• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
James bringing the thunder.

"Any old (third party) joe" aye?
It doesnt help that you made a reference to movies which is kind of his thing :p

Lets be honest only like 2 AT threads would be popular. They arent going to flood the boards. Characters should be able to get suport for the ballot anyway.

As for lyn i think her only chance really is a remake, a new game dor her, or a totally random popularity surge. Think shovel knight but for a nintendo character.
Sooo...Like Roy? Or Lucas? Or...perhaps just about every other smash character?

think about it, Most Smash Characters are no names til they get picked for smash

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I'm enjoying this debate more and more by the way.
The argument isn't that non-iconic characters can't be DLC, the argument is that non iconic third party characters aren't getting in period, DLC or not. As Lucas and Roy already show, non iconic Nintendo characters can be DLC, but Bayonetta is not a Nintendo character. As Sakurai has already said before, it's hard enough to work with second party Nintendo characters (Pokemon), and third parties are a real pain to deal with legally, they aren't going to go through the trouble for just any old Joe.
Um??? I was focusing on non-iconic third parties the whole time? :confused:
I don't really think Bayonetta is really much of a hassle, in fact, Hideki Kamiya has stated before he'd be willing to her in Smash if Sakurai asked him to add her in the game. This goes for every other character whose creator willingly wants their character in Smash. In reality, it would be less of a hassle and be much of easier process than you think.

In fact, Sakurai and Kamiya seem to be very close buddies with the Platinum Games visit he's done two years ago:
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=199019
Sakurai gave it to me. ;) twitpic.com/8zozrn RT @zeldaprime If u like starfox and funny games, u should get Kid Icarus Uprising on 3ds!

— 神谷英樹 Hideki Kamiya (@PG_kamiya)
It would not be much of a real trouble at all.

Kamiya's comment by the way:
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/kamiya-would-be-willing-to-put-bayonetta-in-smash-bros#.VTMA7qb0hUQ
"So it's not something that I could comment on. In fact, you could probably ask Mr. Sakurai! If Mr. Sakurai wanted to put her in the game it probably would happen and I'd be more than happy to!"

Can Sakurai "make a character hypeworthy?" Sure he can, but you're missing the point completely. A third party character shouldn't have to be made hypeworthy, a third party character should be someone that people (and not just a niche fanbase) would instantly go "WOAH, THEY GOT THAT GUY IN?!" Think about it in terms of actors, if a movie got a big name actor in it, people would want to go see that movie, compared to some random guy who was in one or two home movies, his friends and family would go "woah, Joe got in a film!" but the general audience is going to sit their and say "who's this bloke?"
They also are characters that can create on their solely by being in the game, Shovel Knight's and Bayonetta's popularity in the ballot right now is already proving that a whole load of people would get hyped for their inclusions. If you really want a random bloke who will a very small minority hyped, it would be someone like Wandering Hero from Streetpass Mii Plaza or AR Man from the AR Games that was bundled with the 3DS.

No one is saying "Bayonetta would have a boring moveset" and I'm sure most people at least acknowledge that she'd be something totally different, but a moveset is not everything. Indie characters like Shovel Knight are even worse off, sure no one else bounces around like a pogo stick, but that's not going to win him any brownie points.
*This is more-so focused on Bayonetta by the way*
It can be, especially if it's the first step Sakurai decides when deciding 3rd parties, the more promising the moveset, the more inclined Sakurai is to keep her in DLC priority list somewhere.

Third parties have to be iconic, they have to have legacy, they can't be rookies just learning to walk on their own two legs, they have to have lived and thrived throughout a lifelong career. Mega Man has 70 something + games, Sonic has spawned something larger than himself, Pac-Man was literally an icon of an era that reached outside of gaming, Metal Gear revolutionized a genre and has always been the pinnacle of cinematic gaming that a lot of others strive to achieve, Street Fighter is the game you would think of when someone brings up fighting games and frankly Smash wouldn't even exist had it not popularized the genre. What has Bayonetta done? She was a hobo that Nintendo threw some spare change at. And Indies? Don't even get me started.
The problem with this whole thing, is that it's just your opinion.
Nowhere
in Sakurai's 3rd party criteria it states they have to a legacy of some kind, nowhere does he states that they have to have 70+ plus games in order to get in, nowhere does he state that they also have to revolutionize a genre of some kind, and nowhere does it state that they have to be an icon that reached outside of gaming.
It's just your view on the 3rd party character matter, not fact that's been officially said by Sakurai.

And that view of third parties Sakurai potentially has can potentially change with DLC later on.

Still, you cannot discount the somewhat good possibility that non-iconic third parties can be in the game as DLC, it's not something to set aside easily.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Hmm...the only AT I can think of that would end up being playable in the f
uture are...

- Saki
- Ashley
- Ray MK (demoted from AT; possible DLC?)
- Dark Samus
- Little Mac (confirmed)
- Dillon
- Lyn
- Takamaru (was considered, but demoted to AT)
- Isaac (demoted from AT; possible DLC?)
- Prince Sable
- Ghirahim/Midna/Skull Kid (only if they get in another Zelda game)

BTW does anyone find it ironic that Isaac's Japan name is Robin? lol

I'm enjoying this debate more and more by the way.

I don't really think Bayonetta is really much of a hassle, in fact, Hideki Kamiya has stated before he'd be willing to her in Smash if Sakurai asked him to add her in the game. This goes for every other character whose creator willingly wants their character in Smash. In reality, it would be less of a hassle and be much of easier process than you think.
Youre making a big assumption here. Legal stuff is still involved. kojima and sakurai are friends as well and where is snake? Isnt isnt that simple.

The problem with this whole thing, is that it's just your opinion.
Nowhere
in Sakurai's 3rd party criteria it states they have to a legacy of some kind, nowhere does he states that they have to have 70+ plus games in order to get in, nowhere does he state that they also have to revolutionize a genre of some kind, and nowhere does it state that they have to be an icon that reached outside of gaming.
It's just your view on the 3rd party character matter, not fact that's been officially said by Sakurai.

And that view of third parties Sakurai potentially has can potentially change with DLC later on.

Still, you cannot discount the somewhat good possibility that non-iconic third parties can be in the game as DLC, it's not something to set aside easily.
a lot of things you are saying are opinion as well. Just saying

And there isnt an official rule (feels like ive said those words before about 3rd parties) but there is a precedent. A very large one. So far the pattern hasnt been broken. Yes patterns have been broken but going from getting another super icon to getting essentially a nobody that is very young is a very large stretch.

And again When a developer who apparently loves staying true to character would have to use character that attacks with stripping there is a problem.

PS robins japanese name is reflet so there would be no awkward overlap

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Twin Snakes is a remake of MGS1. If Twin Snakes was remade, it'd still be a MGS1 remake.
Tfw I realized my question was worded wrong :facepalm:

....What I meant to say was if MGS: TTS was released on a Sony platform.

But I digress, I'd love to keep this discussion going, but I need to finish this assignment before muh parents catch me out lol :p

She attacks with what?!?
Stripping.

Bruh.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
And even Little Jimmy would be offended by it. I mean...if it isn't PG, it's not even going to Smash

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
But Smash is Ten and Up!...though, if Tharja can't get in then Bayo has no chance.

There ya go Little Jimmy. It's all better now. No need to worry about your older brother with his hormones.

I'm sorry, I'm randomly in a gif mood for some reason lol

In all seriousness, this pretty much sums it up. Tharja was removed for some reason due to her outfit being "racy" of some sort, and I can see Bayonetta getting the backseat for the same reason.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
This will probably my last post for the night.
Youre making a big assumption here. Legal stuff is still involved. kojima and sakurai are friends as well and where is snake? Isnt isnt that simple.
I don't think that's a strong argument, specifically with Snake. There is that possibility that Sakurai planned to not add Snake in the game at all from the beginning and planned to be DLC later because he wasn't priority for the main game.

a lot of things you are saying are opinion as well. Just saying
Yeah some of them are, but you know why she has a large amount of potential that can be easily taken and transitioned to Smash. It's kinda almost fact, but not really.

And there isnt an official rule (feels like ive said those words before about 3rd parties) but there is a precedent. A very large one. So far the pattern hasnt been broken. Yes patterns have been broken but going from getting another super icon to getting essentially a nobody that is very young is a very large stretch.
And again, the pattern can be broken easily by Sakurai changing his mind, and considering DLC, it's not really much of a stretch anymore.

And again When a developer who apparently loves staying true to character would have to use character that attacks with stripping there is a problem.
Kamiya and Sakurai is likely aware that they would have to tone it down. And if they had to tone it down, they'll just tone it down and don't show the skin. Her erotic behavior may potentially be reduced to a friendlier level, but it would still be Bayonetta regardless and she would still be a fun character with the rest of the moves she can do. It's not like the camera is going to zoom into more uncomfortable spots of Bayonetta like in her own games, that's not likely going to happen especially with the rating Smash Bros. has right now.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
As I recall, she's 16 in the Japanese version and 18 elsewhere.

Still pretty young to be traipsing around battlefields and disemboweling cavalry.

EDIT: :4greninja:'d
Actually is like 15/16 (Japanese) and 18/19 (West). (First Number = Lyn's Story. Second Number = Actual Story)

Last edited:
This will probably my last post for the night.

I don't think that's a strong argument, specifically with Snake. There is that possibility that Sakurai planned to not add Snake in the game at all from the beginning and planned to be DLC later because he wasn't priority for the main game.
that wasn't the point of the argumebt. It was that there is more than just being friendly involved. There are legal practices that NEED to be involved in any character use. Not to mention various deal are probably nade (this parr is an assumption but it isnt as simple as simply saying yes. That is certain)

Yeah some of them are, but you know why she has a large amount of potential that can be easily taken and transitioned to Smash. It's kinda almost fact, but not really.
No it isnt. That is entirely subjective. besides, if its kind of a fact it 100 percent is not a fact
Kamiya and Sakurai is likely aware that they would have to tone it down. And if they had to tone it down, they'll just tone it down and don't show the skin. Her erotic behavior may potentially be reduced to a friendlier level, but it would still be Bayonetta regardless and she would still be a fun character with the rest of the moves she can do. It's not like the camera is going to zoom into more uncomfortable spots of Bayonetta like in her own games, that's not likely going to happen especially with the rating Smash Bros. has right now.
go ahead and replace bayonetta with ridley and erotic with big and you use some of the words ridley supporters do. Especially "its still ____"
The point is he is VERY strict with keeping things in character. Her hair is one of those things. If she isnt doing her thing it really isnt her.

There are so many parrelels with the ridley argument it isnt even funny

"Can be resized/toned down"
"Its still ridley/bayonetta"
etc.

Same argument, same director, same idealogy different character but also different company

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
not only does his profile say male but his name is literally gamerGuy

i dont think the /gal was really needed :p
Oh hush, you. I wasn't paying attention to the profile name, just the post. Lol

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
that wasn't the point of the argumebt. It was that there is more than just being friendly involved. There are legal practices that NEED to be involved in any character use. Not to mention various deal are probably nade (this parr is an assumption but it isnt as simple as simply saying yes. That is certain)
Wouldn't being friendly involved make things much easier for the director?
For the most part, most game creators just want to see their character in their game and that's it, they'd probably be the least strict when it comes to deals because that would just potentially frustrate Sakurai.

go ahead and replace bayonetta with ridley and erotic with big and you use some of the words ridley supporters do. Especially "its still ____"
Bayonetta isn't a giant boss that's more suited to being a boss. It's not a really valid comparison.
(Let's not turn this into a Ridley debate please, I just want focus on Bayonetta right now)

The point is he is VERY strict with keeping things in character. Her hair is one of those things. If she isnt doing her thing it really isnt her.
It would still be her as long as her personality is still there, there's a load of things that can easily make up for lack of complete accurate portrayal. In this case, I don't think he would be that strict with accurate portrayal, especially when he can do a bit of creative liberties depending on the character situation. If he can make a bit of a pass with certain characters, then I think he can do something similarly with Bayonetta with not showing skin at all.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Who are your guys' essential additions, whether it's for Smash 5 or DLC? Mine are Ridley, K. Rool and Dixie.

Troykv

Smash Master
Who are your guys' essential additions, whether it's for Smash 5 or DLC? Mine are Ridley, K. Rool and Dixie.
K. Rool is the MUST one (not exactly my favorite in my opinion... But all the support... all the popularity... all the wait... all the "DK underrepresented"... and all the Originality in the Moveset.)

The others are optional in my opinion (Although anyway I have characters that I like to use in Smash. But they are somewhat irrelevant or have to face the "reps" thing)

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Not sure there are any essential characters left. Maybe Wolf or Ice Climbers, if Sakurai could finally get them to work.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Lyndis is the only one I think needs to be on my dream roster. Good additions would be Dark Samus, Impa (HW), Snake, and Wolf

Anyone Else is free to come and go.

Aldri

Smash Cadet
Essential additions that have a shot: Isaac from Golden Sun and a Belmont from Castlevania
Dream additions: Kalas from Baten Kaitos, and I'm seconding Amaterasu

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well other than Roy, Isaac, Wolf, and K. Rool should be top priorities considering their popularity in the fanbase.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
To think were going to have to wait a good 65 days until we get any official news on DLC.

:ohwell:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
it depends what essential means here.

If it means characters that needs to be int he game, I have none. I think the roster is good as is it.

If it means characters I essentially need, than none too, I can live with the roster as is.

If it means characters i would essentially want, only Paper Mario.

You might think wolf or kkr are needed, but I just think the roster is fine as it is now.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Not sure if this was talked about, but @ Chandeelure Chandeelure said that these were more leaked files by the guy that datamined the Roy and Ryu files. It just says "Mario" a bunch of times, which are more than likely placeholders for the actual characters. So this MIGHT mean we will get at least 5 more unknown DLC characters.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Not sure if this was talked about, but @ Chandeelure Chandeelure said that these were more leaked files by the guy that datamined the Roy and Ryu files. It just says "Mario" a bunch of times, which are more than likely placeholders for the actual characters. So this MIGHT mean we will get at least 5 more unknown DLC characters.
The guy who leakes Ryu and Roy posted this information in the leaks thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom