rules can be broken for fighting game characters, the unconfirmed rules can be potentially broken for 3rd parties too.

I'm just saying, don't set your expectations on just the icons, in reality, it is anyone's game.
(Please don't joke about "BRB voting for random 3rd party", you know what I mean.)

People must be convinced to buy the game/DLC upon seeing a character in Smash. All sorts of players have to be impressed and hyped by a third party appearing in Smash. They have to be characters people know they AREN'T Nintendo characters. This is the appeal of a third party character in Smash.
Sakurai can make any newcomer hype-worthy if he plays the cards right with the trailer, screenshots, and newcomer posters that are made to get people excited about buying him. (In which he does anyway) He can make Krystal, Shovel Knight, Bayonetta, and other highly debated characters look attracting and exciting to play as. I don't really find this a strong excuse to not make other 3rd parties playable really.

Last edited:

Strofirko

Smash Master
I really want to know how popular Bayo is by smash 5.

see how much of a fad she is/isnt. My money is on fad but who knows
Travis touchdown had some support before smash 4 announcement,than it vanished...
I can't say the same for bayonetta,but she is more the mitghy No9 from Devil May cry in the view of some supporters,only time will tell.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
#REMEMBERTHEHYPE

Hopefully more DLC we keep letting us have these moments of hype and surprise.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
#REMEMBERTHEHYPE

Hopefully more DLC we keep letting us have these moments of hype and surprise.
I remember ****ting my pants in excitement when I saw Lucina, but then my hype meter went down immediately upon seeing Robin and went ape****

...yeah that was a great day

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I've started playing FE7, and now I really (multiply to infinitesimal integer) want Lyn in Smash.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
In regards to this Ryu iconicness discussion.
I would think that Ryu is more iconic than Mega man.
If not that, he is certainly more important to the history of video games.
As a person who has never played a megaman game in his life, in terms of iconicness I have to give it to megaman. Not only do I just see more people talk about and make content for him, but at the same time Megaman is usually consider the definition of retro games. When people talk about retro games, people usually think of Megaman. Heck, Sakurai even said that retaining his 8 bit look for smash was a top priority.

But I will say, that Ryu is probably more important.
:4mario: v. :4sonic: v. :4megaman: v.
v. :4pacman: v.
v.
v. View attachment 47983

Is what getting an iconic rep that's fairly closely related to Nintendo would look like.

Coincidentally there's one from each of Nintendo's notable friends.
I like this list.

As for dreamland 64, I don't like the idea of having another battlefield with a small wind effect to make it a tiny bit different. However, making Fountain of Dreams a wii u stage would make up for it. (or adding a new stage for Kirby in general).

Project M and OUR support!

Can't leave the bread half baked Oni :3
Honestly I feel really bad for Lyn. Her greatest feat is slowly becoming less and less important and her relevancy keeps decreasing. . . I would love a way for FE to start reusing older characters like Lyn, roy, etc. would be nice.

One day I will finish FE 7 (and the whole series) but im holding off all . . .forbidden gaming until college because I doubt I will be able to bring enough consoles to keep myself occupied for 4 years :/
why I havent bought CODENAME steam and monster hunter either even though I desperately want to try them.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Honestly I feel really bad for Lyn. Her greatest feat is slowly becoming less and less important and her relevancy keeps decreasing. . . I would love a way for FE to start reusing older characters like Lyn, roy, etc. would be nice.

One day I will finish FE 7 (and the whole series) but im holding off all . . .forbidden gaming until college because I doubt I will be able to bring enough consoles to keep myself occupied for 4 years :/
why I havent bought CODENAME steam and monster hunter either even though I desperately want to try them.
But they did do that...As in the DLC for awakening. And all the Spotpass characters you could download

So in the manner of two ways, They did reuse Lyn and all of the the others in more than one way :3

Atleast, thats how I like to think about it.

But they did do that...As in the DLC for awakening. And all the Spotpass characters you could download

So in the manner of two ways, They did reuse Lyn and all of the the others in more than one way :3

Atleast, thats how I like to think about it.
yeah I know about that but I meant in a real way. (lol SU reference)

like actual story importance that isnt optional and extra cash. I have no idea how but im sure plenty of people would love to follow lyn or roy on another journey.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
In all honesty, I'm inclined to agree with the notion that characters with preconfirmed roles (ATs and so forth) shouldn't have their support threads locked. It's not like having them open is causing any trouble or interfering with the rights of others, it's just people discussing why they like the character and want to see them in Smash.

Ridley's thread was locked because of the huge kerfuffle it caused way back when, and Sakurai officially disconfirmed him in person - that ship has sailed. Others, like Lyn and Ashley, don't have that luxury. Hell, for all we know, the next DLC character could be a promoted AT, and that would disrupt the entire paradigm and force us to rethink things from the ground up.

I dunno, it just seems a little arbitrary to me to say that certain characters' fans are left out in the cold because of an unspecified norm. While it makes sense to lock those threads because we think they have no chance of being playable, we don't know that for a fact. There was a time when third-party candidates would have been a laughable notion. I don't see the harm in it.

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
yeah I know about that but I meant in a real way. (lol SU reference)

like actual story importance that isnt optional and extra cash. I have no idea how but im sure plenty of people would love to follow lyn or roy on another journey.
In that case, perhaps Lyn could get a legacy character Like Ike did in Awakening.

And that other chick in Persona X Fire Emblem looked alot like Lyn..even though she is in the wrong class.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I certainly rather keep Lyn as an AT, I just love when she starts swinging her blade with the combination of "TASTE MY BLADE!"
It's very satisfying.
Yet you can't conceive of that very sequence being initiated by the player in the form of a Final Smash?

ATs are great, but some of them just make you think, "Man I wish I was playing that character."

I cry every time I summon Isabelle.

At least Isaac isn't an AT anymore.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I certainly rather keep Lyn as an AT, I just love when she starts swinging her blade with the combination of "TASTE MY BLADE!"
It's very satisfying.
Ah yes, the very unfitting voice for Lyndis. Seriously, the chick sounds like shes in her 50s compared to an 18/19 year old girl.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
In all honesty, I'm inclined to agree with the notion that characters with preconfirmed roles (ATs and so forth) should have their support threads locked. It's not like having them open is causing any trouble or interfering with the rights of others, it's just people discussing why they like the character and want to see them in Smash.

Ridley's thread was locked because of the huge kerfuffle it caused way back when, and Sakurai officially disconfirmed him in person - that ship has sailed. Others, like Lyn and Ashley, don't have that luxury. Hell, for all we know, the next DLC character could be a promoted AT, and that would disrupt the entire paradigm and force us to rethink things from the ground up.

I dunno, it just seems a little arbitrary to me to say that certain characters' fans are left out in the cold because of an unspecified norm. While it makes sense to lock those threads because we think they have no chance of being playable, we don't know that for a fact. There was a time when third-party candidates would have been a laughable notion. I don't see the harm in it.

I agree and disagree. On one hand, you are right they aren't really causing trouble...

At the same time, they do take up space on things like the front page of the character forum. Granted, there is the index thread, but I feel more people are incline to look at the front page more.

Oh yeah, also fights are more likely to happen.

Yet you can't conceive of that very sequence being initiated by the player in the form of a Final Smash?

ATs are great, but some of them just make you think, "Man I wish I was playing that character."

But yes, I do get this feeling as well. Mainly with Ashley and yes Isabelle.

Last edited:
In all honesty, I'm inclined to agree with the notion that characters with preconfirmed roles (ATs and so forth) should have their support threads locked. It's not like having them open is causing any trouble or interfering with the rights of others, it's just people discussing why they like the character and want to see them in Smash.

im assuming you meant unlocked? I do agree with this (except with maybe an exception for ridley. sakurai's statement plus trolls equals no fun for mods)
In that case, perhaps Lyn could get a legacy character Like Ike did in Awakening.

And that other chick in Persona X Fire Emblem looked alot like Lyn..even though she is in the wrong class.
hmm. I think that might be a problem because then it isnt lyn being important but the new guy/gal.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Yet, there is no specific criteria rules other than the interview in Famitsu in October and his "special case" criteria.
We don't know if Sakurai will just strictly add just super famous icons as DLC, for all we know, he could just change his mind even though Sakurai said things against certain characters like "no fighting game characters aloud" pre-Smash 4.

I'm just saying, don't set your expectations on just the icons, in reality, it is anyone's game.
(Please don't joke about "BRB voting for random 3rd party", you know what I mean.)

Sakurai can make any newcomer hype-worthy if he plays the cards right with the trailer, screenshots, and newcomer posters that are made to get people excited about buying him. (In which he does anyway) He can make Krystal, Shovel Knight, Bayonetta, and other highly debated characters look attracting and exciting to play as. I don't really find this a strong excuse to not make other 3rd parties playable really.
The argument isn't that non-iconic characters can't be DLC, the argument is that non iconic third party characters aren't getting in period, DLC or not. As Lucas and Roy already show, non iconic Nintendo characters can be DLC, but Bayonetta is not a Nintendo character. As Sakurai has already said before, it's hard enough to work with second party Nintendo characters (Pokemon), and third parties are a real pain to deal with legally, they aren't going to go through the trouble for just any old Joe. Bayonetta is the definition of just any old Joe, she's just another throwaway IP among a pile of them that Sega has, and as Frostwraith already pointed out, she had a single game that hardly did well and would have never gotten a sequel had Nintendo not stepped in. And no, Nintendo stepping in for a sequel to Bayonetta does not mean Nintendo wants her in Smash, if anything they were trying to broaden the demographic of the Wii U (they specifically wanted to target "hardcore" gamers at the time).

Can Sakurai "make a character hypeworthy?" Sure he can, but you're missing the point completely. A third party character shouldn't have to be made hypeworthy, a third party character should be someone that people (and not just a niche fanbase) would instantly go "WOAH, THEY GOT THAT GUY IN?!" Think about it in terms of actors, if a movie got a big name actor in it, people would want to go see that movie, compared to some random guy who was in one or two home movies, his friends and family would go "woah, Joe got in a film!" but the general audience is going to sit their and say "who's this bloke?"

No one is saying "Bayonetta would have a boring moveset" and I'm sure most people at least acknowledge that she'd be something totally different, but a moveset is not everything. Indie characters like Shovel Knight are even worse off, sure no one else bounces around like a pogo stick, but that's not going to win him any brownie points. Third parties have to be iconic, they have to have legacy, they can't be rookies just learning to walk on their own two legs, they have to have lived and thrived throughout a lifelong career. Mega Man has 70 something + games, Sonic has spawned something larger than himself, Pac-Man was literally an icon of an era that reached outside of gaming, Metal Gear revolutionized a genre and has always been the pinnacle of cinematic gaming that a lot of others strive to achieve, Street Fighter is the game you would think of when someone brings up fighting games and frankly Smash wouldn't even exist had it not popularized the genre. What has Bayonetta done? She was a hobo that Nintendo threw some spare change at. And Indies? Don't even get me started.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I agree and disagree. On one hand, you are right they aren't really causing trouble...

At the same time, they don't take up space on things like the front page of the character forum. Granted, there is the index thread, but I feel more people are incline to look at the front page more.
I don't think that's a sufficient vindication at all.

If people aren't interested in searching for their favourite character's thread, that's their prerogative; similarly, inactive threads get buried while popular threads are consistently buoyed back to the front page. There's no guarantee that every character who's currently an AT would have a super popular support thread.

im assuming you meant unlocked? I do agree with this (except with maybe an exception for ridley. sakurai's statement plus trolls equals no fun for mods)
Yes. >w<;;

This is what happens when I try to make persuasive arguments at 1 AM.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ah yes, the very unfitting voice for Lyndis. Seriously, the chick sounds like shes in her 50s compared to an 18/19 year old girl.
Yet she sounds so badass with it. :o

Are you talking about Tom Nook, I was a little bummed when that was revealed, I got over it very quickly because I didn't think it's was very likely to happen anyway.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Are you talking about Tom Nook, I was a little bummed when that was revealed, I got over it very quickly because I didn't think it's was very likely to happen anyway.
I'm talking about Doggy Waifu Isabelle.

Legit one of my most wanted newcomers.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
isnt lyn like 14 or something? could have sworn she was absurdly young. and she certainly doesnt sound 55
As I recall, she's 16 in the Japanese version and 18 elsewhere.

Still pretty young to be traipsing around battlefields and disemboweling cavalry.

EDIT: :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
As I recall, she's 16 in the Japanese version and 18 elsewhere.

Still pretty young to be traipsing around battlefields and disemboweling cavalry.

EDIT: :4greninja:'d
You say that about Lyn, but lets not TRY to get into the even younger characters in FE's history. I think the youngest they ever had was 10 or 12.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
You know before people st
I don't like the idea that Super Smash Bros. should be a celebration of gaming in general and this is coming from someone who was one of the biggest Mega Man supporters for SSB 3DS & Wii U.

The thing that makes Super Smash Bros. as a series special is that it brings together various Nintendo franchises together both world famous and the more obscure ones like Game & Watch and Mother. I myself obviously love the concept of third-party characters in Smash, specifically ones that would make a special addition. So far, Snake, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Sonic have all done this and Ryu could potentially pull it off as well based off of him being a fighting game legend.

But here's the thing; we already have more third-party newcomers this game than we did in Brawl and it's not like we have a shortage of good Nintendo characters either (even if most of them are less well known than the batch we got in previous games). While none of the choices have been bad by any means, I do feel as we need to ask ourselves how far we really want to go when it comes to third-party characters. Like we know that third-parties aren't necessarily restricted to one character, but Street Fighter is still a legendary series that pioneered fighting games. I don't see anyone from Sega or Namco outside of maybe Tekken (and honestly, I am still skeptical about how they'll get Ryu to work) that would be considered a legendary series. As for other companies, Square Enix has Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy and I'm definitely on board with Slime or Slime & Chocobo because of the massive impact on games both franchise has had and I personally like the idea of having either as playable characters. Tecmo Koei has Ryu Hayabusa who I feel would be alright but I feel we can do better. Level 5 has Professor Layton which I feel has potential to be a legendary franchise in the future, but I don't feel it is quite there yet. Then there is Konami and I really do think that if any company should have two characters, it is this one. Snake obviously merits a return. Simon Belmont is okay, but I feel Bomberman would be the better choice because he's more of a Hudson Soft representative than anything and he helped defined multi-player gaming (plus he would be a perfect fit for Smash). Overall I feel as Slime/Slime & Chocobo and Bomberman are the best choices for third-party newcomers with Ryu Hayabusa, Layton, and Simon Belmont being okay but I can't really get behind them either. But as I said, where do we draw the line? When does it get to the point where Super Smash Bros. loses sight of it's main selling point; bringing in Nintendo's best to beat the ever loving crap out of each other? Frankly if we have to resort to characters like Bayonetta, more Sonic characters (and this is coming from someone who likes Tails), and indie characters, I'd rather see Super Smash Bros. die.

As for the question of third-party characters having ties with Nintendo, obviously everyone we have seen has at least some sort of relationship with Nintendo even if Snake is more associated with Sony platforms and Ryu with arcades. Neither are bad choices, but given that Smash Bros. is supposed to be about Nintendo characters coming together to fight each other, I'd rather if our third-party choices be ones that are more closely associated with Nintendo. This was a big reason why I so passionately supported Mega Man and it is also why the third-parties I do want to see are geared towards character that just happened to have strong relationships with Nintendo (Slime and Bomberman).When I saw Pac-Man and Chrom brought up, it was mostly in the context of them being likely additions which was partially was I was apprehensive about them being added. Now Pac-Man did turn out a lot better than I thought he would but there are good reasons why Chrom was such a poor choice and when it came to an Awakening character, I'm glad Sakurai put in Robin instead; it at least dispel the notion that Fire Emblem was just lords with swords (even if I am pretty excited about Roy likely returning but then again, I've supported him for years).
Agreed. If anyone wants to play a fighting game that celebrates more gaming in general you can check out these games,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DreamMix_TV_World_Fighters

http://www.playstationallstarsbattleroyale.com/

James bringing the thunder.

"Any old (third party) joe" aye?
It doesnt help that you made a reference to movies which is kind of his thing :p

Lets be honest only like 2 AT threads would be popular. They arent going to flood the boards. Characters should be able to get suport for the ballot anyway.

As for lyn i think her only chance really is a remake, a new game dor her, or a totally random popularity surge. Think shovel knight but for a nintendo character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom