• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That's a given. I'm not saying it WILL happen.

But the definitive opposite also sounds wrong to me. I'd like to hear the reasoning. What are valid reasons that Nintendo would not agree to it. I'm not saying there aren't but I'm implying that perhaps people are weighing them more heavily than they should.
Possibly Nintendo would think such a concession would benefit Microsoft moreso than themselves.

Or maybe they think Banjo-Kazooie is more of a Western game and Sakurai just doesn't like it.

I don't know, I'm not a Nintendo rep. It's definitely possible, I'm just saying that Microsoft saying they're cool with it is not enough. Nintendo has to be willing to take them up on the offer and jury-rig a contract, with all the legal hurdles and licensing royalties that entails.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
It doesn't matter if everyone vote for Daisy....

If Sakurai doesn't like he character, he won't add her.

it's the sad reality.

TBH, I would rather have a new director if he can do as good as a job as Sakurai does or better, yet be willing to be open minded about characters like Ridely ect.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Since we got way more than expected when Mewtwo was revealed, do you think there might be more characters than just Wolf revealed at E3? I think Ice Climbers could also be revealed, or a surprise character as Dixie Kong.
I was expecting a character other than Mewtwo in the direct.

D

Deleted member

Possibly Nintendo would think such a concession would benefit Microsoft moreso than themselves.

Or maybe they think Banjo-Kazooie is more of a Western game and Sakurai just doesn't like it.

I don't know, I'm not a Nintendo rep. It's definitely possible, I'm just saying that Microsoft saying they're cool with it is not enough. Nintendo has to be willing to take them up on the offer and jury-rig a contract, with all the legal hurdles and licensing royalties that entails.
Yeah, but you're disputing a possibility, I don't disagree with that.

I see no possible way of Nintendo allowing that.
I was merely questioning an absolution.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah, but you're disputing a possibility, I don't disagree with that.

I was merely questioning an absolution.
Absolute, not absolution.

Anyway, I agree there's no absolutes here. We can't say that Nintendo won't, any more than we can say they will. All we can say is they might and they might not.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
it's the sad reality.

TBH, I would rather have a new director if he can do as good as a job as Sakurai does or better, yet be willing to be open minded about characters like Ridely ect.
There's nothing to be open-minded about: the character doesn't work as a fighter unless you're willing to go the Gold Lightan/Sentinel route which, even then, doesn't work given the physics of Super Smash Bros. Until the Metroid series introduces a version of Ridley that isn't awkwardly proportioned to where scaling him down doesn't make him look like the flying corpse of an emaciated chicken, he'll always be some hulking figure that doesn't lend itself to being what people want him to be. I don't think a change of director will bring any change.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

I doubt it. If Banjo-Kazooie would get in, and the game would get ported to Wii U's VC, Microsoft would eventually make the profit if they continue to actually use the Banjo franchise. Or they could both see how popular the character actually is, and make a sort of deal to buy them back? I really don't know, but the thought alone is amazing.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There's nothing to be open-minded about: the character doesn't work as a fighter unless you're willing to go the Gold Lightan/Sentinel route which, even then, doesn't work given the physics of Super Smash Bros. Until the Metroid series introduces a version of Ridley that isn't awkwardly proportioned to where scaling him down makes him look like the flying corpse of an emaciated chicken, he'll always be some hulking figure that doesn't lend itself to being what people want him to be. I don't think a change of director will see it any differently.
I think other directors would be willing to compromise the integrity of the character to appease the masses.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There's nothing to be open-minded about: the character doesn't work as a fighter unless you're willing to go the Gold Lightan/Sentinel route which, even then, doesn't work given the physics of Super Smash Bros. Until the Metroid series introduces a version of Ridley that isn't awkwardly proportioned to where scaling him down doesn't make him look like the flying corpse of an emaciated chicken, he'll always be some hulking figure that doesn't lend itself to being what people want him to be. I don't think a change of director will bring any change.
This Ridley would still be possible, but I doubt people would want it

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
How about kawaii Ridley for your small size needs? :troll:

Yes, this is an official design from the Japanese manual for the first Metroid game. :awesome:

Who's such an adorable fluffy space pirate dragon? :troll::demon:

D

Deleted member

And that's why they shouldn't be director.
You're implying that all the decisions Sakurai has taken with Smash have been good:

inb4 it's a clone that took little effort. Other clones would have been taken better.

Where the hell is Dark Samus then? And why does Edgy Pit have more work done to him than lazy ass Lucina?

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I'm fine with people voting for Ridley if they hope to see him in next installment, but to expect him to be released as DLC for Sm4sh is just opening yourself up for disappointment.

RobinOnDrugs

@Kalimdori I've found you!

Honestly, I didn't expect to find anyone from here on YouTube. :p
It's like running into a friend at the grocery store only it's less awkward!

But yeah, the blank boxes are just filler. They don't mean anything.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm fine with people voting for Ridley if they hope to see him in next installment, but to expect him to be released as DLC for Sm4sh is just opening yourself up for disappointment.
Ridley is not going to be DLC. The point of voting for Ridley is basically a way of showing there is still strong demand for Ridley despite being a boss (more like degraded stage hazard again). Hopefully, it ends up convincing Sakurai or whoever is the director of the next Smash to re-evaluate Ridley, much like what happened with Villager after Brawl.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am thinking that he's right though... DLC and Amiibo are going to make Smash one of the biggest cash cows of the Wii U. I doubt they are gonna stop making characters and other content any time soon.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
You're implying that all the decisions Sakurai has taken with Smash have been good:

inb4 it's a clone that took little effort. Other clones would have been taken better.

Where the hell is Dark Samus then? And why does Edgy Pit have more work done to him than lazy *** Lucina?
Dark Samus wasn't planned as an alt like the clones were. If anything it was Dark Pit vs Alph.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You must be fun at parties then
I am the party.

Am thinking that he's right though... DLC and Amiibo are going to make Smash one of the biggest cash cows of the Wii U. I doubt they are gonna stop making characters and other content any time soon.
Me neither. What Sakurai seems to want is going to take a backseat to Nintendo's plans and the dollar signs in their eyes. :smirk:

"WII U IS DEAD NINTENDO IS DOOMED"~Some idiots
The Wii U never left life support. :p

D

Deleted member

Dark Samus wasn't planned as an alt like the clones were. If anything it was Dark Pit vs Alph.
Considering she's a recolor for Samus, then that begs the question "why?"

There are no excuses for Dark Pit.

Also, if there's a patch that needs to happen, it's one that makes the clones less lazy. Namely Lucina since there's LITERALLY no reason to play as inferior Marth outside of the fact that she's a waifu.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
It's like running into a friend at the grocery store only it's less awkward!

But yeah, the blank boxes are just filler. They don't mean anything.
I agree with you, but Im afraid that isn't the case for these pour souls that are brainwashed into thinking that the blank spaces mean something :colorful: (53 people are the people like you and me)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Also, if there's a patch that needs to happen, it's one that makes the clones less lazy. Namely Lucina since there's LITERALLY no reason to play as inferior Marth outside of the fact that she's a waifu.
Lucina is the best Waifu but she's a slightly shorter Marth who doesn't kill as good. At least make her feel different!

D

Deleted member

They spelled Angel wrong. XD
thatsthejoke.jpg

"WII U IS DEAD NINTENDO IS DOOMED"~Some idiots
Nah, those are just the Sonydrones who love to blabber on about dumb **** all the time.

>Bloodborne is released and PS4 FINALLY has ONE game
>SONY WON SONY WON, WE DID IT BROS
>BLOODBORNE GOTY ALL YEARS; BEST GAME EVER MADE 10/10

I'm not gonna lie, it's not a bad game, but the previous Souls games were superior in every way. But ofc, food always tastes better when you've had nothing to eat for months.

The Wii U never left life support. :p
WiiU might be on life support, but at least Nintendo isn't going bankrupt. :smirk:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

100%- Mewtwo and Lucas
75%- Wolf
60%- Chorus Kids and Dixie Kong
50%- (Can go either way)- Inklings, Ice Climbers
35%- King K. Rool
15%- Wonder Red, Krystal, Roy, Captain Toad, Young Link, Cross, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, and Paper Mario
10%- FE14 Avatar, Pichu, Hades, Melia, Fiora, New Pokemon Character, Impa, Daisy, and Lip
5%- Squirtle and Ivysaur
3%- Andy, Chibi Robo, Style Savvy, Fossil Fighter, Ray MK
2%- Monita, Vince, Medusa, Cranky Kong, Masked Man
1%- Mach Rider, Excitebiker, Bubbles, Muddy Mole, Mike Jones
Updated with popularity added as a factor now, will update with 3rd parties later.
Give me some more suggestions please! I think I'm missing some here.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Last time I checked, Nintendo has so much money saved that they can survive all the way up to 2052 despite losing $250 million a year. At least according to Did You Know Gaming of course.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Lucina is the best Waifu but she's a slightly shorter Marth who doesn't kill as good. At least make her feel different!
I still haven't played Fire Emblem Waifu edition, even though I finally have a 3DS now. Been having too much fun with Monster Hunter to care really.

But I would have liked it if Lucina had been the Falco to Marth's Fox. Give her more dominant aerial game with faster fall speed, and Roy's sweetspot, and you've got a solid character.

LITERALLY 30 MINUTES IN THE CHARACTER EDITOR!!

But apparently that was too much work for Lucina. Meanwhile **** Pit gets the ElectroShocker and a bunch of other crap.

Considering Marth's nerfs, I actually would have liked that. In fact, BECAUSE Marth got nerfed, I actually wanted to like Lucina...

D

Deleted member

Last time I checked, Nintendo has so much money saved that they can survive all the way up to 2052 despite losing $250 million a year. At least according to Did You Know Gaming of course.
Nintendo does, Sony on the other hand...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Something is wrong when Dr. Mario is the most different of the clone trinity. He was the only one of the three given unique idle animations, and the only one that has different properties across the board. The sad thing is up until Dark Pit and Lucina, he was the most similar clone in the series.

On a closing note on Doc, I am disappointed he was basically stripped of his advantages he had in Melee, basically nullifying the worth of his return.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
WiiU might be on life support, but at least Nintendo isn't going bankrupt. :smirk:
That much is true. Then again, that much has always been true.

100%- Mewtwo and Lucas
75%- Wolf
60%- Chorus Kids and Dixie Kong
50%- (Can go either way)- Inklings, Ice Climbers
35%- King K. Rool
15%- Wonder Red, Krystal, Roy, Captain Toad, Young Link, Cross, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, and Paper Mario
10%- FE14 Avatar, Pichu, Hades, Melia, Fiora, New Pokemon Character, Impa, Daisy, and Lip
5%- Squirtle and Ivysaur
3%- Andy, Chibi Robo, Style Savvy, Fossil Fighter, Ray MK
2%- Monita, Vince, Medusa, Cranky Kong, Masked Man
1%- Mach Rider, Excitebiker, Bubbles, Muddy Mole, Mike Jones
Updated with popularity added as a factor now, will update with 3rd parties later.
Give me some more suggestions please! I think I'm missing some here.
It's commendable how your list can get better yet still be so bad. :troll:

True as that might be, unless they recover their standing as far as hardware goes with their next outing, they're going to have a hell of an uphill battle ahead of them. :/

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I agree with you, but Im afraid that isn't the case for these pour souls that are brainwashed into thinking that the blank spaces mean something :colorful: (53 people are the people like you and me)
Seriously?:wolf:

Why did they bring that old theory back up again anyway?

Last edited:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Technically there are unused pieces of a Dr. Mario stage floating around in the game code. Hopefully that'll be a DLC stage in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom